Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Narf2029

Real Name Narf2029   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Narf2029
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 4, 2001, 03:12
Total Comments 1580 (Pro)
User ID 11815

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Feb 13, 2010, 15:27 Narf2029

Those models are crazy neat. Reminds me a lot of my city museum's miniature model of the city from decades ago. The photography tricks were excellent too.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Previews
2. Re: Gratuitous Space Battles on Cliffski’s Blog. Upcoming new features detailed Feb 13, 2010, 15:06 Narf2029

Doubt that will ever happen, given that the game is about strategic command and not tactical.  

News Comments > No PC Alan Wake
64. Re: No PC Alan Wake Feb 12, 2010, 22:46 Narf2029

Come to think of it, another reason for Microsoft to kill off PC in favor of the 360 is because they get a licensing fee for every single game unit sold for the 360. Of course, there is no such fee for selling a Windows-compatible product.  

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Feb 12, 2010, 22:42 Narf2029

It's probably the same thing as OBSE not working with D2D's Oblivion. Apparently D2D uses their own DRM on the executable, and they are not willing to share its secrets to allow OBSE to work.  

News Comments > Direct2Drive Top 10
3. Re: Direct2Drive Top 10 Feb 12, 2010, 22:00 Narf2029

It seems like there are a lot of people who say they don't like it, but at this point I'm pretty sure it's because there are a lot of people related to it period. The minority is larger because the population is larger.  

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Feb 12, 2010, 21:57 Narf2029

It's amusing enough, especially if you find it cheap.

edit: lol @ Battlefield 942

News Comments > BioShock 2 Patched
10. Re: BioShock 2 Patched Feb 12, 2010, 21:56 Narf2029

I still use 4:3 monitors. Got 2 of them on this machine in fact.  

News Comments > No PC Alan Wake
57. Re: No PC Alan Wake Feb 12, 2010, 19:01 Narf2029

Well, why not? One could make a gaming console with off-the-shelf components vs having to pay hordes of people for years to write an OS, even if it's based heavily on the previous one.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Toy Story 3 - Movie Trailer Feb 12, 2010, 11:47 Narf2029

I'm sure it will wind up on/get pulled from YouTube a million times by the end of the day.  

News Comments > Legal Briefs
1. Re: Legal Briefs Feb 12, 2010, 11:41 Narf2029

So basically Emblaze's research boils down to finding a way to word a patent so the Patent Office would give it to them. Then instead of going after everyone who infringes "their" technology, they're just going after a couple of big targets to try to get an easy score. YouTube streams video too, but I'm sure they know better than to try to bully Google if the Chinese can't do it.  

News Comments > Safety Dance
6. Re: Safety Dance Feb 12, 2010, 11:38 Narf2029

Next time I need to reformat I might consider Win7, if it's affordable by then. Otherwise, XP Pro suits me just fine.  

News Comments > City of Heroes Graphics Upgrade
22. Re: City of Heroes Graphics Upgrade Feb 12, 2010, 01:36 Narf2029

I still don't get how people today can expect depth in an MMO. No, WoW does not have depth. Depth is not doing the same thing in different places. You just can't have depth in a meaningful way while having hundreds of players interact with each other at the same time.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2010, 01:38.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead DLC Revealed
4. Re: Left 4 Dead DLC Revealed Feb 12, 2010, 01:07 Narf2029

And can be yours for just $49.99!

If you are on 360.
I think it was more a dig at how all the promised/expected things for L4D found their way into L4D2.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Borg Details, Trailer
9. Re: Star Trek Online Borg Details, Trailer Feb 12, 2010, 01:03 Narf2029

If you like Starfleet Command I don't see how you can't at least tolerate the space combat in STO. It's faster paced and not as complex but there's a reason why Starfleet Command 1, 2 and 3 all kind of bombed financially. In trying to make a mass-market MMO there is just no way they could have gone with a Starfleet Command-level of complexity, and certainly there is no way a publisher would let them. I loved Starfleet Command 2 myself but I know it's a design that appeals to a niche, and thus is a design that tanks when placed in a large market with a large budget. Having one-on-one starship fights that could last 15-30 minutes each would just not fly in a mass-market MMO.

As far as art design, I like the compromise they have between user customization and uniformity for the most part, especially since the majority of players seem to go for looks at least inspired by what they saw in their favorite movie or TV show. There are of course people with strange color schemes or strange races or both, but they seem few and far between. If the art team was focused on pew-pew and pretty things, well, that's what sells these days. I say it a lot, but if you take it for what it is, STO is good. It's not Star Trek opened up to the masses - everyone's got their own idea of what Star Trek is and should be, and you can't win by trying to cater to that any more than you can get the Orthodox church to believe the Roman Catholics got it right. Rather, it's an MMO that is based on Star Trek. Despite being set in Star Trek, it's going to cater first and foremost to MMO players.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Borg Details, Trailer
6. Re: Star Trek Online Borg Details, Trailer Feb 12, 2010, 00:17 Narf2029

Been playing since open beta, still playing almost daily. It's not fun for everyone but it's fun for me. I think with it being Star Trek, most people just have higher expectations and forget that it's an MMO. The space combat is enjoyable and even tense at times. Ground combat is not as good but I wouldn't say it's terrible like a lot of people seem to think. There really isn't much more to expect beyond that, because it's an MMO. If you take it for what it is, STO is very fun. If you're not a fan of MMOs or you expect more than what an MMO has to offer, it's not the game for you, but then no MMO really is. Or maybe just this MMO doesn't suit your tastes. Lots of people like WoW for some reason but I've tried three times to get interested in it and I just can't.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2010, 00:19.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Does Apple’s iPad Prove We’re Too Gullible? Feb 11, 2010, 23:38 Narf2029

I applaud the iPad. It's managed to do what no other Apple product has done - get Apple's customers to question them. Every time I read someone's review or discussion where they ask "What is the iPad beyond being a larger iPhone?" I smile. Looking at its capabilities I'm astounded that anyone would consider getting one. The majority of Apple customers will still blindly grab it because it says Apple on it, but Apple has finally knocked a tiny crack into the ice they've been standing on all this time.  

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Feb 11, 2010, 23:22 Narf2029

I've also played both. I'm quite satisfied to stick with 3rd. 4th is more in line with gaming in general, not just WoW. With the changes to the alignment system it's one step closer to Mother Teresa vs Baby Eater. I suppose it couldn't come as a shock, given that 3rd has the extra alignment flexibility and yet still NWN and (especially) NWN2 boil down to you ending up either as the shining pillar of virtue or the deranged sociopath with an insatiable lust for cruelty and blood who would only lift an orphan from the streets to bludgeon another orphan to death with him.

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2010, 23:54.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Feb 11, 2010, 14:28 Narf2029

There's already a 4th edition D&D video game out. They call it World of Warcraft. There is such a thing as too accessible.

edit: typo

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2010, 14:29.

18. Re: City of Heroes Graphics Upgrade Feb 10, 2010, 21:57 Narf2029

I have Champions and I'm not impressed with the character creator. Sure it has a lot of different pieces but that's the problem, they're all different. I lost count of how many times I tried to make a cohesive costume only to find that there was either a piece or a pattern missing that prevented it. It's like each body part had a dozen art teams and none of them coordinated with each other. I haven't played in a while so maybe it's improved now but I doubt it.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2010, 21:59.

3. Re: City of Heroes Graphics Upgrade Feb 10, 2010, 11:59 Narf2029

I'm more interested to see what it does to characters and their costumes. The character customization in City of Heroes is still unparalleled even in its old age, and I'm anxious to see its (hopefully) new sharper and prettier look.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2010, 12:00.

1580 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo