Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Narf2029

Real Name Narf2029   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Narf2029
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 4, 2001, 03:12
Total Comments 1585 (Pro)
User ID 11815

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: wow Mar 28, 2010, 17:34 Narf2029

Maybe but if they raise the price, it's just going to make waiting for the DVD look like a better option than it already is.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 27, 2010, 06:46 Narf2029

Then there's privacy. Yes, the PATRIOT Act is the biggest invasion of privacy ever and The Devil. However, Republicans will always be the first to start screaming about invasions of privacy. And, of course, I have to defend it a little bit. I mean, if you're not doing anything wrong, what do you have to worry about?

This kind of attitude is why the government can keep taking away civil liberty and we largely allow them to do so. I would not be surprised at all if one day soon you will have to submit to DNA testing to get on a plane, and people will not complain because "it keeps me safe from terrorists!" Would you let your local police search your car or house anytime they wanted? Even if you have nothing to hide? What if they do it specifically when you are not around? When does it stop being ok and start being invasive?

And the more important question : how many acts of domestic terrorism have been carried out in the United States since the PATRIOT Act became law? Compare that to how many acts of domestic terrorism were prevented - something you don't hear about very often.

The Patriot Act virtually stopped all domestic terrorism, yes. Why? Because terrorists know now that they don't have to actually do anything to scare us and change our way of life - their two primary goals. We do all the work for them. If acts of terrorism send you to Islam's equivalent of heaven, bin Laden is going to be appointed the lord and master of heaven for orchestrating a single act that is still damaging our society almost 9 years later. As for prevention, blame Clinton and his policy of not allowing the CIA to use informants if they were criminals.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2010, 06:52.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Mar 27, 2010, 02:19 Narf2029

I wouldn't qualify it as an enhancement myself when at best it would bring the patient to what is average and even taken for granted by most people.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Mar 27, 2010, 02:16 Narf2029

Fantastic, a statistic that makes me feel young again.  

News Comments > NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews
10. Re: NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews Mar 27, 2010, 02:14 Narf2029

I stuck it out with ATI even after they started to decline, but I swear as soon as I gave up and switched to Nvidia they turned to shit too and ATI bounced back. At least I got mine just before the decline. It's surprisingly good for a $50 card.  

News Comments > Half-Life Pulse Detected
9. Re: Half-Life Pulse Detected Mar 27, 2010, 02:11 Narf2029

I stopped caring about a new Half Life years ago. I figure I win no matter what happens, since if one never comes out I may not even notice and if one does come out I'll be pleasantly surprised.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Mar 24, 2010, 12:08 Narf2029

I don't think kids today know anything about the unintentionally awful things that camp tries to parody, so I would think the humor is lost on them. That and apparently "realism" is the current cool thing in sandbox games if people think GTA IV is better than Saints Row 2.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 23, 2010, 02:01 Narf2029

LittleMe wrote on Mar 23, 2010, 01:36:
Because it wasn't necessary. We had free clinics and health care was much cheaper. Now with insurance, it rewarded very expensive solutions so that's what we got more of.

It's like when before the govt starting guaranteeing student loans, a college education was cheap. All these good intentions are a path to hell.
I can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with LittleMe's point. Colleges do charge whatever they want out of an assurance that the government will pay it (or well, loan money for it), so it's not a stretch to imagine the same happening for healthcare now. However, healthcare costs in the United States are already absurdly high which is probably the main problem. I really doubt mandated insurance is going to do anything except drive that cost even higher.

On the other hand, if a federal law was enacted that protected healthcare professionals from being sued every time a procedure doesn't go exactly as the patient hoped, that could allow healthcare costs to go down. Of course they wouldn't actually go down since the healthcare industry knows it can get what it charges now, and it would just use lawsuit protection as a way to further increase profits.

News Comments > Violent Game Talk
14. Re: Violent Game Talk Mar 23, 2010, 01:26 Narf2029

Anyone remember when rock music was turning us all into Satan's children?  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 23, 2010, 01:20 Narf2029

I just think it's funny that we were the only industrialized country in the world that didn't guarantee healthcare to its citizens... and now that this bill has passed, we kinda still are. I don't follow it much but the bit about being fined for not having insurance is great for those people who still don't make enough money to afford any, even if the government pays part of the premiums. Not letting insurers discriminate against pre-existing conditions is going to be a riot too since they're just going to raise everyone's rates instead. The more I think about this bill, the more I think it's the worst "fix" possible for healthcare in the United States. The proper solution would never fly here though.  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2010, 20:28 Narf2029

I'm gonna go with X.  

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Mar 20, 2010, 19:54 Narf2029

Except the Sims already has vampires and werewolves...  

News Comments > Just Cause 2 Patched
10. Re: Just Cause 2 Patched Mar 19, 2010, 21:24 Narf2029

I'd personally put Saints Row 2 higher up the list. It's honest and successful in its intent to provide mindless and over-the-top entertainment, and it's fun. I found GTA4 to be tedious most of the time by comparison, which was disappointing. Didn't try Just Cause, and I can't try Just Cause 2 on my antique XP rig so for all I know it could be the second coming.  

News Comments > Star Trek Online Trailer
6. Re: Star Trek Online Trailer Mar 17, 2010, 19:51 Narf2029

As a game, I'm still having plenty of fun with it. It's an MMO with Star Trek wrapped around it, and that's good enough for me. I knew going in it wasn't going to be an epic game that redefined the MMO genre just because it said Star Trek on the box. Really, I don't know how anyone could have such an expectation given that 4 out of 5 Star Trek games to date are shit. At least this one is fun, if you like MMOs. Everyone has their own tastes though. If you don't like most other major MMOs, this is not going to change your opinion of them.  

News Comments > Star Trek Online Trailer
2. Re: Star Trek Online Trailer Mar 17, 2010, 13:55 Narf2029

I don't think an episode like Darmok would translate well into an MMO. It would serve to just bore the overwhelming majority of players, who would go to a Wiki for the answers rather than solve it on their own. It is an MMO first, and almost every other major MMO has fighting as its core. Certainly they all have it as a major element.  

News Comments > Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork
22. Re: Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork Mar 17, 2010, 02:51 Narf2029

Or how about a study to see if piss-poor education with the wrong priorities dooms our schoolkids to a life of intellectual inferiority? At least for us Americans anyway.  

News Comments > Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork
20. Re: Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork Mar 17, 2010, 00:17 Narf2029

Maybe parents shouldn't let their kids play video games instead of doing their homework or going to bed on time, huh? I know I'm crazy to suggest that parents tell their kids no and take their shit away from them when they misbehave, but I really think it's a solid idea.  

News Comments > Legal Briefs
2. Re: Legal Briefs Mar 16, 2010, 01:16 Narf2029

Ah, but don't forget, morons are the single largest voting demographic. A good politician never bites the hand that feeds him.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2010, 15:04 Narf2029

I hope this campaign stunt of having a corporate candidate turns out well. By turning out well, I mean that I hope it's seen as an attempt by corporations to directly alter our government rather than the current lobbying and bribery behind the scenes, with the appropriate backlash.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 14, 2010, 23:56 Narf2029

Jerykk wrote on Mar 14, 2010, 21:25:
Disappointing amount of pre-orders for the Dragon Age expansion. I'd like to say that it's because it's an expansion but Chaos Rising is an expansion too. I don't think it's a matter of marketing either, as both expansions have received about the same amount. I guess it must be the price.

I would definitely say it's the price. I was browsing the RPG section on Steam and I thought "Neat, Dragon Age has already gone down a bit!" before I realized I was looking at the expansion and not the game itself.

1585 Comments. 80 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo