Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paranoid Jack

Real Name Paranoid Jack   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Paranoid Jack
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.speedmatters.org/cwatest
Signed On Nov 5, 2001, 00:47
Total Comments 1719 (Pro)
User ID 11537

User comment history
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

News Comments > Neverwinter Nights 2 Hotfix
9. Re: No subject Nov 10, 2006, 10:09 Paranoid Jack

Killing or Culling... Just get'er done!

I'm happy so far... 80% of the time at least. Just that 20% with the crap AI, crap path-finding, and crap camera getting stuck or jerking around walls and buildings that tarnishes this other-wise very good game.

I haven't tried playing the evil side but I hear it pretty much doesn't exist. Basically the goodie-toe-shoes response to everything is up top and at the bottom of each dialog tree is the evil or chaotic response. Strange because mostly the evil side just seems like playing a smart-ass sarcastic character... not a pure evil character. Or are they the same? Not to me... at least not 100% of the time.

This comment was edited on Nov 10, 10:11.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gothic 3 Demo Friday
28. Re: No subject Nov 8, 2006, 21:44 Paranoid Jack

Well, I am Paranoia! And I love G3 and NWN2. Not perfect but damned fun games. Anyone who claims either is a POS is a can or two short of a six-pack. G3 has ten times the atmosphere that Oblivion had. Not to mention a hundred times more tension due to the great environment and huge ass game-world.

I'm Paranoid Jack and I endorse this ad.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
14. Re: No subject Nov 8, 2006, 10:18 Paranoid Jack

I agree on avoiding the official forums. Unless you're having major issues which I am not. Just minor ones here.

I hate reading even the smallest of spoilers which can be found everywhere when you have thousands of posters hitting the boards.

Over-all its a great game from the party member story and/or plot aspect. And the combat side can be good fun until the bugs or AI issues pop up. Funny how they aren't persistent... just appear now and then. Usually while you are fighting a mob.

Thanks for the camera tip I will try it out as soon as I return from work.

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 10:18.

News Comments > Gothic 3 Euro Patch
9. Re: HUGE Nov 8, 2006, 09:55 Paranoid Jack

This game is definitely a "grower" for me. The more you play it the more you like it.

I agree. And I second what Venomhed stated. I'll also agree that this game would have been so much better with a few months of hard-core polishing (Quality Assurance). The deeper I go the more I like it. And even though I have spent most of my points on Hunting skills I can still handle some of the tougher creatures in melee. Only thing I hate about combat is the constant step forward with every action. Other than that its pretty damned fun.

The over-all game atmosphere is way beyond most cRPGs and I can't remember any action cRPGs being this tension filled. I'm not sure if its a character development thing or play-style but I can actually take on a pack of five or six wolves and have a good chance at survival. I switch to a pole-arm do a spin attack scoring hits on several at once. Then as each wolf moves in closer for his lung I change directions and swing at him. Usually scoring a hit on him plus a couple others in the arc. Attacking targets to your rear is very important. If you don't and only attack your front opponents you will most likely die.

As far as the AI, it is a bit of bitter-sweet. Like with the roaming packs of wolves. They halt and then attack as an aggressive group. But once you score a few hits they hold back surrounding you and taking turns lunging in for a hit. Other times the AI path-finding can cause issues, nothing new here seems 75% of all games have this issue.

But exploring the realistic looking environments just pulls me into the game-world. And being surprised by a boar at night (or other bigger creatures) actually makes you jump.

I picked up NWN2 and it took me three days playing it before I stopped wanting to go back to G3. But now that I have reached NW and am having more annoying party AI issues fighting in tomes and dungeons I am thinking about switching back to G3.

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 10:22.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
5. Is it just me or is... Nov 8, 2006, 01:09 Paranoid Jack

... the party AI all hit and miss? Click a behavior tab for all party members not to pick locks/disable traps auto yet the rogue still does it. Right click to tell all party members to stand their ground then select another character for something and watch the member you just had control over go running at the enemy (though you just told ALL to stand their ground).

That is the most annoying part of the game so far. Telling the party to attack nearest and two of the three just stand there? Not to mention getting stuck on placed objects... so yeah, the path-finding also needs some work.

It can be totally frustrating when these small bugs and the camera all go wacko in the middle of a battle down a tight corridor.

Not that I am not enjoying the game for the most part... it's just that (like Gothic 3) this game should have been held back for another month or two of polishing.

Both are good games but could have been great.

EDIT: As far as Puppet mode goes... same things happen to me when I have puppet mode selected. When you go puppet the AI should be totally off yet when changing from one member to another some of the AI options are still kicking in and causing the previously controlled member to run AI even though the AI should be off.

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 01:35.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Neverwinter Nights 2
78. Re: EB Games...suck Nov 1, 2006, 21:17 Paranoid Jack

Down load it unless you absolutely have to have the crap Limited Edition version or just want to have it on disc.

Oh, try to get the huge 82.7mb patch while you are waiting for the arrival. I went the pre-order route but had it over-nighted and thanks to God they used UPS not Fed-Ex(those asshole won't leave anything without a signature, even after signing the authorization for them to do just that).

Anyway downloading the patch now and read most of the manual off the net last night.... Sad, I know.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Phone Line Sep 3, 2006, 22:06 Paranoid Jack

I hope Blue read my last few posts about this subject... if he has the new demarcation with a test port he can just unplug it there before bed and when the cop shows up at 3:30 am tonight he can take him to the side of the house and show him that his shit is unplugged which isolated his house from the circuit. Meaning the trouble is outside on Verizon's network. And then he can redirect the cop to Verizon's local offices.

Crossed lines can cause many issues from incorrect billing (charges on the wrong account) to an old school party line effect (with two or more groups having two or more conversations at the same time and able to hear and talk to each other).

Never heard of one calling 911 repeatedly. Though it may be an alarm on the circuit doing it. Or the MTU I mentioned before.

I am still baffled that it has taken this long. If Blue has not called to speak with a supervisor he really is shooting himself in the foot here. Though its possible a section of cable is wet and they are fixing it only to get wet again but if the cable is in such a poor condition they should replace the section to end this madness. Damned squirrels are hell on those cables.

Here in Cali if a residential customer requests a new demarcation (with a test port) as long as the previous demarcation is the out-dated type and not just a vandalized one (due to the tenant being a complete idiot) we put one on free of charge. Should be the same everywhere else but who knows?

News Comments > Company of Heroes Demo Next Week
8. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2006, 23:15 Paranoid Jack

Demo was available here ( http://reliccommunity.com/tracker/ ) before the magazine was in most of the subscribers hands.

It's Omaha Beach and Carentan. Pretty fun but it seems not to be as optimised... as I am hoping the final version will be.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 23:22.

News Comments > Jagged Alliance Alliance Dissolved
9. Damn... Sep 1, 2006, 23:11 Paranoid Jack

I was looking forward to this one. But I guess a cancellation is better than a shit product any-day. Did anyone have any hands on time with this (either version)?

News Comments > Dark Messiah Steam & LE Plans
12. No subject #4 Aug 31, 2006, 19:37 Paranoid Jack

The game uses the Source Engine right? ... so it is FREE for them to distribute over Steam. That info was released in an interview or two over the past few months. Unless they (Valve) have some kind of clause to prevent large blood-sucking publishers from getting even richer from their developers.

So I would hope Arkane at the very least gets a larger percentage of the units sold via Steam.

Has anyone played more than the short demo? I was left sitting on the fence since the game didn't thrill me. Just wondering if it gets better than the demo?

News Comments > Into the Black
7. D' oH! Aug 31, 2006, 02:54 Paranoid Jack

If that is all that was causing the trouble why the hell did it take so many techs and visits? If that is our competition I am not worried.

If it was just a wet terminal on the pole the first guy should have found it. I realize the lines dry out on occasion and your meter won't show any trouble but that is rare. If metered properly from both ends they should have seen an unbalance at the very least if not swinging trouble (short, ground, and/or cross battery). Not to mention there are other ways to test for it besides a regular SideKick.

I guess it is the quality of the training and the attitude of the employee that is most likely the cause for this kind of poor service.

Either way glad to hear things are better now.

News Comments > Battlefield 2142 Demo Plans
24. Re: poe2 is more fun Aug 31, 2006, 02:38 Paranoid Jack

"Although I agree with many of the negative comments toward BF2 anything, the fact is, when the shiny new boxes appear on the shelf for 2142 a lot of you naysayers will plunk down the cash and buy it."

"i suspect bf2142 will end up just like battlefield vietnam did in my collection. played for a couple weeks before i went back to a good mod for the mainstay (bf2+poe2 in this case, bf1942+dc back then)

i may pass on 2142 altogether, depending on some more full reviews once it's out."

I say fuck them. I say lets boycott their sorry ass rehash BF version 4.0, I say let anyone who claims they will not buy BF2142 put their name to this list... rise up Blue's Members, UNITE!

News Comments > Battlefield 2142 Demo Plans
3. Re: No subject Aug 30, 2006, 22:14 Paranoid Jack

No wait if I give you money in advance with no way to back out since it is a pre-order with a bonus then I get the demo 24 hours before anybody else? WoW!

But I thought Fileplanet & 3DGamer subscribers have been playing this demo for weeks?

Am I missing something here?

30. Re: No subject Aug 30, 2006, 20:56 Paranoid Jack

"I was looking forward to my first normal morning online in a while today, but no such luck. My connection keeps dropping and my DSL router's ready light keeps blinking. I picked up the phone and heard the familiar siren sound that phone techs use to troubleshoot the line. A look out the window confirmed what the siren already told me, that Verizon is again working on my funky phone lines. So for the record, the only day this week that my service wasn't working, they couldn't make it out here, but these two days that followed the problem clearing up on its own, they have knocked me offline to fix things. On the bright side, I spoke with this latest repair guy, and got a sense he is actually looking to permanently solve my problem, rather than slap on another band-aid. We, as the optimistic expression goes, shall see."

Sounds pretty unprofessional to me. The tech should call you prior to starting work on your line and after to verify he has restored the services. Not to mention when they arrive at the door you should be given a business card so that way when/if the line takes a dump an hour after they "fixed it" you have somebody to call and don't have to start from square one. Plus if you need to escalate the issue to management you have a name to give to the supervisor. Believe it or not the records systems are not always 100% accurate (I know it is hard to believe) so they may not be able to finger the last tech who worked the trouble.

Tell me they at least had id badges on when they arrived? If not that should be a red-flag as to the possible quality of their work. If a tech doesn't do those two things (wear a badge and give you his card) I immediately start to think of them as less than professional. No business card means no call back from the irate customer. That unfortunately is from first hand experience. I wish you luck, Blue.

edit: Not to mention the fact they never kept you informed as to the status of the trouble report. If the line was not fix the previous day why were you not kept informed? Just all around poor service if you ask me...

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 21:03.

24. Re: No subject Aug 30, 2006, 20:29 Paranoid Jack

Yeah, that works on some... or should I say most of the techs but I always check if the subscriber just added the repair plan to their services and/or had a recent visit.

So I trouble shoot it but I won't fix it free of charge if they just jumped on the band-wagon.

News Comments > Into the Black
11. Holy Guacamole Aug 29, 2006, 21:09 Paranoid Jack

Someone called authorities Thursday after seeing a boy carrying something long and wrapped into Marshall Junior High (search).

The drama ended two hours later when the suspicious item was identified as a 30-inch burrito filled with steak, guacamole, lettuce, salsa and jalapenos and wrapped inside tin foil and a white T-shirt.

"I didn't know whether to laugh or cry," school Principal Diana Russell (search) said.

State police, Clovis police and the Curry County (search) Sheriff's Department arrived at the school shortly after 8:30 a.m. They searched the premises and determined there was no immediate danger.

In the meantime, more than 30 parents, alerted by a radio report, descended on the school. Visibly shaken, they gathered around in a semi-circle, straining their necks, awaiting news.

"There needs to be security before the kids walk through the door," said Heather Black, whose son attends the school.

And they wonder why so many Americans are over weight? Freakin 30 inch burrito!

22. Re: No subject Aug 29, 2006, 20:48 Paranoid Jack

Blue, So did the Verizon tech say he found anything? You would think when he tested the line if there was trouble inside he would have said so even if you aren't on their repair plan. As far as the neighbor having no issues it is possible since everyone has their own pair of wires if you're copper fed. Maybe the squirrel only chewed the cable to where your line and a few others are now exposed to the rain.

Not sure how handy you are with wires and meters but if not you... maybe somebody else will benefit from this.

As far as yesterdays comments go if you have the old ceramic protector as a demarcation they should replace it with the new SNI, TNI, or NID. We call it a SNI (standard network interface). And for the last several decades they all come with a test port inside to isolate your inside wires by simply unplugged the line at the demarcation.

So if the terminal in or on the MPOE (minimum point of entry) has nut-heads sticking from a ceramic block and not screw-heads or some other type of connector insulated by plastic you most likely have an outdated demarcation. Call Verizon and ask them to replace it with the type which has a test port. That way next time this happens you can find out if the trouble is outside or inside within minutes. Before you even call them.

Again if you have the newer plastic demarcation with a test port next to a terminal where your inside wires terminate then it may have an MTU (see yesterdays post) behind it or on the Verizon side of the test port. They stopped installing those MTUs in the early '90s but depending on when your house was built or when they upgraded the phone box you may still have one.

If the trouble is inside and you are not on an inside wire repair plan it is fairly easy to isolate the defective wire/jack at the demarcation even without a multimeter. We use SideKicks (http://www.specialized.net/ecommerce/shop/seriesmaster.asp?series_id=SideKick) but all you really need is a simple multimeter to find the short or ground on the line. Or just do a process of elimination at the terminal inside the demarcation.

If you plug a working regular (not cordless or requiring power) telephone into the test port outside and the line is dead that tells you the trouble is either the phone and/or cord in your hand or the trouble is on the phone companies side of the demarcation and should cost you nothing for a dispatch to repair it.

Hope this helps you or somebody else since rainy season is coming no matter where you live. And if you have any other questions send me an e-mail I'll be glad to help even if I am three thousand miles away.

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 21:31.

40. Re: Go with CAT6 if you can. Aug 28, 2006, 21:28 Paranoid Jack

LoL, I have had a couple beers and got the typing form or diarrhea mouth. Spouting all kinds of info that may not mean anything to him.

38. Go with CAT6 if you can. Aug 28, 2006, 21:02 Paranoid Jack

Go CAT6 the cost is not much more and the signal will be better. Or if you don't go CAT6 put in smurf tubing everywhere. That way when or if your neighborhood goes fiber (or who knows what in the future) you can replace it with whatever is needed if the CAT5/coax doesn't support the services you want.

Running the bundled stuff which has two coax and two CAT6s lines plus a shielded power wire may be a good idea if you don't go with the smurf tubing.

I put smurf tube everywhere and put cable/phone outlets every place I could ever want or need to have one. Back patio and garage(x2) both set up for phone and cable.

Use home-runs to every location no daisy chains if you can avoid it. Basically that means a dedicated line to every location with at least a four pair CAT5/6 and cable.

For fiber to the prem you'll need a shielded power line to run from your junction box where the outlet feed is (usually in the master bedroom walk-in closet) to the demarcation (or MPOE) outside because the ONT (optical network terminal) mount inside the demarcation requires power. Also get the biggest phone box you can find to use for your MPOE those new fiber fed units need a lot of space. Here is a link to the FTTP demarcation housing boxes they use here in central Cali.

( http://bnproducts.com/bn-products/terminal.php )

Also you may want to run two four pair CAT5/6. Most phone companies are going fiber and will provide you DSL and HD programing over either CAT5/6 or coax. So if you have two you have room to grow. One four pair could be used as Ethernet while the other carries phone and/or video services. Or one six pair may be sufficient depending on your needs.

Things are changing so I feel smurf tubing with a minimum of one inch inside diameter is the best choice. Makes it easy to change out your inside wiring if you can get attic access. So keep that in mind if you are running the tubing. Put the ends into your junction box or to an area of the attic that will be accessible after the house is complete.

So my opinion/choice is to run four feeders from the outside demarcation to the junction box in the master bedroom walk-in closet (if this is your preferred set-up, that is the preferred method here for FTTP) and from there run two home-runs to each room or jack location (at a minimum).

Also if you have even the slightest possibility you are going to have a home security system installed have it pre-wired. Only cost me $250 by a local alarm company. Remember to keep good notes on locations of hidden wire runs. I think that covers it... not 100% positive though.

Blue, go outside and open you demarcation box. Look for a small circuit board behind the terminal. It's called an MTU (maintenance test unit). It's outdated but a lot of lazy phone techs don't remove them as they should. The old switching system in your local central office would run the automated circuit test (randomly or employee originated) and the chip-set on the MTU would give the telephone provider an idea if the defect on your line was internal (on your inside wires) or external (their network). They go bad and have been know to call out. 911 411 etc.

Funny shit when a cop or sheriff keeps showing up to a house with no working phone service other than a quick-dial tone (used by people moving in to call for service activation, also know as a ghetto line by those working the system and using calling cards). I also remember when one went bad and started calling 411. The subscriber was looking at thousands of dollars in information calls.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 21:07.

News Comments > Saturday Screenshots
2. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R Aug 26, 2006, 22:02 Paranoid Jack

Yeah, most definitely less impressive but still not bad. Just seems some of the shots look far better than others... as if some of the textures are less detailed or done with less concern for detail.

I wouldn't touch this game now unless I was extremely bored and had no other games of interest to play at that point in time. Which isn't very likely since I just spend six months going back through a lot of old titles I never finished.

I may change my mind if a proper demo is released but the entire time I am playing the demo I will have the memory of other recently released games that I bought (after playing a demo) that were nothing like their demos made them appear to be. In most cases the retail products were far less polished.

Either way I am curious as to how the final product will compare to the original design doc and all those promised features that met with the executioners axe.

At this point in time there are only have a dozen games that hold any interest for me. At the moment...

1) Age of Decadence (hoping Iron Tower will finish before G3 is released)
2) Gothic 3 (Please let this have ten times more depth than Oblivion)
3) Lord of The Rings Online (still waiting on my beta invite)
4) Company of Heroes (will scratch the RTS itch nicely I think)
5) Project T-BAR 3/4 (Tim Cain's indie studio Steam TB project in development)
6) Bioshock (where are the damned videos from E3 & Leipzig, I want to see this game in action very badly)

The full list is a bit longer than I thought it would be... these are the others I am fairly interested in but not sure if they will hold my attention until they are finally released or for long after purchasing the retail product.

7) NWN2
8) Fallout 3 (hoping they make this at the very least three times better than Oblivion as far as characters and role-playing are concerned but I am not optimistic)
9) Spore
10) The Witcher (Damn will they ever finish this thing?)
11) Mass Effect
12) Dragon Age
13) UFO Afterlight

Probably a few others I saw little info or media on that I can't remember at the moment.

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 22:13.

1719 Comments. 86 pages. Viewing page 45.
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo