Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paranoid Jack

Real Name Paranoid Jack   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Paranoid Jack
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.speedmatters.org/cwatest
Signed On Nov 5, 2001, 00:47
Total Comments 1746 (Pro)
User ID 11537

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Scientist says Alberta sun temple ha Feb 1, 2009, 22:56 Paranoid Jack

"I can't remember when I cared less about a Super Bowl in 34 years of watching them. "

You missed a great game if you didn't tune in. Two years straight... the NFL is on a roll.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Lord of the Rings Online Welcome Back Program
3. Re: Lord of the Rings Online Welcome Back Program Jan 24, 2009, 21:15 Paranoid Jack

Wish this was also a NA thing but oh, well. I'll be going back to LotR sooner or later. I bought the MoM expansion and the WotLK but haven't opened either yet. I'll be jumping into MoM first. I loved LotR Online but also got burnt out... it happens with everything, at least for me it does.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: 9 reasons why Blu-ray will succeed. Jan 20, 2009, 23:38 Paranoid Jack

I've got both Vista 64 and Win7 64 (beta) and at this time I would call it Vista v.2.0 though it does seem a bit faster. Still has a lot of pop up warnings but you can turn it down or off. Biggest problem is a fresh install won't let me install X-Fi drivers. The bug report tells me that it recognizes my card it just won't recognize that the drivers are the latest and work fine with that card. If you do an upgrade install of Win7 Beta just keeps all the old drivers and everything worked fine... well it was running a bit wonky (slow downs and freeze ups with IE) kind of like the Vista upgrade install. A fresh install runs great just can't game on it until I get those drivers to take. Too busy playing in Vista to mess with it at the moment.

I agree with the comment about Win7 should be a free upgrade for Vista buyers. Or if nothing else sold at a reduced price to those of us who bought Vista.

News Comments > America's Army 3 Announced
24. Re: America's Army 3 Announced Jan 20, 2009, 21:27 Paranoid Jack

Damn, it's bad enough you can't watch a half hour of TV without hearing about El Presidente but now we can't even read a game related thread here on Blue's without hearing about him.

The media has turned him into a celebrity superstar messiah of some kind. Of course he can't do any worse than the last guy but no way in Hell will he do a fraction of what people expect. They seem to think he is going to save the world. From what I do not know... nor do they... I suppose.

News Comments > Weekend Sales
28. Re: Weekend Sales Jan 11, 2009, 11:07 Paranoid Jack

That's the whole point of a combo pack. Get a great game and maybe a couple good ones with a stinker or two possible. The thing is you got them all for next to free. Try them out and decide for yourself what you like. Not like you're losing much but the time you invested into the game.  

News Comments > New Ghost Recon & Rainbow Six This Year?
22. Re: IP RUINED! Jan 8, 2009, 00:48 Paranoid Jack

I would give my third testicle for a proper Ghost Recon sequel... or even a remake of any old school Rainbow Six game using the old school mechanics but modern graphics.

The original GR and both expansions were awesome even if the expansions went hard core difficult. Picking a team then kitting them out and applying proper tactics to win each scenario was the 3D equivalent of playing JA to me. It was extremely enjoyable.

As far as R6 games go they were all kick ass. Up to Athena Sword. After that they were just ok. I hated to see RvS change the old formula because I knew the next sequel would become even more arcade-ish. RvS was the last killer Tom Clancy game and it gave me years of enjoyment. No other game has had such addictive team vs. team multiplayer. Though the early BF games and BF2 were good too.

Has anything else attracted and sustained a large community since those games faded? Is it just me getting older and transitioning into other genres? I wonder...

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
61. Re: Sacred Cow? Jan 6, 2009, 23:27 Paranoid Jack

I like how in order to truly embrace/experience Hd you have to use blu-ray. Give me a break.

Tumbler, do you have a reading comprehension problem or are you just stupid? Forgive me for being blunt but after your little tantrum I had to respond.

What you start your argument with is exactly what I just said. I admit you don't have to have BluRay. You can be perfectly happy with any of the other formats. I still see customers watching TV on 13" sets using rabbit ears. No cable. So they are perfectly happy with what they have. Even though it's a snowy fuzzy picture. I assume they have other priorities for their disposable income. Does that mean they would be correct by telling you that you are an idiot because you bought a bigger TV... not to mention you subscribing to Cable or Satellite?

Next time try reading and absorbing the details before going off on a short tirade stating opinions on products you don't even own. That you probably saw at that Evil local retail outlet.

As far as some of the other dumb things you said I won't even bother to respond. Jesus man, don't get butt-hurt because somebody has something that you don't have. Or because they prefers it over what you have. You sound worse than a fanboi.

Of course your reasoning about spending money frivolously applies to everything. Just remember the most important part. It all depends on how much money you have and what value you attach to the item in question. I hope this has been somewhat educational for you. Maybe you can learn to be less close-minded in the future. But I doubt it...

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2009, 23:30.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
45. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 5, 2009, 23:18 Paranoid Jack

My two cents?

I have all three platforms. The 360 is an original day one model never have/had any issues with it. The PC is one I built (pieced together)about a year ago. And the PS3 I bought a couple months back. All three are great at what they do. For gaming I prefer the PC and the 360. PSN just sucks compared to the Internet and Live. But the PS3 is well worth the money spent. BluRay is far superior to anything else. If you have the right set-up. And if you have the extra cash why not buy a PS3 over a stand alone BluRay player? Made perfect sense to me.

One other thing nobody has mentioned yet... the PS3 plays other DVDs (your burned DVDs) with no issues. Can't say that about the others. Hell, some PC DVD ROMs and DVD Players won't play home movies I've burned to Disc but the PS3 plays them like they are all store bought DVDs. You got to love that if you're converting old family films to DVD for family and friends.

Will digital distribution kill off rentals? Nope, never. Not going to happen in this generation and probably not the next either. It will take a bigger piece of the pie but not the whole enchilada (sorry I couldn't resist). So if you want the best quality for now BluRay is it. And before you start pointing your stubby little finger and yelling "fanboi" at your computer screen know this... I was a none believer myself. For years I always thought the display in BestBuy was more Sony BS. You know the one showing that half standard and half BluRay on the HDTV screen? I just couldn't believe the standard would look like shit like it does in that display. It does though... on an HDTV... depending on the format your watching it on. BluRay will always blow away HD programing and Standard Def up-scaled. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy the older formats. Just remember (like I told my wife) once you go HD/BluRay you can never go back. Well, you could but who would want to? It would be like losing your broadband and going back to 56k dial-up. Hell, I'd rather give up the Internet than do that.

I hope this added some more fuel to the fire or not. I will argue with anyone who wants to or needs to argue though.

On second thought screw that. I'm going to play a game...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Car shot by paintballs Jan 2, 2009, 14:11 Paranoid Jack

I've long thought Gallagher's (http://www.gallaghersmash.com/) idea was a great one. He proposed that everyone drives around with a paintball gun and when you see an idiot driver running a lite... or cutting you off... you shoot their car with paint-balls. Any Cop seeing a vehicle covered in paint splatters then pulls it over and gives them a ticket.

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 2009, 14:12.

News Comments > Unofficial Arcanum Patch
19. Re: Unofficial Arcanum Patch Dec 31, 2008, 20:21 Paranoid Jack

Well, actually, it is a bit different. For one, the dev cycles for Bethesda's games were considerably longer than those of Black Isle/Troika's. Secondly, Bethesda's games have huge budgets, many times that of Black Isle/Troika's combined. Thirdly, both Black Isle and Troika died a long time ago so they can't exactly patch their games anymore. Finally, Black Isle/Troika's games may have been buggy and unpolished but they were fundamentally great RPGs. The same can't really be said for Bethesda's games.

But hey, feel free to continue complaining about the hypocrisy and injustice of it all.

That last line made me laugh. Bad news? I had just taken a swig of beer and it shot out my nose. Good news? I only got it on myself... not my keyboard and thank the Gods, not my LCD.

Thanks for the funny follow up, space captain. I chuckled but had no beer in mouth to worry about.

Dagok, what show stoppers... do you remember? I think Jerykk hit the nail on the head. "Finally, Black Isle/Troika's games may have been buggy and unpolished but they were fundamentally great RPGs."

My New Years resolution is to finish BG then restart and finish another classic cRPG. Most likely Torment but maybe Arcanum we'll see.

Happy New Year to all! If you're out having drinks, please, don't drink and drive. Got to run... going out for drinks and dinner with the wife and daughters. Thanks again for the laughs. I needed them after thinking back over this past year. Peace.

Edit Again: Thanks for the info on those BG mods and patches.

This comment was edited on Dec 31, 2008, 22:44.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Postmortem
63. Re: Fallout 3 Postmortem Dec 31, 2008, 20:10 Paranoid Jack

I found that picnic area on a hill. But don't remember the number of Death Claws. I do remember that I was on top of a rock formation almost the same height and they couldn't path-find to me. Only one made it to the base of the rocks. The others kept taking hits and after a few seconds would go back to their routines of prowling the picnic area. I was crouched in sneak mode but mainly it was the buggy AI. That was one area I didn't bother to replay. Plus, I already had the schematic and found the item to be useless since I focusing in ranged stealth combat.

Happy New Years to all. Please, don't drink and then drive.

60. Re: Fallout 3 GOTY? Dec 31, 2008, 14:23 Paranoid Jack

Yeah, but if not abused it also made for the best moments of the game for me. I would sneak in lay a few mines in key locations. Toss a few grenades or head-shot somebody to get the entire crowd running and gunning for me. Then I'd fall back and kite them onto my mines or into lunch boxes. At least in that way I could play a sneaky bastard like I originally had intended for my character.

Speaking of which... the lunch box mine is how I took out the behemoth. I gimped him and then just ran around shooting him from just beyond his reach. Worse part about that area was they made it so confined. And the behemoth had ADD so if you got too far from his swing he would turn away and focus on some nearby NPC.

8. Re: Unofficial Arcanum Patch Dec 31, 2008, 14:14 Paranoid Jack

Yeah. and not to rub salt in any-one's wounds but... what if Bethesda bought the rights?

LoL, that would be too funny. At least Oblivion with Guns would fit better with the Arcanum canon.

58. Re: Fallout 3 GOTY? Dec 31, 2008, 14:05 Paranoid Jack

Like killing a Death Claw at level two just minutes after leaving the vault.

Really? That's pretty impressive seeing as how the Geck seems to indicate that zone 8 (the starting zone) can't start spawning those until you're level ... 12 IIRC. At least in the double digits. Did you just run straight northeast to zone 1? Quite a sprint to make in 2 minutes.

Ok, Creston. Come on down from your soapbox.

I replayed that segment outside of Vault 101 about ten different times to see how things would change. Several times I went right (along the roadway) after exiting the Vault and walked toward the billboard. Then over the canyon edge. Of those reloads... two times a Death Claw was there to greet me. The other times there were a pack of dogs. There's a body down there with a schematic. Can't remember which. And yes it was minutes (though not two) after exiting the Vault... and does it really matter what zone I'm in? If you're saying it's not possible try it yourself. Or I can Fraps you a video?

peteham,

I only used VATS a couple times. And disliked it so much I mainly focused on playing the game like a FPS. In that it was fairly entertaining when it wasn't crashing or locking up. But it became the norm to sneak near a target, head-shot it, and score an instant kill. I'd guess more than fifty percent of the time. And that was with that shitty hunting rifle. I went from not using it at all (early levels) to using it exclusively as my level went up. I only picked one perk as I leveled the rest I bought upgrades to my SPECIAL skills with. Spending most on strength since my character build wouldn't allow me to carry much.

I knew about the sound issues so I never listed to the PipBoy radio since it seems to cause a lot of issues for numerous players. Once I stopped using it I had far less issues but still far too many lock-ups and crashes. I may try to play on now that this thread has brought the game back to the forefront for me. I'd really like to finish it at least once and have a better understanding of the animosity the end brings for some players.

I went in not expecting much and that is what I got. So I enjoyed it more than if I had expected Fallout 3 to be more Fallout and less Oblivion.

6. Re: Unofficial Arcanum Patch Dec 31, 2008, 13:34 Paranoid Jack

This is one of the few games I am overly proud to have beta tested. And the only one which the developers had enough class to provide testers with a free retail copy.

Of course a lot was different back then. It was still several years before broadband was the norm. They didn't have hundreds of thousands of testers via the Internet. They actually sent you the beta portion of the game on disc. Hell, I can't even remember if there was a built in bug reporting system. I vaguely remember having to write up e-mails with all the details and such.

I really enjoyed the true cRPG elements (real character customization that mattered), the world, and story. I just wish they would have slowed down the combat speeds. On a newer system it seems even faster.

Still a great game over-all. A classic no doubt. And a true cRPG. Before the days when graphics ruled over everything else. When engaging story-lines, memorable characters, and great quests were the goal. Not the shiny...

39. Fallout 3 GOTY? Dec 30, 2008, 23:34 Paranoid Jack

No, sorry. It's a good adventure game at times with rare moments of good exploration but falls flat in so many other ways. I'll admit the NPCs aren't as annoying as in Oblivion but not by much. None of them stand out as real characters. Just flat, all of them. So yes, I wholeheartedly agree with that comment about them hiring a professional writer or three. I think that was the biggest failing of it all compared to the originals.

I gave F3 a fair shot and was having a reasonable amount of fun but the random crashes and lock-ups wore me down. I stopped playing it a few weeks after release. After the novelty wore off there was no reason left to reboot it again and again. I've been hoping ever since that a real patch would be released. Though now I'm not surprised to read about DLC before the game is properly patched. Happy for you if you're running it just fine. But look around... between the three versions there are issues with them all.

I will never buy another Bethesda game at full price. If anyone here ever reads a post of mine about a pre-order or buying another Bethesda game before or shortly after release please, please... hurl verbal abuse at me and quote this post to remind me of the "you've been fucked" feeling that I have right now.

The graphics did a lot but it still doesn't hold a candle to the originals when it comes to atmosphere, story (writing), or depth. So even with some of the best 3D graphics available it still falls on it's face in the character department. A great wasteland but not a Fallout wasteland.

So many things were just off. While playing the game I would pick up on them taking me out of the moment... constantly ruining that little bit of the old Fallout I was starting to feel. Like killing a Death Claw at level two just minutes after leaving the vault. I thought the start (character creation process) of Oblivion was horrible then Fallout 3 took it to new lows. I never ever want to replay that tutorial section before leaving the "safety" of Vault 101. What a lame way to start out an epic adventure. It all felt half baked to me. Again no charm or character. At least Oblivion had a bit of it the first time through the escape (the games beginning).

I think the best moments of F3 where all combat related. I played it in FPS mode because the horrid third person character animations were just hell to watch. And taking on a group of enemies was fun at times. I would reload and replay some areas a few times.

Will I look back and have as fond memories of F3 as the originals? Hell no! There will be far more negative than positive for me to remember. And I'm not one of those rose colored glasses types. I remember a lot of the warts from the originals too. But their charm and character by far over shadowed their negatives. I can't say that with F3. Not sure I could say that even if I could finish playing the game...

I'm not knocking anyone who is enjoying the game or loves it. Just stating my opinion and the way it played out here. It had a lot of potential but there were clearly a lot of corners cut. And not one above average quest during the hours that I play it. The poor writing is what made it an action adventure game depending highly on exploration. At least in Oblivion you had The Dark Brotherhood quest line.

News Comments > Baldur's Gate Retrospective
5. Re: Baldur's Gate Retrospective Dec 24, 2008, 00:58 Paranoid Jack

I loved both BG games but never finished either. I've always had a limited amount of game-time and even worse a limited attention span. I got side tracked on both games somewhere between thirty and fifty hours into them. I'd move on and go back to the games but couldn't pick up where I left off so I'd restart them and the vicious cycle would begin anew.

So the only complaint for me was that they were far too long. I realize some people prefer that type of game. One that can go on for hundreds of hours. For me that was their only down-fall. If they could have packaged that story into a fifty hour game I may have finished it. Oh, well. There have always been too many good games and not enough free time to play them all. Or finish most of them.

Still I am looking forward to Dragon Age. Very much so...

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge
14. Brigade E5 Dec 7, 2008, 11:12 Paranoid Jack

The worst thing about Brigade E5 was the line of site bugs at times targets near you were clearly in your line of fire yet the game wouldn't allow you to shoot them directly.

The best thing about Brigade E5 was I picked it up cheap as a clearance item. I think it was $10 or $20. I got my money's worth though I have never finished it I've restarted it three times and played a couple dozen hours. Getting a small squad together is difficult due to the high price of everything and little rewards but after assembling a group of four or five taking out an entire town is a blast.

I wouldn't recommend paying more than $10 for Brigade E5 and maybe $20 for the newer version, I'll retry the demo to Hired Guns before I pick this up as clearance someday. I have high hopes but expect them to be dashed.

No rush either way. Although I am in need of a good cRPG or TBS game at the moment I just have too many unopened PC games since buying a PS3.

News Comments > Activision: CoD6 "Speculative"
7. Re: Activision: CoD6 Dec 5, 2008, 01:03 Paranoid Jack

Because Activision bought Blizzard not the other way around?  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed 2 Talk
27. Assassin's Creed PC $10 at BestBuy Nov 28, 2008, 14:16 Paranoid Jack

Not sure if anyone pointed that out and I'm too lazy to read 25 posts to find out.  

1746 Comments. 88 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo