Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paranoid Jack

Real Name Paranoid Jack   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Paranoid Jack
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.speedmatters.org/cwatest
Signed On Nov 5, 2001, 00:47
Total Comments 1695 (Pro)
User ID 11537

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Warhammer Online Beta Keys
4. Re: No subject Sep 4, 2008, 23:07 Paranoid Jack

Batman, it's a great game and different enough from the others to warrant a closer look.

Just a few of the reasons I like the game.

RvR has three or four different ways that you can partake in the festivities from the very earliest stage of the game. Since both opposing races in each of the three areas are literally side by side. You can attack a PvP flagged player from an opposing race just minutes after your starting spawn.

You have the RvR instances with differing objectives which can be joined simply by clicking the blinking white and red WAR symbol up top. You get teleported into the instance battle it out, are awarded XP, and Renown which both raise your level. Then when it's done you teleport back to where you stood when you joined.

Then you have the RvR battlefields which are shown as red areas on the map. They have quests or scenarios that your realm has to complete while being attacked by the opposition. Plus other simpler objectives like capture the flag.

There are also random events that are triggered which I've only seen one that I know of. Basically Greenskins began swarming the Dwarf starter area. They had to be fought off and then we pushed into their area. Wish I had seen more... maybe somebody else has and can fill in more on that aspect.

Then you have Public Quests which are scattered all over the zones. Some easy to find others a bit hard to locate. Most well worth the time to play through. You can go into them solo or as part of team either way you gain XP and Renown for your contributions. If you are one of the top contributors you gain an extra bonus in the roll which ends the PQs and have a choice of loot if you place.

It's not perfect but close enough for me. I experienced very few bugs and only a few crashes which mostly occurred during booting of the game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky Q&A
9. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2008, 21:40 Paranoid Jack

Have you ever shot a real AK? They jump like crazy. Just watch any of the videos on the net of the freedom fighters in Iraq.

The first shot and maybe the second in a burst should be near your aimed target but there is more skill to it than a game can convey.

If you're on full auto you are basically in spray and pray mode? Without sufficient training to control the area of spread.

If you were complaining about the damage model I would probably jump on the band-wagon since I think the damage was a bit weak especially with the higher caliber weapons. Anyone hit by a .50 caliber Dragunov ( http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn18-e.htm ) should be dead if not down to be dead shortly after being hit. Head shots unless a grazing blow would rarely leave the target alive let alone able to continue fighting back. Unlike the game.

I'm all for realism in games but it's my opinion they did a great job with Stalker as far as the weapons ballistics go. Wish the sounds were a bit more meatier but still they were good enough.

Still one of the best shooters I've played. Looking forward to this one buggy or not... I am down.

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky Patch
9. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2008, 15:31 Paranoid Jack

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/942067.asp

Is the UK a month in the future now? When I lived there it was more like living in the past but I grew to love it.

Most of those review links say 10/1/2008.

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 15:33.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Interview
3. Re: Unavoidable combat Sep 3, 2008, 15:25 Paranoid Jack

I'm pretty sure the other talking head (PR guy who I can't remember at this moment) stated early on in the PR blitz that avoiding combat was not an option.

I'll admit the last group of videos actually gave me a slight rise in interest from none to just curiosity. That's were I sit now just kind of curious to see how good or bad the game will actually turn out.

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky Q&A
4. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2008, 14:42 Paranoid Jack

Why would you want more accurate weapons? As long as you use cover and move around the close combat, hell even mid-ranged combat was a breeze. Only using the sniper rifles with the range finders was a bit tricky at times.

I thoroughly enjoyed the early stages of the game. The difficulty of taking out half a dozen targets with that crappy little pistol. Even after picking up a sawed-off shotgun it was still a nice challenge. Then you get your first silenced pistol and it becomes a hardcore stealthy shooter, if you want it to be.

Once you got the better weapons it was far too easy. The Gause (or whatever it was called) gun that shot railroad spikes was pretty much an instant kill weapon. Good thing they saved it until late in the game and gave limited ammo.

Even the special weapons like the faster firing AKs made the game a bit too easy. At least for me...

As far as Clear Sky goes I am a bit worried now myself. Because they made a lot of improvements to the inventory and bartering system. How could this one not be as good? I better dig up those reviews.

Edit: About the Stalker mods... I tried a couple mods early on that stopped the weapons/armor from degrading and that was kind of nice. But I never reinstalled them after I built my new system and reinstalled the game. I must have played the first half of the game at least a half dozen times before making it near the end-game. And I hear there are three separate endings?

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 14:47.

News Comments > Battlefield Heroes Video
3. Re: No subject Sep 3, 2008, 14:22 Paranoid Jack

That's the whole feeling I got from watching the video. Looks like DICE trying to make a game with the same feel as TF2 but not quite getting there.

Since it's FREE I'll play it for at least an hour or two and see how it plays but I was not impressed by what I saw. Also what's the whole business model behind this one? They giving it away because it wouldn't sell or they giving you the basic game trying to sell you unlocks?

News Comments > Diablo III Video Interview
12. Re: Graphics FTW! Sep 2, 2008, 14:51 Paranoid Jack

I remember the graphics for both Diablo games as being slightly behind the times. At most barely on par with the norm at the time of release. Many complained that D2 should have been fully 3D... hence the update that came out to add a more 3D look to the game-world.

I actually hate to see how graphics have become the water-mark by which all games are judged before the game-play is even taken into account. Graphics are important but not that important.

Seems so many of today's gamers will avoid the best game created due to it's graphics being slightly less than the norm or old-school.

To me the game-play is king. Graphics are great when they add to the game-play but if they don't it doesn't ruin a game as long as it has well rounded game-play.

Take WoW for instance. I didn't care for the graphics at release but the game was fun so I stuck with it. I would have preferred it if they had stuck to the original darker gritty look from the preview videos release back in 2000 and 2001, before they went for that Saturday morning cartoon look.

Either way their graphics were good (some say great) but it was the game-play that keeps people playing and paying even today.

News Comments > Diablo III Video Interview
9. Graphics FTW! Sep 2, 2008, 14:17 Paranoid Jack

Yeah, because we all know that graphics are the most important aspect when it comes to a game's success by far over-shadowing the actual game-play.

News Comments > WAR Early Access Detailed
23. Explain, please? Sep 2, 2008, 12:44 Paranoid Jack

"Its PvE is barely functional. It's a PvP-centric game. I think you'll be disappointed. Hell, I was LOOKING for a PvP-centric game and was disappointed."

Barely functional? What game did you play... or are you going by somebody else's opinion? WAR has plenty of PVE quests and exploration. Not to mention the tons of things to do listed inside the Tome. It may not have WoW PVE content but WoW has been out for four years. Besides WoW was 80% or more PVE when I was playing years ago. WAR is more like 60-40 from what I've seen.

And if you were looking for a PvP centric game why were you disappointed? WAR has some of the best PvP content to date in my opinion.

Is it a matter of taste? Would you mind... give some detail why you felt the way you did?

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 13:32.

News Comments > WAR Early Access Detailed
12. World of Starcraft? Sep 1, 2008, 20:32 Paranoid Jack

Not sure how well that would work. I know the Koreans would simply love it but Starcraft wasn't that great for me. I like the old Warcraft games much better.

Either way I am anxious to see what their next MMO project is. Since rumor has it it's been in the works for quite some time now.

I'll most likely get WotLK but not sure if it will be at launch or months later. Still looking forward to it even though I'll most likely get bored with WoW again within a month or two.

As far as WAR goes I am still going through with-drawls. I am excited and can't wait for release day.

News Comments > WAR Preorder SNAFU
10. Cracks Me Up Sep 1, 2008, 17:49 Paranoid Jack

What is up with this never-ending run of anti-WAR media?

Is the news business just that slow or are they haters being fed little stories that are common to every games release but somehow now are monumental because it's WAR?

Same shit has happened to me. In fact I pre-ordered from GameStop (used to be my favorite EB Games store) and they entered the regular edition SKU. I know I should have read the receipt but I didn't.

So I was in the closed beta and have early access but my DVD game code will match up to a regular edition not the CE. Do you hear me crying about it? Well, besides this little comparison piece?

The Batman is right... it's just a game.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 17:53.

News Comments > Mythic: $1B to Compete with WoW "Ridiculous"
11. Fun for more than a Month Aug 30, 2008, 12:40 Paranoid Jack

"Why can't they be fun for more than a month?"

That's not always so easy to answer. Sometimes it has more to do with your personal tastes than the games content. Not to mention the old coke-monkey in a cage comparison. So many people over-play games now. It's easy when you look at the cost to entertainment ratio. You can buy one game and play for hundreds if not thousands of hours if the content is there. Games with no clear ending. Online shooters, the BF games, the MMOs, the TF types... so many more.

The problem is they don't hold everyone's attention that long. And of course it goes back to the saying "too much of a good thing". That monkey in a cage with an unlimited supply of coke. Retard researchers should have know they would keep using until they dropped dead. Huge surprise there.

So anyway, the game may have more to offer but you're already burnt out and have no intention of ever seeing it. You can only in-take so much stimulation before you get tired of it all. Not that altering the game-play wouldn't help to keep you logging in more often and for more months.

WoW did nothing that the others didn't do or try to. Blizzard just compiled all the best features of MMOs, added a few more well thought out (some not so) features, and then polished it all better than most. And yes, they had three times the content out of the gate as the normal MMO. Even if it was and is all mostly repetitive game-play.

I think that is just one of the biggest hurdles for developers. The content. I think they damned well know they need a ton of content. They just can't seem to or aren't willing to spend what it takes to create it, implement it, and then polish it to a satisfactory state. I'm talking time and money here.

So again. It's no big mystery. They just don't have the talent, the time, and the money it seems. I loved the WAR beta and I'm excited to play some more. But even I don't know if I'll be playing three months after release.

So far the WoW beta and release kept me going the longest. About a year of play but not non-stop WoW either. LotR was the second longest with about seven or eight months before canceling. Again that's closed beta to post-release updates. Of course these are guestimations since I didn't keep a diary or write anything down.

Also I'm in the group that thinks we don't need or want another WoW. But then I'm not the investor trying to make a ton of money off PC gamers.

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 12:54.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Movies; Interview
18. May not be as bad as Oblivion Aug 30, 2008, 00:02 Paranoid Jack

I'm somewhat hopeful again after watching all the videos. They were slightly entertaining. And since I'm going through WAR with-drawls I'm bored.

Though the videos had little to nothing that made them feel like the old games the game looks fairly well done as far as the wasteland goes.

Not sure if you should assume everyone is a hardened soldier just because they live in a PA game-world. Hardened killers maybe... but I'm not saying the AI looked fabulous either.

I wasn't interested in the least bit after the last videos. At least now I've got a slight interest in seeing the game played on a powerhouse PC. My hopes are officially raised... though just slightly.

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 00:02.

News Comments > Gold - Warhammer Online
27. WAR is Coming! Avoid FilePlanet! Aug 27, 2008, 01:57 Paranoid Jack

I'm all for testing the game. Go pick up a pre-order card at GameStop/EBGames and get in the soon to be open beta. Don't buy into FilePlanet's shit about getting in. I've signed up for beta myself (usually their monthly or a renewal program) but at least half of those were already full or pulled before I even got home from work to apply.

As far as WAR goes I love it. I've beta tested every MMO listed in this thread and a dozen more... so like most of you I realize nothing is a given.

We could see another WoW. Remember when they stopped selling copies to give themselves a chance to catch up on their server installs?

WoW was great in beta compared to a lot of others. WAR is on par or even better. Far above AoC, EQ2, and Tabula Rasa with their level of polish. I wouldn't say the combat sucks unless you also hated WoW. Yeah, there is combat lag as of late. Not sure if it was a bad patch or server over-loads. I'm sure they collected the data they were looking for either way.

I know the game will sell well but if it sells like WoWs first few months there will be some major growing pains and we'll all be feeling them. After we wait in a que to enter the game that is.

I'll see you on the battlefields!

News Comments > More on WAR Credits
30. Poor gameplay? Aug 26, 2008, 10:04 Paranoid Jack

I'm not seeing your "poor gameplay". If anything it feels too much like WoW. Though that is easy to forget about once you start having a blast. The combination of the Tome, the PQs, the RvR instances, the RvR battlefields linked to every zone, and enough quests within each zone to more than level you past the intended level makers for a great entertaining experience.

Plus the "polish" seems to very heavily applied. I've only had two crashes to desktop in about a hundred hours of playtime.

I'm thinking the game will be a huge hit...

This comment was edited on Aug 27, 01:13.

News Comments > Two Worlds: Epic Edition Released
13. Re: LoL Aug 26, 2008, 01:43 Paranoid Jack

That's just it... I was referring to both games in their vanilla form. If it takes two gigs of user-made content and ten hours of sifting through it all... was it really worth it in the end? I'd say no.

I'll agree Oblivion was a fairly well polished turd compared to Gothic 3 just be a diamond in the rough. A bit too rough for most. Maybe it turned out to be cubic zirconia but that was still preferable to the shallowness of Oblivion.

At least for me it was. But then millions of people proved me wrong when they both bought and raved over Oblivion.

26. Re: Mythic != Jerks Aug 26, 2008, 00:39 Paranoid Jack

I understand your disgust. And I hope he realizes his error... or at the very least somebody makes him realize how stupid he is. I've skipped other games for the same reason or a very similar one.

Where I work it is easy to laugh at how the management has lost touch with reality. They stop at nothing to display the fact at ever opportunity. It appears to be a problem the world over.

24. Re: Mythic != Jerks Aug 26, 2008, 00:22 Paranoid Jack

But are they posted or listed someplace? How does one know when one has been left off the list?

And if you were why remain anonymous?

News Comments > Two Worlds: Epic Edition Released
11. LoL Aug 25, 2008, 23:16 Paranoid Jack

Yeah, Oblivion was crap. I like to pretend it doesn't exist.

There fixed it.

G3 wasn't the best game evar but still had a lot more going for it than Oblivion. Again if we could just get Bethesda to buy Piranha Bytes and have them teach Bethesda the art of making a deeper engaging game world that doesn't bore most people to tears.

22. Mythic != Jerks Aug 25, 2008, 23:03 Paranoid Jack

I think some of you have blown this way out of proportion. I agree everyone should be given credit where credit is due. But labeling an entire development studio one thing or another because one figure-head spouts off the wrong thing before pulling his head out of his ass... well that is just as bad as belittling the contribution of all those involved in making the game.

As far as outside sources, outsourced work to other companies, or companies in other countries? If that was the case, and I'm not saying it applies here, but if it does their contribution(s) should also be listed. Even though that has not always been the practice.

I agree that if they are or were on the payroll they can list them all far too easily. If they worked for a third party who supplied the talent it may not be as easy. But they can list that third party contracted company.

I would also like to know who it is crying wolf while Mythic is drug through the mud and lynched before the body is even found. Until they stand up I call bullshit. The industry makes far too much money to think these kind of games can't be played by rival developers who may just be employing the so called non-listed contributor. And since the game is not yet out how the fuck do they know they are not listed?

Also let us judge the game for what it is not for what some dickhead said that works in management. Because unless you work on another planet... we all know managers are generally scum.

Don't want to support them don't. But at least think the whole thing through before going off half cocked. Because a damned good game it is.

Edit: The Closed Beta officially ended Friday and the game has been open since then. If you have a pre-order try logging in. If not get into a beta slot. It's a great experience at least until you hit the cap of level 20. Either way the release is nearing and I can't wait to see the RvR battlefield over-flowing with fresh meat!

Waaagh!

Edit2: Damn all this negative vibe... the servers are down. Must be wiping the weekend even. Here's a good write up that appears to have sidestepped the hype machine. I had to laugh because this guy sounds like so many other WoW/MMO players who don't grasp the idea that combat is not always meant to be done toe to toe. I've played the Witch Hunter and this guy must really suck!

http://www.mmogamer.com/01/21/2008/first-and-second-impressions-warhammer-online

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 00:30.

1695 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo