Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paranoid Jack

Real Name Paranoid Jack   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Paranoid Jack
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.speedmatters.org/cwatest
Signed On Nov 5, 2001, 00:47
Total Comments 1696 (Pro)
User ID 11537

User comment history
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
9. Today is Release Day? Sep 16, 2008, 02:41 Paranoid Jack

I bought it last week at my local GameStop and have yet to break the wrapper open because I'm so hooked on WAR. I too didn't have as bad an experience with SoC as others here but would also point out some people have a lot lower tolerance for what they perceive to be major problems.

Hoping when I get around to it that it's as good as the original if not better.

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 02:45.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > WoW 3.0 on the PTR
11. Re: Are the beta invites linked? Sep 14, 2008, 19:15 Paranoid Jack

Alright Q, if my daughter's boyfriend can't use it it is yours. He has a MAC and I'm not sure if it's both PC & MAC. Told him to let me know as soon as he can.

Haven't been that interest to tell you the truth. Let you know soon enough...

Edit: Fion I'm dying to know how far into the game you went before making your decision? How many characters did you play and to what level? If you never made it to your first Keep battle then you missed out...

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 19:34.

News Comments > WoW 3.0 on the PTR
6. Are the beta invites linked? Sep 14, 2008, 13:32 Paranoid Jack

I got an invite I won't be using since WAR is open for Early Access. And boy, oh boy, are those servers getting hammered. No pun intended. They better bring another dozen on-line soon.

They already have more than a dozen and then queues are retarded long to get into the game. Just like WoW when it went live some three or four years back.

Anyway, if my daughters boyfriend can't or doesn't want to use it I may be able to give it to somebody on here. That is my question though is it linked to my original account or just my e-mail?

If it's just e-mail I can forward the taker any e-mails until they get the e-mail account changed. Let me know if anyone wants to try this...

Edit: You must have an active WoW account with the BC expansion. Must have been active Aug 22nd I think it was. I don't have an active account so I'm not sure why they sent me on invite.
This comment was edited on Sep 14, 13:35.

News Comments > Steam Deals
10. Polish with English Subtitles? Sep 12, 2008, 23:48 Paranoid Jack

I can't wait to replay it with the added content, the restored cut dialog, and the extra polish. Plus playing it with Polish voice acting and English subtitles should be great. I hope it's possible. I read it was.

Edit: The Witcher that is.
This comment was edited on Sep 12, 23:50.

News Comments > Cyclopean; A Lovecraft RPG
11. No Doubt Sep 12, 2008, 23:41 Paranoid Jack

I'm not going to start hoping and waiting on another indie until after I play AoD at least three or four times through with different character builds.

But yeah... I hope they fill the team out sooner rather than later. Still look how long AoD has been in development. One comes to expect long development cycles for indie games.

News Comments > Warhammer Online Interview
9. Things that make you go... Huh? Sep 12, 2008, 23:28 Paranoid Jack

It seems some of us aren't playing the same game at times.

I have heard these type of comments on here repeatedly over the years. As far as MMOs it was the same for WoW, EQ2, AoC, and now WAR. You get peeps on here talking hella smack but if you're in the game you know and can pick out the bullshitters and the fanbois talking down the latest game that isn't their fav. The one they can't get into or the one their system won't run because it's outdated.

It's a strange occurrence that happens for other genres also. And maybe it's not just sour-grapes but most of the time it sure seems that way.

I'll admit since they went semi Open Beta the servers are slammed and I've crashed far more... or been dropped by the server. But this is a "beta test" period. They are still preparing no matter what you may think. And although my memory isn't the best I would say this beta is as good as the best I've been involved in. Better than most.

So if you are thin skinned and can't put up with a bumpy start hold off a month or three. Either way I think most people with an open mind are going to enjoy this game. I know I am.

edit: Also most people don't play a game just to get the best gear or think they have the best gear. They play because it's entertaining. I guess those types who want to be better than the Joneses are the same in game?
This comment was edited on Sep 12, 23:36.

News Comments > Cyclopean; A Lovecraft RPG
9. AoD Sep 12, 2008, 22:30 Paranoid Jack

Age of Decadence has been my "most anticipated game" for three years running now. I hope to hell they get this thing finished before I die. ;p

But don't rush it guys. All the hard work is paying off and then some. Too bad more studios don't have this level of communication and interaction with their fan-base.

Iron Tower Studios is another studio that just gets it. Like the rest of us in the service industry who already know... you work for the customer. If they aren't happy with what you have to offer you don't have shit to sell them.

One of the main reasons I avoid certain games and certain studios now. The elitist attitudes or the "we know better"... "we're developers" bullshit doesn't work most of the time. Least not with/for me. Not that they can't sell a ton of BS to the masses. And I'm not saying games should be developed via committee. I just think developers are too closed minded to community feed-back in most cases.

I'm hoping with the almost certain future success of Age of Decadence that Iron Tower will be able to expand and start producing more old school games for those of us who still enjoy games with more than just the graphix.

Keep fighting the good fight fellas....

News Comments > The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Next Week
30. Soft Pron FTW! Sep 12, 2008, 21:54 Paranoid Jack

I love The Witcher but then I bought the UK version.

I've got a NA EE on Pre-Order at GameStop because these guys deserve the money. And if they have the balls to create another game like The Witcher then I will support them and then some. Not just because it's a good game. They've create what so many NA politically correct studios were far too afraid to even try.... a game with adult content. Not that the teens won't like it.

I hope Dragon Age is even half as adult oriented as The Witcher.

And yes, the EE swag looks good.

News Comments > WoW Character Transfers Expand
5. I used it once... Sep 11, 2008, 22:30 Paranoid Jack

Long long time ago. I transferred a character to a Buddie's server because his friend was a Guild Leader. What a mistake.

Not sure what they are charging... think it was $15 back then... but can't remember and don't really care. I figured they should have opened up transfers to and from any server that isn't already at max capacity back then. But they were happy just to be raking in the millions in subscription fees back then. Now they want to rake in millions in transfer fees also.

Still player's deserve to have that choice and I applaud them for finally allowing it to the extent they have finally reached.

Looks as if I may be checking out the WotLK beta tomorrow or later this weekend. Funny that I just got an invite when I'm not a current subscriber. Oh, not to mention I told them I was a WAR Closed Beta tester. Now I got to wonder if that has anything to do with me being picked.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 22:32.

News Comments > Warhammer Online Delayed by WoW
9. Funny Shit! Sep 11, 2008, 21:25 Paranoid Jack

I just got my WotLK Beta invite and I'm not even a current subscriber. I'm a WAR beta tester and I put that on the app. I wonder if that is why they are inviting me? Trying to sway me back to WoW since WAR is releasing next week...

EDIT: New Update Today! Check it out!

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 21:35.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Censored for AU, and Everywhere Else Too
39. Huh? Sep 9, 2008, 22:55 Paranoid Jack

I'm appalled that Bethesda was so stupid as to use real world drug names... not thinking that this would actually happen? It's the same reason they made up names for their other games. My guess is they were hoping for this very thing to happen to generate huge amounts of free press and to help get the attention of the world's game playing youth.

Or it may just show that they don't know enough or care enough about the previous games to stick with the existing Fallout canon.

I'm betting this was a staged fiasco....
This comment was edited on Sep 9, 23:05.

News Comments > European WAR Beta Signups Resume Today
18. Patience People Patience Sep 8, 2008, 22:55 Paranoid Jack

I waited almost a year before getting into the beta. I know waiting sucks. Makes it worse when the company providing the servers in Europe bit off way more than they can chew. Just focus on something else pick up Spore. That will get you through at least a couple hours, maybe days...

Funny. Fion, you hate WAR when it's RvR is far better than AoC which you claim to love and advise people to be patient they are fixing it? I know after playing AoC regular button mashing combat isn't preferable but yet I can't help feel that you're exaggerating.

Had you already made up your mind about the game? It takes at least a few hours to level to a point where you won't be one shot killed on the RvR battlefields. So I assume you never even made it to that point? Must have just played a RvR instance and the nearest PQ? I don't know of any PQs that only take two minutes to play through. Which one was that?

If you don't like the way this one plays I have to assume you're burnt out on the standard MMO. Because your passing judgement on a game with only a few hours of play sounds like the so called professional reviewers who only play a few hours and then write a shitty review. Either way... to each his own.

"I have to say it is indeed the buggest open beta I have ever played. It makes AoC's open beta looks flawless. This game is going to be a disaster at release."

Can you give a little detail? Because you are either having server issues, system issues, or you're playing a different game than I've been testing for the last month or more. But again different strokes.

edit: I beta tested AoC also and this has far more polish than it. Not that AoC was bad either. I guess I've been testing games long enough to know that testing is testing. Not the final product. Plus they do a lot of server testing along with play testing which helps them to prepare for the launch. Also if you've played many you should know MMOs are never completely finished. I'm just saying there seems to be a lot of snap judgements and tempers flaring...

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 23:04.

News Comments > Warhammer Online Beta Opens
64. No Credit Card? I'm Impressed! Sep 8, 2008, 21:18 Paranoid Jack

Ant, I forgot about that. If you have no credit card you are stuck purchasing at the very least a game-card for a month to get the subscription going? Or do they not require credit cards anymore?

I thought they had moved away from the credit card is necessary business model. But maybe I'm thinking of that browser based MMO I tried recently...

Either way. If you wait and there's not a constantly growing subscriber base they will eventually give out seven or ten day trails. Which isn't enough time to try everything but enough time to decide if you like the game enough to buy a copy and a game-card.

I've logged dozens of hours already. Lost track. So I know I like it enough to at least buy it and most likely play it for three months or so.

Takes a lot longer to level. Unlike AoC where you can level three times within a few hours if you know how to work it.

I made it to level 21 or 22 before a wipe a month or so back. I'd guess it took me about two weeks but I wasn't taking days off work and only stayed up late a few nights. Not to mention the servers were constantly going up and down while they worked on them.

Damn, I'm envious! Wish I could say I had no credit cards or at least the debt that usually goes with them. Never thought about the subscription issues that it would cause though.

One good thing for us Closed Beta testers... bad thing for the general public. If they went totally Open Beta it would be pandemonium. It's bad enough now with more than a hundred thousand people trying to get their game on.

I sure hope they learn from it. Blizzard didn't. It was hell the first two months or more after release. This time I am going to pick the worst name server and hope it fills up last or never...

News Comments > Warhammer Online Beta Opens
56. Great Even Though They Are Hammered Sep 8, 2008, 02:43 Paranoid Jack

If you want to avoid the hassle just wait a month. No more issues with everyone trying to get in at the same time. And those with very short attention spans will have gone back to whatever they prefer.

I've tested 2/3 of the classes to at least level six and yes they all play fairly different. I'm enjoying it even though this Semi Open Beta is stressing the servers to the max. I've had ten times more CTD and server connection issues than the Closed Beta.

And if you're waiting for a highly anticipated MMO to have a smooth launch you'll be waiting a long long time. This game is great. I expect the first month or two to be a very bumpy start. Servers are not cheap they won't buy more than they think they'll need so the guess work is going to cause us all head-aches come launch.

News Comments > How Publishers Punish Game Sites
25. Fixed Sep 7, 2008, 02:40 Paranoid Jack

game journalism = Fox Any News Media

Don't trust either of them. They're biased, owned by the people they're talking about, and full of lies to brainwash you

Fixed it.

As if the other networks aren't pushing their agendas? Every source of media that relies on ad dollars and/or is owned by the filthy rich will always be used to spread propaganda for one reason or another. Either to make more money or to help get their candidate in office... to help them make more money.

The whole system is corrupt. Just like Govt. Just like Corp America. Just like Religion.

Anything... any business that can control any aspect which will impact their bottom line (profits) will do just that. No matter what. Damn the possible negative ethical and morale implications.

It's called Capitalism. The worlds biggest religion.

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 02:42.

News Comments > On the Versatile Spore Engine
10. Hesitant to Buy Sep 7, 2008, 00:41 Paranoid Jack

I'm kind of let down. No, not kind of. I'm really fucking let down. I was called about the pre-order and after reading the comments and reviews this sounds like what happened to me with the Sims.

I bought into the hype played it for several hours but the bottom line was that even the cool possibilities couldn't save the boring ass game-play.

I ended up installing a money cheat and building or designing huge houses... forget the micro managing the little people. Now that I think about it Black & White was the same thing. After hearing those little ungrateful villagers crying for more more more...

So now I doubt I'll be picking up my copy tomorrow. And with the WAR Preview Weekend event being more hassle than anything else... well, I need to kill something in cyberspace or I won't sleep well tonight.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. %) Sep 6, 2008, 22:27 Paranoid Jack

Made in China use to mean cheap... now it means cheap junk, with lead based paint, and poison added as filler.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Genetics Play A Major Roll Sep 6, 2008, 17:10 Paranoid Jack

I have great genetics... when it comes to teeth anyway.

My wife is always hoping I'll come out of the dentist office saying that I have a cavity... but I never do. Besides my wisdom teeth being removed in my mid to late teens I can't remember any other troubles since I was about eight years old.

I only brush once a day. Only floss occasionally. And my teeth are clean enough/white enough (besides the dead one, skateboarding accident as a kid) that I don't use any whitener other than special toothpaste.

Wish I was as lucky with my spine.

Hope you get that thing sorted out Blue.

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 17:11.

News Comments > Warhammer Online Beta Keys
18. Re: No subject Sep 6, 2008, 01:44 Paranoid Jack

The 2nd Preview Weekend is in full swing. NA and Oceanic Servers are up but slammed with all the new testers.

Not so much fun at the moment compared to the great times had in Closed Beta.

Sunday will be the start of Open Beta but for tonight and tomorrow its a mad-house.

News Comments > Warhammer Online Beta Keys
8. No Pre-Order In The UK? Sep 5, 2008, 03:18 Paranoid Jack

Best way to get into the Open Beta and Early Access is to get a pre-order from a local store. I went GameStop and picked mine up. I actually have two since I put money down on a CE but the clerk ordered the regular version.

So he gave me a CE code card and later I got the regular code card when I went in to talk to them about the order being wrong.

If you can get a pre-order that gives you access to beta and even if you decide not to purchase at most you're only out $5 - $10 at most. But in most cases you just move your pre-order money onto the next title you want to order.

One of the best things about GameStop, not sure the policy is the same for Internet pre-orders though.

Either way good luck. Don't give up just be patient.

As far as the combat goes it's typical MMO style combat... not as action and location oriented as AoC but still as good as or better than WoW in my opinion. Fun as hell RvR.

1696 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo