Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Eric

Real Name Eric   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname EricFate
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 20, 2001, 15:52
Total Comments 68 (Suspect)
User ID 11666

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jun 18, 2014, 11:32 EricFate

Traditional games press killed itself. See: Kotaku.

Between the larger aggregation sites who come as close as legally possible to being paid shills to the smaller blogs who copy/paste press releases in order to do the bare minimum to qualify for a media badge to various conventions, there has been very little actual press to be found in the garbage heap. Kind of like the non games press.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Deus Ex Universe Online Hint?
4. Re: Deus Ex Universe Online Hint? Jun 18, 2014, 11:12 EricFate

Oh good. Another MMO that nobody is asking for. The only question is, will it fold quicker than Matrix Online, or will they drag it out as a free download with micro-transactions?  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
8. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 17, 2014, 02:57 EricFate

You know those 1000 monkeys that have been working away for an infinite amount of time on that Shakespeare collection? Apparently they've traded in their typewriters for Ouya devkits.  

News Comments > Minecraft versus Pay to Win Severs
18. Re: Minecraft versus Pay to Win Severs Jun 9, 2014, 09:08 EricFate

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 23:29:
jacobvandy wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 19:48:
What else did you expect, once the official server hosting came online? People should not be profiting from running a multiplayer server for any game...

Why not? You think they should do it for free, even though they pay to operate the server?

Yes. The only cost incurred by a person operating a server is the cost of their hosting. If they are billing for anything above and beyond that, they are entitled to nothing unless they happen to work for the company who created the product they are paying to host.

If they feel they need to be compensated for their time spent making or maintaining content because their regular income cannot support the hours they are spending on recreation -- then they need to re-evaluate their lives.

If they are part of a structure which promotes itself to the point where ad revenue and donated funds are enough that this has technically become their day job, then great. They can do that too.

The one thing they cannot and have never been allowed to do is charge real money for in game objects/benefits.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. Online Beta Next Week
29. Re: F.E.A.R. Online Beta Next Week May 21, 2014, 06:54 EricFate

At least the price is right.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse May 9, 2014, 21:55 EricFate

Glad to know our most recent Olympic experiences have taught everyone involved about how important it is to choose quality rather than going straight for the money grab. Oh wait...  

News Comments > Molyneux: Indie Revival "Won't Last"
46. Re: Molyneux: Indie Revival Mar 25, 2014, 18:29 EricFate

Why does anyone even interview Molyneux anymore? He hasn't had any credibility since the 90's ended and Black & White was inflicted on the gaming public. Everything since that point has been pie in the sky drivel followed by disappointment. Fable was the only fun product between then and now, and even it wasn't even remotely close to having the feature set that Pete blathered on about to any outlet who would listen.  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash
37. Re: Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash Feb 9, 2014, 05:51 EricFate

That is exactly what I want to hear a company in their position to say. The entire reason I donate to this kind of endeavor is because I am sick to death of stuff being shipped before it was ready at the whim of a marketing team.

I want the game in my hands when it is done and not a moment before.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
3. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 31, 2014, 13:26 EricFate

Is there a separate fund somewhere we can donate to in order to make Brad McQuaid STOP making games?  

News Comments > YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns
21. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 18, 2013, 07:55 EricFate

Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 23:22:
If they had permission then there wouldn't be any claims, would there? That means the content owners would be cutting off an extra revenue source. I think it's you who needs to brush up the facts, champ.

Tell that to the content owners who have explicit permission from the gaming companies who are still getting these content clams. And not just on a one off basis. Years worth of material, now all suddenly sending ad revenue somewhere else due to a bot arbitrarily deciding that an image or a collection of notes is a content match to some other thing which someone chose to register with them once.

It doesn't even have to be content they had the right to register in the first place. Royalty free music? Still earns a content claim. Music you composed and played yourself, or licensed from a third party who composed and played it? Still earns a content claim. And who gets the revenue? Not you, and not the guy who composed or played it.

How you dispute it? Fill out a form and wait three months.

How many can you dispute at once? Usually three, so if an entire series got hit, too bad. You can only do it on a case by case basis, so if you want that revenue back, look forward to filling out dispute forms for the next four years.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Dec 4, 2013, 10:11 EricFate

Has there been any game released in the past two years that didn't immediately have video of people playing it on live streaming websites and youtube? It becomes very apparent, very quickly, whether something is unplayable crap or not.

The only place I would like to see refunds available would be on Pre-Order digital purchases. I can at least pass along the unopened product and the related bonus codes on someone else if I wanted to return or re-sell a piece of physical media.

But if I had ordered a Collector's Edition of, say, Dragon Age 2, then there would be no recourse. Even though the folks who control the store could simply purge the data from my account.

News Comments > Double Fine Regains Rights; Will Re-release Games
6. Re: Double Fine Regains Rights; Will Re-release Games Nov 26, 2013, 15:07 EricFate

Cool. I hope they merchandize the hell out of it. I need some Psychonauts action figures, stat!  

News Comments > Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers Remake Announced
10. Re: Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers Remake Announced Oct 9, 2013, 08:09 EricFate

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers was the only game Jensen made which, once released, seemed flawless. Graphics worked, voice acting worked, strong plot, fun overall.

Then she seemed to forget what made it fun, tried to shoehorn in a bunch of technology and puzzle development which did not serve the series in any meaningful way (http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/79.html) and the series was forgotten.

I have no faith that this re-work of the original will result in anything I would actually want to own or play. Just get the original to play nice with modern machines ala GOG.com, package it with some supplemental materials and call it a day.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 8, 2013, 10:22 EricFate

I'm amazed they didn't follow it with "...at this time."

Verno wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 08:56:
"We do not have plans" yeah that's a real ironclad stance you have there.

News Comments > Wasteland Kings Renamed Nuclear Throne
1. Re: Wasteland Kings Renamed Nuclear Throne Sep 30, 2013, 09:49 EricFate

Indeed it is.  

News Comments > Learn Gaming from the Romero Professors
23. Re: Learn Gaming from the Romero Professors Sep 18, 2013, 22:25 EricFate

To be fair, they did ask American McGee first, but he turned them down when they refused his demand to rename the campus "American McGee's UC Santa Cruz".  

News Comments > New BioWare Boss Named
2. Re: New BioWare Boss Named Sep 10, 2013, 10:27 EricFate

So they went with the guy who Zeschuk and Muzyka hand picked to replace them. That's safe. Even with all the KOTOR baggage.  

News Comments > Derek Paxton Overseeing All Stardock Development
8. Re: Derek Paxton Overseeing All Stardock Development Sep 10, 2013, 09:38 EricFate

And it happened only two weeks before Brad's sexual harassment case goes to trial. What a coincidence.  

News Comments > Battle.net Desktop App Beta
9. Re: Battle.net Desktop App Beta Aug 15, 2013, 07:56 EricFate

Counting down until someone dissects it and finds at least one 'additional hidden feature' which does something questionable.  

News Comments > Star Control IP/Toys For Bob Follow-up
11. Re: StarCraft IP/Toys For Bob Follow-up Jul 24, 2013, 19:45 EricFate

Kristian Joensen wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 13:52:
But there will be a new Star Control game with Star Control 2 serving as a major source of inspiration. That's about all I can say at this time."

I want this to be a good thing, but given their track record, I just don't have any faith that Stardock has the ability to deliver something that I would enjoy playing even remotely as much as the original.

68 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo