Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Narf2029

Real Name Narf2029   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Narf2029
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 4, 2001, 03:12
Total Comments 1588 (Pro)
User ID 11815

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 23, 2010, 18:16 Narf2029

Why is CS:S on the list? Either the numbers to get on the Top 10 are really low, or Valve just banned a bunch of players.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No WinXP Support in Just Cause 2
61. Re: No WinXP Support in Just Cause 2 Feb 23, 2010, 18:14 Narf2029

I upgrade my OS when I can get it for less than 15 bucks. My girlfriend was able to get me XP Pro last year from her college which bumped me up from Home and that's probably as new as I'm going to get in a while. Especially these days, the last thing on my mind is blowing 200 bucks on a new OS.  

News Comments > Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders
36. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 23, 2010, 02:00 Narf2029

Rigs wrote on Feb 22, 2010, 23:16:
Hell, X3's dev EGOSOFT do the same. X3 had DRM but it was turned off in a patch after the game had sold long enough. I have a feeling this will be the same deal...

If this ever does happen with SH5, they have my sale. Not one day before.

Punisher wrote on Feb 22, 2010, 18:12:
No, all that will happen is that Ubi will say "See there is no demand for sub sims, we are going to stop them".....

Sadly this is probably true. I mentioned somewhere else that no matter what we do, we lose in the short term. If we buy it, we tell Ubi that we're ok with this DRM scheme. If people pirate it, they say they're glad they went to such an extreme and only wish they had thought of something even more restrictive. If nobody buys it and nobody pirates it, Ubi just says there isn't a market for sub sims anymore and that's the end of Silent Hunter. None of those outcomes tells Ubi that we all hate their DRM scheme to death, because nobody at Ubi is going to listen anyway. The old suits can't grasp the new market no matter what we say; you might as well try teaching a cat to run the business.

This comment was edited on Feb 23, 2010, 02:08.

News Comments > Borderlands DLC this Week
10. Re: Borderlands DLC this Week Feb 23, 2010, 01:47 Narf2029

Remember the days when raised level caps and new items either came for free or came wrapped in a 15-20 hour expansion pack?  

News Comments > Legal Briefs
3. Re: Redbox Loses Feb 22, 2010, 16:58 Narf2029

It's more of the old suit mentality. Rather than try to make their company adapt to the new market, they will try to muscle the market into staying the way it was.  

16. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 22, 2010, 16:55 Narf2029

Slippery Jim wrote on Feb 22, 2010, 16:09:
I think most gamers never visit forums and won't know about the DRM. Yes, their sales will be affected, but not by as much as we hope. The average gamer has A.D.H.D. and won't sit still long enough to actually READ.

I don't think we need to worry about whether or not the average sim player reads things.

15. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 22, 2010, 16:53 Narf2029

If the Gold Edition comes without the DRM, I am so in!  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 22, 2010, 01:18 Narf2029

Do you ever have deja vu?

Didn't you just ask me that?

News Comments >
5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 22, 2010, 01:08 Narf2029

I think the shake will come soon, if it is not underway already. Seems like every other day we read here at Blue's about how one big publisher or another is screwing the customer somehow. At the same time, it is easier than ever to go independent successfully with the internet and especially broadband becoming more and more widespread. Much like the music industry is learning, the PC gaming middle man is becoming less necessary. He won't disappear overnight, of course, but unless he gets back in touch with the consumer and becomes relevant again, his end is nigh.  

News Comments > No C&C4 LAN or Dedicated Servers
31. Re: No C&C4 LAN or Dedicated Servers Feb 21, 2010, 21:52 Narf2029

Gaming is never doomed. Seems like every other year it's doomed and it's still around. It may be doomed for the big publishers today, though. As long as there's money to be made on the PC someone is gonna try to make it, and as long as there are PC gamers who want to spend money someone is gonna give them something to buy. If the big publishers aren't going to give us what we want, someone else will.  

27. Re: No C&C4 LAN or Dedicated Servers Feb 21, 2010, 18:30 Narf2029

I am just tired of the big publishers trying to screw us. The PC gaming industry is big enough that someone is going to make something I want, so I just can't be bothered to feel like I'm missing out when the big names try to ruin things. They're not gaining control of the way games are made and played. They're just stepping aside to make room for the next big thing, the big thing that they won't be selling. I think it's great of them to practically throw the entire industry to the little guys. It's like what the music industry has been going through in a way. EA and Ubi and whoever else can try to screw customers all they want, but it's ok because it's easier than ever to go independent.

I'd also like to point out that I (among other people, I'm sure) called this trend. C&C3 sold well despite lacking dedicated server support, so now C&C4 is going to continue the trend of taking things away. EA is not the only one guilty of doing this, and the list of publishers doing it will grow. And sure, dedicated server support for an RTS is not really a big deal, but you never look good by taking things away.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2010, 18:41.

25. Re: No C&C4 LAN or Dedicated Servers Feb 21, 2010, 18:12 Narf2029

This is great news. A whole generation of games I won't be getting means I don't need to upgrade my computer this time around. Saves me a bundle. And I still have plenty of other stuff I haven't yet finished that works fine on the rig I have. And not to nitpick, but you can easily support dedicated servers and still have unlocks and stats tracked by a publisher. It's like people have never heard of TF2.  

News Comments > EVE Online Tyrannis Announced
12. Re: EVE Online Tyrannis Announced Feb 20, 2010, 22:17 Narf2029

I wouldn't say you can play EVE for free when you practically have to put in a 40 hour week to make things like that happen. It's not exactly free if you have two jobs but only get paid for one.  

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: DRM Assassination Feb 20, 2010, 19:34 Narf2029

You expect people to grasp proper English on the internet? They can't even do it in school!  

News Comments > More on Ubisoft DRM
2. Re: More on Ubisoft DRM Feb 20, 2010, 13:32 Narf2029

I don't believe it for a second. If it's going to be that invasive and disruptive for Assassin's Creed 2, there is no reason for them to cut back on it for anything else. There isn't enough backlash... yet.  

News Comments > Switzerland Mulls Violent Game Ban
3. Re: Switzerland Mulls Violent Game Ban Feb 19, 2010, 12:49 Narf2029

That's the problem with career politicians. They all just do whatever they think will keep them in office for another term.  

News Comments > On Ubisoft's Online DRM
25. Re: On Ubisoft's Online DRM Feb 17, 2010, 21:39 Narf2029

DDOS attack incoming!

That would be shoot-milk-out-your-nose hilarious.

News Comments > On Ubisoft's Online DRM
12. Re: On Ubisoft's Online DRM Feb 17, 2010, 21:05 Narf2029

With this kind of DRM, people won't be pirating these games because no one will be buying them.

With this kind of DRM, it will most certainly be cracked and pirated. Some pirate group out there is gonna want to stick it to the man, especially when offered a challenging target. It may take a while but someone will. It's a damn shame though. With that kind of risk there is no way I'd buy Silent Hunter 5, which is going to use the same DRM scheme. Doing a patrol in Silent Hunter 3 can take several real-life hours. I'd go fucking nuts if I'd been on patrol for hours and my internet went out for a second, fucking me out of all that time and progress.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Feb 16, 2010, 14:36 Narf2029

IT'S A TRAP!

Damn right. Here's hoping for the Old Game Enhancement!

edit: Holy shit, am I missing something? Is Impulse's THQ pack really over $300 when Steam's is only $100 at regular price?

News Comments > Saturday Previews
18. Re: Splinter Cell Conviction Feb 14, 2010, 23:57 Narf2029

You had to get to those giant ant riders and pay them to travel. That's different.

I suppose that's a valid point, though with mark/recall you could easily avoid that risk, albeit with one extra step. Another reason I liked Oblivion's fast travel is that on my old machine, I would crash if I walked outside a city for more than 20 minutes.

I wouldn't say I was really "scared".. but knowing that you could get "startled" any moment gave you a certain feeling, whatever name you wanna tag on it.

At least in my case, I would feel that tension for maybe the first few surprises. Beyond that, I would realize I was in little danger of harm or death even at a subconscious level. Things jumping out from around the corner would still startle me now and then, but the anxiety and anticipation of that event was gone because my gun was always bigger.

in Splinter Cell Conviction you can: 1. Do stealthy kills; 2. Move silently and unseen; 3. Use stealthy gadgets; 4. Choose the renegade way and Rambo your way to the objective.
If you'd ask me, I'd say that's the sum of a stealth/action game.

If you ask me, that's the sum of an action game with a stealth gimmick bolted on. If you can reasonably succeed at option 4, options 1-3 are superfluous and only serve to make the stealth-oriented player take twice as long to complete the same game. The core aspect of a stealth game is to be specifically unable to take all enemies head on. This is why I feel there is no such thing as a stealth/action game - the end goals and the means through which you achieve them are polar opposites. In an action game, you're supposed to be a match for every bad guy on the level combined, through a combination of better guns, better armor and intelligent use of cover and lame explosive objects or spike racks. In a stealth game, every single enemy should be a deadly threat, which is ok because you are supposed to be better at observing and exploiting the environment to bypass or defeat them. In simpler terms, your goal and means in an action game involve direct action, right in the enemy's face. In a stealth game, that should be the primary thing you are trying to avoid.

they could just aswell complain why in Mass Effect 2 you can't control the Normandy to blow up things ala Descent.

This isn't exactly a fair comparison. At least to my knowledge (I haven't played Mass Effect 2 yet) there are no points in Mass Effect 2 where you do directly control the Normandy. It would not make sense to do that, since it is a third person shooter and not a space sim. If they did add that in, it would probably be as gimmicky and second-rate as the Mako was.

By trying to make a stealth/action hybrid, they are just trying to simplify the game as a whole. The net effect is almost certainly going to be a poorer game in general. By sticking to the stealth roots of the series they can continue to have a unique game. Trying to give it wider appeal is going to invite comparison to other games that do stealth OR action better, and will ultimately make the game forgettable.

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 2010, 00:06.

1588 Comments. 80 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo