Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paranoid Jack

Real Name Paranoid Jack   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Paranoid Jack
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.speedmatters.org/cwatest
Signed On Nov 5, 2001, 00:47
Total Comments 1735 (Pro)
User ID 11537

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Vanguard Wants You Back
1. Thanks But NO Thanks Sep 24, 2008, 00:29 Paranoid Jack

I beta tested for a few days... then months later gave them a second chance by purchasing a reduced priced copy for $20... that was several long months ago. I still feel ripped off.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > WAR Banhammer Striketh
38. Yep -3 Sep 24, 2008, 00:26 Paranoid Jack

"They are both saying they have no interest in this game... which shows their intelligence + 1. "

What makes it even funnier is that somebody actually thought he was two separate posts. So that means forums intelligence as a whole dropped.... -3

News Comments > etc.
1. Well... D'ah! Sep 21, 2008, 14:24 Paranoid Jack

"-- but I don't see that as a threat or a signaling, we're not backing away from it at all."

"We've taken a lot of the PC games where we kind of had them on a gondola, from a space perspective. But we've just realized, this is too important of a category, so we've put a lot of them up on the wall again where there's stronger representation in our stores."

These guys must be idiots. Over the years they have reduced the PC Games section of their stores down to a rack or two and then wonder why sales are down in their stores?

Let me give you a fucking clue... It's because every PC gamer who uses your stores on a regular basis already knows that if they didn't pre-order it the manager got maybe a half dozen copies if anything. So they go someplace else. Someplace where they have a better chance of finding a copy on the shelf. Someplace that has sales on opening weekend for major titles. Imagine that?

It's morons like these managing companies that drive their business away... to the competitors or the Net.

News Comments > Warhammer Online EU Woes Continue?
17. Re: No subject a.k.a. Huh? Sep 20, 2008, 03:33 Paranoid Jack

I won't even go into it. Sounds to me like you went into a PvP battlefield filled up on all the green quest icons you could without reading or thinking that maybe since you entered into a PvP area they may be PvP quests? But I'm just guessing since your sentence structure hurts my head.

Yes, there are a few quest to lead you to the PvP content just like there are quests to lead you to the capitol city and the other regions. Do you have to do them... well no. Either way I can understand you being upset because you can't swim below the water like you did in WoW. That was a nice touch.

Which two characters did you play to level ten and explain how they are cookie cutter, please?

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 03:47.

News Comments > Warhammer Online's Cut Content to Return for Free
27. I wonder why they did it? Sep 19, 2008, 21:11 Paranoid Jack

Most likely the numbers are not matching. I know I get the pre-order cards from GameStop without ordering all the time. I'll later return to pay for the future delivery. But then I'm a preferred customer there. They know I won't take a promotion item on a game I have no intention of buying. The guy who gave me my CE code card months ago wanted to give me a chance to see what the game had to offer after we talked about the negative comments from supposed beta testers on the Net. He basically sold me on the game by giving me those codes.

I got one for the CE and the SE later only putting down money on the SE because the CE orders had already been stopped. I told the managers and half the guys in there to call me if they had any CEs come in that weren't picked up.

And they just got three in this mourning. So I jumped on it. I love the game and won't regret the purchases anymore than I regret the WoW CE purchase four years ago. Or the Diablo II CE years before that. I loved them all for better or worse.

Anyway, seeing how this store got in three more copies of a supposedly sold out CE I'm betting the numbers were off. My guess is that a lot of people got their pre-order cards and were hoping to play the Closed Beta/Open Beta/Early Access and then go pick up the game a week or so after launch... if at all.

Hell, I've done it myself on several games. I pre-order and something last minute changes my mind. Like all the negative PR for Spore just a week or two prior to release. I never picked it up just moved my pre-order money to another title.

So hopefully those of you who haven't yet picked up your copy and want to continue playing will actually find a copy waiting for you at the store. Of course they will have a steady stream of copies trickling into stores for months to come.

This mourning my friend was told if he hadn't called first thing this mourning before driving out to pick-up his copy later today that it may have been sold. The store manager had already told employees to sell the copies not yet paid for or that had not already been arranged for pick-up today.

News Comments > Enhanced Edition Patch for The Witcher
12. Overload Sep 19, 2008, 20:34 Paranoid Jack

PC Gaming goodness is at an all time high... at least for me. We have several great releases just out and several due next month. I'm downloading the patches now but will most likely sit on them for a while. Plus I plan on ordering a EE Import from GoGamer. Some nice goodies in the box and it goes to a great cause.

These guys should have a press release about their next project soon, I hope.

15. More Bad PR? Sep 19, 2008, 13:21 Paranoid Jack

Folks,

Good, bad or ugly, Mythic has always had the integrity to stand up for what we think is the right thing to do in any situation. I donít expect everyone to agree but Iíve never intentionally made a decision to hurt the community and/or our players and I donít intend to start now. For the last couple of days weíve been dealing with a very difficult and complicated situation. Sadly, there are lots of moving parts and sometimes it takes both a bit of elbow grease to get things working properly.

Hereís where we stand right now. As of this morning, we deactivated a large number of accounts and ended the Head Start for our game. At the same time, weíve been in touch with the retailers, both online and brick-and-mortar, and while we are getting great data on the number of people who will get their game today; there is still a relatively small number of people who wonít be able to get them due to shipping issues (no matter what the issues are, whose fault, etc.).

So, after a lot of conversations Iím happy to announce that over the next few hours we are going to extend the grace period for all customers of Amazon, GoGamer and the EA Store till the 22nd of September. Based on the data we have gathered, these companies account for just about all the customers that were concerned about their chance to get into the game today. Thus, if you currently have an account with us, youíll be able to get back into the game while you wait for your game to be delivered. Of course, all characters are still intact and no billing of any credit card has taken place (it couldnít, the account still has free time on it) since the accounts were simply deactivated not wiped.

We have been assured by all the brick-and-mortar retailers that they got their shipments in the stores already so if you needed to go to a store to pick up your game, the units are in stock everywhere. We will be monitoring the situation closely over the next twenty-four hours of course.

As Iíve said countless times, we will do the best we can in any situation to make it right and I hope you agree with have done so again. I thank the community for its support, especially for this rather thorny problem.

Mark

They have locked out all those still playing on the CE/SE pre-order codes. Only those who bought from e-retails will be given access in the next couple hours to continue playing with out the boxed DVD card code(s). Somewhat strange unless they noticed a huge difference between the number of pre-order codes given out and those actually ordered and/or picked up. Most companies give a week or at least five days.

9. Re: Grahics are great Sep 19, 2008, 11:39 Paranoid Jack

I second that. I'm running at 1900x1200 everything on high or max'd setting. There are rare hickups once the initial loading of the area has finished. I think they are the divides between zones. Nothing that bothers me. The graphics may not be as detailed as some other games but those games are running smaller zones or levels. This is a wide open game where you can see players far into the distance.

Try that in AoC. I had my view distances maxed in AoC and PC/NPC still pop in/out when they reach a certain distance. That was on a GTX 260/Q6600/4GB RAM. Don't get me wrong I love AoC but when your on a PvP server the last thing you want/need is some ganker popping into view limiting your response times.

Also developers know that if you make the graphics widely scalable (hence a wider range of systems can play it) your user base pools from the owners of older systems to the owners of the latest tech. It just makes sense. Making the graphics high end only limits the user base and chances of success.

Not to mention where the game has tons of character which for me helps over-come anything graphics wise. I'll always side with the game-play over graphics.

I am curious to find out what the WoW burn-outs think. Is the game too much like WoW if you've just recently left it?

Edit for AoC recent patch: Have they implemented true PvP conscequneces? Are the NPCs still popping in at thirty feet away? Or worse, are some still popping up from below ground level when you get within twenty feet of them?

Like I told them when I canceled let me know when you fix the PvP and flesh out the content above level 40. Because I would like to try it again... just not right now.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 11:45.

News Comments > Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning Launches
16. My Biggest Complaint Sep 18, 2008, 20:57 Paranoid Jack

I can't decide what race/class to make my main. I love or at the very least liked every class I've played. My least favorite is the Dark Elf Healer (can't remember the name). And my favorites are the Black Orc, the Bright Wizard, and the Witch Hunter. I agree you have to play each class up to ten or twelve levels before you start seeing the big picture.

What I'd like to know if anyone noticed the slightly improved graphics from the 2 DVD install versus the Beta Client? And if so are you also experiencing smoother game-play over-all and no more crashes like I've noticed?

Great launch and great game. I too hope the PvE and the PvP content remains this good through out.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Movies
1. Looks Good Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Paranoid Jack

But still I'm disappointed they had no voices assigned to the player character. I loved that about the Witcher. Didn't bother me in the least that I couldn't pick from half a dozen... not at all. So I'm hoping they have voices (one female, one male minimum) which can be disabled if the player so chooses. It goes a long way, immersion is key.

News Comments > Mythic's EA Comments Follow-up
8. You didn't read the media releases... Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Paranoid Jack

John, it's only been put out to the media repeatedly over the past two months. Pre-Order either version get into the Beta/Early Access. Servers go live on Thursday but the game will be on sale a day before. Been done before. Nothing new. Is it a bit of a let down? Sure, if you didn't prepare or couldn't get a pre-order... but in no way was anyone mislead.

Also the pre-order cards handed out at most retailers and e-mailed from Internet stores were a limited supply. Again, if you were at all interested you most likely read it but didn't act.

Not a problem... the game will still be there for you tomorrow mourning.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 23:46.

10. Re: You didn't read the media releases... Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Paranoid Jack

John, please, read the media release(s) again. 12:01 AM is not the official launch time... and the standard edition pre-order also gave you early access. I guess you weren't paying as much attention as you thought.

Like I said this has been done before. Release the game a day early so the masses can pick up a copy (or have the over-night shipped to them), install two DVDs of gaming goodness, and then update their client to be ready for the mourning of the official launch.

I just don't understand all the angst when the info has been out there for weeks if not months. Either way I hope you have fun.

News Comments > Age of Conan Director Leaves
25. Sorry I misspoke, Tumbler Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Paranoid Jack

I should have said days not hours. Not sure what I was thinking. I'll blame it on this damned head-cold. Either way I apologize. It's more like two or three days to level out of Tortage depending on several things. Like character type, server type, your knowledge of objectives, and your willingness to click through dialog (bad thing IMO). Again, this is not the preferred method of playing AoC since it has a lot to offer story wise. But if you are tired of Tortage skip the content and go straight for the quest objectives.

Also the only way you're going to be able to run through Tortage is to be on a PvE server... maybe by grouping on PvP through out the Day missions. On PvP you're slowed by the other players. Not that I minded. I loved it.

One thing that occurred to me and maybe Fion (or another current player) can tell us. Since most of my time playing AoC was in beta... have they changed the leveling and/or questing XP since going retail? Not sure I noticed it but then I wasn't rushing to get out of Tortage and I was focusing on two characters not a new one every week. In beta I know I regular ran through Tortage in a couple days. They were wiping characters once a week it seemed like.

I can't go into any greater detail than this... focus on missions. Grinding is the slowest way to level in AoC. Do a few low level day missions in and around the city but more so use the Night missions until you run into a level requirement. At that point jump back into the Day missions and group if possible. Avoid combat if possible (depends on your character). Once you get to fifteen I think one of the requirements was switch back to Night.

I think the key to it is knowing the area, the objectives, and the content well enough that it allows you to skip the voice acting. Not sure why you would want to since that is one of the best things about Tortage. It has the single-player cRPG feel in a MMO. Anyway, I was just trying to recover ground lost during the character wipe.

You probably already know this. The last mission on the harbor before you leave Tortage is a bit tricky but try to avoid the groups running crazy and go toward the dock as soon as an opening appears. I think it's the Captain you kill to trigger the next part. So many people would try to kill everyone in the harbor. You can't. They constantly respawn.

Hope this helps... if you've made it out at level 18 you're doing well on those last missions. I think I was 19 minimum when exiting Tortage.

12. D'oh! Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Paranoid Jack

Ok, that is it. I'm done. Twice now in the past day I have stuck my foot in my mouth. I could have sworn it was a 10 AM Live Launch. I won't bother looking for it. I'll just admit you're right and go back to playing the game.

Are you happy now? I'm having a hell of a time deciding which character I want to be my main. Having too much fun playing the different classes/races. I have yet to try a Shaman for more than six or seven levels. The healers play differently depending on race. One requires you to be involved in melee (Warrior Priest), another (Archmage I think it is) requires little to no melee, and the Rune Priest seems to be a middle ground. He mainly uses spells at a distance, heal from a distance, and lite melee.

I'm still having a blast ... this is the best head-cold (that's moved into my chest) I've ever had. It took me out of work finally yesterday and I don't plan on going back until Monday.

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 11:50.

News Comments > The Witcher Enhanced Edition Patch Friday
10. Re: ??? Sep 17, 2008, 20:06 Paranoid Jack

InBlack, you probably already know this but just in case... the combat changes with your difficulty setting. Go for the most difficult will make the game more of a challenge. And I think the EE patch will also enhance the combat if I remember correctly. So anyway, give it another try. I was at first put off by the feeling of losing control of Geralt when the scripted combat kicked in but I quickly adapted to the point where I enjoyed it.

I also agree this is one of the best cRPGs ever created.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
11. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2008, 19:57 Paranoid Jack

I'm also buying an Enhanced version but it will be the Import again because I too love the titular!

No, really. I agree these guys have a fantastic work ethic. Almost unheard of in today's industry. I'm rewarding them a third time since I bought two copies and a video card that came with an OEM.

I had little to no problems playing through the game last year. And only held off on a complete second run through because they announced the EE. Now, I am excited to be able to play it through with Polish voice acting, full content/added content, and English subtitles (with less butchered translations).

Going to be sweet.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 13:59.

18. Re: History repeats itself... Sep 17, 2008, 19:33 Paranoid Jack

True, I believe they did what so many other developers have done... push out a MMO in the hopes that they can finish the content after release. The content that they didn't have enough time to get to. The features they didn't finish implementing.

It doesn't really matter who made the call (developer or financier) to go retail too soon... before polishing or finishing all the content. But you can understand their train of thought. They get it onto store shelves they get paying customers who help finance the continued work of the title. It's become one of the corner-stones of MMO design.

edit: I was just thinking... some developers/financiers believe that business model is the foundation (not the corner-stone) to any MMO design. I've test several games that should never have gone retail at their beta state. And a few others that never made it to retail. Somebody got smart and pulled the plug before wasting anymore of the investor's money.

That said I think AoC will be around for a long time. And will mature nicely over the next year. Bad news is there are a dozen other companies trying to hit the mother load. They all want to be the next WoW and get their license to print money. Also we as PC Gamers are far less forgiving than the console crowd.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 13:48.

15. History repeats itself... Sep 17, 2008, 19:02 Paranoid Jack

... and that is not always a bad thing!

Can you honestly say Gaute was/is a horrid designer/product manager? He made a huge amount of great design decision's. There is a lot of great content in AoC. It's just sad most people have ADD and won't take the minute it requires to actually read the fucking quest before clicking Accept or Decline. I bet most only glance at the reward/loot and click, click, click away. Which is fine as long as you're not one of the people crying the game is boring or lacks content. Not that it doesn't need more content in the top half.

AoC has by far the best combat of any MMO. I think most people will agree with that. It has the best quest story-telling... even above LotR in my opinion. But then most MMO stick to the short blurb of info to give you a quest to keep you and your short attention span moving right along. And I'm guilty of it at times myself but I won't be crying about a game being boring when I'm not taking the time to actually read the content provided.

The only reason I canceled my account was to play the WAR beta. Other wise I'd still be playing it now. It's an over-all good game. Just the high end content and PvP/RvR needs to be fleshed out or filled in.

I will definitely return to it. WoW and LotR? Probably not since WAR is the new MMO crack. Of those two LotR is more likely to get me back with their add-on. Anyway, I loved AoC and played numerous characters (too many to remember) out of Tortage and several up into the low forties during beta and retail. I'll return to the game sometime in the next six months depending on the updates.

Either way I've no regrets buying it. It's a good game and well worth your time for at a minimum two months of play. Oh, and by the way (think I mentioned this before) Tortage only takes three to six hours unless you spend a shit-load of time exploring and/or dying.

Whatever you do don't click through the quests. Each character has a different angle on the situation unfolding within the city.

After you know the locations it takes about two or three hours to level most characters. And although I never got bored of it my friend only made it out of Tortage once and then canceled because he didn't want to level another character out of the city. He's the click through a quest without reading it type though... and that says it all.

edit: Just noticed his typo in the title... repreats... too funny.
This comment was edited on Sep 17, 13:34.

News Comments > WoW 3.0 on the PTR
18. Sorry Q Sep 16, 2008, 02:48 Paranoid Jack

He used it and has it downloading now. Actually I wish I would have e-bayed it but I've never been an opportunistic.

Either way good luck finding another key. Or just pre-order the game. It's due out in November and they just got the SKUs at the local game stores.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
9. Today is Release Day? Sep 16, 2008, 02:41 Paranoid Jack

I bought it last week at my local GameStop and have yet to break the wrapper open because I'm so hooked on WAR. I too didn't have as bad an experience with SoC as others here but would also point out some people have a lot lower tolerance for what they perceive to be major problems.

Hoping when I get around to it that it's as good as the original if not better.

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 02:45.

1735 Comments. 87 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo