Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paranoid Jack

Real Name Paranoid Jack   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Paranoid Jack
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.speedmatters.org/cwatest
Signed On Nov 5, 2001, 00:47
Total Comments 1745 (Pro)
User ID 11537

User comment history
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

News Comments > European WAR Beta Signups Resume Today
18. Patience People Patience Sep 8, 2008, 22:55 Paranoid Jack

I waited almost a year before getting into the beta. I know waiting sucks. Makes it worse when the company providing the servers in Europe bit off way more than they can chew. Just focus on something else pick up Spore. That will get you through at least a couple hours, maybe days...

Funny. Fion, you hate WAR when it's RvR is far better than AoC which you claim to love and advise people to be patient they are fixing it? I know after playing AoC regular button mashing combat isn't preferable but yet I can't help feel that you're exaggerating.

Had you already made up your mind about the game? It takes at least a few hours to level to a point where you won't be one shot killed on the RvR battlefields. So I assume you never even made it to that point? Must have just played a RvR instance and the nearest PQ? I don't know of any PQs that only take two minutes to play through. Which one was that?

If you don't like the way this one plays I have to assume you're burnt out on the standard MMO. Because your passing judgement on a game with only a few hours of play sounds like the so called professional reviewers who only play a few hours and then write a shitty review. Either way... to each his own.

"I have to say it is indeed the buggest open beta I have ever played. It makes AoC's open beta looks flawless. This game is going to be a disaster at release."

Can you give a little detail? Because you are either having server issues, system issues, or you're playing a different game than I've been testing for the last month or more. But again different strokes.

edit: I beta tested AoC also and this has far more polish than it. Not that AoC was bad either. I guess I've been testing games long enough to know that testing is testing. Not the final product. Plus they do a lot of server testing along with play testing which helps them to prepare for the launch. Also if you've played many you should know MMOs are never completely finished. I'm just saying there seems to be a lot of snap judgements and tempers flaring...

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 23:04.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Warhammer Online Beta Opens
64. No Credit Card? I'm Impressed! Sep 8, 2008, 21:18 Paranoid Jack

Ant, I forgot about that. If you have no credit card you are stuck purchasing at the very least a game-card for a month to get the subscription going? Or do they not require credit cards anymore?

I thought they had moved away from the credit card is necessary business model. But maybe I'm thinking of that browser based MMO I tried recently...

Either way. If you wait and there's not a constantly growing subscriber base they will eventually give out seven or ten day trails. Which isn't enough time to try everything but enough time to decide if you like the game enough to buy a copy and a game-card.

I've logged dozens of hours already. Lost track. So I know I like it enough to at least buy it and most likely play it for three months or so.

Takes a lot longer to level. Unlike AoC where you can level three times within a few hours if you know how to work it.

I made it to level 21 or 22 before a wipe a month or so back. I'd guess it took me about two weeks but I wasn't taking days off work and only stayed up late a few nights. Not to mention the servers were constantly going up and down while they worked on them.

Damn, I'm envious! Wish I could say I had no credit cards or at least the debt that usually goes with them. Never thought about the subscription issues that it would cause though.

One good thing for us Closed Beta testers... bad thing for the general public. If they went totally Open Beta it would be pandemonium. It's bad enough now with more than a hundred thousand people trying to get their game on.

I sure hope they learn from it. Blizzard didn't. It was hell the first two months or more after release. This time I am going to pick the worst name server and hope it fills up last or never...

News Comments > Warhammer Online Beta Opens
56. Great Even Though They Are Hammered Sep 8, 2008, 02:43 Paranoid Jack

If you want to avoid the hassle just wait a month. No more issues with everyone trying to get in at the same time. And those with very short attention spans will have gone back to whatever they prefer.

I've tested 2/3 of the classes to at least level six and yes they all play fairly different. I'm enjoying it even though this Semi Open Beta is stressing the servers to the max. I've had ten times more CTD and server connection issues than the Closed Beta.

And if you're waiting for a highly anticipated MMO to have a smooth launch you'll be waiting a long long time. This game is great. I expect the first month or two to be a very bumpy start. Servers are not cheap they won't buy more than they think they'll need so the guess work is going to cause us all head-aches come launch.

News Comments > How Publishers Punish Game Sites
25. Fixed Sep 7, 2008, 02:40 Paranoid Jack

game journalism = Fox Any News Media

Don't trust either of them. They're biased, owned by the people they're talking about, and full of lies to brainwash you

Fixed it.

As if the other networks aren't pushing their agendas? Every source of media that relies on ad dollars and/or is owned by the filthy rich will always be used to spread propaganda for one reason or another. Either to make more money or to help get their candidate in office... to help them make more money.

The whole system is corrupt. Just like Govt. Just like Corp America. Just like Religion.

Anything... any business that can control any aspect which will impact their bottom line (profits) will do just that. No matter what. Damn the possible negative ethical and morale implications.

It's called Capitalism. The worlds biggest religion.

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 02:42.

News Comments > On the Versatile Spore Engine
10. Hesitant to Buy Sep 7, 2008, 00:41 Paranoid Jack

I'm kind of let down. No, not kind of. I'm really fucking let down. I was called about the pre-order and after reading the comments and reviews this sounds like what happened to me with the Sims.

I bought into the hype played it for several hours but the bottom line was that even the cool possibilities couldn't save the boring ass game-play.

I ended up installing a money cheat and building or designing huge houses... forget the micro managing the little people. Now that I think about it Black & White was the same thing. After hearing those little ungrateful villagers crying for more more more...

So now I doubt I'll be picking up my copy tomorrow. And with the WAR Preview Weekend event being more hassle than anything else... well, I need to kill something in cyberspace or I won't sleep well tonight.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. %) Sep 6, 2008, 22:27 Paranoid Jack

Made in China use to mean cheap... now it means cheap junk, with lead based paint, and poison added as filler.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Genetics Play A Major Roll Sep 6, 2008, 17:10 Paranoid Jack

I have great genetics... when it comes to teeth anyway.

My wife is always hoping I'll come out of the dentist office saying that I have a cavity... but I never do. Besides my wisdom teeth being removed in my mid to late teens I can't remember any other troubles since I was about eight years old.

I only brush once a day. Only floss occasionally. And my teeth are clean enough/white enough (besides the dead one, skateboarding accident as a kid) that I don't use any whitener other than special toothpaste.

Wish I was as lucky with my spine.

Hope you get that thing sorted out Blue.

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 17:11.

News Comments > Warhammer Online Beta Keys
18. Re: No subject Sep 6, 2008, 01:44 Paranoid Jack

The 2nd Preview Weekend is in full swing. NA and Oceanic Servers are up but slammed with all the new testers.

Not so much fun at the moment compared to the great times had in Closed Beta.

Sunday will be the start of Open Beta but for tonight and tomorrow its a mad-house.

8. No Pre-Order In The UK? Sep 5, 2008, 03:18 Paranoid Jack

Best way to get into the Open Beta and Early Access is to get a pre-order from a local store. I went GameStop and picked mine up. I actually have two since I put money down on a CE but the clerk ordered the regular version.

So he gave me a CE code card and later I got the regular code card when I went in to talk to them about the order being wrong.

If you can get a pre-order that gives you access to beta and even if you decide not to purchase at most you're only out $5 - $10 at most. But in most cases you just move your pre-order money onto the next title you want to order.

One of the best things about GameStop, not sure the policy is the same for Internet pre-orders though.

Either way good luck. Don't give up just be patient.

As far as the combat goes it's typical MMO style combat... not as action and location oriented as AoC but still as good as or better than WoW in my opinion. Fun as hell RvR.

News Comments > X-COM Series on Steam
56. Should Have Know Sep 4, 2008, 23:17 Paranoid Jack

I saw this on Steam and bought it within a minute.

Should have know a huge thread would be growing here on Blue's about the X-Com series selling at a steal of a price.

Thank you Steam. Never thought I'd be saying that...

4. Re: No subject Sep 4, 2008, 23:07 Paranoid Jack

Batman, it's a great game and different enough from the others to warrant a closer look.

Just a few of the reasons I like the game.

RvR has three or four different ways that you can partake in the festivities from the very earliest stage of the game. Since both opposing races in each of the three areas are literally side by side. You can attack a PvP flagged player from an opposing race just minutes after your starting spawn.

You have the RvR instances with differing objectives which can be joined simply by clicking the blinking white and red WAR symbol up top. You get teleported into the instance battle it out, are awarded XP, and Renown which both raise your level. Then when it's done you teleport back to where you stood when you joined.

Then you have the RvR battlefields which are shown as red areas on the map. They have quests or scenarios that your realm has to complete while being attacked by the opposition. Plus other simpler objectives like capture the flag.

There are also random events that are triggered which I've only seen one that I know of. Basically Greenskins began swarming the Dwarf starter area. They had to be fought off and then we pushed into their area. Wish I had seen more... maybe somebody else has and can fill in more on that aspect.

Then you have Public Quests which are scattered all over the zones. Some easy to find others a bit hard to locate. Most well worth the time to play through. You can go into them solo or as part of team either way you gain XP and Renown for your contributions. If you are one of the top contributors you gain an extra bonus in the roll which ends the PQs and have a choice of loot if you place.

It's not perfect but close enough for me. I experienced very few bugs and only a few crashes which mostly occurred during booting of the game.

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky Q&A
9. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2008, 21:40 Paranoid Jack

Have you ever shot a real AK? They jump like crazy. Just watch any of the videos on the net of the freedom fighters in Iraq.

The first shot and maybe the second in a burst should be near your aimed target but there is more skill to it than a game can convey.

If you're on full auto you are basically in spray and pray mode? Without sufficient training to control the area of spread.

If you were complaining about the damage model I would probably jump on the band-wagon since I think the damage was a bit weak especially with the higher caliber weapons. Anyone hit by a .50 caliber Dragunov ( http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn18-e.htm ) should be dead if not down to be dead shortly after being hit. Head shots unless a grazing blow would rarely leave the target alive let alone able to continue fighting back. Unlike the game.

I'm all for realism in games but it's my opinion they did a great job with Stalker as far as the weapons ballistics go. Wish the sounds were a bit more meatier but still they were good enough.

Still one of the best shooters I've played. Looking forward to this one buggy or not... I am down.

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky Patch
9. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2008, 15:31 Paranoid Jack

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/942067.asp

Is the UK a month in the future now? When I lived there it was more like living in the past but I grew to love it.

Most of those review links say 10/1/2008.

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 15:33.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Interview
3. Re: Unavoidable combat Sep 3, 2008, 15:25 Paranoid Jack

I'm pretty sure the other talking head (PR guy who I can't remember at this moment) stated early on in the PR blitz that avoiding combat was not an option.

I'll admit the last group of videos actually gave me a slight rise in interest from none to just curiosity. That's were I sit now just kind of curious to see how good or bad the game will actually turn out.

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky Q&A
4. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2008, 14:42 Paranoid Jack

Why would you want more accurate weapons? As long as you use cover and move around the close combat, hell even mid-ranged combat was a breeze. Only using the sniper rifles with the range finders was a bit tricky at times.

I thoroughly enjoyed the early stages of the game. The difficulty of taking out half a dozen targets with that crappy little pistol. Even after picking up a sawed-off shotgun it was still a nice challenge. Then you get your first silenced pistol and it becomes a hardcore stealthy shooter, if you want it to be.

Once you got the better weapons it was far too easy. The Gause (or whatever it was called) gun that shot railroad spikes was pretty much an instant kill weapon. Good thing they saved it until late in the game and gave limited ammo.

Even the special weapons like the faster firing AKs made the game a bit too easy. At least for me...

As far as Clear Sky goes I am a bit worried now myself. Because they made a lot of improvements to the inventory and bartering system. How could this one not be as good? I better dig up those reviews.

Edit: About the Stalker mods... I tried a couple mods early on that stopped the weapons/armor from degrading and that was kind of nice. But I never reinstalled them after I built my new system and reinstalled the game. I must have played the first half of the game at least a half dozen times before making it near the end-game. And I hear there are three separate endings?

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 14:47.

News Comments > Battlefield Heroes Video
3. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2008, 14:22 Paranoid Jack

That's the whole feeling I got from watching the video. Looks like DICE trying to make a game with the same feel as TF2 but not quite getting there.

Since it's FREE I'll play it for at least an hour or two and see how it plays but I was not impressed by what I saw. Also what's the whole business model behind this one? They giving it away because it wouldn't sell or they giving you the basic game trying to sell you unlocks?

News Comments > Diablo III Video Interview
12. Re: Graphics FTW! Sep 2, 2008, 14:51 Paranoid Jack

I remember the graphics for both Diablo games as being slightly behind the times. At most barely on par with the norm at the time of release. Many complained that D2 should have been fully 3D... hence the update that came out to add a more 3D look to the game-world.

I actually hate to see how graphics have become the water-mark by which all games are judged before the game-play is even taken into account. Graphics are important but not that important.

Seems so many of today's gamers will avoid the best game created due to it's graphics being slightly less than the norm or old-school.

To me the game-play is king. Graphics are great when they add to the game-play but if they don't it doesn't ruin a game as long as it has well rounded game-play.

Take WoW for instance. I didn't care for the graphics at release but the game was fun so I stuck with it. I would have preferred it if they had stuck to the original darker gritty look from the preview videos release back in 2000 and 2001, before they went for that Saturday morning cartoon look.

Either way their graphics were good (some say great) but it was the game-play that keeps people playing and paying even today.

News Comments > Diablo III Video Interview
9. Graphics FTW! Sep 2, 2008, 14:17 Paranoid Jack

Yeah, because we all know that graphics are the most important aspect when it comes to a game's success by far over-shadowing the actual game-play.

News Comments > WAR Early Access Detailed
23. Explain, please? Sep 2, 2008, 12:44 Paranoid Jack

"Its PvE is barely functional. It's a PvP-centric game. I think you'll be disappointed. Hell, I was LOOKING for a PvP-centric game and was disappointed."

Barely functional? What game did you play... or are you going by somebody else's opinion? WAR has plenty of PVE quests and exploration. Not to mention the tons of things to do listed inside the Tome. It may not have WoW PVE content but WoW has been out for four years. Besides WoW was 80% or more PVE when I was playing years ago. WAR is more like 60-40 from what I've seen.

And if you were looking for a PvP centric game why were you disappointed? WAR has some of the best PvP content to date in my opinion.

Is it a matter of taste? Would you mind... give some detail why you felt the way you did?

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 13:32.

News Comments > WAR Early Access Detailed
12. World of Starcraft? Sep 1, 2008, 20:32 Paranoid Jack

Not sure how well that would work. I know the Koreans would simply love it but Starcraft wasn't that great for me. I like the old Warcraft games much better.

Either way I am anxious to see what their next MMO project is. Since rumor has it it's been in the works for quite some time now.

I'll most likely get WotLK but not sure if it will be at launch or months later. Still looking forward to it even though I'll most likely get bored with WoW again within a month or two.

As far as WAR goes I am still going through with-drawls. I am excited and can't wait for release day.

1745 Comments. 88 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo