Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Narf2029

Real Name Narf2029   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Narf2029
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 4, 2001, 03:12
Total Comments 1580 (Pro)
User ID 11815

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 10, 2010, 01:19 Narf2029

I just flash block. Text and static image ads don't bug me, and I try to click them on sites that I like unless the particular ad is offensive or for a product that annoys me. Unless someone comes up with a truly effective alternative, ads are the only simple and effective way for sites to generate income.

edit: Just noticed those very ads I tolerate don't seem to be loading tonight.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2010, 13:34 Narf2029

Onion might not be funny anymore because it's so hard to satirize a government that is seriously considering a tax on pizza. I shit you not. If the real thing is that ridiculous, you really have to go above and beyond to top it. They're already taxing soft drinks in some places so it's not a big stretch.

edit: took digging to find it again but http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6275T720100309

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2010, 13:43.

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Servers Resume
6. Re: Ubisoft DRM Servers Resume Mar 9, 2010, 13:28 Narf2029

Maybe ubisoft can offer a que so people wanting to play can wait in line...

Now that would be rich - a queue to play a single player game.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
10. Re: Morning Screenshots Mar 9, 2010, 02:48 Narf2029

Damnit, every time I switch brands they become shitty again. I bet in a couple years I'll buy an ATI card from their last good series before they turn to shit once more.  

News Comments > What Kind of Mafioso Reads Playboy?
13. Re: What Kind of Mafioso Reads Playboy? Mar 9, 2010, 02:45 Narf2029

PHJF wrote on Mar 9, 2010, 00:59:
Only if when you find it in game you unlock an external .PDF of the issue in question.

*cough* For posterity, of course. These are historical documents and they need to be... hmmm.... examined. Yes. Quite thoroughly, I should think.

I hardly think 40s-50s material is gonna be that stimulating to a modern audience... Americans are so conservative about sex it might as well be a Victorian-era image, you know, like a picture of Her Majesty the Queen without her hat on.

News Comments > Safety Dance
5. Re: Safety Dance Mar 8, 2010, 02:54 Narf2029

Pumas wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 01:30:
When we switched from 14 gallon recycle bins to 95 gallon rolling cans, the county was able to lower taxes since they saved $1 million a year in trash disposal.

That's pretty neat. My community had the small bins and came for them only once a week. Needless to say, nobody really embraced the idea of recycling when the truck would only come once a week to get such a small amount of recyclables that they would have barely filled a sock drawer. Then, the recycling program ended since apparently there was no public interest. Wall

News Comments > Metaverse
49. Re: Metaverse Mar 8, 2010, 02:35 Narf2029

I tend to agree more with toon here. Blue's would not be the same without ad revenue. Any high quality site without subscriptions would change dramatically if the people running them didn't make back enough money to keep that level of attention toward running it. The guy running it probably makes it so well because it's his primary or sole source of income. If his ad revenue falls off, it's not like he can eat less or pay less rent - he's going to go get another job, and your favorite website is going to get cut back or even disappear altogether. Websites don't exist simply because we viewers want to see them. Someone has to make them and that someone needs food.

I do vehemently oppose obtrusive/loud/flashy/obnoxious ads as well as ads that pop up over half the screen and block everything under them, so I use flashblock to turn them off. Static image ads and text ads get through just fine. Adblock, on the other hand, kills it all. If you never see any ad ever, how long until you forget to support even your favorite website? I try to click through ads here on Blue's but even with flashblock's icon over the flash element, it slips my mind a lot more often than I would like. At the same time, along the right edge of the page as I type there is a static image ad. It didn't jump out at me, but I know it's there and I clicked it because I figure Blue deserves a portion of a penny for all his hard work (or however much he really gets) and mainly because it did not drive me crazy to do it.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 8, 2010, 02:12 Narf2029

Depends on why they cut that. It can add a lot of work and cost to include backward compatibility, and sometimes more components. Imagine if the Wii was designed to work with every past Nintendo product, and how many extra ports that would entail. Hardly sleek looking!  

3. Re: Metaverse Mar 7, 2010, 13:20 Narf2029

I still like Firefox but man does it use a lot of memory these days.  

News Comments > NVIDIA Driver Issue
3. Re: NVIDIA Driver Issue Mar 4, 2010, 22:43 Narf2029

It's more like "cause overheating, which causes intermittent frame rates."  

News Comments > Star Trek Online Brouhaha
4. Re: Star Trek Online Brouhaha Mar 4, 2010, 22:38 Narf2029

One more time: if you go in with realistic expectations, STO is good. Everyone's upset that it isn't the second coming. It's not the second coming, it's an MMO. It doesn't have deeply engrossing story material, it's an MMO. It doesn't have Starfleet Command's glacial pace of combat nor its depth of tactics, it's an MMO. Though I do find the space combat very fun and engaging FOR AN MMO. It's repetitive, yes, but so is WoW and nobody complains about that. If anything, you've got less repetition in STO because you don't spend half your play time grinding for gear. The only bad realistic element to STO is that because of the huge number of Star Trek fans in the world, the whiny peanut gallery has more babies in it than any MMO I've played. I don't think the whine community in STO is proportionally larger, it's just larger by merit of a larger population in general.

Also, everyone that says TOR is going to be substantially better is kidding themselves. It too will be an MMO, after all, and everyone who believes it will have a better story faces a rude awakening in the future. That is, unless TOR turns out to be a single player/cooperative game with a monthly fee...

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2010, 22:48.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. U.S. Considers Brake Override System on All Cars Mar 3, 2010, 12:08 Narf2029

Don't all cars already have these "brake override" things to stop sudden acceleration? Like say, the parking brake? Putting the transmission into neutral? You'd tear up your parking brake but better that than your kids.  

4. Re: Metaverse Mar 3, 2010, 12:04 Narf2029

He says that like there isn't any propaganda on American media. There's always going to be someone who wants to tell you how to think, but that doesn't mean you should listen.  

News Comments > On Team Fortress 2's Cancelled Repair Node
1. Re: On Team Fortress 2's Cancelled Repair Node Mar 3, 2010, 12:03 Narf2029

It sounds like it makes the engineer less predictable and gives him something less routine to do each round. How exactly is that bad?  

News Comments > Blizzard Working on Multiple Diablo Sequels?
11. Re: Blizzard Working on Multiple Diablo Sequels? Mar 3, 2010, 01:20 Narf2029

Here's the sequels to the Diablo franchise! Diablo III, Act I. Diablo III, Act II. Diablo III, Act III... Diablo III, Nightmare Difficulty!  

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2010, 13:53 Narf2029

The Advocate wrote on Mar 2, 2010, 13:43:
However, we can use the auto industry as a comparison. Let's take the Ford Mustang. Since 1963, Ford has probably dumped billions in to that model alone in terms of R&D, tooling, testing, production and support. Yet Ford doesn't get a cut of every used Mustang that is sold. They offset their costs by the sale of these cars new. Just like every other rational business who's been successful for decades, if not a century or more.

Plain and simple, this an attempt by these publishers to control the secondary and tertiary markets. I think this plan will backfire on them in the long run given that nostalgia of old games often times can generate sales of new games in the same franchise. Most publishers tend to run their companies on the rise and fall of short term markets solely, which is to their peril as we've learned from companies like Sierra, Interplay and others.

^^ This. Today's latest and harshest efforts to slow or stop piracy are going to destroy the industry. Ubi's latest DRM scheme is what happens when you go to the extreme of doing whatever it takes to make a profit today and today only. Tomorrow is going to bite Ubi in the ass and they will never see it coming because of this myopic focus on making a profit today. Successful companies are planning to keep customers years in advance. Ubi, on the other hand, seems to be planning to keep customers for the next few minutes. Tomorrow doesn't matter, and yesterday doesn't matter. Only problem is they don't realize how few the customers are today because they don't look at how many there were yesterday, and they are not concerned with how many they will lose by tomorrow.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2010, 13:43 Narf2029

Ashley wrote on Mar 2, 2010, 13:38:
I think that this could actually make Ubisoft rich.
I've been doing internet advertising buying and selling for over ten years and frankly, if Ubisoft were my company, I would be making $100 million a day in advertising alone within a year.
Imagine playing the latest iteration of Assassin's Creed and you are scaling the outside of a building when your path is suddenly blocked by something. It's a billboard that you must climb across that Says "Evony" and has a picture of a woman sucking a banana on it. Do you realize what Evony would pay you for that?
If your on Ubi's board of directors, email me. I'll tell you how. It's good to have friends in high places

Evony would pay loads of money for that opportunity, the first time. The second time they might not be so eager. If the ads are going to be really effective, they have to go out of their way to be seen. Gamers resent that and they pass that resentment on, not only to the advertiser but also to the host of the advertisement. On the other hand, if the ads are subtle background elements, many gamers won't notice them at all. In either case, the end result is less-than-effective advertising. It would not take long for Evony to realize they were paying for a lot more than they were getting. I personally would not mind realistic advertisements in a realistically-set game, but how often does that happen? No, what we get is a game set in modern times with a Coke machine on every single street corner, or every single bench and barrier we take cover behind has a Coke ad on it.

News Comments > Safety Dance
5. Re: Safety Dance Mar 2, 2010, 13:32 Narf2029

I don't see how it could be the credit card company's fault either. They're not making you use your credit card in an unwise way. The lesson, of course, is to not transmit personal information on a public network. I still do not understand why this concept is so difficult to grasp for some people.  

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2010, 13:25 Narf2029

Verno wrote on Mar 2, 2010, 13:18:
Because it doesn't cost 60mil to make a cd but it does cost 50mil to make your average game. Applying analogies to other industries doesn't work if you don't take scale into account. There's a reason broadcasting rights exist for example, many TV shows couldn't get production money from investing studios/networks/etc without it. It's not just about profit margins, a lot of it is about cashflow and projections too. Gaming is a pretty complicated industry in some respects but it has a very simplistic revenue stream that is mainly derived from product sales, it doesn't have many ancillary industries attached to it like music, television and so on.

That's a problem with the industry, not with its consumers. If you can't make a profit from your first run of sales, your budget is too damn big. It's just not realistic thinking to spend $50-100 million on a game if they are having so much trouble making a profit from it that they have to punish every consumer in a vain effort to stamp out piracy. Consumers buy used because they do not want to take a big financial risk. Other industries accept that and deal with it by trying to minimize their own financial risks. The gaming industry instead takes their financial risk and tries to force the consumer to bear its consequences. If AAA games did not have such outlandishly vast budgets, there would be no gigantic risk at all and nobody would have to bear that great load. There would still be some risk, of course, but as a consumer I don't feel it's my responsibility to bear the risk of someone else's poor financial planning. Making their game profitable is not my job.

edit: What just popped into my head is that perhaps the gaming industry feels it should be able to turn a profit from its first run of sales, but they are overlooking (or deliberately not factoring in) the detail that if your budget gets higher that becomes more difficult. It's not like more people are going to buy something simply because they spent more money on making it (except if they're in the fashion industry).

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2010, 13:37.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2010, 13:13 Narf2029

Ashley wrote on Mar 2, 2010, 12:45:
It is also driven by it's ability to eliminate some of the secondary market that sells used copies which Ubisoft gets paid only once while it is sold and resold as used.

I never thought I would come out in favor of EA but their plan is like the proverbial sliced bread compared to this. By putting a portion of their games into day-one DLC that is free to the first user, they give the first user a complete experience while still allowing them to resell the game since it will still basically function without that DLC. The second user that wants the full experience is going to have to buy the DLC, but if he is fine with the basic experience he doesn't have to. It's still sneaky and underhanded but at least it's not overwrought and draconian like Ubi's plan.

I still don't get why devs and pubs feel they are entitled to a cut of resales anyway. No other industry has this idea in their head. When you buy used, you have a cheaper look at what a company can do. When it's time to buy again, you know whether or not you like what that company has to offer because you had a lower-risk way of finding out. Other industries don't have this issue with customers buying used because it increases the likelihood that they will buy new the next time. They hope you will buy new because of what you learned when buying used. They hope you will buy new because they are trying to earn your business. Lately, it seems like the gaming industry feels like it is entitled to your money whether they deserve it or not.

There is also the issue that some people are going to buy used no matter what. There are also people who are going to pirate games no matter what. These are people who are never going to be swayed, ever. How does it make good business sense to try to force those two crowds to buy your stuff when your methods drive away the customers who want to buy it? Is it really a victory to get one pirate to buy it if you lost ten regular customers in turning him around?

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2010, 13:19.

1580 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo