Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Narf2029

Real Name Narf2029   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Narf2029
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 4, 2001, 03:12
Total Comments 1578 (Pro)
User ID 11815

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $21 Million
15. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 8, 2013, 21:43 Narf2029

To be fair, lots of companies blow their launch day. In the grand scheme, it costs a lot to handle one day's extraordinarily high demand when you consider it will probably never need that much infrastructure again as usage smooths out and/or tapers off.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 5, 2013, 12:26 Narf2029

If manufacturers stop making laptops and PCs with Windows 7 on them, Windows 8-equipped products have to "shine" by default.  

News Comments > PAYDAY 2 Trailer
2. Re: PAYDAY 2 Trailer Oct 4, 2013, 18:43 Narf2029

I'm just short of 200 hours in Payday 2 and it's still fun to me. It's had rough updates, and one or two colossally rough updates, but its current state is excellent.

I do agree that they should stop doing these poorly made videos and put the money and effort into more missions. I feel confident enough that the cut heists will get added in later. It'd be a boldly dick move to charge for them, and if they do charge for them I'll wait until a holiday or summer sale on Steam.

Whatever happens in the future, nearly 200 hours is a lot of enjoyment for $30. I haven't even played TF2 that much.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 2, 2013, 08:08 Narf2029

I googled myself once and discovered I was a black man accused of an armed robbery. I was also a white college student who had been killed in a bar brawl a couple weeks prior.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2013, 13:47 Narf2029

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 1, 2013, 11:58:
When I worked for Lowes, I'd occasionally help out with delivery, which included removing old units (fridges, washer/dryers). Removed a 50 year old Maytag that finally gave up the goat. Replaced with a Whirlpool with a 2 year warranty.

They don't make them like they use to.

You know that's right. My parents have a Craftsman push lawnmower that's like 30 years old that hasn't had oil in it for over 15 years and it still runs smooth. Try that on a mower today. Hell, try finding a mower in a store today that'll even work half that long.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
3. Re: Saturday Consolidation Sep 28, 2013, 23:47 Narf2029

Porting to PC won't sell more XBones either...  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 20, 2013, 13:17 Narf2029

Redmask wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 10:37:
I believe it, many people use their consoles to double as Netflix players to save them having to buy a Roku or something. I think the figure on the PS3 was even higher.

I would imagine that's because you can use Netflix and other video services on the PS3 without a Plus subscription, while you have to have a Live subscription to use the 360 for that. I haven't even turned my 360 on since I got a PS3.

News Comments > The Inner World Trailer
3. Re: The Inner World Trailer Sep 19, 2013, 17:43 Narf2029

Oh, wow. They really want $31 for that?  

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2013, 10:41 Narf2029

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 10:33:
I think people forget here how much PA has supported the LGBT community on the whole and are using this incident as an excuse to go on another useless social justice warrior crusade as usual.

I don't know anything about that one way or the other. If it's true, great. I'd love to see links to things that back this up; I don't mind changing my view on something when offered facts.

However, what bad someone does today carries more weight than anything they did in the past, simply because it's more recent. If PA as a whole does a lot to support the LGBT community then Krahulik is doing almost as much to negate that just by drawing attention away from it.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2013, 10:09 Narf2029

Agreed - I think it's a good move on their part to not cover PAX because of all the intolerance Krahulik exhibits. I just don't get why people feel the need to hate something that ultimately has little to no effect on them personally.

That said, I doubt this will have any impact whatsoever. People just do not care unless something is directly causing them a problem at an individual level. The average person is fine turning a blind eye to persecution as long as they're not the one being persecuted.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 15, 2013, 16:27 Narf2029

There are probably more people by now who own Skyrim than the original Half Life.  

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
2. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Sep 15, 2013, 13:18 Narf2029

He just needs a knife app on his phone now, so he can get the drop on a guard and use him as the hostage that leads him to safety.  

News Comments > DayZ Video Blog
5. Re: DayZ Video Blog Sep 8, 2013, 15:34 Narf2029

Moog wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 15:31:
So item damage/degredation is meant to stop KOS play-style?

I don't think so!

The griefers will continue to shoot anything that moves and probably enjoy it even more, knowing that your stuff is also destroyed now, too!

Yeah. Doesn't matter what state the gear is in when they're just going to pee on it anyway.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 26, 2013, 12:56 Narf2029

Nice? We had part of one week here in the mid-high 70s but it's been in the high 80s or low-mid 90s otherwise. The couple times it "rained" it was light for 10-15 minutes and all evidence was gone in an hour. Been so hot the tint cracked and peeled off my passenger window.  

News Comments > Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter Fails
16. Re: Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter Fails Aug 24, 2013, 15:23 Narf2029

Bachelor of Physical Education degree? Am I interpreting that right? Because what's going into my head is a guy who went to college for 4 years to become the best gym teacher he possibly could.  

News Comments > The Sims 4 Details & Screenshots [Updated]
16. Re: The Sims 4 Details & Screenshots Aug 18, 2013, 00:04 Narf2029

Maybe Sims 4 will have some measure of optimization to make expansions and mods manageable. The load times are obscene. It's one thing to have time to make a sandwich during a load, and another to be able to eat it. I can do max settings on practically every game available for PC and the load times in Sims 3 make it look like I'm running a 486.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2013, 15:29 Narf2029

That's the highlight of American shortsightedness - Republican presidents start imperialistic wars, and when they can't get them done before a Democrat gets elected, Republicans throw everything they've got into making it look like the Democrat's fault that we're over there in wherever - and the average American buys it every time. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on- hang on, American Idol is about to start! I'm sorry, what were we talking about?

This comment was edited on Aug 16, 2013, 15:34.

News Comments > Tropico 5 Announced
5. Re: Tropico 5 Announced Aug 15, 2013, 10:05 Narf2029

Wonder how well cooperative play will go. My wife loves Tropico and she'd probably die if we could play it together, IF it was well implemented.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 11, 2013, 23:29 Narf2029

Having a blast with Payday 2. I'm not the world's best at shooters by any stretch of the imagination but I like to think I'm pretty decent. I've mostly been playing it with my brother and 2 bots on +1 jobs, and I find it to be challenging but fair for someone of my skill level. We've had more than a few close calls, some of which lasted for up to 5 minutes of continuous pressure and even a little desperation (5 minutes is a LONG time in this), but we've always managed to pull it off every time and have yet to lose.

At least for someone of my skill level, Payday 2 does a phenomenal job of striking a balance between thrill and frustration. 90% of the time if I went down it's because I didn't look around before I went somewhere, but then a bot pulled me up, I got my head back in the game and we got it done. It forgives the occasional screw-up but you definitely feel like you're one or two mistakes from blowing it at times and that keeps you feeling tense, until you haul everything out and feel relief at your escape. Obviously you won't feel like that every time you play, but it's nice that you have a tangible sense of accomplishment somewhat often. It's exciting to be the one running halfway across the street and back, pitching bags into the safety of an alley so your buddy can load the van between sprays of suppressing fire, with bullets flying all around from all sides and you're just praying that not too many hit you at once because if you go down in the street you're in deep trouble and you hauled all that cash out of the vault for nothing.

I will say as it stands, those who are looking for stealthy heists are probably going to be disappointed - bystanders across the street spot hostages with almost superhuman ease, and often the easiest/only way to be sneaky is to kill a lot of them before they call the police. It's obvious that the developers watched Heat close to a million times, since the emphasis is clearly on huge, loud gunfights against lots of cops. And I mean loud - if you leave the volume settings on default, good luck hearing your team if they say something important while you or they are shooting. Gunshots also echo down the street when you fire outdoors, which is a great atmospheric touch and again is straight out of Heat. The system by which weapon mods are awarded leaves a lot to be desired as well, but the developers seem to be open to making changes based on feedback and hopefully that will extend to the way mods are obtained. Overall though, it's probably the best cooperative shooter I've played in years and is worth every penny.

News Comments > Saints Row IV Gameplay Footage
8. Re: Saints Row IV Gameplay Footage Aug 4, 2013, 16:59 Narf2029

GTA IV was too rooted, to the point of being tedious. I don't think I even got halfway through it. Saints Row 2 on the other hand I've probably done from start to finish a dozen times, if not more. Saints Row 3 was good as well, but I guess I didn't find it as good as 2 since I've only beaten it maybe 3 times tops. I think the variety of clothing and vehicles in 2 helped, because of the ridiculous combinations you could make.

My brother's "Joseph Stalin, PI" was among the most memorable to me - Joseph Stalin running around in a brown suit, trenchcoat and fedora, with his trusty revolver and pimp cane, hitting the streets in a Baron or dogfighting police helicopters in a triplane. Saints Row 3 had its share of over the top but it didn't have quite as many ways to make it personal and thus memorable. Just the very act of trying to shoot down police helicopters in a triplane was hilarious, especially if you actually managed to down one.

That said, I still preordered SR4 within an hour of it becoming available on Steam.

1578 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo