Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paranoid Jack

Real Name Paranoid Jack   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Paranoid Jack
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.speedmatters.org/cwatest
Signed On Nov 5, 2001, 00:47
Total Comments 1761 (Pro)
User ID 11537

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2014, 22:07 Paranoid Jack

Off topic but since I can't seem to find the link to e-mail Blue directly I thought I'd ask if anyone else is having spam pop ups, auto playing ads, and self installing programs from Blue's this evening?

I noticed right off the bat the ads have hijacked the site because they pushed the articles all over the place to make room for themselves. Then I checked my programs and found one was just installed from the site. It's labeled Weebsaavver.

Has anyone notified Blue?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 13, 2014, 22:20 Paranoid Jack

If you like Windows 8.1 you're going to love 8.5... err, I mean Windows 10.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Oct 8, 2014, 23:09 Paranoid Jack

Cutter wrote on Oct 8, 2014, 20:58:
So AT&T engages in mail-fraud and racketeering and is slapped on the wrist with a small fine? Ahh, US justice, the best that money can buy!

Always has been.

At first I was under the assumption they were addressing the cramming of long distance charges on landlines.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
8. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 8, 2014, 23:01 Paranoid Jack

What they should have asked was how many of them actually bought their phones and/or how many were given free phones as gifts?  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
73. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 6, 2014, 23:15 Paranoid Jack

Loving SoM even more than before. I finally started hitting the story quests and was able to kill off all the Warchiefs (except my plant of course) while also killing all but three or four new Captains than moving into the next map area. Having much more fun than any of the AC games. Once you've got the right ruins for your play style, have learned to use the environment to your advantage, and knowing when to run the game is much easier. Not a cake walk but then no button masher ever is if you have arthritis in your fingers. LoL

Thinking this is definitely in the running for a Game of the Year Award or two. I too would love to see them add much more to the game mechanics but am happy with this first entry into this genre. I could list a lot of improvements I would love to see and a great number of things the game does better than AC in my opinion but I'd rather get back to the game. Peace!

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 5, 2014, 13:27 Paranoid Jack

I'm loving SoM also but keep having multiple Captains popping into the combat area. The other day I was taking on four Captains before they took me down. Just a few minutes ago I was just fighting a level 4 Captain I had isolated with no guards but one and had him low on health so I wanted to dominate him... next thing I know my nemesis pops right next to me out of thin air.

I'm playing on the PS4 and the combat has ramped up drastically after I went on a two hour killing spree to grind some points. There are no difficulty settings I assume because the game ramps up the challenge for your play style. Now I'm thinking about a reboot because I find myself fighting dozen of enemies and multiple captains every time I try to accomplish anything.

Last I remember I was 19% into the storyline but I have the first three tiers unlocked on the available abilities. Wondering if I am just getting to old for these button mashers?

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Earns $1.5M
53. Re: Wasteland 2 Earns $1.5M Sep 24, 2014, 21:10 Paranoid Jack

Kudos to inXile for a fantastic throw back to the golden age of gaming. Old School Rules! Lost a party of five about twenty hours in and was very happy to start over. Having even more fun this time. Playing it hardcore. Perma-death with no reloads unless something funky happens. So far no crashes and no funkiness. Miss these type of games. Starting over is part of the charm. Picking different builds and skills changes things... what a grand idea! Read a few pages of a thread on Steam where some were complaining that they couldn't specialize in everything or most of it... too funny. This is not that game. Thank the Gods!

Sorry, but I had to laugh about the graphics complaint. Old school games were rarely about the graphics not that they weren't trying to push the visuals back then... anyway, for me gameplay trumps graphics every time. I can play a less than pretty game if there is that something special hidden inside. Not saying graphics haven't sold me on a game either. I've bought many shiny piles of shit of the years. One thing is for certain... games I purchased because they were beautiful and hyped let me down far more often then a slightly ugly game. To each his own.

Task wrote on Sep 24, 2014, 17:17:
PropheT wrote on Sep 24, 2014, 17:13:
Considering how good Fallout 3 was I don't really mind the switch anyway.

"Good" being subjective. I could list several things that aren't that great, but this list covers it.

But I guess for me I just could not get over how it just looked like an Oblivion (Gamebryo engine) Fallout mod.

Oh, man... I use to lurk on No Mutants and the Codex years ago. No Mutants was my favorite because they were less vicious. Had totally forgotten about the site. Thanks.

Quinn wrote on Sep 24, 2014, 13:30:
Off-topic since blue didn't react on the earlier e-mail..

Blue: Why do I almost always have to look on other websites for news about Lords of the Fallen? There was another gameplay vid released a few days back.

http://youtu.be/ZievCe5Zv-M

xD

I like what I see except the level design is lacking something special which is very important to me. The game looks fun but if the levels are all so similar I doubt I will finish the game. Still on the fence but almost ready to jump off in favor of purchasing. My main concern is all the great games coming out between now and the Witcher 3.

You've got Shadows of Mordor, Lords of the Fallen, Dragon Age Inquisition, Bloodborne, and the Witcher 3... all demanding my attention to some degree or another in the next six month. Yet I still need to finish Dark Souls 2 and the DLC, a complete run thru of Wasteland 2 though playing it hardcore is a blast, DoS, plus several Kickstarter betas and releases due soon. I'm not complaining. I love games. Just going to be hard to fit them all into my real life schedule.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Released
48. Re: Wasteland 2 Released Sep 22, 2014, 22:56 Paranoid Jack

Silicon Avatar wrote on Sep 22, 2014, 03:20:
To me it seems like surgery skill is almost mandatory because without it if you get the bleeding effect you will die. Maybe there are items that counteract the effect I haven't come across though.

Safecracking and lockpicking both seem useful but if you fudge up a lock on a gate you can always throw an explosive like TNT at it to take care of it (usually). Using items in that way doesn't seem to require any special skill to do (or maybe I'm just lucky).

I think I know where you might have gone and if it's where I'm thinking I had to run away fast. I haven't been back either.

You are correct even with the Surgeon skill I've lost people who were bleeding out. I started a new team trying some Min Maxing . Still have my old team to go back to but not sure I really want to.

Just like the remake of The Temple of Elemental Evil this game has short cuts and entire sections that can be skipped or missed plus going someplace your not ready for will get you killed. Some people don't like these type of games... with a ton of skill checks and hidden requirements. I love them.

News Comments > Dark Souls II DLC Delay
6. Re: Dark Souls II DLC Delay Sep 22, 2014, 18:14 Paranoid Jack

I haven't finished either nor the main game but I'm damn close. There is a mob early on in part two of the DLC that I would say is extremely hard with out a co-op player helping you.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2014, 10:21.

45. Re: Wasteland 2 Released Sep 22, 2014, 00:06 Paranoid Jack

Warning Spoiler Alert: Text Set to Secret. Highlight to fill in blanks.

Well, I just got my ass handed to me about twenty hours in. Lost my whole team to Slicer Dicers. I figured one would be a hard enough fight. Though while scouting the level I noticed a second. Well, there was a third hiding in the fog of war that I hadn't noticed. Man, can they jump. I'm thinking I got ahead of the leveling curve and the game had to smack me down. So many hidden secrets.

So far I'm seeing the following skills as highly important... well besides the obvious combat skills dependent on your characters build. First off Perception is something at least one of your characters needs and needs to level fast. Second Safecracking and/or Lockpicking provide in the neighborhood of ten to twenty five percent more loot found since there are lots of opportunities to use them. But if you have to choose between them I prefer Safecracking. Something I didn't pick? Demolitions which I now have to assume is used to disarm all those #$%#&!* traps?

So now I need to decide do I reload or play it hardcore and reroll. Great game so far. Not perfect but still pretty fantastic for a five million dollar game.

36. Re: Wasteland 2 Released Sep 20, 2014, 12:16 Paranoid Jack

harlock wrote on Sep 20, 2014, 09:28:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Sep 20, 2014, 01:47:
I'm pretty sure that "Red Boots DLC" is a joke....

i think thats a safe assumption considering when you click on the button it says "just kidding"

LoL, I never clicked it. Too funny.

I hope they're already well into the planning of an expansion or sequel since the game is a blast at this point. Though I know Torment is taking the majority of their crew. Yet you would have a safe bet if you assumed the next project is already being planned.

I've put about a dozen hours into it post release and I'm over the moon. I was worried at first and stayed away from the beta after a dozen hours of testing as not to spoil it.

So now that we know inXile can not only deliver but start a second project up (which looks amazing so far) I'm ready to help them fund the next one! Yes, they have restored and even polished up my tarnished faith in KickStarter.

30. Re: Wasteland 2 Released Sep 20, 2014, 01:47 Paranoid Jack

I'm pretty sure that "Red Boots DLC" is a joke....

Loving the game so far. Not the best tactical combat but far from the worst. Sometimes putting your guy(s) on Ambush outside of a bottle neck just makes sense. But I can see how it could be used as a crutch by those not up to the challenge. Ambush is not 100% either. Not sure if its an elevation thing or what but I've had team members not fire on enemies that clearly entered into their line of site.

Still its been a great KickStarter so far.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 20, 2014, 01:45 Paranoid Jack

Can they fix the finger print sensor not working?

Got the iPhone 6 for my wife. It won't register her finger or thumb prints. We tried for ten minutes before bypassing it. For some reason it just kept looping around asking her to do the same thing over and over again. Not impressed. But she loves it and that is all that matters.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 15, 2014, 10:24 Paranoid Jack

Blue wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 09:07:
We need Nielsen ratings for devices that can measure viewership because...?

It's all about the advertising dollars. Measuring viewers has mostly been about the selling of ads for decades now. The higher the number of viewers the higher the cost of the ads.

It may also be needed/used by the NSA to help profile the viewers...

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer
6. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer Aug 29, 2014, 23:42 Paranoid Jack

Quinn wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 21:05:
Task wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 20:09:
Can I actually PLAY as the Orc though? I haven't seen really one good LoTR SP RPG that has a tale from the Orc side of things.

That wouldn't be particularly interesting though, would it really? Orcs are pure evil and always follow orders from some other pure evil dude. And it's the cliche kinda evil -- the kind of evil that even the most homicidal psychopath would judge as such -- and not the kind of evil that's really just different perspective from what we've learned and experienced to be good. With this basic evilness, there can only be an interesting character born from it when it somehow has a conscience. A comparison most proper in this aspect might be the dark elf, Drizzt, in R.A. Salvatore's Forgotten Realms books.

Tolkien pretty much set them up that way. He didn't care to or didn't want to give them any real depth or purpose other than to be purely kill all humans evil. If you want more interesting Orcs you'll have to read Stan Nicholls' Orcs series. I've read several of his Orcs books and enjoyed them because Nicholls' Orcs are more like an Orc version of the Black Company. Though a better read in my opinion.

News Comments > Lords of the Fallen Trailers
5. Re: Lords of the Fallen Trailers Aug 29, 2014, 00:54 Paranoid Jack

I like what I see. I will be getting this one just not ready to pull the trigger on a day one purchase yet. From what I have seen the game looks like a blast. Just not sure how they are handling death yet. I assume it will be the usual respawn you at the last check point.

The problem is Dark Souls 2 (currently) on top of several recent KickStarter releases and betas. I've still got to play through The Last of Us again... Remastered this time. Then I would like to finish Watch Dogs but I doubt I will. You have Destiny in less that two weeks which I think I am going to pass on for now. The Shadows of Mordor the end of September. Less than a month later you have the game in question followed by Dragon Age Inquisition & FarCry 4 just three short weeks later.

Going to be a good Fall.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 28, 2014, 22:59 Paranoid Jack

Verno wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 13:18:
$150 for something people didn't want when it only added $100 to the bundle price. Maybe we'll get more $200 hard drive upgrades next.

We can only hope... but since most of us don't own the XBOne we're just SOL!

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 25, 2014, 23:38 Paranoid Jack

jdreyer wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 20:50:
I wonder if Comcast will pull the same crap with Steam that it does with Netflix.

I have U-Verse but kept hearing how green the grass was over there so I signed up with Comcast for a trial... after two weeks I gave up. They would block my access to Steam completely unless I used a proxy server. I tried several other distribution services like Origin and GoG... same thing was being done. Blocking the connection completely.

Their tech support tried to tell me some shite about my router was the problem because I wasn't renting theirs, my computer was infected, or possibly the site was illegal. I laughed at him. So I just unplugged from the cable modem went back to the DSL and canceled my trial. I can now get a faster speed with U-Verse at a lower price than Comcast was offering. Though they have recently raised the bar in some areas providing up to 100mbps. Still if you can't connect to the services you would use that speed with the most why have it?

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins
10. Re: Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins Aug 18, 2014, 23:34 Paranoid Jack

Just started testing. I just hope I can stop a few hours in. Like the Divinity Original Sin Alpha & Beta I only wanted to sample the game. I think I played about twenty hours total single and co-op of DOS. But I've been beta testing since the original Ultima Online. Sometimes its a great thing. Helping to better the game. And if its a game that is really good you won't mind playing it over and over again its even better. Thank the Gods we don't have to wait for a disc in the mail any longer.

I just downloaded and started to create a character and I must say I am sporting wood. Without spoiling anything the character options and overall feel of the game is just extremely reassuring. How awesome it would have been if they would have created all new races. So happy I backed them early... bought the boxed CE... even bought the first expansion as an add-on. I must say it feels very good knowing I had a very small part in bringing this game to the unwashed masses.

You're welcome... and you know who you are.

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 17, 2014, 16:54 Paranoid Jack

Icewind wrote on Aug 17, 2014, 16:32:
Quinn wrote on Aug 17, 2014, 14:48:
I'm loving Risen 3 so much! The graphics and animations look really good, combat is great once you get good in it (awesome to parry at the exact right moment after a streak of attacks so that your character ripostes with another hit), allot of places to explore and chests to lockpick, etc etc.

Risen 1 was great, Risen 2 was a shame, Risen 3 is great once again. I hear allot of people are complaining about combat being too hard. Some don't seem to understand that you don't need to keep holding the mousebutton in order to execute heavy strikes -- once your hand starts glowing and your animation turns into slowmotion, it's actually the que to to let the mousebutton go! Also, dodge or parry after an enemy dodges your attack because they're on you before your next swing lands.

Agreed. I am completely baffled as to how people are having problems with the combat. I'm an arthritic 38yr old who never plays action games and even I had to put it on hard to get a challenge from it.

The very slow rhythm to the swings, the wide riposte window of opportunity, the soft-lock focus attacking, it just really works really well. I HATED combat in Risen 2 and well, most PB games, really...but in here it works so beautifully.

I just ranked up in my chosen faction (Demon hunters) and I'd say this is my second favorite PB game, after Gothic 2 NOTR.

So glad to hear that people are enjoying it. I wanted to pre-order but felt burned last time around. So I decided with a little help from the DarkSouls2 monkey that is jumping up and down loudly on my back to hold off for a few months. For the most part I've been happy with the coverage I've watched on YouTube except for Angry Joe playing the game with Other Joe on Twitch. The gameplay looked fine it's just they both sucked at it and it seemed to me Angry Joe had already shit canned the game by the time I started watching the live stream. I almost created an account so I could log in and tell them to stop jerking each other off and play the damn game. I do realize he is also trying to be entertaining for his fans... still there was no way you could possibly enjoy playing a game the way they were carrying on. I usually feel he covers a game fairly but I lost some respect for him that night, no doubt.

1761 Comments. 89 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo