Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Narf2029

Real Name Narf2029   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Narf2029
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 4, 2001, 03:12
Total Comments 1580 (Pro)
User ID 11815

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: GoT actor dies Aug 12, 2014, 21:37 Narf2029

Word just got out that Lauren Bacall died too. This is turning into one shitty week.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2014, 16:17 Narf2029

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 12:23:
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Pixel Piracy is released!

Chatted with Alex Poysky over Steam this AM - I can't say it enough, this is really a group of people that deserve support for the product they have released. I hope you all give it a chance.

50% off right now!

I just paid $11 something for it last night. Still worth it but man I hate that shit.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2014, 14:11 Narf2029

Darks wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 13:24:
That's the problem I have with this game. The endless spawning on Police. After you have completed a mission, you feel like you just wiped out the full police force for the city.

If you suspend the disbelief of that particular part it's a great cooperative game. At higher difficulties some situations you occasionally find yourself in are so tense you will sweat your mouse right out of your hand even if you're on a well-oiled team. Sometimes you can do everything right and things will still go wrong. There's great satisfaction in overcoming the odds. Even more so when you're on a team that works well together and where everyone knows what they need to do as the situation shifts.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2014, 12:50 Narf2029

I don't really give stealth a serious attempt. I mostly play with my brother and we're both pretty loud-oriented. Every once in a while we stealth most or all of a map accidentally or through luck and aggressive timing but we usually just plan for it to involve lots of shooting.

That approach is obviously more difficult for low levels who don't have good armor or guns, but tagging along with someone higher level who can handle pro very hard Rats or Firestarter on their own and doesn't mind having you there can take you from fresh to the mid-30s in one go. That'll give you access to the second best armor and a much better selection of guns, the money to buy them, and a lot of skill points. Whether you like loud or quiet, having decent gear and skills makes the game a lot less frustrating.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Jun 12, 2014, 17:30 Narf2029

I'm finding Watchdogs entertaining enough. It's satisfying when I can complete a mission without setting foot inside the mission area. Gunplay is decent or better most of the time. You are rather frail as Yahtzee says, but it's manageable if you don't pop out of cover for more than a couple seconds at a time. There's a sort of bullet time mechanic that can give you an edge for a few seconds but it takes a bit to recharge if you don't use items to refill it. Still, I haven't yet felt that there was a gunfight I couldn't win, even if I did fall back a lot in most fights. They'll fairly intelligently advance on you, with some guys shooting while others move up a bit before stopping to shoot and let the first guys move some. It's got the latching-on kind of cover, so you almost always have a place to move back to. Money is useless. Random passersby can be hacked for cash which you can retrieve from any ATM, but there are so many of these walking treasure bags that I had every weapon before I was halfway through act 1 and I still had $250k to spare. More often than not I've already hacked up another $10-15k before I'm even 3 meters away from the ATM I just used.

Now, price-wise, I don't know that I'd say it was worth $60. I only have it because I upgraded my video card and Watchdogs came with it. I'd maybe have paid $30 or $40 tops.

One really annoying feature (to me) is the online invasions. Whenever you're not locked into a mission, another player can drop into your game and screw with you or you can do the same to another player. You can turn it off, but it turns itself back on every time you start the game up - the annoying part. It's a structured kind of screwing with you as opposed to some jerk just dropping in and causing all kinds of havoc but still, I turned it off and I wish it would stay off.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 27, 2014, 14:39 Narf2029

Net neutrality was the idea that ISPs should not be allowed to throttle content at their discretion, IE Comcast should not be allowed to tell Netflix "pay us more money or we'll turn your service to shit in our areas."  

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2014, 12:41 Narf2029

I'm more interested in how this walkout is being done on a Thursday and not on a Saturday when it would have much greater financial impact on the employers. I'm also interested in how many of these people will still have jobs on Friday, or I guess I should say I'm interested how many fast food places have signs up in the backroom that remind employees they'll be fired for no-shows. There are plenty of people who will take those jobs. I bet a lot of them are going through the pre-screening right now in anticipation of this walkout.

You can't have a job like fast food and expect it to give you the two kids and dog and white picket fence. It's a transient job by design. High turnover and few full-time opportunities means fewer raises, fewer benefits to pay out, etc. They don't want you to stay. If you want more money, go to school or learn a trade. Do something other than scream and stage protests until someone else solves your problem for you. If you want a better life, go get it. Yes, it's terrible that these employees get paid so little but they are the ones staying and they are the ones doing nothing to improve their lives when you can get a college degree with no upfront cost.

But when people do take advantage of that, what do many of them do? They get a great career with great pay, and squander it. My wife keeps in touch with one of the students she met in her nursing classes, and this woman had, had, a $55,000 a year position and lost it because she "couldn't afford" to go up to a BSN when state requirements changed. She also celebrated getting her associate's degree by buying a $60,000 car, and bought another one a year later because she wanted the newer one.

On the other hand, I make $26,000 a year and I own my home and car. In fact, I owned them back when I was at my last job making $22,000. Sure, my car is 10 years old but I take care of it and it takes care of me right back. I don't need a status car. I need a car that gets me where I need to go. I don't need a house so large that I don't even use half of it. I need a house to hold my stuff and keep rain off of me while I sleep. I also owned these before I got married, and we still pay for our needs solely from my income and save most of her larger income because neither of us really like working and in 15 or 20 years we figure we might stop. Yes, we are saving our own money for retirement. I don't trust that any employer or Social Security will be there for me when I want to retire and neither does she.

I know I went into a tirade here but my point is that the problem is much bigger than people making crap for income at part-time jobs designed to be short-term. A good life is won with discipline, financial planning, and the willingness to do what it takes to fix the problem yourself. I'm far from rich but my needs are met and then some because I put in the effort to better myself. I didn't whine about how much my early jobs sucked while doing nothing to qualify myself for better work. I certainly didn't get into a situation where I needed more money than I made from my crappy job and then walked out of it.

This comment was edited on May 9, 2014, 12:49.

News Comments > Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible
58. Re: Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible May 8, 2014, 09:07 Narf2029

Maybe what Steam needs is to keep 90% of the money from early alpha sales, and only give it to the developer when the game is done. 10% of the money going to the developer would give them some small income as they work but they should really already have most of the money they need upfront before they start a project like that anyway. More importantly, if Steam holds on to 90% of the money, they already have 90% of the money they need to give back if the developer cuts and runs, and it serves as a strong deterrent against them doing that.

Of course, then we'll have a rash of games that are "done" and all the critical flaws and half-finished designs are "intentional."

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Goat Simulator
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Goat Simulator Apr 1, 2014, 22:34 Narf2029

A strong contender for the Best Game of the Ever award.  

News Comments > EverQuest Turns 15
20. Re: EverQuest Turns 15 Mar 17, 2014, 23:38 Narf2029

I played this way, way too much back in the day. I finally stopped when I let a friend borrow my account and he lost my corpse, along with all my nice stuff. In a way it was better than MMOs now. MMOs today are too streamlined and too much like thousands of single players alongside each other for it. In EQ you made friends because groups had downtime of 10-15 minutes or more at a time, and all you could do was talk. Now players pitch a fit if downtime lasts more than 20 seconds. Today you could group with the same people all day and you'd still spend less time talking to each other than people did in a half hour of EQ. I may not talk anymore with the people I ran with in EQ but I remember every one of them.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 5, 2014, 19:11 Narf2029

If Verizon is so reliable I'm not seeing it. My company phone is Verizon and I have poor/no service surprisingly often in urban areas. My job revolves around having phone and internet service everywhere I go so this is an extraordinary pain in the ass at times. Then I look at my personal phone with T-Mobile and I've got full signal. Verizon does cover a lot of middle-of-nowhere places but with all the gaps inside the city I'd never pay for it myself.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced
6. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 21, 2014, 20:05 Narf2029

If it's better for it, so what?  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 20, 2014, 11:51 Narf2029

Used to be the guy serving in the mess hall was an enlisted man, paid the same as other enlisted men of his rank. Now it's outsourced and the guy's a civilian who makes $15 an hour. Not sure what the contractor pulls in but if they can pay $15 an hour for someone to turn a spoon onto a plate it must be a lot.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 5, 2014, 22:29 Narf2029

Just be aware of the random connection issues a chunk of the Payday 2 playerbase is experiencing. If your games are going smoothly from start to finish it's a blast, but when your connection drops midway or 90% of the way through a heist a few times, leaving you with nothing whatsoever to show for 30+ minutes of your time each time it happens, the other rough spots get harder to overlook. As far as I know there's not much rhyme or reason as to who will have this problem either.

That said, I've gotten over 260 hours out of it, but I wasn't having as many connection issues until recently either.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Into the Black Jan 2, 2014, 20:34 Narf2029

NegaDeath wrote on Jan 2, 2014, 18:02:
It'll happen easily. My 2013 smartphone has 4X the Ram of the previous console gen already. The PS3 launched 7 years ago, plenty of time to die shrink equivalent or superior horsepower into a mobile. The only real problem is going to continue to be battery life.

And screen size, and input. Especially input. I don't care how powerful my phone is if I have to type things one poke at a time, and then erase half of it and try again because it didn't register a letter and it's easier to just erase back to it than it is to tap into the right spot in middle of the word. Voice recognition is years away from being fully effective. "Yes or no? You said: banana. Is this correct?" Swype has introduced me to some truly obscure words that it picked in place of what I was actually going for.

News Comments > GOG.com Drops Fallout Games
13. Re: GOG.com Drops Fallout Games Jan 1, 2014, 16:08 Narf2029

pupsikaso wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 16:01:
Slashman wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 15:52:
Julio wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 14:47:
Blame Bethesda and Steam for their tight pro-drm stance. Hopefully everyone that wanted these got them by now.

How is this Steam's fault again?

Steam is DRM-as-service

Fortunately it's a lot more service, which is where others fail.

News Comments > On Sale
72. Re: On Sale Dec 30, 2013, 21:28 Narf2029

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 30, 2013, 10:57:
Once I got a couple deliveries under my belt, I was able to sit back in the chair, hit up the radio (took a bit mapping all the controls I need how I like) and drive single handed like for realz. Some of the stops can get some congested traffic, waiting to turn. YEAH THAT'S SOMETHING I LOVE!!! lol

I know it's a sim, that could be it's knock for me, great, I'm on the road driving again, yipee! Like right now I'm not really wanting to just go out and realistically drive around for the sake of driving. On the bright side I'm saving $3.50 a gallon in game!

As a sim, it does great, you can really drive from A to B and you can control it not to go off the road, hit something a little here or there. No you can drive it like a BOSS, like the real thing. I suppose that's the good and bad of it and I'm much more about realistic handling vs arcade. It's just when you are going 150+ against competition, that is the catch for me. This is like I know the outcome even if I breakdown, which I haven't yet, but I see that is possible or I'm running low on gas. ALL THE GREAT THINGS IN LIFE I TELL YAH! So am I out here just seeing the sites? Which leads to the question, since I'm not from Europe, is their any decent accuracy in the sites in this game? Can I get a good European Vacation out of this? snickers...

The challenge is that I'm about 50-50 backing up right now, I give it a couple tries then say "fuck it" and press Enter.

FWIW I'm using a Logitech Driving Force and a Nostromo, lots of buttons to press in this one.

I don't know why but Euro Truck 2 is extremely cathartic. The mrs makes fun of me every time I play it because I drive a thousand miles or more per week for work then come home and play a game based around commercial driving.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
28. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 18, 2013, 20:20 Narf2029

InBlack wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 10:10:
Im with nin on this one. Special 'educational' booths feel terribly forced. No one likes being told what they can or cant think and a simple "Bigots can stay home or go fuck themselves" note would have been sufficient.

Bigots who stay home or go fuck themselves don't buy tickets or merch.

News Comments > PAYDAY 2 Free Holiday DLC
2. Re: PAYDAY 2 Free Holiday DLC Dec 17, 2013, 18:08 Narf2029

I think Goldfarb rationalized the 17 heists thing by counting individual maps, IE a 3 day heist has 3 maps. I'm not complaining though. I've got over 250 hours in so I gave up the right to complain a long time ago. I still find it fun, just in smaller doses now.  

News Comments > New PAYDAY 2 DLC
4. Re: New PAYDAY 2 DLC Dec 5, 2013, 17:15 Narf2029

It is kind of a dick move. At least the holiday sale is coming up. I definitely got my money's worth out of Payday 2 but this just makes me wonder how much map packs will be.  

1580 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo