Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for loonybomber

Real Name loonybomber   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname unaloony
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Deathbunnies; Killer Klowns; 51st Squad; Zergs; BF109k-1943; Little Gray Associates; amygdala; unaloony; unAfr4y3d; loon; unBSD, UFO.
Homepage http://www.untls.net/
Signed On Nov 21, 2001, 03:28
Total Comments 283 (Amateur)
User ID 11674

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Re: Feed Readers Jun 21, 2013, 15:51 unaloony

I set up a drupal page with blocks pulling feeds from a bunch of different sources and then realized I could do the same thing with a my.yahoo page .. apparently you can add any feed you want to yahoo pages and create reasonable well organized customized news aggregator.

I prefer website news aggregators over feed reader applications because you don't need to install apps or configure a reader for each machine you are using.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Top 5 Ways to Grill on the Deck Oct 4, 2011, 04:07 unaloony

1. "If they can brew a cup of coffee in space, you should be able to trust me to grill a burger on the deck."

2. "I'll even do the dishes."

3. "It's too cold in Winter for the deck to catch on fire."

4. "The last time we knocked the grill over, we were able to build the deck with the insurance proceeds."

5. In addition to using a flameproof material underneath the grill, you could fasten the legs down (aka concrete shoes, bolted/tied to flame/heat resistant platform) so the grill is basically untippable if none of the common sense arguments above work.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2011, 20:18 unaloony

I thought you would have posted the results of your feedback survey. Now that would have been informative. What did we say we wanted? Do we get a chance to peer review ourselves or otherwise get a chance to discuss whether we each agree to our aggregate average answers?  

36. Re: vuvuzelas Jun 13, 2010, 15:58 unaloony

Otherwise, the sound is quite good. During those few moments when they aren't playing the .. uh .. 'vuvuzelas' you can actually hear the football players calling out plays to each other and the sound of balls bouncing off player's heads. It's almost spooky, like there's no fans in the audience.  

News Comments > Op Ed
19. DON'T EVAR DENIGRATE CO-OP SINGLE PLAYER MISSIONS!!! Apr 10, 2010, 02:12 unaloony

Lack of Co-op play is the result of the same laziness and greed corporations brought into the mix ten years ago when publishers stopped routinely releasing free updates, patches, and addons.

Doom had great co-op. Co-op, where it's just like a single player game except that one or a few friends can join in with you on the single player missions. I mean come on, thats can be the most enjoyable way for noobs to learn how to play a game. Any time you have single player missions, you should have an option to do them with others. If you don't like the option then you don't have to take it, but, for golly's sake, how the heck can you argue against another game mode and not be a numbskull.

There was a time when gamers expected games to include a co-op mode but we were beaten by the same numbskulls who think it's ok for american publishers to censor speech that would not be subject to censure under the First Amendment of the United States Constitution.

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: It's their world .. you don't like it, keep out Dec 17, 2009, 23:51 unaloony

I dunno, California does have greater constitutional protections than other states. As I said, the law is that operators of private places that serve as 'quasi public forum' must allow access for constitutionally protected speech. WoW should not be able to arbitrarily discriminate against constitutionally protected speech because it is a 'quasi public forum' in the same sense that privately owned shopping malls are.

What first amendment advocates are concerned with is that as society moves increasily online to privately controlled servers, that limit and censor otherwise constitionally protected speech, we as a society suffer a loss and degradation of our first amendment rights. For the most part, the people who make the laws believe strongly that freedom of speech is one of the things that make the U.S. such a productive and enjoyable country to live in.

Folks say that WoW can do anything they want because they are the providers, but this is not how the legal system works. You show me a case saying that constitutional safeguards for free speech are not applicable to either Ultima, SecondLife, WoW or any of the other popular ones, then, I would believe them. But since no one can cite to authorities, you cannot say that WoW can engage censorship of protected speech because THIS HAS NOT BEEN LEGALLY ESTABLISHED (and is contray to the legal principles behind our current constitutional protections).

I tend to think that folks who just refuse to believe in the american concept of free speech are fachists, so reliant upon the games industry for their support that they are unable to see any position except from the side of the industry, or, they are simple foriegners who don't understand the laws of the country that makes the best video games. I was kinda suprised to see some of the responses here are just as uninformed as the majority of those on the "why you don't have freedom of speech in WoW" site given that blues news readers are generally a better class of people.

News Comments > etc.
6. RE: Why you don't have freedome of speech in WoW Dec 16, 2009, 18:10 unaloony

The reason you don't have free speech in WoW is because WoW tells people they have no right to free speech in WoW. The article cites to no authorities because there are no legal authorities on point .... no one has yet alleged (to my knowledge) that online games are 'quasi public forums' similar in function as a shopping mall. Political speech and artistic expression (otherwise not obscene or inciteful of injury) are constitutionally protected in places where the public traditionally meet. Originally, the government always provided a 'commons' where people could speak When people started gathering more in privately provided spaces, e.g. shopping malls, the rules changed and were extended to 'quasi public forums'. There is no legal reason why WoW could not be considered a 'quasi public forum.' Don't let WoW or Linden Labs or other virtual community providers to tell you you don't have rights without proving it.

This article is pure poppycock of a commercial business aimed at increasing its profits and without an interest in ensuring that the rights to freedom of expression which we enjoy in the US will be protected as society becomes more virtualized.

Im posting this here because there are more intelligent readers here who might like to be spared the hysteria produced by such poor reporting, and, because for some reason the forum was rejecting my comments.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Far Cry 2 9/10 Jul 29, 2009, 17:51 unaloony

Whoever decided to rank Far Cry 2 6/10 didn't have the guts to put their name on the article. That was probably intentional as the author -- obviously intimidated by the gameplay of fc2 -- would be hunted down and cremated by fc2 players if his name were disclosed.

Yes, there is a lot of driving. Er, well you also have the option of using boats instead of vehicles, or, if you can't handle the fact that the landscape is crawling with coked out kids in jeeps with machettes and machine guns, you can take a bus and avoid the types of difficulties you'd likely find if you were driving around by yourself in a land torn by internal gang wars and without an effective government. But, of course, when you do drive or boat, you also uncover side missions, find new weapons, find cash (er, diamonds) for purchasing new equipment, and learn the best routes to get out alive when things get heavy.

Every single first person shooter has issues with weapon realism and far cry is not different in terms of having problems with realism, just that the realism tweaks in FC2 are a little different than how other games have grappled with weapon realism. Also, there have been a couple of patches addressing weapon accuracy, hit and damage modelling, so, without knowing what patch the author was running, it's hard to say that their opinions are accurate for the game as played on the popular servers on the net.

After maybe 20 to 30 hours of single player play, I still have not completed the campaign .. yet I'm still playing the campaign when I have time. The setting, gang ravaged rural africa, is more realistic than many settings invented by publishers to create an action packed killing environment. The horrors of real world Somalia or Mogadishu come to life in a way that raises the conciousness of the player in a way that more fictitiously based shooters can't match.

The map editor is easier to use than any other map editor for a fps I've ever used.

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH FC2 IS THAT THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE PLAYING. Thats why the reviewer, who doesn't want to identify themself, ticks me off so much with his 6/10. It's just not a fair figure ... it's just a bad review by some wimp who prefers kiddie crack fps to strategy fps.

16. Measuring Calories in a Liquid Jul 28, 2009, 17:40 unaloony

I seem to recall, years ago, measuring the calories in substances by burning them and weighing the difference.

How do you measure calories in a liquid? You can't burn it and if you dehydrate it, don't you inevitably wind up drawing off some calories?

12. Three Wolf Moon T-Shirt Reviews on Amazo May 20, 2009, 18:57 unaloony

Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed:

Zubaz Pants - Balloon Pants w/ drawstring
How to Live with a Huge Penis: Advice, Meditatio... by Richard Jacob
Joe the Plumber: Fighting for the Ameri... by Samuel J. Wurzelbacher

lolz

4. space debris Feb 23, 2009, 21:46 unaloony

Heinlein wrote in his non-fiction expanded universe that humans only have a narrow window to leave earth. At an orbital speed of 17,000 miles an hour, a fingernail clipping is enough mass to punch through a spaceship. There simply won't be enough room to get through the junk. Further, in a few hundred years the fight for limited resources on earth will prevent use of resources for space colonization.  

9. Get a flatter belly fast! Jan 24, 2009, 03:24 unaloony

I don't know about others, but I find the "Get a flatter belly fast!" AD to be pretty offensive. The "after" picture isn't that impressive; it's the outrageously pearish cupcake handle truck tire innertube belly with the stretch marks that seems a little out of place. I'd probably follow a link to "gross belly" -- especially if it said 'NSFW'-- but when it's forced upon you ... well ... it doesn't seem to fit in with Blues News purveyor satisfaction policies as so wonderfully expressed over the years. It's self-effacing and demeaning to the whole dang enterprise here, IMHO.

BTW, hope blue receives more satisfaction looking with the Mova Globe on his desk than with $500 in clothing from Nordstroms, but, I also hope he's got another stash in case the Mrs. was suggesting he get some new clothes.

News Comments > Mobilization
1. Ace Attorney Jan 17, 2009, 00:53 unaloony

hrm ... looks like he just passed the bar and is looking for work.  

News Comments > TribesNext
53. No subject Jan 8, 2009, 23:54 unaloony

Tribes I sucked in a big part of the online fps community, especially TF fans. While Q2 set the standard for multiplayer fps, Tribes was described as the next generation team based fps that would support up to 32 players at a time (then to 64, then 128?). You could tweak Q1 & Q2 to improve multiplayer performance be picky about what servers you joined, but, net performance, particularly for those of us on 56k modems was superior in Tribes for right out of the box team based fps.
By the time tribes 2 came out, other games were being built on new engines with comparable net optimized code and community features.
When Tribes came out with its sophisticated community tools (e-mail, etc.) it was competing in a market where the first online games were using games matching services like Kali [url=]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kali_(software)[/url] which to this day has set the standard for features most welcome in playing online fps team based games where you have reasons to need to communicate, in different ways, both inside and outside the game, keep track of your buddies, etc, -- which most built in game browsers today woefuly lack . The problem with T1 and even with T2 was that it wouldn't allow you as great an ability to run your own mods on private servers or publish your server ... the anti-cheat, DRM, limited modability made it a closed cycle. But I'm really confused about the vehicles .. did tribes 2 introduce that slow moving six seater flyier and the ground assault vehicle with the inventory station in the back and rocket launcher on the roof? Most of the time riding around on that big transport I was prolly grinning about how stupid it was that while we were making our third attempt to cross the map and crashing into a hillside as one noob pilot after another tried to commandeer the controls the real battle was going on below. In recollection, spoilt by this thread, I probably enjoyed more the quite moments alternating between capping and defending on that flatish desert map with the smal pyramid bases (no vehicles, no gens, a couple base turrets, & that dastardly energy sucker). But Tribes Classic was back for a long time? Might be worth a revisit.

4. Spoiler: RPSSL Nov 20, 2008, 01:24 unaloony

I spent enough time to pass exam on rock paper scissors spock lizard enjoying it but there's one fatal flaw to the claim "thats all there is" to RPSSL.

I bet a lot of readers would not know how to throw a lizard even if there might be a contingency here who do know the ASL sign for spock. The ASL sign for lizard uses two hands (http://www.lessontutor.com/eesASLpets.html)! That's a tricky thow to pullquickly enough to stop folks from throwing rocks and scissors.

To throw a spock is to use the vulcan hand sign greeting. For the lizard I just want to see some proo
f that flipping the lizard is the same thing as flippi ng the bird. Otherwise flashing all fingers and thumb spread out straight is the closest choice for a lizard sign as its origins could be explained by the Native American story of the lizard hand:

It was Coyote who brought it about that people die. He made it thus because our hands are not closed like his. He wanted our hands to be like his, but a lizard said to him: "No, they must have my hand." He had fiver fingers and Coyote had only a fist. So now we have an open hand with five fingers. But then Coyote sayd: "Well, then they will have to die.

Please, someone find proof of the existence of alternative lizards and
spocks.

----------------------
I think you should be looking at whether the jacket liner was permeable to saliva in an abused state.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2008, 16:42 unaloony

thats some nice flying ... assuming its real  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2008, 03:27 unaloony

The lion hug video is pretty good too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/07/30/ealion130.xml

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2008, 16:16 unaloony

total fan here. thanks to franz's brilliant work i can post messages signicantly faster, cleaner, brighter, and fresher smelling. His work on adding a built in signature line is just amazing. Don't get me wrong. In fact, Im even gonna use a smiley for the first time!  

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Stop! It will throw earth out of orbit Oct 15, 2008, 22:09 unaloony

if everyone washes their hands at the same time it will cause the earth to go out of orbit!

News Comments > Safety Dance
1. Fake Breasts Can Be Remotely Pwned Aug 10, 2008, 18:34 unaloony

Yeah but did you know fake breasts can also be remotely controlled? There are two methods both using concealable hand held devices. The first method uses focused sound waves and relies upon the effect of sound on confined places and works well with saline and liquid based implants. The second method uses microwave and/or infrared technology that only affects silcon and non-organic materials .. the effect on silcon is a pronounced swelling. The two methods can be used simulatenously and can produce prounounced -- visible from a distance -- jiggling and swelling.

283 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo