Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Narf2029

Real Name Narf2029   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Narf2029
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 4, 2001, 03:12
Total Comments 1572 (Pro)
User ID 11815

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Trek Online Borg Raid Details, Trailer
7. Re: Star Trek Online Borg Raid Details, Trailer Feb 25, 2010, 23:22 Narf2029

Everyone comparing everything to WoW is a big problem. The stark differences in setting notwithstanding, of course STO isn't going to have as much content as an MMO that has been out for 5 years. Knowing Paramount/CBS, STO probably was pushed out too early so it's perhaps early yet to condemn the devs. If anything, one should condemn Atari or CBS.

And for what it matters, I've found enough to do in City of Heroes to keep me paying for 2 and a half years in total. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's plenty of fun to me. The same is true for STO. I am still entertained enough to continue playing daily.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Legal Briefs
2. Re: Legal Briefs Feb 24, 2010, 16:59 Narf2029

Every class action that "wins" ends like that.  

News Comments > Safety Dance
11. Re: Safety Dance Feb 24, 2010, 12:36 Narf2029

If you pretend LittleMe doesn't actually believe anything he says, it's pretty fun to read it. Otherwise, you can't help but think he gets his hats made by the Reynolds company.  

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM and the Armed Forces
2. Re: Ubisoft DRM and the Armed Forces Feb 24, 2010, 12:31 Narf2029

I hope they do stop supporting the PC. Make room for companies and start-ups that have a fucking clue what the market wants!  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 23, 2010, 18:16 Narf2029

Why is CS:S on the list? Either the numbers to get on the Top 10 are really low, or Valve just banned a bunch of players.  

News Comments > No WinXP Support in Just Cause 2
61. Re: No WinXP Support in Just Cause 2 Feb 23, 2010, 18:14 Narf2029

I upgrade my OS when I can get it for less than 15 bucks. My girlfriend was able to get me XP Pro last year from her college which bumped me up from Home and that's probably as new as I'm going to get in a while. Especially these days, the last thing on my mind is blowing 200 bucks on a new OS.  

News Comments > Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders
36. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 23, 2010, 02:00 Narf2029

Rigs wrote on Feb 22, 2010, 23:16:
Hell, X3's dev EGOSOFT do the same. X3 had DRM but it was turned off in a patch after the game had sold long enough. I have a feeling this will be the same deal...

If this ever does happen with SH5, they have my sale. Not one day before.

Punisher wrote on Feb 22, 2010, 18:12:
No, all that will happen is that Ubi will say "See there is no demand for sub sims, we are going to stop them".....

Sadly this is probably true. I mentioned somewhere else that no matter what we do, we lose in the short term. If we buy it, we tell Ubi that we're ok with this DRM scheme. If people pirate it, they say they're glad they went to such an extreme and only wish they had thought of something even more restrictive. If nobody buys it and nobody pirates it, Ubi just says there isn't a market for sub sims anymore and that's the end of Silent Hunter. None of those outcomes tells Ubi that we all hate their DRM scheme to death, because nobody at Ubi is going to listen anyway. The old suits can't grasp the new market no matter what we say; you might as well try teaching a cat to run the business.

This comment was edited on Feb 23, 2010, 02:08.

News Comments > Borderlands DLC this Week
10. Re: Borderlands DLC this Week Feb 23, 2010, 01:47 Narf2029

Remember the days when raised level caps and new items either came for free or came wrapped in a 15-20 hour expansion pack?  

News Comments > Legal Briefs
3. Re: Redbox Loses Feb 22, 2010, 16:58 Narf2029

It's more of the old suit mentality. Rather than try to make their company adapt to the new market, they will try to muscle the market into staying the way it was.  

16. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 22, 2010, 16:55 Narf2029

Slippery Jim wrote on Feb 22, 2010, 16:09:
I think most gamers never visit forums and won't know about the DRM. Yes, their sales will be affected, but not by as much as we hope. The average gamer has A.D.H.D. and won't sit still long enough to actually READ.

I don't think we need to worry about whether or not the average sim player reads things.

15. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 22, 2010, 16:53 Narf2029

If the Gold Edition comes without the DRM, I am so in!  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 22, 2010, 01:18 Narf2029

Do you ever have deja vu?

Didn't you just ask me that?

News Comments >
5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 22, 2010, 01:08 Narf2029

I think the shake will come soon, if it is not underway already. Seems like every other day we read here at Blue's about how one big publisher or another is screwing the customer somehow. At the same time, it is easier than ever to go independent successfully with the internet and especially broadband becoming more and more widespread. Much like the music industry is learning, the PC gaming middle man is becoming less necessary. He won't disappear overnight, of course, but unless he gets back in touch with the consumer and becomes relevant again, his end is nigh.  

News Comments > No C&C4 LAN or Dedicated Servers
31. Re: No C&C4 LAN or Dedicated Servers Feb 21, 2010, 21:52 Narf2029

Gaming is never doomed. Seems like every other year it's doomed and it's still around. It may be doomed for the big publishers today, though. As long as there's money to be made on the PC someone is gonna try to make it, and as long as there are PC gamers who want to spend money someone is gonna give them something to buy. If the big publishers aren't going to give us what we want, someone else will.  

27. Re: No C&C4 LAN or Dedicated Servers Feb 21, 2010, 18:30 Narf2029

I am just tired of the big publishers trying to screw us. The PC gaming industry is big enough that someone is going to make something I want, so I just can't be bothered to feel like I'm missing out when the big names try to ruin things. They're not gaining control of the way games are made and played. They're just stepping aside to make room for the next big thing, the big thing that they won't be selling. I think it's great of them to practically throw the entire industry to the little guys. It's like what the music industry has been going through in a way. EA and Ubi and whoever else can try to screw customers all they want, but it's ok because it's easier than ever to go independent.

I'd also like to point out that I (among other people, I'm sure) called this trend. C&C3 sold well despite lacking dedicated server support, so now C&C4 is going to continue the trend of taking things away. EA is not the only one guilty of doing this, and the list of publishers doing it will grow. And sure, dedicated server support for an RTS is not really a big deal, but you never look good by taking things away.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2010, 18:41.

25. Re: No C&C4 LAN or Dedicated Servers Feb 21, 2010, 18:12 Narf2029

This is great news. A whole generation of games I won't be getting means I don't need to upgrade my computer this time around. Saves me a bundle. And I still have plenty of other stuff I haven't yet finished that works fine on the rig I have. And not to nitpick, but you can easily support dedicated servers and still have unlocks and stats tracked by a publisher. It's like people have never heard of TF2.  

News Comments > EVE Online Tyrannis Announced
12. Re: EVE Online Tyrannis Announced Feb 20, 2010, 22:17 Narf2029

I wouldn't say you can play EVE for free when you practically have to put in a 40 hour week to make things like that happen. It's not exactly free if you have two jobs but only get paid for one.  

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: DRM Assassination Feb 20, 2010, 19:34 Narf2029

You expect people to grasp proper English on the internet? They can't even do it in school!  

News Comments > More on Ubisoft DRM
2. Re: More on Ubisoft DRM Feb 20, 2010, 13:32 Narf2029

I don't believe it for a second. If it's going to be that invasive and disruptive for Assassin's Creed 2, there is no reason for them to cut back on it for anything else. There isn't enough backlash... yet.  

News Comments > Switzerland Mulls Violent Game Ban
3. Re: Switzerland Mulls Violent Game Ban Feb 19, 2010, 12:49 Narf2029

That's the problem with career politicians. They all just do whatever they think will keep them in office for another term.  

1572 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo