Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Eric

Real Name Eric   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname EricFate
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 20, 2001, 15:52
Total Comments 83 (Suspect)
User ID 11666

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 11, 2014, 18:41 EricFate

I'm amazed they got it to stop crashing to desktop for long enough to even take a benchmark reading.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gone Gold - Dragon Age: Inquisition
31. Re: Gone Gold - Dragon Age: Inquisition Nov 1, 2014, 13:02 EricFate

Julio wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 21:41:
Fletch wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 21:39:
Omni wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 21:37:
Looking forward to it. Lets just hope BioWare doesn't pull a Mass Effect 3 on it.

It can't be worse than DA2.

I have faith that it can be worse.

I'm not sure there is anything left to scrape from the bottom of this barrel. Perhaps they will just ship a DVD snap case full of wood shavings?

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Nov 1, 2014, 12:09 EricFate

They USPS article says "sustain public confidence in the mail" as if such a thing even exists any more. It hasn't existed for nearly a decade anywhere except for in the bureaucratic layer of the USPS itself. People use it because it is convenient and still the cheapest way to get physical media from point A to point B. But if it contains secure information or needs to get there overnight -- then that crap is going to FedEx or a private courier.  

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released
35. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released Oct 25, 2014, 00:10 EricFate

Like all of their modern offerings, I look forward to buying it, looking at it, but not actually having fun with it until they release the second expansion.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 8, 2014, 15:10 EricFate

NKD wrote on Oct 8, 2014, 12:33:
Eh without recordings of the phone calls it's hard to say. It's possible this guy started invoking the name of his company to try and get things done. That's actually against the policies of a lot of companies. But if that's true, Comcast is still a little bitch for reporting an upset and dissatisfied customer.

The call recordings will either hang him or exonerate him. If Comcast mysteriously 'loses' said recordings, or these service calls were mysteriously NOT recorded for quality control purposes, then it won't be hard to convince a jury given Comcast's track record.

But in reality they'll bluster for a bit to the press, and then quietly settle out of court once we lose interest.

News Comments > Stardock Announces Sorcerer King: Early Access Underway
5. Idea ad copy. Oct 3, 2014, 11:21 EricFate

"Sorcerer King! It can't be any worse than Elemental: War of Magic!"  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Delayed
21. Re: Pillars of Eternity Delayed Oct 3, 2014, 11:19 EricFate

Exactly my sentiment. Josh has been very actively engaged on various forums in evaluating and responding to player feedback from people like me. I would rather have a near perfect game experience 6, 10, 12 months from now, than have a flawed game experience tomorrow.

The entire reason I choose to participate in crowdfunding for games like this is because I want them to be done when they are done, not when the marketing team decided to ship.

panbient wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 19:42:
So... exactly what anyone with a clue expected from the start.

It's cool, I can wait.

News Comments > Tim Schaefer Addresses Spacebase DF-9 Questions
6. Re: Tim Schaefer Addresses Spacebase DF-9 Questions Sep 22, 2014, 09:47 EricFate

Ludomancer wrote on Sep 22, 2014, 09:45:
So the game itself isn't too good?

Not $25 good, no. More like $7.99 good.

News Comments > Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans
46. Re: Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans Sep 21, 2014, 10:41 EricFate

I bought 'thing' because I wanted it to be X. Instead it turned out to be Y. Why hasn't [insert company name here] lived up to my unrealistic expectations! Time to spew outrage on the internet!!!

Seriously. Why does anybody buy anything on early access with the expectation that their personal vision will be catered to and fully realized? All of the marketing, all of the development roadmaps, all the hype -- all meaningless. There were people all over youtube who were playing this at various stages during the development, and those videos gave a very clear demonstration that this was a product that I wouldn't find fun or interesting -- despite the fact that the project goal described something that sounded interesting and fun.

If the people fanning the flames of outrage had spent even a fraction of their energy on critical thought or self control, this would be a non-issue. Instead, the airwaves will be dominated by whomever is loudest and has the least amount of impulse control, until such point as the next shiny thing makes them part with their money, sight unseen.

News Comments > Op Ed
34. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 14:51 EricFate

William Usher wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 13:38:
Like all things, the discussion would have passed and -- at worst -- Kotaku's reputation would have been sullied just a bit more than it already was.

You used Kotaku and reputation in the same sentence. That's funny.

News Comments > Activision Taking Take-Two?
16. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Aug 31, 2014, 17:41 EricFate

Given their track record over the past decade, I seriously doubt that ANYONE would willingly choose to be acquired by Activision.  

News Comments > Amazon Buys Twitch
31. Re: Amazon Buys Twitch Aug 26, 2014, 00:23 EricFate

killer_roach wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 21:32:
Gipson wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 19:38:
i'm also Amazon > Google
grats to Twitch.

Well, that plus they were far less likely to get nailed with an antitrust suit.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Aug 19, 2014, 20:48 EricFate

After Simcity 5, anyone who pre-orders an EA game deserves what they get.  

News Comments > BioWare Announces Shadow Realms
18. Re: BioWare Announces Shadow Realms Aug 13, 2014, 11:46 EricFate

"Episodic". From a company like EA, what this tells me is that they'll have two good stories, then they'll lay off the team and bury it. Either that or they'll try to turn it into an MMO.  

News Comments > John Romero's New Shooter Plans
37. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 11, 2014, 23:28 EricFate

Oh boy! Will it have lots of green and brown? What about crates? I hope there are crates!  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jun 18, 2014, 11:32 EricFate

Traditional games press killed itself. See: Kotaku.

Between the larger aggregation sites who come as close as legally possible to being paid shills to the smaller blogs who copy/paste press releases in order to do the bare minimum to qualify for a media badge to various conventions, there has been very little actual press to be found in the garbage heap. Kind of like the non games press.

News Comments > Deus Ex Universe Online Hint?
4. Re: Deus Ex Universe Online Hint? Jun 18, 2014, 11:12 EricFate

Oh good. Another MMO that nobody is asking for. The only question is, will it fold quicker than Matrix Online, or will they drag it out as a free download with micro-transactions?  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
8. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 17, 2014, 02:57 EricFate

You know those 1000 monkeys that have been working away for an infinite amount of time on that Shakespeare collection? Apparently they've traded in their typewriters for Ouya devkits.  

News Comments > Minecraft versus Pay to Win Severs
18. Re: Minecraft versus Pay to Win Severs Jun 9, 2014, 09:08 EricFate

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 23:29:
jacobvandy wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 19:48:
What else did you expect, once the official server hosting came online? People should not be profiting from running a multiplayer server for any game...

Why not? You think they should do it for free, even though they pay to operate the server?

Yes. The only cost incurred by a person operating a server is the cost of their hosting. If they are billing for anything above and beyond that, they are entitled to nothing unless they happen to work for the company who created the product they are paying to host.

If they feel they need to be compensated for their time spent making or maintaining content because their regular income cannot support the hours they are spending on recreation -- then they need to re-evaluate their lives.

If they are part of a structure which promotes itself to the point where ad revenue and donated funds are enough that this has technically become their day job, then great. They can do that too.

The one thing they cannot and have never been allowed to do is charge real money for in game objects/benefits.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. Online Beta Next Week
29. Re: F.E.A.R. Online Beta Next Week May 21, 2014, 06:54 EricFate

At least the price is right.  

83 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo