Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paranoid Jack

Real Name Paranoid Jack   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Paranoid Jack
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.speedmatters.org/cwatest
Signed On Nov 5, 2001, 00:47
Total Comments 1733 (Pro)
User ID 11537

User comment history
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield 2142 Hotfix
10. Re: BF2? Nov 24, 2006, 21:01 Paranoid Jack

"Why does the title say Battlefield 2?"

Because Blue has posted so many of these with patches for BF2 and now BF2142 that he has totally lost it... it's just one big patch-fest!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Black Friday Previews
1. UFO: Afterlight Nov 24, 2006, 20:26 Paranoid Jack

After playing the first and second games (the second more than the first by far) but never finishing either. I can say that Altar knows how to improve on this series and I am looking forward to this one more than the other two combined. Should be a great game. I just hope they didn't draw out the end-game too far with hours upon hours of repetitive missions and game-play. After a few hundred hours of play even some of the biggest fans will just fold and walk away.

Basically there were triggers in Aftershock so even if you had beaten the enemy back and were taking their last patch of land on Earth the game wouldn't let you win. It would automatically give them three of your zones (usually two where important to you).

Then the story-line triggers where another hurdle you had to get over or you would just be stuck in a holding pattern and wondering why.

From the sound and look of it they have come a very long way since Aftermath. This is a must buy for people who love this genre of games.

News Comments > Battlefield 2142 Hotfix
2. Hot Fix? Nov 24, 2006, 19:01 Paranoid Jack

Well I am more than happy I skipped this one. After buying NWN2 and Gothic3 both in a less than stellar state (buggy) I would have been very pissed to have bought three buggy ass games in a row. Though most people seem to feel Gothic is beyond playable (very buggy) I have had more frustration playing NWN2 with the craptacular AI.

As far as BF2142 I won't be buying this and most likely not the next version until I read forums where users are praising the changes DICE have made.

News Comments > Monday Game Reviews
10. Re: Gothic 3 Nov 21, 2006, 00:35 Paranoid Jack

Ive spent days looking at bugs trees rocks NPC floating 6 feet off the ground tons of see threw textures and always the flashing water please make it stop!

Damn, I have seen a few weird things happen but nothing like any of that shit. Sounds like (at least some of it) may be a video drivers issue. What you running?

Weirdest thing for me at certain times when I kill large numbers of Orcs I begin to take them out in one blow. So I become an Orc Slaying God but only temporarily. It's fun while it lasts though.

What it reminds me of is the old stories of warriors entering a berserker state. It's fun while it lasts. Yet I have to wonder if it is a feature or a bug.

Good Review VD.

Edit: D'oh!

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 09:31.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
9. Re: Optimus keyboard Nov 20, 2006, 10:27 Paranoid Jack

Hard to tell from the pictures but it appears the keys have edges on them. Like a framed around the little screen that projects the images. My point is if all the keys are similar and if those are as sharp as they appear your fingers will be sore as hell before you get an hour into any game.

Most likely it just has normal keys with the "ooooh, look at those" hot-link keys to one side. Still a pretty cool product.

Did you watch the video from YouTube?

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
8. Re: Glider Nov 19, 2006, 01:59 Paranoid Jack

"In a CAL atmosphere you arn't going to get away with it..."

/rank on

Ok, now you went and pissed me off. Put the crack pipe down. Because if you think those clowns could or even want to face the cold hard truth you got to be smoking something.

Without too much detail. We busted a top two ranked clan with members using downloaded skillz. We had FRAPS video of it. No human could be so accurate or know the exact location of every target and take them down the moment they broken cover without using hacks. You know what they (CAL admins) did when we sent them the proof they requested?

Nothing.

Matches continued on for another two weeks and when we ask them (CAL Admins) what they were doing about it? Well in the next day or two a post was put up about a clan retiring. Yeah, moving on, had enough of the game.

So don't even think for a second that CAL (or any other group) can stop cheats from effecting any game. Hell, Punk Buster can't even catch most of the hacks being used. Not that they really care or need to. It's all a scam. A false sense of security.

We (my old clan) quit the whole competitive gaming thing because CAL was just the first to show us how corrupt the admins are running those sites. Any admin on any site should not be competing in the games they hold administrative power over. It's a conflict of interests.

And when they catch their own using hacks as a member of the number one ranked clan? Well let's just say the rules... they apply to the players not the admin-players. That whole site used to stink of corruption run by a pack of little asshole dictators who all happened to play with the top ranked clans... imagine that.

So my hope is that anyone using a cheat in any competitive game online dies a slow painful death before spending all of eternity burning in hell.

/rant off

Have a nice day!

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Backwards Compatability Nov 17, 2006, 20:30 Paranoid Jack

"Sure thing ma'am, we got like 200 in stock! They lasted for about ten minutes after the doors opened."

There I fixed it.

Mass Effect is looking bad-ass. Too bad no PC version...

News Comments > Neverwinter Nights Q&A
1. Patch? Nov 16, 2006, 09:52 Paranoid Jack

I was hoping they were going to ask them about the patch. When we would see it? Though the Q&A was probably done some time ago and they held onto it until now.

I tried getting back into the game again last night and after telling all my party members to stand their ground I lead the way in search mode looking for traps.

Funny thing was I had control over the main character but when he spotted a trap he disarmed it on his own. Not one trap but the next four. It was almost like a Dungeon Siege flash-back... the game was almost playing itself.

I can deal with the camera. There are enough different modes of use that at least one or two are appropriate for the situation. But this buggy AI is starting to turn me off from the game. That is my biggest complaint... pretty much my only complaint.

The game is pretty good and by far better than the original. Does anyone have any idea about the patch? I went to the official forums but there's a damned spoiler of some type in every post there.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 09:54.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - NA Gothic 3
31. Re: No subject Nov 14, 2006, 20:42 Paranoid Jack

As far as the lame ass NWN2 camera... there are five different modes of use. At least one of them should be to your liking. I usually use two or three depending on what the environment is and the scope of the battle.

I am enjoying both games but after having some frustration with party & path-finding AI and the occasional camera taking on a life of it's own I went back to playing G3.

Level 27 now. Even with the bugs there is still more pleasure than frustration to be had. Of course I am not experiencing many crashes and very few quests with bugs. I think part of the trouble with the quests is how they tie in to other events in the game world. At least from what I have noticed. If you do certain things you auto complete a quest that you may not even have had. And that may have eliminated some possible dialog options for other quests.

Slight Spoiler!!!

Hard to give an example but when I first came across the Nordmar clan which had lost their forge inside the mountain... the Orks had taken it over. I didn't know that because the direction I was traveling I found the south-western entrance first. I started clearing Orks. I fought Orks for hours and at some point I became an Ork Killing God. I could take any Ork out with one swipe of my sword. I mowed down about a hundred or more before reaching that forge inside by the flowing lava. When I finally killed the last Ork beside the forge I leveled up and XP started scrolling past at a crazy rate. Due to the huge numbers of Orks I had killed. As I explored the clan arrived and depending on who I spoke with I got more XP for doing some quest or another I hadn't even taken via dialog option.

Not sure how many quests I missed out on but since the game is so large I don't think it will matter much if any. My advise to anyone wanting to buy G3 is to first decide if you are an easily frustrated person if so hold off until the game is properly patched. If minor or possibly some major issues don't make you mad or angry then get the game regardless. Because like G2 this game has something that most other RPGs can't touch.

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 21:13.

21. Re: hahah #20 Nov 14, 2006, 17:12 Paranoid Jack

Thanks, I had to laugh when I read your quote and I had typed found any twice in a row. Talk about a skipping record. That sounded like Tommy Two Times.

17. Re: hahah Nov 14, 2006, 16:08 Paranoid Jack

"Hmm I bought a lifetime subscription to that but I'm getting a bit bored with the constant grinding - would kinda like new dungeons to explore"

When playing it I would always recommend you try your sword out in the moaning cavern before grinding away in the dungeon.

As far as G3 has anyone found any found any Nordmar Nogginfog? Or even know what the hell it is? I need some to craft a sword...

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 16:14.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: PS3 Preorders Nov 14, 2006, 12:51 Paranoid Jack

What makes me laugh is (and I almost feel badly about laughing) that Sony pointed their stubby Japanese fingers at MS the entire 360 launch and chuckled and made numerous media statements as to how their release would not have these issues and that anyone wanting a PS3 on release day would have one. LOL

Yeah, they finally got a grip with reality about six months or so back and started admitting there would be shortages. Yet they still claimed the reason they didn't start mass producing the units until just a few months ago... well it was all part of their plan. There was nothing wrong we planned it this way. Bahaha

And after the shortages with the 360 GameStop/EBGames held off taking pre-orders of PS3. Waited until they had the best estimates they could get from Sony. But it was all for nothing. Sony still dropped the ball and has made even more errors in their launch than MS.

Not that I care or want one just feel bad for all those that do. Plus I love to hate Sony like most people love to hate MS.

News Comments > Gothic 3 Demo
15. Re: Well.... Nov 10, 2006, 20:47 Paranoid Jack

Going by what people have said, strip away all the bugs and the game is pretty plain.

I guess you could say that. Just opposite of Oblivion... strip away all the shiny graphics and the game is very plain. But to choose between the two I would pick Gothic anytime. Hard to put it into words. Gothic just feels more fleshed out (bugs and all). The world looks more real less Disneyland. The tension never leaves you as you're exploring. Though Oblivion was good at using sound effects and music to set the mood the easily killed creatures always riped that away.

As far as the voice acting... yeah, somethings get lost in the translations. The voice acting isn't Patrick Stewart and it may be a bit low budget at times but at least they aren't all the same half a dozen psychos with multiple personality disorder.

Oblivion had/has tons of issues... it is just easier to overlook for some since the graphics are shiny and the polish is on in a lot of places.

So basically it comes down to taste and what you find acceptable. Both games are great at times and good at the very least though for different reasons to different people.

Gothic 3 will take it place as another undersold classic in the years to come no doubt. And yeah the blame lies squarely with PB and the publishers for not taking more time to polish it for the masses.

One of the biggest selling points about G3 (and your mileage may vary)... for me it gets better the more I play. Exact opposite of Oblivion which got more shallow the longer I played. And again I know the big O has some mods that changed it for the better I just haven't gotten over the felling it left me with after playing it. So I am looking forward to the replaying of the big O in a year or two when Vista has totally screwed the gaming industry and everyone is replaying old games on XP instead of upgrading to Vista.

This comment was edited on Nov 10, 21:12.

News Comments > Knights of the Nine Clarified
8. Re: No subject Nov 10, 2006, 10:13 Paranoid Jack

They should call it Knights of the 9.99!

News Comments > Neverwinter Nights 2 Hotfix
9. Re: No subject Nov 10, 2006, 10:09 Paranoid Jack

Killing or Culling... Just get'er done!

I'm happy so far... 80% of the time at least. Just that 20% with the crap AI, crap path-finding, and crap camera getting stuck or jerking around walls and buildings that tarnishes this other-wise very good game.

I haven't tried playing the evil side but I hear it pretty much doesn't exist. Basically the goodie-toe-shoes response to everything is up top and at the bottom of each dialog tree is the evil or chaotic response. Strange because mostly the evil side just seems like playing a smart-ass sarcastic character... not a pure evil character. Or are they the same? Not to me... at least not 100% of the time.

This comment was edited on Nov 10, 10:11.

News Comments > Gothic 3 Demo Friday
28. Re: No subject Nov 8, 2006, 21:44 Paranoid Jack

Well, I am Paranoia! And I love G3 and NWN2. Not perfect but damned fun games. Anyone who claims either is a POS is a can or two short of a six-pack. G3 has ten times the atmosphere that Oblivion had. Not to mention a hundred times more tension due to the great environment and huge ass game-world.

I'm Paranoid Jack and I endorse this ad.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
14. Re: No subject Nov 8, 2006, 10:18 Paranoid Jack

I agree on avoiding the official forums. Unless you're having major issues which I am not. Just minor ones here.

I hate reading even the smallest of spoilers which can be found everywhere when you have thousands of posters hitting the boards.

Over-all its a great game from the party member story and/or plot aspect. And the combat side can be good fun until the bugs or AI issues pop up. Funny how they aren't persistent... just appear now and then. Usually while you are fighting a mob.

Thanks for the camera tip I will try it out as soon as I return from work.

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 10:18.

News Comments > Gothic 3 Euro Patch
9. Re: HUGE Nov 8, 2006, 09:55 Paranoid Jack

This game is definitely a "grower" for me. The more you play it the more you like it.

I agree. And I second what Venomhed stated. I'll also agree that this game would have been so much better with a few months of hard-core polishing (Quality Assurance). The deeper I go the more I like it. And even though I have spent most of my points on Hunting skills I can still handle some of the tougher creatures in melee. Only thing I hate about combat is the constant step forward with every action. Other than that its pretty damned fun.

The over-all game atmosphere is way beyond most cRPGs and I can't remember any action cRPGs being this tension filled. I'm not sure if its a character development thing or play-style but I can actually take on a pack of five or six wolves and have a good chance at survival. I switch to a pole-arm do a spin attack scoring hits on several at once. Then as each wolf moves in closer for his lung I change directions and swing at him. Usually scoring a hit on him plus a couple others in the arc. Attacking targets to your rear is very important. If you don't and only attack your front opponents you will most likely die.

As far as the AI, it is a bit of bitter-sweet. Like with the roaming packs of wolves. They halt and then attack as an aggressive group. But once you score a few hits they hold back surrounding you and taking turns lunging in for a hit. Other times the AI path-finding can cause issues, nothing new here seems 75% of all games have this issue.

But exploring the realistic looking environments just pulls me into the game-world. And being surprised by a boar at night (or other bigger creatures) actually makes you jump.

I picked up NWN2 and it took me three days playing it before I stopped wanting to go back to G3. But now that I have reached NW and am having more annoying party AI issues fighting in tomes and dungeons I am thinking about switching back to G3.

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 10:22.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
5. Is it just me or is... Nov 8, 2006, 01:09 Paranoid Jack

... the party AI all hit and miss? Click a behavior tab for all party members not to pick locks/disable traps auto yet the rogue still does it. Right click to tell all party members to stand their ground then select another character for something and watch the member you just had control over go running at the enemy (though you just told ALL to stand their ground).

That is the most annoying part of the game so far. Telling the party to attack nearest and two of the three just stand there? Not to mention getting stuck on placed objects... so yeah, the path-finding also needs some work.

It can be totally frustrating when these small bugs and the camera all go wacko in the middle of a battle down a tight corridor.

Not that I am not enjoying the game for the most part... it's just that (like Gothic 3) this game should have been held back for another month or two of polishing.

Both are good games but could have been great.

EDIT: As far as Puppet mode goes... same things happen to me when I have puppet mode selected. When you go puppet the AI should be totally off yet when changing from one member to another some of the AI options are still kicking in and causing the previously controlled member to run AI even though the AI should be off.

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 01:35.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Neverwinter Nights 2
78. Re: EB Games...suck Nov 1, 2006, 21:17 Paranoid Jack

Down load it unless you absolutely have to have the crap Limited Edition version or just want to have it on disc.

Oh, try to get the huge 82.7mb patch while you are waiting for the arrival. I went the pre-order route but had it over-nighted and thanks to God they used UPS not Fed-Ex(those asshole won't leave anything without a signature, even after signing the authorization for them to do just that).

Anyway downloading the patch now and read most of the manual off the net last night.... Sad, I know.

1733 Comments. 87 pages. Viewing page 45.
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo