Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paranoid Jack

Real Name Paranoid Jack   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Paranoid Jack
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.speedmatters.org/cwatest
Signed On Nov 5, 2001, 00:47
Total Comments 1760 (Pro)
User ID 11537

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam and DRM-Free Shadowrun Returns in June
14. Re: Steam and DRM-Free Shadowrun Returns in June Apr 10, 2013, 10:31 Paranoid Jack

Cutter wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 10:04:
Techie714 wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 09:54:
I'm so done with people bitching about Steam, it's my opinion you're not even a serious gamer if you don't have Steam. Considering like 80-90% of all games released are on Steam. Steam has pretty much been the standard now for many years.

Exactly. And seeing as you can play offline I don't see what the problem is. Honestly, I think the people who hate Steam are those ultra-paranoid conspiracy kooks. I'm grateful Steam exists. It makes things easy and cheap. Anyway, even though I'm not happy with the stylized look of the mobs I'm hoping the rest of the gameplay makes up for it.

Hey, some of us ultra-paranoid conspiracy kooks may take offense to that since even we aren't boycotting Steam for thier DRM.

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2013, 10:57.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Shroud of the Avatar Kickstarted
33. Re: Shroud of the Avatar Kickstarted Apr 9, 2013, 01:35 Paranoid Jack

I pledged low then went too high... but my last minute drunken pledge increase wasn't ok'd by the credit card company which is a good thing since my tired mind wasn't thinking clearly. I advised my wife the next morning how much I had pledged and she did her best not to blow a gasket. Then after breakfast I checked my e-mail to find the pledge was not authorized by American Express. She was very happy. So I'm in but wishing the house deeds were at a lower price point.

Also if you're looking for another nice looking European cRPG with turn based combat which ships with the editor here you go...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Editor Video Seeks Fresh Meat
8. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 30, 2013, 14:07 Paranoid Jack

Hey Zeus, these things are becoming a runaway train. Too many of them back to back. But like a runaway train it looks like a Hell of a ride. I can't keep funding these CE though... my wife is going to kill me. Not to mention we may be going out on strike any day now. Plus my truck just took $1700 to fix... yet still needs new tires and brake work. Wouldn't be an issue normally but the company is/has been pushing the work out (scheduling jobs for future dates) for the past two months now in an attempt to starve the employees of all over time they regularly would be working.

Anyway, it will all work itself out and I am down with funding yet another cRPG. It looks good. Wish I could get the CE box but unless we settle this contract soon I will most likely stick with a lower level pledge.

This game is a no brainer. If you want years of free modules in the form of user created adventures you can't go wrong. Not to mention the fun to create some yourself. Which can be more enjoyable than the actual game sometimes.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
17. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 25, 2013, 23:30 Paranoid Jack

He just wanted to join the list of developers who claim the mobile marked is the next big thing. Sorry, even if you buy the latest largest screen phone it's still the next little thing. Playing games on a tablet a bit better but phones? Forget about it.

The reason I am excited for the PS4 is because Dark Souls 2 (if that is the final name) will most likely be one of the release titles. Though from what I am hearing the games formula is changing somewhat from the originals. Taking a wait and see approach for the most part but still looking forward to hearing more soon.

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Adds Chris Avellone Goal
37. Re: Torment Kickstarter Adds Chris Avellone Goal Mar 23, 2013, 01:05 Paranoid Jack

(twirls his mustache) Muahahahahahahaha!  

News Comments > Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Funded: Adds Stretch Goals
5. Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Funded: Adds Stretch Goals Mar 19, 2013, 13:20 Paranoid Jack

I've been unsure the whole time... also due to the in game footage which threw me off. Then I remembered some of my favorite games of all time have had outdated grapics.

As far as this being Ultima Anything. Its not suppose to be a direct sequel is it? They are just drawing from his history and the past games. Have you checked out their video updated? It sounds better the more I hear about it.

And as far as the online options they sound great to me but they are just options. You're not forced to use it but my guess is that you will. Like I said the more I hear and read the more interested I am.

Either way if this goes south this will be my last go with Lord British.

From what I understand the game is a mix of genres. And it sounds great though I'm not sure how many of their promises will come out as good as they sound.

edit: My S3 sometimes cuts off the bottom of my post if I go back to edit or spell correct. Weird.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2013, 23:15.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 17, 2013, 18:42 Paranoid Jack

I've got keys too if anyone needs/wants one. Message ParanoidJack on Steam. Not sure how gifting works on Steam but it can't be too hard to figure out.  

News Comments > Evening Q&As
12. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 14, 2013, 00:59 Paranoid Jack

Cutter wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 00:37:
Kobalt wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 22:34:
Translation: someone more sucessful then us made a game we dont like so we are going to cry about it.

Clearly you never played Quake, UT, CS, et al.

I loved the oldies too. But my real love was for the Tom Clancy games. Where movement speed was slower and one bullet kills. You didn't need to shoot three rockets into the target to take it down. Though again I liked those early days of Quake. Hell, I would even put the first CoD multi-player in that category. It had slower more realistic movement.

You know what else ruined shooters? Letting people use third person instead of forcing them into first person at all times. When they started down that road they really lost me. I hated seeing people stick to a wall and watch a choke point from around the corner and then stick their gun out and shoot you from safe cover as you enter the hallway.

11. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 14, 2013, 00:46 Paranoid Jack

born2expire wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 23:30:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 23:14:
Translation: someone more sucessful then us made a game we dont like so we are going to cry about it.

All his points are valid. I agree with pretty much everything he said. The CoD games are fun to play but they are shallow. And as you get older you get to the bottom of that shallow a lot faster then when you were younger and just needed the adrenaline rush. CoD is the modern day Unreal Tournament.

i disagree, UT still took skill to kill, not full of claymores, auto turrets, bomber runs, ie anything that gives you kills without actually having to play the game, the randomness he talked about.

The reason it reminds me of UT is because of the overly fast movement speeds and UT had some of the craziest power-ups. Turning players into a speeding blur was one of them. So like the perks from CoD which give the top players even more kills where they can call down almost certain death from above.

All these games are/were fun. I won't argue they're not. I've even bought a couple of the CoD games for the multi-player. And I got my moneys worth for the most part. Did I log two or three hundred hours playing them? Not even combined. Because they give me that quick fix and then wear off just as fast. Which means I am ready to move on that much quicker than I would be with a game that has more depth.

And as far as ruining a generation of gamers? I think he's partially right that they want every game to play or feel like CoD but the other part is they just want instant gratification. Nobody wants to work for anything these days. They want to buy a new game and instantly have that familiar feeling that every CoD game has had for the past five years or more. They hate a learning curve.

7. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 13, 2013, 23:14 Paranoid Jack

All his points are valid. I agree with pretty much everything he said. The CoD games are fun to play but they are shallow. And as you get older you get to the bottom of that shallow a lot faster then when you were younger and just needed the adrenaline rush. CoD is the modern day Unreal Tournament.

News Comments > Numenera Details
13. Re: Numenera Details Mar 13, 2013, 02:20 Paranoid Jack

nin wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 01:21:
Have all of these charges hit your checking/credit account?

Nope, sorry, I edited the earlier follow up post. Thankfully they were all on the Amazon side only. I'm thinking they are posting duplicates though I can't remember changing my pledge three times for Eternity or twice for Numenera. Changed my browser settings to block auto log in. Only thing I can figure is when I looked at specific tiers early on the browser kept cookies because I know I didn't pledge multiple times. Either way I'm glad I spotted that now I know to keep an eye on Amazons site.

I'm happy with the look of these projects. Project Eternity, Wasteland 2, and Torment: Tides of Numenera are the pledges I'm most happy with so far. And the three I pledged the most too. Several others are looking like wasted money... even if they did help somebody achieve their dream.

I looked at Shroud of the Avatar again and even with the extra swag update the $150 price point to get the collectors box is just too much for me at this point. If the game looked better or the demos showed a bit more maybe I could be swayed but at this point I'm only willing to get in on the ground floor to give Lord British one more shot at redemption.

edit: Has anyone else here changed their pledges and/or seen multiple postings of bills on Amazon?

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2013, 02:25.

10. Re: Numenera Details Mar 13, 2013, 01:10 Paranoid Jack

I did the math, again, too... not counting the duplicate posts on Amazon I am out quite a lot of money with only one project that was release so far.

I only pledged $10 to that one to help them over the edge. Not even interested in the game after trying it out during the test stage before release.

Not sure I am ready to get as cynical as Cutter but I am nearing the end of my pledges for sure. I am hoping to see more soon from what I have spent already.

8. Re: Numenera Details Mar 13, 2013, 00:14 Paranoid Jack

@nin, Dude, I just checked my Amazon and the shit is not looking good. The rose colored glasses are coming off. I was triple charged for the Obsidian Project Eternity. I made one pledge and somehow I got three different charges applied. Going to ask my wife where the credit card statements are be back soon.

https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdui/index.htm

I got an email with this site address and logged in... follow the instruction below to see your backed projects. I hope you are not as surprised as I was.

To view or cancel existing payment authorizations:
1. Log into your Amazon Payments account by visiting https://payments.amazon.com/ .
2. Click on the "Edit Your Account Settings" link.
3. Select "Change my payment authorizations".
4. Click to select the authorization that you want to view or cancel.

edit: On Amazon it shows I was charged $335 for Project Eternity and I only pledged at the $140 tier. After my wife found the shoebox under the house with our old credit card statements in it (just joking) I verified I was only charged $160. Not the $35/$140/$160 that Amazon was showing. What a relief. Now I am left wondering if they sent out the surveys yet for Project Eternity and what I am picking for my extra $20 (over the $140 tier) pledge. I'm thinking the expansion pack.

I'm wishing now somebody could have video taped me freakin out over this whole thing so I could have posted it to YouTube.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2013, 01:04.

6. Re: Numenera Details Mar 12, 2013, 23:50 Paranoid Jack

Just FYI, I was checking my Amazon Kickstarter payment orders and somehow two orders appear for inXile the day I placed my pledge for this project. One for the amount I pledged and another for $40. Unfortunately I can't find much info other than the date and that its for inXile on Kickstarter. I've canceled the $40 pledge I didn't authorize and I'm closely watching the one I did. Very strange...  

News Comments > Arma 3 Alpha Next Week
17. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Next Week Feb 26, 2013, 23:50 Paranoid Jack

Thanks for that link DangerDog, looks much better than I had hoped, I'm interested now.

edit: I'm thinking the deluxe or supporter edition but I don't like the fact that they are saying there may not even be any DLC or add-ons while they're pitching it as a bonus for buying their support edition. But if you look at all the add-ons for ArmA 2 they had much more than the original game and it looks as if they may have finally made it a lot less clunky. Not to mention DayZ (the stand alone) is probably going to release on the new engine.

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2013, 00:27.

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 6, 2013, 22:46 Paranoid Jack

Thank you both for the info, I appreciate it. I bought it after all.  

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 6, 2013, 20:26 Paranoid Jack

Does anyone have Dark Souls on both a console and the PC? If so is it worth getting on the PC if I already have it on the PS3?

I seem to remember something about the controls are bad unless you use a gamepad on your PC. I've been waiting for it to go on sale before taking a chance on it still I'm hesitant.

News Comments > Boxing Day Mobilization
6. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 26, 2012, 18:29 Paranoid Jack

Our company has done the same. Some techs have relied entirely on iPhones and iPads to do their work for several years already.

Now we are being given the iPad 2 instead of a newer version of the Tough Books which we have been using for the last ten years. Maybe its part of the new buy American thing? My guess... it has to do with tax right offs.

I've been off for more than a week now for the holidays yet I look forward to going back. One of my friends from work told me he spent the better part of three hours trying to activate it before giving up.

edit: To be fair it was probably the company spyware/crapware/needed programs that were not allowing him to log in and get to work. Still it was extremely funny to me because he is an Apple Fanboi to his core.

News Comments > Christmas Tech Bits
4. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 26, 2012, 18:16 Paranoid Jack

I'm thinking none of you took the time to read the first paragraph or two... maybe you only read the title?

The article is about removing pre-install software or crapware from a store bought PC or Laptop that shipped with W8. It's all good I do the same sometimes.

News Comments > Christmas Eve Screenshots
5. Re: Christmas Eve Screenshots Dec 24, 2012, 17:36 Paranoid Jack

I was thinking the same thing, nin. It looks amazing. And if they raise the bar again (as they usually do) it will be one of the years best games. Can't wait. Although I want it on PC I think we all know it will be six months to a year after the consoles. So I will dust off the PS3 or the X-Box for this one.  

1760 Comments. 88 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo