Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paranoid Jack

Real Name Paranoid Jack   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Paranoid Jack
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.speedmatters.org/cwatest
Signed On Nov 5, 2001, 00:47
Total Comments 1745 (Pro)
User ID 11537

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 6, 2013, 22:46 Paranoid Jack

Thank you both for the info, I appreciate it. I bought it after all.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 6, 2013, 20:26 Paranoid Jack

Does anyone have Dark Souls on both a console and the PC? If so is it worth getting on the PC if I already have it on the PS3?

I seem to remember something about the controls are bad unless you use a gamepad on your PC. I've been waiting for it to go on sale before taking a chance on it still I'm hesitant.

News Comments > Boxing Day Mobilization
6. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 26, 2012, 18:29 Paranoid Jack

Our company has done the same. Some techs have relied entirely on iPhones and iPads to do their work for several years already.

Now we are being given the iPad 2 instead of a newer version of the Tough Books which we have been using for the last ten years. Maybe its part of the new buy American thing? My guess... it has to do with tax right offs.

I've been off for more than a week now for the holidays yet I look forward to going back. One of my friends from work told me he spent the better part of three hours trying to activate it before giving up.

edit: To be fair it was probably the company spyware/crapware/needed programs that were not allowing him to log in and get to work. Still it was extremely funny to me because he is an Apple Fanboi to his core.

News Comments > Christmas Tech Bits
4. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 26, 2012, 18:16 Paranoid Jack

I'm thinking none of you took the time to read the first paragraph or two... maybe you only read the title?

The article is about removing pre-install software or crapware from a store bought PC or Laptop that shipped with W8. It's all good I do the same sometimes.

News Comments > Christmas Eve Screenshots
5. Re: Christmas Eve Screenshots Dec 24, 2012, 17:36 Paranoid Jack

I was thinking the same thing, nin. It looks amazing. And if they raise the bar again (as they usually do) it will be one of the years best games. Can't wait. Although I want it on PC I think we all know it will be six months to a year after the consoles. So I will dust off the PS3 or the X-Box for this one.  

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 24, 2012, 13:11 Paranoid Jack

Thanks again, nin.  

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 24, 2012, 11:00 Paranoid Jack

Does anyone else have Dota2 showing up as already owned... yet you can't remember purchasing it?

Then when you try to play it it says you are in spectator mode only?

How is it? Worth $15 at this point? Any opinions would be highly appreciated, thanks.

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 23, 2012, 14:29 Paranoid Jack

Kicking myself again for missing Dishonoured at 50% off twice now.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2012, 00:25 Paranoid Jack

The order was written incorrectly, which held things up, and the pesky order then defied several efforts to purge it from the system, when prevented anything else from happening.

I guessed it... nine out of ten times its the order being written wrong or an error occurring while the program is flowing through. Glad they finally listened to you then ripped and rebuilt it. A shame they didn't listen and try it soon though.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2012, 11:17 Paranoid Jack

Blue, I hope it will be resolved soon. You may want to have them active a new service/number and then when they figure it out have them port your old number over.

The telco giants are all the same. Not comforting, I know, but I suspect it is all part of a bigger problem. They have split their internal work groups into so many sections that nobody... except the most senior techs can get anything accomplished. Part of the issue is they are trying to work around or remove the existing regulations set in place by the government. The other part is that they are trying to kill off the Unions. So all their new products are deemed non-regulated and segregated to new work groups that are all contract employees with no benefits. And we all know that contractors that are not directly hired by you have no repercussions so they know no matter how bad their customer service is it will never come back to bite them.

Several years ago I would active dial tone over fiber with one call if it didn't automatically flow through when I activated the optical network terminal at the premise. Now I have to call or instant message between half a dozen and a dozen reps until I get one of them to stop passing me off or claiming its not their job. Last time I had an issue it took me three to four hours and two visits to the premise to get a second service working correctly.

I'm not one for bigger government but there is only one thing that is going to get the big three to stop putting share holders first... regulating the Internet. By which I mean data of any kind to include cellular services. Once they are facing fines/loss of revenue due to their poor management of the services they will be forced to improve or fix the broken support systems they have put into place.

I'm also stuck between the Union and company. I think the Union is a necessary evil and losing them would only effect us all in a negative way. Now if we could only get the Unions to wake up and see their demise correlates to their effectiveness. From what I have witnessed personally they have become as corrupt as the companies they are there to keep in check. Some of their leaders run their locals like mob bosses protected under the non-profit banners they wave every time they are caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

Anyway, Blue, you may find that canceling the service just to have them reactivated by a competent business office rep may also fix the issues. I've used that approach on several occasions. The trick is getting a rep willing to do it. Either way I wish you luck and remind you that once they have figured out their programing issues it will all be worth it.

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2012, 14:43 Paranoid Jack

Almost wished I would have bought something other than FC3. I'm having fun with it on occasion but its an arcade shooter that screams console port to PC.
/rant on
Wide-screen support seems an after thought... since its not true wide-screen being displayed. Even with FOV to 110 it feels as if you are playing inside a box with an overly large HUD even on high resolutions. The cut scenes and door interactions take you out of the action breaking the immersion. Why do so many developers feel its a good idea to have the characters view swaying all over like he is drunk? It ends up making me sick. If I were playing it as a console game and viewing it from across the living-room that wouldn't be an issue. But I am not. Whoever called this Skyrim with Guns should receive a hard swift kick in the crotch.
/rant off

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 2, 2012, 23:25 Paranoid Jack

wtf_man wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 11:24:
That's lanD line, not lan line.

Anyway... I switched to Verizon because they have better coverage in the areas the my wife and I go motorcyling in. My friends would always have near full bars, and would have zilch on AT&T. Plus they put LTE in our area a year ago.

So, for me it has nothing to do with customer service or price (I think they equally suck)... it has to do with coverage. The commercial is right (for me)... "It's the Network, Stupid!"

You're correct... but I didn't really mean landline. Though it does fit with what I was trying to say. I meant WAN line it just came out wrong. Still I hate the old terminologies since there are so many ways to supply what use to be considered a landline... like telcos referring to dial tone on fiber optics as POTS. It drives me nuts and it just doesn't make sense.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 1, 2012, 09:53 Paranoid Jack

Cellular phones were invented some thirty seven or thirty eight years ago (too lazy to Google it). The technology is great but never perfect. The quality of service still depends on location and the towers capacity. Not to mention the switching software and hardware.

So yeah, you can say one is better than the other... but they all still suck compared to a LAN line.

News Comments > Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads
33. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 21:30 Paranoid Jack

After reading this on their Android page I'm not so sure you get the whole EE game for $9.99. Seems you will be paying more after all...

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for Android Tablets contains the following enhancements:
•New Adventure: The Black Pits
•New Character: Dorn Il-Khan as an in-app purchase
•New Character: Neera the Wild Mage as an in-app purchase
•New Character: Rasaad yn Bashir
•New Player Voice sets as an in-app purchase
•New Player Portraits as an in-app purchase
•Multiplayer support between all platforms

edit: At least with the PC version you get it all for $20... no other in-app purchases required.

Sad that they won't let you buy the game and then let you play it on what-ever OS you care to. If that were the case I would be downloading it now.

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 2012, 21:38.

News Comments > Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year
4. Re: Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year Nov 7, 2012, 22:37 Paranoid Jack

Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 22:16:
Does anyone care? I sure don't. I think I'm pretty much done with Actiblizz now.

D3 was the last title I will buy from them. I may beta thier next big MMO... other than that I too am done.

72. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 22:33 Paranoid Jack

Prez wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 21:55:
That may just be the Beta Bats... the store page lists a price of $29.99

I noticed I had been given a copy a few weeks back. I downloaded it to find it was a "spectator copy". Its just some marketing ploy...

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Nov 4, 2012, 20:18 Paranoid Jack

I LMAO when I pictured him dancing in the parachute pants and singing... You Can't Touch This after Tweeting about his balls.  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
9. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 27, 2012, 23:14 Paranoid Jack

mystery8 wrote on Oct 27, 2012, 22:23:
What I don't get is how Apple or Google can press charges?

It was lost or abandoned due to negligence by their employee.

Soo... if I leave my cell phone behind somewhere and someone finds it, I can press charges of theft against them? Assuming they don't turn it over. I kinda doubt it.

Do you live in teh USA? This is where OJ got away with murder because he was rich... where the filthy rich can get away with practically anything... and the President has come close to doubling the National Deficit yet nobody really cares.

We are talking full on Crazy Train here.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned
46. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Oct 27, 2012, 01:25 Paranoid Jack

Creston wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 08:22:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 23:39:
Slashman wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 21:20:
If you ain't playin' on Ironman, then you ain't playin'!

I'd love to play Ironman but I'm worried the first time I lose a high ranking soldier to an alien shooting through full cover half way across the map I am going to scream so hard I'll have a brain aneurysm and fall over dead.

That only happens with any frequency on Classic and Impossible. It really just doesn't happen on Normal. They'll still make some crazy shots, but when they do you just giggle, because you know the alien had a 15% shot and took it, and made it. I sometimes do that myself because it'll be the only option left, and when I make it I just cackle with glee.

I don't mind the aliens trying the RNG and sometimes winning. What I mind in classic is that they just get a standard +40 to hit and +30 to critical. That's not a "difficulty level", that's a lazy developer's cheat.

Creston

I've been playing on Normal from the start and have been killed through full cover more than a dozen times. The one that was most outlandish was a shot length wise through a bread van (which is full cover) and side ways through a car (which is half cover) while my trooper was in full smoke. The kicker? The alien had no line of site even without the smoke. It was as if the AI was not seeing the van.

They added some kind of randomness on top of the to hit percentages. And that part of the calculation is just nuts. How else can a trooper standing one tile away miss an alien with a shotgun while having a 98% chance to hit. I know they want it to be hard like the original but even with the camera as it is its not hard to see when the alien has no LOS but has been given some crazy bonus to hit and literally can't miss even through full cover terrain that should block the shot. I hope they change the way the game handles those calculation in the sequel.

As far as my troops making the crazy shots... as they've leveled I have seen more shots ignoring LOS or just shooting through full cover. I rarely take any pleasure in the cheap shots because it just makes the game feel a bit off for me. Seems a lot of tactical games have issues with LOS. Maybe we will never play a game that is near perfect in that regard. Though I hate to give up hope.

Over all its not a huge problem for me. I'm still enjoying the game but wishing they would have made a few design choices a bit differently like relying more on good AI tactics to make the game a challenge and less on stacking the deck in favor of the aliens.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned
41. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Oct 24, 2012, 23:39 Paranoid Jack

Slashman wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 21:20:
If you ain't playin' on Ironman, then you ain't playin'!

I'd love to play Ironman but I'm worried the first time I lose a high ranking soldier to an alien shooting through full cover half way across the map I am going to scream so hard I'll have a brain aneurysm and fall over dead.

1745 Comments. 88 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo