Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Eric

Real Name Eric   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname EricFate
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 20, 2001, 15:52
Total Comments 147 (Novice)
User ID 11666

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > David Gaider Joins Beamdog
7. Re: David Gaider Joins Beamdog Feb 10, 2016, 06:45 EricFate

Jerykk wrote on Feb 10, 2016, 02:00:
Interesting that he went with Beamdog instead of Obsidian. That said, he probably wouldn't have been able to get the same position at Obsidian, whereas he has a lot more leverage at Beamdog. Definitely interested in seeing how Beamdog handles their first original games.

He'd actually have to work to keep up at Obsidian. Judging by his last couple projects, he seems perfectly content to phone it in these days.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Solo Campaign & TV Ambitions Revealed
17. Re: Titanfall 2 Solo Campaign & TV Ambitions Revealed Feb 8, 2016, 08:11 EricFate

Nucas wrote on Feb 7, 2016, 16:09:
halo: nightfall was produced by ridley scott and defiance had a 100 million dollar show budget and fizzled. keep chasing that transmedia empire dream boyos.

There was a show?

*checks Google*

Halo: Nightfall is a live-action Xbox Originals webseries for the Xbox One, Xbox 360, and other Microsoft devices which was released in late 2014.

Oh. Yeah. Can't imagine why THAT would of failed...

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Solo Campaign & TV Ambitions Revealed
4. Re: Titanfall 2 Solo Campaign & TV Ambitions Revealed Feb 7, 2016, 15:59 EricFate

DangerDog wrote on Feb 7, 2016, 14:30:
The main reason people didn't leave it installed for occasional play is the size of the game, 50+ gb is just stupid.

Exactly this. I think the amount of time spent installing, patching, and waiting for the game to load was roughly equal to the amount of time the game was able to hold my attention.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 6, 2016, 20:28 EricFate

That will clearly stop the cord cutters, not drive them to less legal services that will offer the EXACT SAME programming, only sooner and without ads.  

News Comments > Godus Becomes Godus Wars
27. Re: Godus Becomes Godus Wars Feb 4, 2016, 07:08 EricFate

Redmask wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 05:41:
It has microtransactions LOL. Some fuckin nerve of this guy, re-releasing his unfinished game to circumvent bad reviews.

I give him six months before they pivot again and decide it needs to be a DOTA game and that all combat most be resolved via a collectible card dueling system.

News Comments > Hearthstone Adds New Standard Mode
6. Re: Hearthstone Adds New Standard Mode Feb 3, 2016, 06:50 EricFate

Dev wrote on Feb 2, 2016, 23:16:
Ah, going the Magic the gathering cards way. Tons of expansions and most tourneys disallow most old cards, so always a stream of money coming in.

Brilliant marketing scheme and it works, Wizards of the Coast brings in TONS of money on it. Also a bit greedy, but if people are willing to drop money on it, that's how capitalism is.

Get them hooked by marketing yourself as something different, then immediately shift your model to match the current market leader once you have your base. Funny thing is, the ones who are truly hooked will defend this to the end while still maintaining the illusion that they didn't just get taken for a ride.

Will be interesting to see if losing all their casual players will increase their bottom line or not in the long run.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jan 30, 2016, 10:00 EricFate

The VR Fractal thing is neat. Though I have to wonder, would Slashdot have considered it newsworthy if it had been done by anyone other than Notch?  

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Jan 25, 2016, 21:22 EricFate

This is his fourth time quitting social media? Fifth?

I hope it sticks this time. The stupid drama he keeps stepping in would be bad enough for a completely healthy person. I enjoy the content he puts out there. I don't enjoy the endless cycle of bombast and pity party that he locks himself into whenever he tries to engage in what he interprets as reasonable debate.

News Comments > Vivendi Sells Activision Stake
9. Re: Vivendi Sells Activision Stake Jan 16, 2016, 18:30 EricFate

Beamer wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 17:25:
Stormsinger wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 13:05:
Uh... no it doesn't?

They made no such bet, and they've been trying to get out of Activision for a while. Trying to get out of all entertainment.

Riiiiiiight. That's why they increased their stake in Ubisoft and Gameloft to 10%+ in October.

News Comments > Vivendi Sells Activision Stake
4. Re: Vivendi Sells Activision Stake Jan 16, 2016, 15:17 EricFate

Freeing up the assets they need to continue with their attempts to acquire a controlling interest in Ubisoft. That should be a fun fight.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 16, 2016, 09:50 EricFate

Of course PC sales are down. When you buy something, and it works for everything you need it to, then you don't discard it in favor of a new model until you need that new feature.

If VR winds up being a useful tool rather than a gimmick, then I'll finally retire my current system and build a new one that is specifically designed to drive that hardware. Otherwise, all I've needed to do over the past 7 years to keep it current is add more storage, more memory, a new power supply, and a new video card.

It isn't like the 90's, where every other week brought in some new product that you HAD to get, but required a completely different kind of system architecture to utilize. We're now down to 2 CPU choices, 2 Video Card choices, and NO Soundcard choices because there is always something built into the Motherboard (as is Ethernet). The other computer purchase I made in the past decade was a laptop, for remote work. But I bought that used, not from a vendor because all it really needed to do was be able to run LibreOffice and a web browser.

News Comments > Game Jolt Client
5. Re: Game Jolt Client Jan 14, 2016, 07:57 EricFate

Ok, so this product allows me to install games with ONE CLICK, instead of two, I guess. That's good. Double clicking those installers might have worn out my mouse button. It auto-updates, a feature that is built into most modern games, but maybe some of the more retro folks prefer to stick with the whole downloadable patches system by design. Can't allow them to do that. Play offline. If the game is installed, can't I do that anyway? Play HTML games within the client. That's a selling point? If this is a downloadable client, then in order to get it, I must have a browser. If I have a browser, then I don't need a crippled pseudo browser within the client in order to play ... what exactly. Shitty NewGrounds games? Open Source. Great, I guess. I can sift through the code and learn how to design something I would never want install, use, or recommend.  

News Comments > Op Ed
58. Re: Op Ed Jan 11, 2016, 22:37 EricFate

https://medium.com/steam-spy/about-steam-winter-sale-76a75abe152a#.tef4mp7k2

In case anyone wants to look at actual numbers with actual analysis behind them.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
1. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 10, 2016, 19:18 EricFate

I finally sat down and watched S4 for the first time a few weeks ago. It made me wish there had never been a S4. I think I'll pass on 5.  

News Comments > Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak Trailer
9. Re: Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak Trailer Jan 9, 2016, 17:58 EricFate

Task wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 22:00:
The good news is Gearbox isn't developing it, they are just publishing. "Gearbox granted permission for use of the Homeworld IP to Blackbird Interactive, a company formed by members of the original Homeworld development team in 2007."

I know I'll eventually wind up getting it, because I want the Blackbird folks to succeed... but I can't fathom how creating a new installment of a franchise that was enjoyed for the fact that it allowed for tactical RTS style combat to take place in a 3D space, and reducing your play environment to make it ground based makes any sense at all. They better nail the atmosphere and have an engaging story or this thing will be quickly forgotten.

News Comments > Psychonauts 2 Funded
5. Re: Psychonauts 2 Funded Jan 7, 2016, 04:14 EricFate

007Bistromath wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 23:44:
Oh boy! The game this guy has repeatedly said would require more than ten times this amount to make has been "funded!" Can't wait to see what he'll do with all that money.

3.3mil is the crowdfunded portion. There is also the private investor portion, the external partner portion, and the reinvestment of internal profits. I think a lot of the success or failure of the deveopment for this game will depend on how many employee hours get consumed by that 'Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin' project that is being underwritten for PlayStation VR. If they develop a bunch of things that can be easily re-purposed to streamline the true sequel, great. They save a bunch of time and money up front. Then the only bottleneck becomes how quickly they can drag a completed design document and script out of Tim. That's the part that usually kills them. I love the man, I love his games, but my god he can procrastinate with the best of them.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 5, 2016, 08:47 EricFate

Tom wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 21:56:
I read that headline as "artificially intelligent butter."

So disappointed to find out the truth.

Same.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2016, 13:05 EricFate

I'm looking at my Steam Sale purchases this year, and comparing them to how much I spent in previous years.

Yep, Cliffy is pulling numbers out of his ass.

Why is he newsworthy again?

News Comments > Morning Interviews
3. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 31, 2015, 19:30 EricFate

"Chris Roberts is a film director that happens to know a lot about games."

I guess that statement is true, in the same sense that Ed Wood and Tommy Wiseau are film directors.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 31, 2015, 13:54 EricFate

I 'optimized' them by dropping them for another carrier last month.  

147 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo