Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Narf2029

Real Name Narf2029   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Narf2029
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 4, 2001, 03:12
Total Comments 1580 (Pro)
User ID 11815

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic Trailer
23. Re: Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic Trailer Mar 1, 2010, 13:24 Narf2029

Didn't know about the parking lot test. Now that's some funny shit! Funny and sad. "Screw it, we've got the government contract already. Why should we fix it?"  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Legal Briefs
2. Re: Legal Briefs Mar 1, 2010, 13:15 Narf2029

I love the guy they have as their poster child. Basically he says "I don't hate technology, no. Also, I'm not really certain what caused my brain tumor. But, cellphones are dangerous and cause tumors!" I've been using cellphones since high school and I have no tumors, and the same can be said about everyone I know. Go figure! And on top of that, my dad used to run amateur radio out of the basement for almost all of my formative years. With an antenna and transceiver right there in/on the damn house, surely we were full of electromagnetic radiation. Nope, still no tumors.  

5. Re: Judge Tosses Blind Gamer's Suit vs. Sony Mar 1, 2010, 01:18 Narf2029

Cutter wrote on Feb 27, 2010, 15:35:
It's the lawyers that should be held accountable. They'd know fully well that the suit had no merit but went ahead with it anyway in hopes SOE might just pay them off to go away and avoid some embarassing PR - afterall you don't want to be viewed as the big bully victimizing a cripple. So, they're really to blame for wasting tax dollars and further clogging up the legal system with another frivilous lawsuit. Imagine if the court forced them to cover all the costs involved AND invoke a mandatory review by their bar association if they should have their credentials pulled. That'd end frivilous lawsuits PDQ.

I think Canada does make the loser pay administrative costs. I also never hear Canadians complain about their courts being clogged up with frivolous lawsuits. Imagine that! That would never take hold in the United States though, not while lobbyists can all but buy Congressional votes in a supermarket.

News Comments > Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic Trailer
20. Re: Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic Trailer Mar 1, 2010, 01:11 Narf2029

Bard wrote on Feb 28, 2010, 11:00:
Marvin T. Martian wrote on Feb 27, 2010, 21:45:
and nothing like a NAZI sub sim to boot---sink those Unarmed Merchant Vessels and Ocean Liners like the S.S. Athenia--sweet!

What an incredibly historically ignorant comment. Kriegsmarine <> Nazi - that would be like saying the US Marines were Democrats.

The Kriegsmarine, and especially the U-boats, had the fewest Nazis of any branch of service. I think the average was less than one per boat. Their command structure no doubt had more, but the average sailor did not approve of the party. It was undoubtedly very difficult to get sailors to believe in the Nazi propaganda while they were bored out of their minds in cramped and stinky boats for weeks at a time.

More on topic, I want SH5 badly but I'm not going to support this kind of DRM. I will buy SH5 the day the DRM is patched out, and not one day before. If SH5 is $20 or $10 by then, that's Ubisoft's loss.

edit: By the way, another little tidbit of history - Nazi Germany ordered the sinking of civilian cargo ships during wartime, and they are (more) vilified for that (since they did have plenty of other things to vilify them for). The United States did the same thing to the Japanese in the Pacific, and it's strategically sound and even heroic, if you knew it had happened at all. The biggest difference is that Allied shipping eventually did get organized and well protected, while Japan's shipping did not. That and American submarines were made like shit and it's a miracle our torpedoes even worked. When a teacher told you how extra-evil Nazi Germany was for targeting cargo ships, I bet they never mentioned a word about the United States doing it too.
This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2010, 01:53.

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Feb 28, 2010, 01:41 Narf2029

I'm no fan of religion but I like my guns.  

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed
90. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 28, 2010, 01:37 Narf2029

It's like they are coming right out and saying "Fuck all you PC users. Fuck you all and die. And buy on the 360." I say good riddance. It's bad enough when a publisher treats their customers like criminals but Ubi's going to treat us all like morons on top of it.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 26, 2010, 11:49 Narf2029

Pachter Talks, For Some Reason People Listen

His job is better than being a weatherman, mainly since I'm sure he gets paid more to be wrong.

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Feb 26, 2010, 01:56 Narf2029

Well, guns did make everyone equal...  

News Comments > Star Trek Online Borg Raid Details, Trailer
7. Re: Star Trek Online Borg Raid Details, Trailer Feb 25, 2010, 23:22 Narf2029

Everyone comparing everything to WoW is a big problem. The stark differences in setting notwithstanding, of course STO isn't going to have as much content as an MMO that has been out for 5 years. Knowing Paramount/CBS, STO probably was pushed out too early so it's perhaps early yet to condemn the devs. If anything, one should condemn Atari or CBS.

And for what it matters, I've found enough to do in City of Heroes to keep me paying for 2 and a half years in total. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's plenty of fun to me. The same is true for STO. I am still entertained enough to continue playing daily.

2. Re: Legal Briefs Feb 24, 2010, 16:59 Narf2029

Every class action that "wins" ends like that.  

News Comments > Safety Dance
11. Re: Safety Dance Feb 24, 2010, 12:36 Narf2029

If you pretend LittleMe doesn't actually believe anything he says, it's pretty fun to read it. Otherwise, you can't help but think he gets his hats made by the Reynolds company.  

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM and the Armed Forces
2. Re: Ubisoft DRM and the Armed Forces Feb 24, 2010, 12:31 Narf2029

I hope they do stop supporting the PC. Make room for companies and start-ups that have a fucking clue what the market wants!  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 23, 2010, 18:16 Narf2029

Why is CS:S on the list? Either the numbers to get on the Top 10 are really low, or Valve just banned a bunch of players.  

News Comments > No WinXP Support in Just Cause 2
61. Re: No WinXP Support in Just Cause 2 Feb 23, 2010, 18:14 Narf2029

I upgrade my OS when I can get it for less than 15 bucks. My girlfriend was able to get me XP Pro last year from her college which bumped me up from Home and that's probably as new as I'm going to get in a while. Especially these days, the last thing on my mind is blowing 200 bucks on a new OS.  

News Comments > Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders
36. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 23, 2010, 02:00 Narf2029

Rigs wrote on Feb 22, 2010, 23:16:
Hell, X3's dev EGOSOFT do the same. X3 had DRM but it was turned off in a patch after the game had sold long enough. I have a feeling this will be the same deal...

If this ever does happen with SH5, they have my sale. Not one day before.

Punisher wrote on Feb 22, 2010, 18:12:
No, all that will happen is that Ubi will say "See there is no demand for sub sims, we are going to stop them".....

Sadly this is probably true. I mentioned somewhere else that no matter what we do, we lose in the short term. If we buy it, we tell Ubi that we're ok with this DRM scheme. If people pirate it, they say they're glad they went to such an extreme and only wish they had thought of something even more restrictive. If nobody buys it and nobody pirates it, Ubi just says there isn't a market for sub sims anymore and that's the end of Silent Hunter. None of those outcomes tells Ubi that we all hate their DRM scheme to death, because nobody at Ubi is going to listen anyway. The old suits can't grasp the new market no matter what we say; you might as well try teaching a cat to run the business.

This comment was edited on Feb 23, 2010, 02:08.

News Comments > Borderlands DLC this Week
10. Re: Borderlands DLC this Week Feb 23, 2010, 01:47 Narf2029

Remember the days when raised level caps and new items either came for free or came wrapped in a 15-20 hour expansion pack?  

3. Re: Redbox Loses Feb 22, 2010, 16:58 Narf2029

It's more of the old suit mentality. Rather than try to make their company adapt to the new market, they will try to muscle the market into staying the way it was.  

16. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 22, 2010, 16:55 Narf2029

Slippery Jim wrote on Feb 22, 2010, 16:09:
I think most gamers never visit forums and won't know about the DRM. Yes, their sales will be affected, but not by as much as we hope. The average gamer has A.D.H.D. and won't sit still long enough to actually READ.

I don't think we need to worry about whether or not the average sim player reads things.

15. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 22, 2010, 16:53 Narf2029

If the Gold Edition comes without the DRM, I am so in!  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 22, 2010, 01:18 Narf2029

Do you ever have deja vu?

Didn't you just ask me that?

1580 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo