Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Narf2029

Real Name Narf2029   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Narf2029
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 4, 2001, 03:12
Total Comments 1572 (Pro)
User ID 11815

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. The 6 Most Surprising Ways Alcohol Is Actually Good for You Jul 20, 2010, 17:26 Narf2029

I remember when a wino friend of mine got a monthly mailer from some wine company, and its front page article was about how drinking wine during pregnancy is healthy for you and the baby. All I could do was laugh. My friend, of course, believed it because she's a ravenous drunk and didn't understand why I found it so funny.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Jul 20, 2010, 17:24 Narf2029

Next we'll see a review of Castles.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Tropico 3: Absolute Power
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Tropico 3: Absolute Power Jul 20, 2010, 17:03 Narf2029

Don't know about you but I got mine on Steam. Could be that it's been available digitally for a while but it's only now available on store shelves. I don't recall ever seeing it in stores, but since I already have it I'll admit I wasn't really looking for it.  

News Comments > Free Alien Swarm Release
16. Re: Free Alien Swarm Release Jul 19, 2010, 19:24 Narf2029

I guess the people complaining have never heard the phrase "you get what you pay for." Complaints about immediate availability (and anything, for that matter) don't really matter if it's free and will continue to be free. I've got it downloading now after badgering Steam a bunch, but if you enjoyed Steam's last big sale as much as I did, you won't get around to playing it for a few days either. If you don't want to wait, don't. It'd be an entirely different and legitimate matter if you bought a Steam game with real money and couldn't get it to go right away, but I really have no sympathy when it's free for everyone.  

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jul 19, 2010, 01:58 Narf2029

Any hobby taken to an extreme is bad. I play games with my girlfriend a lot and we love it, but we also have some games we play without each other. Gaming is a versatile hobby like that.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2010, 17:23 Narf2029

Imagine how hot it will be in August! It's due to rain the next few days here so maybe it will keep the heat down to a normal summer level. I dread August this year, especially since my car does not have working AC. I would not be surprised if the coming winter was one of record low temperatures. It seems like the higher summer goes, the lower winter goes to keep an average.  

News Comments > Legal Briefs
1. Re: Legal Briefs Jul 17, 2010, 17:05 Narf2029

I never understood giving someone two life sentences. It's not like they pass the second one on to his child. Is it like a backup life sentence? In case he outlives the first life sentence, we have the second one to make sure he stays in there?  

News Comments > THQ Sale
2. Re: THQ Sale Jul 17, 2010, 16:53 Narf2029

Nice timing - I just picked up Dawn of War Gold last week at Half Price Books and now I can cheaply throw Dark Crusade into the mix.  

News Comments > Sniper: Ghost Warrior & More Steam Patches
2. Re: Sniper: Ghost Warrior & More Steam Patches Jul 15, 2010, 01:57 Narf2029

Moonbase Alpha was fun until we got about as good as we were going to get. If there was more to do I'd definitely keep at it. I really like how you have to work closely with your team and plan several steps ahead to keep on top of everything. Scenarios revolving around building up the colony or finding the needed resources to do so would be great, or even a long-running or open-ended scenario where you do everything needed to establish and build a colony from the ground up yourself/with friends. As it stands, I still got a few hours out of it and had good fun the whole time, and it was free to boot.  

3. Re: From the IGN review of APB.. Jul 14, 2010, 01:50 Narf2029

"If you actually read my review, this game sucks. If, on the other hand, you pay me big bucks to put a good number at the top for Metacritic, I love it!"  

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Day 9
17. Re: Steam Summer Sale Day 9 Jul 3, 2010, 03:54 Narf2029

BobBob wrote on Jul 3, 2010, 03:48:
Too many sci-fi games to pass up. Purchased some. Wife is gonna kill me.
If my girlfriend knew just how many games I've bought on Steam in the last week...

16. Re: Steam Summer Sale Day 9 Jul 3, 2010, 03:50 Narf2029

It does take a pretty mean machine to run it. I had been running it with everything but basic lighting turned off/at the lowest setting until now. Upgraded to a 3GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM and a 1GB 9800GT and I can do full detail. Unfortunately, I upgraded to Win 7 at the same time and ran into the problems in my previous post. The port quality is not too good. If you can get it for the 360 I imagine it'd be a no-brainer. With PC it's a mixed bag - if you are ok with using lower (or lowest) detail settings it's an endless bag of fun. Even today I still hear a new bit of dialogue on the radio or something now and then that makes me laugh, and I do something wacky and funny practically every time I play, often by accident and even now where my play sessions are spent trying to find a way around that bug.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: The PC- simply less interesting than it was in 1998-2003. Jul 3, 2010, 03:33 Narf2029

Sounds like someone needs to get his head out of the... nah, I won't do it.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 3, 2010, 03:24 Narf2029

You probably also think there isn't enough electric charge in your fingertip to fry a CPU by touching it in the "right" spot. Electricity is a fickle beast at times. If something's designed to work with a given battery, that little battery is probably all the electricity it can handle without breaking, and only if it's going in the right direction. For the record, I had to change the batteries in a handheld GPS unit in the dark during a cross-country motorcycle ride. Then when it wouldn't turn on I had to find a rest stop 30 miles down the road where I learned I had put the batteries in wrong which almost certainly fried it. It does happen.

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 2010, 03:31.

13. Re: Steam Summer Sale Day 9 Jul 3, 2010, 03:04 Narf2029

Saints Row 2 has a bug that affects the CPU timing of some Vista and Win 7 users. Basically makes the game go 50-100% faster than it should, like you're playing in fast-forward. There's a community hack that fixes it for some, but for me it makes the game crash at the same very early point every time I reach it. Others use the hack and have no issues. Others still have no timing issue to begin with. If you're using Vista or Win 7 and you like to play roulette, now's a great time to give Saints Row 2 a shot! I otherwise highly recommend it. It invariably draws comparison to GTA IV. I found Saints Row 2 fun enough to beat dozens of times alone and in cooperative play. I have yet to finish GTA IV.  

1. Re: Game Reviews Jul 2, 2010, 14:17 Narf2029

I agree with most of the APB review, but I have to disagree with their idea that having no cover system is bad. Having no cover system just means that anything I stand behind blocks bullets, and not just the objects that have cover script triggers on them. Also means that players using full cover have to leave it to return fire, as opposed to most cover systems that let you fire "blind" (since you already get both protection and visual awareness while using cover in a 3rd person shooter, which is advantage enough) with a slight drop in accuracy while still retaining full protection. It's kind of funny that PC Gamer complains about player teams holing up in unassailable positions when having a typical console cover system would turn every object in the game into just such a position.

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 2010, 14:22.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jul 1, 2010, 14:20 Narf2029

I'll never take art seriously as long as people can still flip urinals upside-down and call it art, or simply throw their paint palette at the wall and call it art.  

News Comments > City of Heroes: Going Rogue Trailer
2. Re: City of Heroes: Going Rogue Trailer Jul 1, 2010, 14:18 Narf2029

That's kind of the problem. The classes are different between heroes and villains. Not hugely different, but different enough. Picking similar powers doesn't quite work. Tanks and brutes don't play that similarly - if anything, you should take scrapper to replace a brute, and nobody should ever take stalker. There's also no hero class that lines up with mastermind. Closest you can get is an illusion controller, which is not close at all.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 1, 2010, 03:59 Narf2029

OldScho0l wrote on Jul 1, 2010, 02:02:
Did I just read that Fable 3 will be done Episodically? FAIL strategy.
That just makes the purchase decision easier. Soon as the whole thing can be had for $50 or less, I'll get it. Not before.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 26, 2010, 02:40 Narf2029

They do have to do something to offset the dramatic reduction of physical mail ever since email came about. USPS is hemorrhaging money without the income they used to have when people mailed things. Couple that with the ironclad unions that postal workers belong to and USPS is pretty well fucked. They just can't fire a postal worker for anything. My father was an electronics technician for USPS and every other day I'd hear about other techs who would bring their own TVs and whatnot into work and fix them on company time with company parts and tools. Nope, can't get fired for that. Other techs would clock in, go straight to the breakroom and sleep for their entire shift. Some would even get on the clock in the morning, go home, then come back 8 hours later at the end of their shift to clock out. Nope, can't get fired for that either. Supervisors can tell them not to do these things but the union forbids termination for any reason short of a felony, so taking any disciplinary action is useless. Dilbert says that every company has a guy like Wally? USPS has nothing but.  

1572 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo