Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paranoid Jack

Real Name Paranoid Jack   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Paranoid Jack
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.speedmatters.org/cwatest
Signed On Nov 5, 2001, 00:47
Total Comments 1723 (Pro)
User ID 11537

User comment history
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Sequel & DLC Plans
7. Dragon Age: Origins Oct 21, 2008, 23:04 Paranoid Jack

I'm hoping they deliver with their promise of BG meets NWN meets ME. And I agree they should focus on showing us more of the game and actually releasing it before they start marketing the DLC and Sequels.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saintís Row 2 Interview
2. Re: Saintís Row 2 Interview Oct 21, 2008, 01:13 Paranoid Jack

Sounds like what my friend said except he figured it was going to be fun from the start.

He told me the graphics are the same as the previous game but you have more options in the game world as far as your gang-banging activities go...

He has tried to get me to buy it for two weeks now but there are just too many other games in the pipe. Plus I'm hooked on WAR and having a blast.

News Comments > One Cut WAR Class Not Returning
11. Re: One Cut WAR Class Not Returning Oct 20, 2008, 21:55 Paranoid Jack

Please, explain the imbalances as you see them. I know you think the BW is over-powered... maybe you can start there?

I see highs and lows for all the classes I am currently playing. At times they seem over-powered until I see the guy I just took out so easily was a low level player. Just as I imagine he isn't too happy with my stomping him. But I bet he looked at my level and quickly came to terms with his demise.

I get tired of the RvR action occasionally too. So I mix it up with solo and group questing. I also realize the games RvR is mainly designed to be played as part of a team. And not primarily for solo PvP. I'm fine with that since the game offers a good variety.

One thing I hope they add more of is dungeons or instances that can be done solo or as a small group.

News Comments > WAR Status
13. Re: end of first month Oct 18, 2008, 19:02 Paranoid Jack

There is nothing wrong with opinion I won't argue that but...

Game defiantly needs polishing.

Ok? Comparing it to what? You're saying this game is a buggy mess? It's not perfect but what PC game is? None, will ever be perfect. It's inherent to the system.

Gold Spammers are running rampent in messges, tells and ingame mail.

Curios to know what other games you're playing because if you think they are rampant in WAR you've never played any of the other popular MMOs. I see one e-mail per character every week or two. IN game tells maybe a couple within a play session. Rampant? Not even close.

Mythic seems to be ignoring this issue as there is no way to report them. (see lack of dialog options above)

BS, there has been a way to report them since day one. Sorry if you feel you should only need to think about it to have it so. Click two buttons type in a name and short message hit submit. Tough, I know...

SpellCaster spells that kill you to cast them is pretty retarded.

Again, just think and maybe read the description of the spell you're casting. If it's an AoE spell it will damage you when your target is within the AoE (area of effect, just in case you're wondering). Simple, do not cast AoE when your target is in melee combat with you. Does this fall under your "classes are quite unbalanced"?

vent/teamspeak the in game chat is still needed for common group communication.

No kidding? You mean if somebody isn't on TS2 or Vent with you you may actually need to send them a tell to let them know what the fuck is going on? Man, this game sucks ass.

Nothing really to spend money on save maybe a horrid color choice on your outfit.(that will be replaced in a couple levels anyhow)

I've already filed a complaint about this one myself. I mean why can't we have player housing and buy little kittens to follow us around?

/sarcasm turns off

Sorry, for being rude but I am tired of people who call themselves gamers but then complain about silly little things. Or post BS as fact. Try to learn the game and don't expect WAR to be just like game XyZ because it's not. Thank the Gods. I'll bet you probably had to learn the ins & outs of WoW too before you became Uber? I give up post BS all you want...

This comment was edited on Oct 18, 2008, 19:13.

News Comments > WAR Status
9. I agree Houdini Oct 18, 2008, 11:48 Paranoid Jack

Besides the XP and Renown the rewards are little more than the fun factor. Which isn't always enough. I think they hear you and others raising the issue and hopefully we'll see some response in-game soon. But they have to be careful they don't ruin the balance. Which I feel they have done a great job implementing so far.

As far as the PQs and the wacky randomness to who wins. It's a two sided blade. At times you'll be the one winning after joining into kill the last few Champions and the Hero. I think it's about as good as it can be. Not that I enjoy playing every stage being number one for contribution and rolling a damned 21. Yeah, it has happened. Several times I have roll under one hundred. Hell, I've never seen anyone roll a freaking 21. Leave it to me... or the game.

News Comments > Warhammer Online Tank Plans
21. Re: Here we go again... Oct 18, 2008, 10:50 Paranoid Jack

Are you saying by yourself in melee (BO) taking on several Order of which at least one BW is being backed up by a healer and/or other ranged DPS? If you're going it alone then that is precisely the way the game is designed to play. They don't want any one class being over powering. From what I've read and experienced of all the classes. It even warns you with the BO that ranged DPS is a problem for your class because the BO is slow and needs to close in before taking tons of damage.

I'm hoping it's just the way your playing not the game since all my game time points toward a properly balanced and coordinated team being successful. Also if nobody is attacking the healer(s) you're talking an Epic Fail. Healers need to be flanked or assaulted whenever possible. You can not let them just hang back and constantly heal.

If you're not already in a guild try to find a larger one that has sufficient members in your level range so that you can join instances as a group. That changes everything if you can pull it off. Great fun.

Also are you saying the tons of PvE content (solo quests and PQs) suddenly dry up in tier four? Because no matter what race I've played in tiers one, two, and the beginnings of three... there are more quests than needed to level your character. I drop numerous quests that I can't complete without back tracking to avoid going back into lower level areas. And I'm not talking one region. I'm seeing that on both sides of the three alignments. Unless the reward is an armor/weapon piece I need I abandon the quest and move on.

So what I'm saying is if your playing solo quests, PQs, RvR instances, and RvR battlefields how can you getting bogged down at level 31? I can see getting tired of a class and moving to another. Since you have less control of your groupings which make or break RvR game-play. But just as many times as not I have got into RvR instances that were great fun to play.

Like my other post I'll admit if your group has a load of people who don't know their rolls or tactics it can be frustrating as hell. But that is every multiplayer game ever created.

Edit: Cutter it just occured to me what you're experiencing. The light bulb came on. At the beginning of every tier you're going to notice you're getting your ass handed to you in RvR combat. It's your level disadvantage for that tier. After reaching mid tier or late tier your game-play will swing back around to the other end. I tend to level via quests, PQs, and battlefield while in the lower half of the tier. Then focus on mostly RvR both instanced and battlefield for the second half of the tier. Remember even though your level is boosted during RvR you're still dealing less damage due to your abilities being lower. I know it can be frustrating but it makes perfect sense to me. Your level has to have some advantage/disadvantage. Either way have fun and let us know how WotLK goes.

This comment was edited on Oct 18, 2008, 11:14.

News Comments > Warhammer Online Tank Plans
19. Here we go again... Oct 17, 2008, 23:38 Paranoid Jack

I'm thinking WAR is like most MMOs. I get tired of a certain class I play an alt for a while. Same as any other MMO. Plus, I jump from one server to the next since you can't play both sides of one server as in WoW. Does this mean DOOM! No! I feel most of the character types are great fun. I'm having a hard time playing just one. So why not play more than one? Does it hurt anything? Not that I'm aware of. There is no race to get to forty... not for me.

Anyway saying that WAR is a boring step back is just your opinion. Your entitled to it. Mine is the polar opposite but I'm not going to post it ever single WAR thread. Not saying you can't... just wishing you wouldn't. You're becoming the boy who cried wolf.

And I'm one of several here that would love to hear more details to support your reasoning. Like what characters... to what levels you have played.

Since beta I've played most of the characters to level ten and beyond. Several to level twenty or more. I find things I like about all of them. And my opinion for the reason there are so many more Black Orcs than Chosen, Ironbreakers, and Swordmasters is simple. They are just more fun to play. They all have slightly different play styles but the Black Orc just has that added fun factor. That goofy mean look. And High Elfs all look feminine (not that their is anything wrong with that, nod to Jerry Seinfeld).

On another note. I've got a Warrior Priest who has taken out a Black Orc of equal level (or one higher) in one on one combat... not just once but on numerous occasions. A swarm of Black Orcs doesn't always mean a win. But unless the Order side (which seems to be more casual players) can figure out that you can't leave the Shaman, the Zealots, and the Archmages alive while you battle the Orcs... well you get the point. I've been in too many battles which seemed to be filled with people not thinking just running to the front line to be killed repeatedly. Even when I /shout KILL THE HEALERS most of the team seems to be clueless. I guess they like dying?

It can be fun... and usually is. But it's at it's best when you have an instance or warband full of people who understand what the objective is and how the different classes function. How they gel together. Bad news is it appears 50% of those currently subscribing are just not trying to figure out their characters weakness/strength or how to apply tactics in RvR. They would much rather go running into battle like a mindless animal. That is why you see healers/wizards in melee and teams fighting an Orc that has two or three healers refilling him as fast as they can whittle him down.

My Orc regularly ties up three quarters of the Order side by himself while the Destruction side takes/defends flags. They may kill me but in the two to three minutes it takes them to do it I usually take out one or two of their weak and buy time for my team. Just as often they scatter and run back toward their spawn.

Great fun. Best RvR to date. Bar none. This game is to MMOs what RvS was to tactical squad based shooters. And these add-ons will make the game that much better. I'm not saying everyone should love it and loose their job and family to playing WAR. I'm just saying... me thinks thou doth protest too much!

This comment was edited on Oct 17, 2008, 23:50.

News Comments > Warhammer Online Patched
13. Re: In other news... Oct 16, 2008, 21:38 Paranoid Jack

Because sarcasm is the best form of comedy?

News Comments > etc.
6. Judge Not? Oct 13, 2008, 11:27 Paranoid Jack

I agree we shouldn't be so judgemental. But still he must know he's taken it to the extreme and beyond. And probably should seek counseling...

When it becomes more than just a game it's time to take action. Or start playing another game.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Interview
17. A mod to save the game, again? Oct 12, 2008, 15:07 Paranoid Jack

Funny you both mentioned references to one of my all time most wanted games... well has been for several years now. Yeah, Iron Tower is small and indie but the professional looking work and deep old school game they are making is something to rival any big studio. Just the funding is lacking. Though the game looks good it will never have the shiny like a big budget studio. Not a problem for us old school gamers because we'll eat up the depth, the choices, and their consequences.

If I'm not mistaken Oscuro's mod was worked on by Oscar now of Iron Tower Studio. And his work on Age of Decadence is looking better as time goes by. I keep hoping to see the game sooner rather than later but I know these guys are only going to release it when they are completely satisfied they have done all they can within their scope of limits. And yes, it will be a deep cRPG experience that has replay build right into it. In other words meaningful choices and consequences that limit your options and game-play. You won't be able to be a member of every guild. And back stabbing or betrayal will cut off quest options. Anyone who hasn't looked into it keep an eye out. I guarantee it will be worth the price of entry. And you'll be hearing more... tons more, when the game releases.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/

http://jorgeoscuro.googlepages.com/

Edit: Just spotted this on GameBanshee http://www.gamebanshee.com/editorials/ageofdecadencejtz1.php

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2008, 15:16.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Interview
11. Re: F3 reviews Oct 12, 2008, 11:25 Paranoid Jack

space captain, I couldn't have said it any better... so I won't try. I expect 95% of the reviewers to candy coat the game and rave about how it's the best game ever. So I'll just avoid reading them... since they are a paid for advertisement not an actual review.

I've got my pre-order in for the CE but I think WAR has pretty much stolen any excitement I had after seeing the longer chopped up demo from a month or two back. Has any new footage been released that shows anything positive? After reading that honest review it pretty much confirms the fears of all us raving Fallout (1 & 2) Fans. Though I tend to rave a lot less lately.

Anyway, now I have little to no excitement over the game. I almost feel like I am buying it due to franchise loyalty. Or maybe just to see how good/bad it is for my self and make up my own mind. Good news is unlike Oblivion I won't be going into it with the hype blinders on. I may even like it more... we'll see. Not that Oblivion was all bad. Just lacked heart and soul. I had hoped they would finally over-come their short-comings and figure out how to put life and depth into a game since they know how to put in almost everything else already.

Nefilim, please give us a better idea of the game-play. Some of the best and worst moments in the game? Without a lot of details that would ruin the story-line or other surprises... if that's possible.

Thinking WAR will slow my spending like WoW did all those years ago.

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2008, 11:34.

News Comments > Diablo III Movies
3. SshhH! Don't give them any ideas... Oct 10, 2008, 23:16 Paranoid Jack

"Blizzard on Battle.net Subscription, Diablo 3 Modding
by Nick Breckon Oct 10, 2008 7:58pm CST tags: Diablo 3

Diablo III director Jay Wilson said today that the company does not have a great desire to charge a subscription fee for the upcoming revision of its multiplayer client Battle.net. However, the developer did note that Blizzard will likely monetize unknown features of the game.

"We are going to monetize features so that we get to make them," said Wilson. "We kind of have to."

Wilson noted that whatever the content would be, it would have an appropriate value to users.

Fans of map hacking and other Diablo II modifications have little to look forward to with the sequel, as Wilson shot down any talk of mod support.

"We don't have a lot of plans to do that. It would make our lives so much harder" he said, adding that despite the fact that he and many other designers got their start in modding, the team takes a strong stance on what they call the "hacking" of their games.

Wilson also used the panel to reemphasize the trading aspect of Diablo III, saying that no items outside of specific quest rewards will be bound to players."

Saw that on ShackNews

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 2008, 23:16.

News Comments > New America's Army
9. In the first year of George W. Oct 10, 2008, 22:56 Paranoid Jack

Cheney (along with the rest of the Bush Administration) attended a three month training seminar hosted by Ozzy Osbourne. They were all taught how to properly bite the heads off bats, more than one way to skin a cat, and of course how to drown puppies and/or kittens.

But those were the easy classes. Other topics included, "How to Summons a Hurricane" ... and direct it toward the city of your choice. Also covered was, "How to ruin the US/World economy". Plus "How to fake a huge national tragedy". And the ever present "How to spend billions invading a country for their oil".

I know this is all true because Barack (and his supporters) told me so....

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 2008, 23:15.

News Comments > Warhammer Online Patch Plans
9. Am I Old School? Oct 9, 2008, 23:21 Paranoid Jack

I just open the bug report type in the gold/power leveling spammers character name then type in a quick sentence saying ad spamming for gold/leveling in chat via tells and hit send.

Glad to see them banning them as quick as they can buy copies to spam some more. At this rate the gold farmers will help fund the add-on.

edit: Damn, they are offering 20% bonus XP & Renown on a few of the newer servers in an attempt to get people to jump shit and play on them instead of the half dozen that are always max'd during peak hours. Nice move in an attempt to balance the servers.

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 2008, 01:58.

News Comments > New America's Army
2. Huh? Oct 9, 2008, 23:11 Paranoid Jack

Look Turddies, cheating with hacks in any game is lame. If you can't play and be competitive without the hacks you should just move along. Installing downloaded skillz is as low as it gets when it comes to Internet gaming of any kind. Cheating in a single player game is lame too in my opinion but then to each his own...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Damn we're all getting old... Oct 9, 2008, 01:42 Paranoid Jack

Thanks for being one of the best sites for gaming news for so many years. Hell, you've been doing this longer than Duke Nukem Forever has been in development... that's amazing!

News Comments > Free Full Spectrum Warrior
17. My Take... For What It's Worth Oct 4, 2008, 01:23 Paranoid Jack

A friend and I both bought Full Spectrum Warrior hoping to play it Co-Op.

First problem. Co-Op didn't work at all. We only once got connected for roughly five or ten seconds before the game disconnected us. Usually the games both crashed or never full connected. If I wanted to play with complete strangers it was about a 50% chance I could connect with somebody before a crash or disconnect from the servers.

Second Problem. No support what so ever for the game. After purchasing this game my friend and I repeatedly called tech support concerning our connection issues since we were able to play a dozen other games without problems. Tech support told us they had no info on the game because it was so new. Over a three week period we were repeatedly told that or something similar because they had no info on the game. I have since followed a strict ban/boycott of any purchases having anything to do with Pandemic. Now Biowares owns them...

Third problem. Brain-dead AI at times. Tell a trooper to throw a frag or shoot an enemy that is within five feet of him, popping in and out from behind cover like a trash dumpster, and he will refuse to do it repeated. This didn't happen a lot but enough to ruin the game-play for me.

There were other issues but those are the main reasons the game's name brings up bad feels toward Pandemic.

News Comments > Warhammer Online Patched
20. Best MMO to date. Oct 3, 2008, 01:18 Paranoid Jack

I'm loving it. And though it's not perfect it's damned fun. PvE is as good as any before it. Better than most. PQs add to that. But like everyone else has stated the PvP game is over the top. When your fighting to take a Keep or defending it and there are way over a hundred PCs & NPCs in the battle it's just tremendous fun.

There are lower level instances/dungeons in the cities also. Not sure how deep they are but I've seen them briefly before running for my life.

Has anyone noticed drops are better when grouping?

At one point during a PQ with a small Warband we were getting nice drops every dozen or so kills. And since then I haven't seen the items dropping so frequently. Yeah, a lot of the stuff is class/race specific but that is the nature of any MMO.

One of WAR's best achievements is that there is so much variety in their characters. They play so differently. Not just a different race with the same spells, buffs, and combat moves like other MMOs.

I'm very much looking forward to the add-on races/classes and areas. I plan on playing this on a regular basis for quite some time.

And if you think the low level RvR stuff is fun wait until you see the variety in the upper levels. Four tiers with three different types of RvR instances plus the huge RvR battlefield all over the game-world.

This game is not for the solo minded player though it still can be fun for those who enjoy mostly solo game-play. What I mean is WAR shines when you're playing RvR/PvP in a group. The larger the better...

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 01:22.

News Comments > Age of Conan Server Merges Coming
20. AoC Negatives/Positives Sep 30, 2008, 11:35 Paranoid Jack

I'll start a list though from my experience it was and is a good game. I had very few issues during and after beta. Compared to others it was a good launch.

Again not all of these are my views just some/most I remember from friends and others on these forums.

Negatives:

* Lack of high end content. Mid to high end levels only have one or two areas to level in and the quests available are not sufficient. I'd say you notice this trend about level thirty and beyond. Though some may notice a slight decrease in content beginning in the mid to high twenties.

* Being forced to repeat the Tortage area ever character. Some people would like to skip the Tortage area saying it was too repetitive. Not sure why but that was a complaint.

* Features listed on the box are not fully implemented. The PvP combat is in but the benefits and consequences have yet to be fully fleshed out. Maybe somebody else can add to this since I was beta and didn't read the box I'm not sure about other features that are supposedly missing.

* Game is a resource hog. Graphics look like ass on low end systems and the game chokes the CPU/GPU. Nothing new here. Most PC gamers know this one already. If you want to play the latest and greatest on highest settings you have to invest in your system or upgrade periodically.

* Most zones or levels are smaller not wide open. Like the old days of EQ the zones are walled in some instances. Mountains and other obstacles create a funneling effect. Instances/buildings are small and require portaling in. The developers had larger more connected levels (especially the underground areas) but broken them up and made doors that portal you between sections. This broke up the smoother game play and added to the disconnected feeling while playing/zoning between levels.

* Broken/bugged quests. I'll leave the details to those who want to flesh them out.

Positives:

* By far the best PvP combat of any MMO. Action and location oriented combat adds to the ultra violent content of the game world. I remember doing a lot of running because I was taking on higher level characters. Then I figured why run and die running? So I started standing my ground or using that ground to my advantage. I was pleasantly surprised to find out (depending on character types) I could take on two and even three opponents in PvP and kill most if not all of them. There were times I was taking on a pair of gankers two and three levels higher than me and winning just because I was active in the battle. Moving and taking advantage of location was key. Great fun.

* Great animations, finishing moves, character deaths are better than most MMOs.

* Some of the best graphics of any MMO if you have a system capable of showing them.

* Adult content to some extent less care-bear oriented questing.

* Full voice acting for the first twenty levels of game-play. Some of it may sound a bit cheesy to some but I thought it made the game stand out above the rest. Bad news is you miss it after leaving Tortage.

* Combat seemed a bit more random than most MMOs where all it takes is a glance at the NPCs level and type to determine if you would be successful. In AoC characters that are several levels below you can and will take you out if they get lucky and/or have skill in combat. This applies to both PvE and PvP from what I experienced. Though more so PvP.

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 11:43.

News Comments > WAR: What is it Good For? 500K Subscribers
64. I ate my Cat? Sep 27, 2008, 10:07 Paranoid Jack

Damn, my wife told me it was just stringy beef in that stew. Wait a second... we don't own a cat. And my Chihuahua is still sitting there on the floor shacking like a little meth addict. So who's cat is it? The neighbors? Good, I hated that damned thing... always pooping in my yard.

Funny how the gov't keeps trying the Jedi mind trick on us... "What recession? There is no recession." Then Dubya says he (the gov't) has to bail out all those crooked lenders who made bad loans to people who couldn't afford these houses that are vacant all over the place... not to mention they couldn't afford the couple hundred thousand cash-out they got on top of the home loan.

But it's all good. Out here in Cali those same people are buying a second house that they can afford before they foreclose on that huge loan they should never have been given in the first place. So we the tax payers can pick up the tab once again...

Ah, I love Capitalism.

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 10:10.

1723 Comments. 87 pages. Viewing page 33.
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo