Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paranoid Jack

Real Name Paranoid Jack   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Paranoid Jack
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.speedmatters.org/cwatest
Signed On Nov 5, 2001, 00:47
Total Comments 1745 (Pro)
User ID 11537

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Mythic's EA Comments Follow-up
8. You didn't read the media releases... Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Paranoid Jack

John, it's only been put out to the media repeatedly over the past two months. Pre-Order either version get into the Beta/Early Access. Servers go live on Thursday but the game will be on sale a day before. Been done before. Nothing new. Is it a bit of a let down? Sure, if you didn't prepare or couldn't get a pre-order... but in no way was anyone mislead.

Also the pre-order cards handed out at most retailers and e-mailed from Internet stores were a limited supply. Again, if you were at all interested you most likely read it but didn't act.

Not a problem... the game will still be there for you tomorrow mourning.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 23:46.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: You didn't read the media releases... Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Paranoid Jack

John, please, read the media release(s) again. 12:01 AM is not the official launch time... and the standard edition pre-order also gave you early access. I guess you weren't paying as much attention as you thought.

Like I said this has been done before. Release the game a day early so the masses can pick up a copy (or have the over-night shipped to them), install two DVDs of gaming goodness, and then update their client to be ready for the mourning of the official launch.

I just don't understand all the angst when the info has been out there for weeks if not months. Either way I hope you have fun.

News Comments > Age of Conan Director Leaves
25. Sorry I misspoke, Tumbler Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Paranoid Jack

I should have said days not hours. Not sure what I was thinking. I'll blame it on this damned head-cold. Either way I apologize. It's more like two or three days to level out of Tortage depending on several things. Like character type, server type, your knowledge of objectives, and your willingness to click through dialog (bad thing IMO). Again, this is not the preferred method of playing AoC since it has a lot to offer story wise. But if you are tired of Tortage skip the content and go straight for the quest objectives.

Also the only way you're going to be able to run through Tortage is to be on a PvE server... maybe by grouping on PvP through out the Day missions. On PvP you're slowed by the other players. Not that I minded. I loved it.

One thing that occurred to me and maybe Fion (or another current player) can tell us. Since most of my time playing AoC was in beta... have they changed the leveling and/or questing XP since going retail? Not sure I noticed it but then I wasn't rushing to get out of Tortage and I was focusing on two characters not a new one every week. In beta I know I regular ran through Tortage in a couple days. They were wiping characters once a week it seemed like.

I can't go into any greater detail than this... focus on missions. Grinding is the slowest way to level in AoC. Do a few low level day missions in and around the city but more so use the Night missions until you run into a level requirement. At that point jump back into the Day missions and group if possible. Avoid combat if possible (depends on your character). Once you get to fifteen I think one of the requirements was switch back to Night.

I think the key to it is knowing the area, the objectives, and the content well enough that it allows you to skip the voice acting. Not sure why you would want to since that is one of the best things about Tortage. It has the single-player cRPG feel in a MMO. Anyway, I was just trying to recover ground lost during the character wipe.

You probably already know this. The last mission on the harbor before you leave Tortage is a bit tricky but try to avoid the groups running crazy and go toward the dock as soon as an opening appears. I think it's the Captain you kill to trigger the next part. So many people would try to kill everyone in the harbor. You can't. They constantly respawn.

Hope this helps... if you've made it out at level 18 you're doing well on those last missions. I think I was 19 minimum when exiting Tortage.

12. D'oh! Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Paranoid Jack

Ok, that is it. I'm done. Twice now in the past day I have stuck my foot in my mouth. I could have sworn it was a 10 AM Live Launch. I won't bother looking for it. I'll just admit you're right and go back to playing the game.

Are you happy now? I'm having a hell of a time deciding which character I want to be my main. Having too much fun playing the different classes/races. I have yet to try a Shaman for more than six or seven levels. The healers play differently depending on race. One requires you to be involved in melee (Warrior Priest), another (Archmage I think it is) requires little to no melee, and the Rune Priest seems to be a middle ground. He mainly uses spells at a distance, heal from a distance, and lite melee.

I'm still having a blast ... this is the best head-cold (that's moved into my chest) I've ever had. It took me out of work finally yesterday and I don't plan on going back until Monday.

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 11:50.

News Comments > The Witcher Enhanced Edition Patch Friday
10. Re: ??? Sep 17, 2008, 20:06 Paranoid Jack

InBlack, you probably already know this but just in case... the combat changes with your difficulty setting. Go for the most difficult will make the game more of a challenge. And I think the EE patch will also enhance the combat if I remember correctly. So anyway, give it another try. I was at first put off by the feeling of losing control of Geralt when the scripted combat kicked in but I quickly adapted to the point where I enjoyed it.

I also agree this is one of the best cRPGs ever created.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
11. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2008, 19:57 Paranoid Jack

I'm also buying an Enhanced version but it will be the Import again because I too love the titular!

No, really. I agree these guys have a fantastic work ethic. Almost unheard of in today's industry. I'm rewarding them a third time since I bought two copies and a video card that came with an OEM.

I had little to no problems playing through the game last year. And only held off on a complete second run through because they announced the EE. Now, I am excited to be able to play it through with Polish voice acting, full content/added content, and English subtitles (with less butchered translations).

Going to be sweet.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 13:59.

18. Re: History repeats itself... Sep 17, 2008, 19:33 Paranoid Jack

True, I believe they did what so many other developers have done... push out a MMO in the hopes that they can finish the content after release. The content that they didn't have enough time to get to. The features they didn't finish implementing.

It doesn't really matter who made the call (developer or financier) to go retail too soon... before polishing or finishing all the content. But you can understand their train of thought. They get it onto store shelves they get paying customers who help finance the continued work of the title. It's become one of the corner-stones of MMO design.

edit: I was just thinking... some developers/financiers believe that business model is the foundation (not the corner-stone) to any MMO design. I've test several games that should never have gone retail at their beta state. And a few others that never made it to retail. Somebody got smart and pulled the plug before wasting anymore of the investor's money.

That said I think AoC will be around for a long time. And will mature nicely over the next year. Bad news is there are a dozen other companies trying to hit the mother load. They all want to be the next WoW and get their license to print money. Also we as PC Gamers are far less forgiving than the console crowd.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 13:48.

15. History repeats itself... Sep 17, 2008, 19:02 Paranoid Jack

... and that is not always a bad thing!

Can you honestly say Gaute was/is a horrid designer/product manager? He made a huge amount of great design decision's. There is a lot of great content in AoC. It's just sad most people have ADD and won't take the minute it requires to actually read the fucking quest before clicking Accept or Decline. I bet most only glance at the reward/loot and click, click, click away. Which is fine as long as you're not one of the people crying the game is boring or lacks content. Not that it doesn't need more content in the top half.

AoC has by far the best combat of any MMO. I think most people will agree with that. It has the best quest story-telling... even above LotR in my opinion. But then most MMO stick to the short blurb of info to give you a quest to keep you and your short attention span moving right along. And I'm guilty of it at times myself but I won't be crying about a game being boring when I'm not taking the time to actually read the content provided.

The only reason I canceled my account was to play the WAR beta. Other wise I'd still be playing it now. It's an over-all good game. Just the high end content and PvP/RvR needs to be fleshed out or filled in.

I will definitely return to it. WoW and LotR? Probably not since WAR is the new MMO crack. Of those two LotR is more likely to get me back with their add-on. Anyway, I loved AoC and played numerous characters (too many to remember) out of Tortage and several up into the low forties during beta and retail. I'll return to the game sometime in the next six months depending on the updates.

Either way I've no regrets buying it. It's a good game and well worth your time for at a minimum two months of play. Oh, and by the way (think I mentioned this before) Tortage only takes three to six hours unless you spend a shit-load of time exploring and/or dying.

Whatever you do don't click through the quests. Each character has a different angle on the situation unfolding within the city.

After you know the locations it takes about two or three hours to level most characters. And although I never got bored of it my friend only made it out of Tortage once and then canceled because he didn't want to level another character out of the city. He's the click through a quest without reading it type though... and that says it all.

edit: Just noticed his typo in the title... repreats... too funny.
This comment was edited on Sep 17, 13:34.

News Comments > WoW 3.0 on the PTR
18. Sorry Q Sep 16, 2008, 02:48 Paranoid Jack

He used it and has it downloading now. Actually I wish I would have e-bayed it but I've never been an opportunistic.

Either way good luck finding another key. Or just pre-order the game. It's due out in November and they just got the SKUs at the local game stores.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
9. Today is Release Day? Sep 16, 2008, 02:41 Paranoid Jack

I bought it last week at my local GameStop and have yet to break the wrapper open because I'm so hooked on WAR. I too didn't have as bad an experience with SoC as others here but would also point out some people have a lot lower tolerance for what they perceive to be major problems.

Hoping when I get around to it that it's as good as the original if not better.

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 02:45.

11. Re: Are the beta invites linked? Sep 14, 2008, 19:15 Paranoid Jack

Alright Q, if my daughter's boyfriend can't use it it is yours. He has a MAC and I'm not sure if it's both PC & MAC. Told him to let me know as soon as he can.

Haven't been that interest to tell you the truth. Let you know soon enough...

Edit: Fion I'm dying to know how far into the game you went before making your decision? How many characters did you play and to what level? If you never made it to your first Keep battle then you missed out...

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 19:34.

6. Are the beta invites linked? Sep 14, 2008, 13:32 Paranoid Jack

I got an invite I won't be using since WAR is open for Early Access. And boy, oh boy, are those servers getting hammered. No pun intended. They better bring another dozen on-line soon.

They already have more than a dozen and then queues are retarded long to get into the game. Just like WoW when it went live some three or four years back.

Anyway, if my daughters boyfriend can't or doesn't want to use it I may be able to give it to somebody on here. That is my question though is it linked to my original account or just my e-mail?

If it's just e-mail I can forward the taker any e-mails until they get the e-mail account changed. Let me know if anyone wants to try this...

Edit: You must have an active WoW account with the BC expansion. Must have been active Aug 22nd I think it was. I don't have an active account so I'm not sure why they sent me on invite.
This comment was edited on Sep 14, 13:35.

News Comments > Steam Deals
10. Polish with English Subtitles? Sep 12, 2008, 23:48 Paranoid Jack

I can't wait to replay it with the added content, the restored cut dialog, and the extra polish. Plus playing it with Polish voice acting and English subtitles should be great. I hope it's possible. I read it was.

Edit: The Witcher that is.
This comment was edited on Sep 12, 23:50.

News Comments > Cyclopean; A Lovecraft RPG
11. No Doubt Sep 12, 2008, 23:41 Paranoid Jack

I'm not going to start hoping and waiting on another indie until after I play AoD at least three or four times through with different character builds.

But yeah... I hope they fill the team out sooner rather than later. Still look how long AoD has been in development. One comes to expect long development cycles for indie games.

News Comments > Warhammer Online Interview
9. Things that make you go... Huh? Sep 12, 2008, 23:28 Paranoid Jack

It seems some of us aren't playing the same game at times.

I have heard these type of comments on here repeatedly over the years. As far as MMOs it was the same for WoW, EQ2, AoC, and now WAR. You get peeps on here talking hella smack but if you're in the game you know and can pick out the bullshitters and the fanbois talking down the latest game that isn't their fav. The one they can't get into or the one their system won't run because it's outdated.

It's a strange occurrence that happens for other genres also. And maybe it's not just sour-grapes but most of the time it sure seems that way.

I'll admit since they went semi Open Beta the servers are slammed and I've crashed far more... or been dropped by the server. But this is a "beta test" period. They are still preparing no matter what you may think. And although my memory isn't the best I would say this beta is as good as the best I've been involved in. Better than most.

So if you are thin skinned and can't put up with a bumpy start hold off a month or three. Either way I think most people with an open mind are going to enjoy this game. I know I am.

edit: Also most people don't play a game just to get the best gear or think they have the best gear. They play because it's entertaining. I guess those types who want to be better than the Joneses are the same in game?
This comment was edited on Sep 12, 23:36.

News Comments > Cyclopean; A Lovecraft RPG
9. AoD Sep 12, 2008, 22:30 Paranoid Jack

Age of Decadence has been my "most anticipated game" for three years running now. I hope to hell they get this thing finished before I die. ;p

But don't rush it guys. All the hard work is paying off and then some. Too bad more studios don't have this level of communication and interaction with their fan-base.

Iron Tower Studios is another studio that just gets it. Like the rest of us in the service industry who already know... you work for the customer. If they aren't happy with what you have to offer you don't have shit to sell them.

One of the main reasons I avoid certain games and certain studios now. The elitist attitudes or the "we know better"... "we're developers" bullshit doesn't work most of the time. Least not with/for me. Not that they can't sell a ton of BS to the masses. And I'm not saying games should be developed via committee. I just think developers are too closed minded to community feed-back in most cases.

I'm hoping with the almost certain future success of Age of Decadence that Iron Tower will be able to expand and start producing more old school games for those of us who still enjoy games with more than just the graphix.

Keep fighting the good fight fellas....

News Comments > The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Next Week
30. Soft Pron FTW! Sep 12, 2008, 21:54 Paranoid Jack

I love The Witcher but then I bought the UK version.

I've got a NA EE on Pre-Order at GameStop because these guys deserve the money. And if they have the balls to create another game like The Witcher then I will support them and then some. Not just because it's a good game. They've create what so many NA politically correct studios were far too afraid to even try.... a game with adult content. Not that the teens won't like it.

I hope Dragon Age is even half as adult oriented as The Witcher.

And yes, the EE swag looks good.

News Comments > WoW Character Transfers Expand
5. I used it once... Sep 11, 2008, 22:30 Paranoid Jack

Long long time ago. I transferred a character to a Buddie's server because his friend was a Guild Leader. What a mistake.

Not sure what they are charging... think it was $15 back then... but can't remember and don't really care. I figured they should have opened up transfers to and from any server that isn't already at max capacity back then. But they were happy just to be raking in the millions in subscription fees back then. Now they want to rake in millions in transfer fees also.

Still player's deserve to have that choice and I applaud them for finally allowing it to the extent they have finally reached.

Looks as if I may be checking out the WotLK beta tomorrow or later this weekend. Funny that I just got an invite when I'm not a current subscriber. Oh, not to mention I told them I was a WAR Closed Beta tester. Now I got to wonder if that has anything to do with me being picked.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 22:32.

News Comments > Warhammer Online Delayed by WoW
9. Funny Shit! Sep 11, 2008, 21:25 Paranoid Jack

I just got my WotLK Beta invite and I'm not even a current subscriber. I'm a WAR beta tester and I put that on the app. I wonder if that is why they are inviting me? Trying to sway me back to WoW since WAR is releasing next week...

EDIT: New Update Today! Check it out!

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 21:35.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Censored for AU, and Everywhere Else Too
39. Huh? Sep 9, 2008, 22:55 Paranoid Jack

I'm appalled that Bethesda was so stupid as to use real world drug names... not thinking that this would actually happen? It's the same reason they made up names for their other games. My guess is they were hoping for this very thing to happen to generate huge amounts of free press and to help get the attention of the world's game playing youth.

Or it may just show that they don't know enough or care enough about the previous games to stick with the existing Fallout canon.

I'm betting this was a staged fiasco....
This comment was edited on Sep 9, 23:05.

1745 Comments. 88 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo