Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Narf2029

Real Name Narf2029   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Narf2029
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 4, 2001, 03:12
Total Comments 1588 (Pro)
User ID 11815

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Metaverse
4. Re: Metaverse Mar 3, 2010, 12:04 Narf2029

He says that like there isn't any propaganda on American media. There's always going to be someone who wants to tell you how to think, but that doesn't mean you should listen.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Team Fortress 2's Cancelled Repair Node
1. Re: On Team Fortress 2's Cancelled Repair Node Mar 3, 2010, 12:03 Narf2029

It sounds like it makes the engineer less predictable and gives him something less routine to do each round. How exactly is that bad?  

News Comments > Blizzard Working on Multiple Diablo Sequels?
11. Re: Blizzard Working on Multiple Diablo Sequels? Mar 3, 2010, 01:20 Narf2029

Here's the sequels to the Diablo franchise! Diablo III, Act I. Diablo III, Act II. Diablo III, Act III... Diablo III, Nightmare Difficulty!  

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2010, 13:53 Narf2029

The Advocate wrote on Mar 2, 2010, 13:43:
However, we can use the auto industry as a comparison. Let's take the Ford Mustang. Since 1963, Ford has probably dumped billions in to that model alone in terms of R&D, tooling, testing, production and support. Yet Ford doesn't get a cut of every used Mustang that is sold. They offset their costs by the sale of these cars new. Just like every other rational business who's been successful for decades, if not a century or more.

Plain and simple, this an attempt by these publishers to control the secondary and tertiary markets. I think this plan will backfire on them in the long run given that nostalgia of old games often times can generate sales of new games in the same franchise. Most publishers tend to run their companies on the rise and fall of short term markets solely, which is to their peril as we've learned from companies like Sierra, Interplay and others.

^^ This. Today's latest and harshest efforts to slow or stop piracy are going to destroy the industry. Ubi's latest DRM scheme is what happens when you go to the extreme of doing whatever it takes to make a profit today and today only. Tomorrow is going to bite Ubi in the ass and they will never see it coming because of this myopic focus on making a profit today. Successful companies are planning to keep customers years in advance. Ubi, on the other hand, seems to be planning to keep customers for the next few minutes. Tomorrow doesn't matter, and yesterday doesn't matter. Only problem is they don't realize how few the customers are today because they don't look at how many there were yesterday, and they are not concerned with how many they will lose by tomorrow.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2010, 13:43 Narf2029

Ashley wrote on Mar 2, 2010, 13:38:
I think that this could actually make Ubisoft rich.
I've been doing internet advertising buying and selling for over ten years and frankly, if Ubisoft were my company, I would be making $100 million a day in advertising alone within a year.
Imagine playing the latest iteration of Assassin's Creed and you are scaling the outside of a building when your path is suddenly blocked by something. It's a billboard that you must climb across that Says "Evony" and has a picture of a woman sucking a banana on it. Do you realize what Evony would pay you for that?
If your on Ubi's board of directors, email me. I'll tell you how. It's good to have friends in high places

Evony would pay loads of money for that opportunity, the first time. The second time they might not be so eager. If the ads are going to be really effective, they have to go out of their way to be seen. Gamers resent that and they pass that resentment on, not only to the advertiser but also to the host of the advertisement. On the other hand, if the ads are subtle background elements, many gamers won't notice them at all. In either case, the end result is less-than-effective advertising. It would not take long for Evony to realize they were paying for a lot more than they were getting. I personally would not mind realistic advertisements in a realistically-set game, but how often does that happen? No, what we get is a game set in modern times with a Coke machine on every single street corner, or every single bench and barrier we take cover behind has a Coke ad on it.

News Comments > Safety Dance
5. Re: Safety Dance Mar 2, 2010, 13:32 Narf2029

I don't see how it could be the credit card company's fault either. They're not making you use your credit card in an unwise way. The lesson, of course, is to not transmit personal information on a public network. I still do not understand why this concept is so difficult to grasp for some people.  

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2010, 13:25 Narf2029

Verno wrote on Mar 2, 2010, 13:18:
Because it doesn't cost 60mil to make a cd but it does cost 50mil to make your average game. Applying analogies to other industries doesn't work if you don't take scale into account. There's a reason broadcasting rights exist for example, many TV shows couldn't get production money from investing studios/networks/etc without it. It's not just about profit margins, a lot of it is about cashflow and projections too. Gaming is a pretty complicated industry in some respects but it has a very simplistic revenue stream that is mainly derived from product sales, it doesn't have many ancillary industries attached to it like music, television and so on.

That's a problem with the industry, not with its consumers. If you can't make a profit from your first run of sales, your budget is too damn big. It's just not realistic thinking to spend $50-100 million on a game if they are having so much trouble making a profit from it that they have to punish every consumer in a vain effort to stamp out piracy. Consumers buy used because they do not want to take a big financial risk. Other industries accept that and deal with it by trying to minimize their own financial risks. The gaming industry instead takes their financial risk and tries to force the consumer to bear its consequences. If AAA games did not have such outlandishly vast budgets, there would be no gigantic risk at all and nobody would have to bear that great load. There would still be some risk, of course, but as a consumer I don't feel it's my responsibility to bear the risk of someone else's poor financial planning. Making their game profitable is not my job.

edit: What just popped into my head is that perhaps the gaming industry feels it should be able to turn a profit from its first run of sales, but they are overlooking (or deliberately not factoring in) the detail that if your budget gets higher that becomes more difficult. It's not like more people are going to buy something simply because they spent more money on making it (except if they're in the fashion industry).

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2010, 13:37.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2010, 13:13 Narf2029

Ashley wrote on Mar 2, 2010, 12:45:
It is also driven by it's ability to eliminate some of the secondary market that sells used copies which Ubisoft gets paid only once while it is sold and resold as used.

I never thought I would come out in favor of EA but their plan is like the proverbial sliced bread compared to this. By putting a portion of their games into day-one DLC that is free to the first user, they give the first user a complete experience while still allowing them to resell the game since it will still basically function without that DLC. The second user that wants the full experience is going to have to buy the DLC, but if he is fine with the basic experience he doesn't have to. It's still sneaky and underhanded but at least it's not overwrought and draconian like Ubi's plan.

I still don't get why devs and pubs feel they are entitled to a cut of resales anyway. No other industry has this idea in their head. When you buy used, you have a cheaper look at what a company can do. When it's time to buy again, you know whether or not you like what that company has to offer because you had a lower-risk way of finding out. Other industries don't have this issue with customers buying used because it increases the likelihood that they will buy new the next time. They hope you will buy new because of what you learned when buying used. They hope you will buy new because they are trying to earn your business. Lately, it seems like the gaming industry feels like it is entitled to your money whether they deserve it or not.

There is also the issue that some people are going to buy used no matter what. There are also people who are going to pirate games no matter what. These are people who are never going to be swayed, ever. How does it make good business sense to try to force those two crowds to buy your stuff when your methods drive away the customers who want to buy it? Is it really a victory to get one pirate to buy it if you lost ten regular customers in turning him around?

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2010, 13:19.

News Comments > Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic Trailer
23. Re: Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic Trailer Mar 1, 2010, 13:24 Narf2029

Didn't know about the parking lot test. Now that's some funny shit! Funny and sad. "Screw it, we've got the government contract already. Why should we fix it?"  

News Comments > Legal Briefs
2. Re: Legal Briefs Mar 1, 2010, 13:15 Narf2029

I love the guy they have as their poster child. Basically he says "I don't hate technology, no. Also, I'm not really certain what caused my brain tumor. But, cellphones are dangerous and cause tumors!" I've been using cellphones since high school and I have no tumors, and the same can be said about everyone I know. Go figure! And on top of that, my dad used to run amateur radio out of the basement for almost all of my formative years. With an antenna and transceiver right there in/on the damn house, surely we were full of electromagnetic radiation. Nope, still no tumors.  

5. Re: Judge Tosses Blind Gamer's Suit vs. Sony Mar 1, 2010, 01:18 Narf2029

Cutter wrote on Feb 27, 2010, 15:35:
It's the lawyers that should be held accountable. They'd know fully well that the suit had no merit but went ahead with it anyway in hopes SOE might just pay them off to go away and avoid some embarassing PR - afterall you don't want to be viewed as the big bully victimizing a cripple. So, they're really to blame for wasting tax dollars and further clogging up the legal system with another frivilous lawsuit. Imagine if the court forced them to cover all the costs involved AND invoke a mandatory review by their bar association if they should have their credentials pulled. That'd end frivilous lawsuits PDQ.

I think Canada does make the loser pay administrative costs. I also never hear Canadians complain about their courts being clogged up with frivolous lawsuits. Imagine that! That would never take hold in the United States though, not while lobbyists can all but buy Congressional votes in a supermarket.

News Comments > Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic Trailer
20. Re: Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic Trailer Mar 1, 2010, 01:11 Narf2029

Bard wrote on Feb 28, 2010, 11:00:
Marvin T. Martian wrote on Feb 27, 2010, 21:45:
and nothing like a NAZI sub sim to boot---sink those Unarmed Merchant Vessels and Ocean Liners like the S.S. Athenia--sweet!

What an incredibly historically ignorant comment. Kriegsmarine <> Nazi - that would be like saying the US Marines were Democrats.

The Kriegsmarine, and especially the U-boats, had the fewest Nazis of any branch of service. I think the average was less than one per boat. Their command structure no doubt had more, but the average sailor did not approve of the party. It was undoubtedly very difficult to get sailors to believe in the Nazi propaganda while they were bored out of their minds in cramped and stinky boats for weeks at a time.

More on topic, I want SH5 badly but I'm not going to support this kind of DRM. I will buy SH5 the day the DRM is patched out, and not one day before. If SH5 is $20 or $10 by then, that's Ubisoft's loss.

edit: By the way, another little tidbit of history - Nazi Germany ordered the sinking of civilian cargo ships during wartime, and they are (more) vilified for that (since they did have plenty of other things to vilify them for). The United States did the same thing to the Japanese in the Pacific, and it's strategically sound and even heroic, if you knew it had happened at all. The biggest difference is that Allied shipping eventually did get organized and well protected, while Japan's shipping did not. That and American submarines were made like shit and it's a miracle our torpedoes even worked. When a teacher told you how extra-evil Nazi Germany was for targeting cargo ships, I bet they never mentioned a word about the United States doing it too.
This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2010, 01:53.

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Feb 28, 2010, 01:41 Narf2029

I'm no fan of religion but I like my guns.  

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed
90. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 28, 2010, 01:37 Narf2029

It's like they are coming right out and saying "Fuck all you PC users. Fuck you all and die. And buy on the 360." I say good riddance. It's bad enough when a publisher treats their customers like criminals but Ubi's going to treat us all like morons on top of it.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 26, 2010, 11:49 Narf2029

Pachter Talks, For Some Reason People Listen

His job is better than being a weatherman, mainly since I'm sure he gets paid more to be wrong.

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Feb 26, 2010, 01:56 Narf2029

Well, guns did make everyone equal...  

News Comments > Star Trek Online Borg Raid Details, Trailer
7. Re: Star Trek Online Borg Raid Details, Trailer Feb 25, 2010, 23:22 Narf2029

Everyone comparing everything to WoW is a big problem. The stark differences in setting notwithstanding, of course STO isn't going to have as much content as an MMO that has been out for 5 years. Knowing Paramount/CBS, STO probably was pushed out too early so it's perhaps early yet to condemn the devs. If anything, one should condemn Atari or CBS.

And for what it matters, I've found enough to do in City of Heroes to keep me paying for 2 and a half years in total. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's plenty of fun to me. The same is true for STO. I am still entertained enough to continue playing daily.

2. Re: Legal Briefs Feb 24, 2010, 16:59 Narf2029

Every class action that "wins" ends like that.  

News Comments > Safety Dance
11. Re: Safety Dance Feb 24, 2010, 12:36 Narf2029

If you pretend LittleMe doesn't actually believe anything he says, it's pretty fun to read it. Otherwise, you can't help but think he gets his hats made by the Reynolds company.  

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM and the Armed Forces
2. Re: Ubisoft DRM and the Armed Forces Feb 24, 2010, 12:31 Narf2029

I hope they do stop supporting the PC. Make room for companies and start-ups that have a fucking clue what the market wants!  

1588 Comments. 80 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo