Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Narf2029

Real Name Narf2029   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Narf2029
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 4, 2001, 03:12
Total Comments 1579 (Pro)
User ID 11815

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 3, 2010, 03:24 Narf2029

You probably also think there isn't enough electric charge in your fingertip to fry a CPU by touching it in the "right" spot. Electricity is a fickle beast at times. If something's designed to work with a given battery, that little battery is probably all the electricity it can handle without breaking, and only if it's going in the right direction. For the record, I had to change the batteries in a handheld GPS unit in the dark during a cross-country motorcycle ride. Then when it wouldn't turn on I had to find a rest stop 30 miles down the road where I learned I had put the batteries in wrong which almost certainly fried it. It does happen.

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 2010, 03:31.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Day 9
13. Re: Steam Summer Sale Day 9 Jul 3, 2010, 03:04 Narf2029

Saints Row 2 has a bug that affects the CPU timing of some Vista and Win 7 users. Basically makes the game go 50-100% faster than it should, like you're playing in fast-forward. There's a community hack that fixes it for some, but for me it makes the game crash at the same very early point every time I reach it. Others use the hack and have no issues. Others still have no timing issue to begin with. If you're using Vista or Win 7 and you like to play roulette, now's a great time to give Saints Row 2 a shot! I otherwise highly recommend it. It invariably draws comparison to GTA IV. I found Saints Row 2 fun enough to beat dozens of times alone and in cooperative play. I have yet to finish GTA IV.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Jul 2, 2010, 14:17 Narf2029

I agree with most of the APB review, but I have to disagree with their idea that having no cover system is bad. Having no cover system just means that anything I stand behind blocks bullets, and not just the objects that have cover script triggers on them. Also means that players using full cover have to leave it to return fire, as opposed to most cover systems that let you fire "blind" (since you already get both protection and visual awareness while using cover in a 3rd person shooter, which is advantage enough) with a slight drop in accuracy while still retaining full protection. It's kind of funny that PC Gamer complains about player teams holing up in unassailable positions when having a typical console cover system would turn every object in the game into just such a position.

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 2010, 14:22.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jul 1, 2010, 14:20 Narf2029

I'll never take art seriously as long as people can still flip urinals upside-down and call it art, or simply throw their paint palette at the wall and call it art.  

News Comments > City of Heroes: Going Rogue Trailer
2. Re: City of Heroes: Going Rogue Trailer Jul 1, 2010, 14:18 Narf2029

That's kind of the problem. The classes are different between heroes and villains. Not hugely different, but different enough. Picking similar powers doesn't quite work. Tanks and brutes don't play that similarly - if anything, you should take scrapper to replace a brute, and nobody should ever take stalker. There's also no hero class that lines up with mastermind. Closest you can get is an illusion controller, which is not close at all.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 1, 2010, 03:59 Narf2029

OldScho0l wrote on Jul 1, 2010, 02:02:
Did I just read that Fable 3 will be done Episodically? FAIL strategy.
That just makes the purchase decision easier. Soon as the whole thing can be had for $50 or less, I'll get it. Not before.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 26, 2010, 02:40 Narf2029

They do have to do something to offset the dramatic reduction of physical mail ever since email came about. USPS is hemorrhaging money without the income they used to have when people mailed things. Couple that with the ironclad unions that postal workers belong to and USPS is pretty well fucked. They just can't fire a postal worker for anything. My father was an electronics technician for USPS and every other day I'd hear about other techs who would bring their own TVs and whatnot into work and fix them on company time with company parts and tools. Nope, can't get fired for that. Other techs would clock in, go straight to the breakroom and sleep for their entire shift. Some would even get on the clock in the morning, go home, then come back 8 hours later at the end of their shift to clock out. Nope, can't get fired for that either. Supervisors can tell them not to do these things but the union forbids termination for any reason short of a felony, so taking any disciplinary action is useless. Dilbert says that every company has a guy like Wally? USPS has nothing but.  

News Comments > City of Heroes Going Rogue in August
5. Re: City of Heroes Going Rogue in August Jun 23, 2010, 02:09 Narf2029

In fairness, the mission creator did turn CoX into a ghost town. Now that people can go from level 1 to level 50 without ever leaving the first AE building they come across, that's exactly what 90% of players are doing. Then 8% of players do nothing but roleplay in one place, and it's very tedious and difficult to assemble a team made of the remaining 2% of players, even during peak times. It's hard on players who don't want to do AE missions because on a lot of days you might be the only player in that zone who isn't in AE.  

News Comments > Kotick: Audience "Clamoring" for Subscription CoD
15. Re: Kotick: Audience Jun 20, 2010, 14:04 Narf2029

Whenever something is hugely successful, someone always comes along wanting badly to ruin it.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
12. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 18, 2010, 17:40 Narf2029

Let's not overlook how this idea was proposed by Senator Lieberman (not Obama) and aims to grant the President (not just President Obama) this imaginary internet killswitch. If the headline said "Lieberman internet 'kill switch' proposed" it just would not be as sensational, nor would it invite anti-Obama discussion/foaming-at-the-mouth.  

News Comments > Fallout Online Beta Signups
12. Re: Fallout Online Beta Signups Jun 16, 2010, 15:08 Narf2029

I'm sure nobody really thinks they're working on anything more than a bit of fluff to demonstrate they are using the rights rather than having nothing whatsoever to show the courts.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 14, 2010, 14:59 Narf2029

A word of warning with Fallout 3 GOTY if you use Windows 7 - it's not compatible with the Aero desktop for some stupid reason. One can get around it by opening Fallout3.exe's Properties and checking the Disable Visual Themes, Disable Desktop Composition, and Disable Display Scaling on High DPI Settings in the Compatibility tab (this works for me, anyway). Hopefully this will save someone the frustration and time I spent finding this solution online, because I happened to stumble onto this solution almost accidentally in someone's blog while finding nothing anywhere else. If you're using Windows 7 and your game crashes within a second of loading, this is probably your problem.  

News Comments > Rockstar: No Current PC Red Dead Redemption Plans
8. Re: Rockstar: No Current PC Red Dead Redemption Plans Jun 11, 2010, 17:39 Narf2029

Meh, I'll wait for the PC version even if it never comes out. I just don't feel like I've missed out on anything if it stays on platforms that I will probably never own.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Alien Breed: Impact
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Alien Breed: Impact Jun 4, 2010, 01:44 Narf2029

I'm kind of disappointed in how the Steam announcement prominently advertised cooperative play, but then you read the fine print on the game's store page and it says it has only 3 cooperative scenarios. Though rereading it now, it apparently has only 5 single player scenarios so maybe that's not as big a detriment as I had originally thought.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. "Quit Facebook Day" Jun 1, 2010, 17:28 Narf2029

Proving once again that people will say anything.  

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale May 28, 2010, 03:39 Narf2029

Don't have to play it just cuz you own it... though since it's over 2/3 of the bundle's dollar value, I can see where it would be a waste. Let's have the other 3 for $20 or so...  

News Comments > PC Fable III Confirmed
15. Re: PC Fable III Confirmed May 21, 2010, 12:59 Narf2029

I for one am interested, especially if it has cooperative play. As was mentioned earlier it would surely be a wife-playable (or girlfriend-playable in my case) game, and it would be fun to play on top of that. I'll take all of that kind of game I can get. I found Fable to be very fun, as long as I put everything Molyneux said out of my head, and if Fable II had made it to PC I would have certainly bought two copies. Now, however, if Fable III is definitely coming to PC and Fable II suddenly does as well, I couldn't bring myself to spend more than $15 each on Fable II knowing the newer and probably better one is right around the corner.  

News Comments > Legal Briefs
1. Re: Legal Briefs May 20, 2010, 02:17 Narf2029

Kind of a double standard for the RIAA and MPAA to argue their underhanded and questionably-legal (if not simply illegal) methods of data acquisition and defendant coercion are fine and dandy, then turn around and say someone else is doing something unethical or illegal.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Flash creator wades into Apple debate May 20, 2010, 02:12 Narf2029

Still can't see why the iPad is succeeding at all (aside from the people who will buy anything that says Apple on it, that is). I just don't understand the demand for an enormous iPhone that can't make calls.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Guns of Icarus
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Guns of Icarus May 18, 2010, 02:00 Narf2029

Try before you buy, if you are so inclined:

http://www.shockwave.com/gamelanding/gunsoficarus.jsp

1579 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo