Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paranoid Jack

Real Name Paranoid Jack   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Paranoid Jack
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.speedmatters.org/cwatest
Signed On Nov 5, 2001, 00:47
Total Comments 1734 (Pro)
User ID 11537

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
67. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 22, 2013, 14:46 Paranoid Jack

Redmask wrote on Jun 22, 2013, 11:52:
Beamer wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 20:26:
I doubt that's true. There's probably enormous scrambling, reworking of contracts, etc.

No, you're wrong sorry. It's just a day one delta patch.

Yep, I love this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xcXdWRJ-xb4#t=140s

edit: Marked it for two minutes twenty seconds but it didn't take on this video. Skip to the Major Nelson tap dancing part...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

65. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2013, 19:20 Paranoid Jack

Cutter wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 17:11:
Are you people all high on the marijuana cigarettes? Of course Sony will have them out the door for Xmas.

No doubts...

"Hello,

We have good news! One of your pre-ordered items is now eligible for release date delivery and has been upgraded at no additional charge. Your new delivery estimate is:

"Xbox One Console - Day One Edition"
Estimated arrival date: November 27, 2013

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department
http://www.amazon.com "

Rumor has it Sony is pushing their release date up. Let you know when I get the second e-mail from Amazon what it is.

As far as my User Name it's been my Online name from the mid-nineties before the world went damn near 100% Orwellian. So at this point if you are afraid somebody is monitoring your online activities you've been under a rock for a decade and a half. It's not a matter of "are they" monitoring us online it's a matter of "how much are they" and who.

Back when the second Gulf War (not any official governments title) started I played a lot of Battlefield with a clan. That version of BF had three armies. My clan had the Arabs (the fictional Middle Eastern Coalition aka the MEC) so while we were kicking the crap out of the other two armies we would smack talk them by saying stupid stuff like, "die infidels" and "jihad". Some of the clan leaders worried our game conversations would be flagged due to our use of those keywords. I'm sure they were flagged but as far as I know none of us were ever taken in for questioning.

The point? Don't sweat the shit you have no control of. There are far more things in life you have control of that you should be worried about. If I get the One I can bypass all their features by simply leaving it unplugged. Or if we like the voice controls for powering on and controlling our TV and accessing our content... well, then I can just place a cover over the camera. If I were worried somebody was watching. By the way if you have a laptop with a webcam you should be more worried about that. Not saying the same thing won't happen with the One but it's far less likely.

Just my two cents...

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 2013, 20:07.

49. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 20, 2013, 15:24 Paranoid Jack

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 15:03:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 14:51:
I pre-ordered both consoles.
Wow - didn't think I'd see anyone saying that. My prediction: At the last minute MS will reveal the 24 Hour DRM is still in the XBone. They'll say something like, "Removing would have delayed the release and we didn't want to do that."

LoL, yeah, well several reasons for that. When I picked up my day one release of the original XBox 360 it was already going for $1500 on eBay. I have two daughters. One was the Devil telling me to sell it. The other was the Angel telling me to break it open, "let's play". I told the Devil I didn't buy this to turn a profit I bought it to have fun. We opened it. This time things are going to be different. For one I have two Day One editions of both consoles pre-ordered. The other reason I don't see a Day One exclusive that is a must buy... at least not yet.

Shocked you guys didn't get the upgrade e-mail from Amazon like I did making mine Day One Editions. Though I doubt PS4 has a Day One Edition like the XBOne.

43. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 20, 2013, 14:51 Paranoid Jack

Two days after E3 started my local GameStop had already booked all thirty of their XBOne & PS4 pre-orders. On the third day they were allotted another twenty each. I pre-ordered both consoles.

The days before I had been monitoring Amazon but was thinking the pre-orders were not live because of some BS message from Amazon saying the servers could not be reached when the real problem was their software. If not logged in it fails to proceed and comes back with false info.

Anyway, by the time I logged in all Day One releases were gone. And they were showing release dates of 12/31/13 for all further pre-orders of the XBOne & PS4. I decided I could cancel the orders almost as fast as placing them so I placed two orders. One week later I got notices saying they had more Day One releases for both the XBOne & PS4 and I would now receive both as Day One editions.

I'm glad M$ backed down because I would have been hesitant to buy the console with those limitations. Even though I could have just as easily unplugged the power and covered the kinect camera (if I was worried about Big Brother).

I rarely borrow or lend a game. I keep 99% of the games I buy... so the black-market of used games was not a worry for me. And just to play the Devil's Advocate I thought it was ironic that so many people went bonkers over this after all the complaints about GameStop raping us for used games.

Yeah, if you play a ton of games and don't keep them for replay value then trading one in for twenty or so bucks allowing GameStop to turn around and sell it for five under the cost of a new one... well, go for it. The only used games I ever bought were no-longer available as new sales.

I wish M$ could have found a happy medium. Maybe allow trading of games with a limit of five or so with a requirement of the original purchasers user-name to link it all. Something like that could stop GameStop from leeching off the current system. More so for the studios then the publishers sake. Too many good games with short playthroughs have died on the vine because of the resale market via GameStop.

I say all this being primarily a PC gamer who won't pass up a great game on any platform I own. It's the reason I missed MS press release yesterday concerning their back stepping... I was playing The Last Of Us. Which is a fantastic game by the way. One of the best games I've played for sure.

I too was grabbing a torch and pitchfork when MS originally released their XBOne plans. But with yesterdays tap dancing I realize there is nothing different with this device than any other I currently use. Everything is being monitored in one way if not several. So I can always unplug the XBOne from power just like everything else not in use. I was going to skip the release and I still may. But for now I am in. Several of those exclusives looked very good.

Anyway, just my two cents...

News Comments > Morning Interviews
10. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 19, 2013, 13:29 Paranoid Jack

Creston wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 01:55:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 23:35:
They posted about that though, Creston. They moved all updates and community interactions over to their own website. Since then they have done numerous videos on what is happening with the development process. They show artists drawing concept art and hold a weekly Dev Chat.

Oh, they did? Well, that explains that then. I never saw that update, so maybe it was sent before I backed it.

Ugh, I wish they'd just keep updating through KS. I don't want to go to 15 different websites to check up on all the games I've backed. But that's my problem, not theirs, so I stand corrected.

Creston

You're probably better off. Between http://forsakenvirtues.com and their SotA site they have been bombarding me with e-mail updates. But like you said it's more my problem then theirs since I asked to be kept informed.

Very interested to see the demo footage of the game from the Rooster Teeth Expo in Austin. Only a few weeks out now.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
8. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 17, 2013, 23:35 Paranoid Jack

Creston wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 11:48:
Not really, but every single update is just another "Hey, we accept so and so now, so you can upgrade your contribution!"

They have a fucking LAY AWAY plan for people to reach the lord of the manor level (which costs like 10 grand) so they can have a castle in the game.

I backed him because, well, I've probably gotten about 2000 hours of enjoyment out of the Ultima sage, and any chance he can recapture at least some of that magic was worth the 30 bucks, but so far I'm starting to lean quite far towards calling it a fucking scam. They've posted ZERO progress updates on the game since their KS ended.

Creston

They posted about that though, Creston. They moved all updates and community interactions over to their own website. Since then they have done numerous videos on what is happening with the development process. They show artists drawing concept art and hold a weekly Dev Chat.

I do agree the lay-away plan to buy something you can't afford to buy in the first place is a bit much. But then the community asked for it. I doubt many people except the initial high level backers are purchasing those higher levels. I'd bet most of their lay-away purchasers are just buying a low level house.

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Trailers
14. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Trailers Jun 11, 2013, 15:14 Paranoid Jack

I have to agree I don't remember it (W2) being labeled as open world but large maps where you could freely roam.

Either way the W3 looks badass. If they can nail this with a large amount of content and add-on which expand on that they will give TES a run for it's money.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
11. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jun 9, 2013, 02:14 Paranoid Jack

Most of us have suspected for decades that our government has been monitoring us. Why this surprises anyone I do not know. It's been leaked time and time again. At&t had the secret rooms in San Francisco where data mining was done by our government. We all know the current US cell phone company's have programs built into their services that log all our usages. Our leaders have spent billions of our tax dollars on these monitoring programs. They have that huge facility in Utah being built that was exposed recently. And other smaller sites like the one in San Francisco.

Ironic then isn't it that they failed to stop the Boston bombings even after the Russian government agency warned them about the family that carried it out? Even if they held back some of the info they had. All the agencies and wasted billions didn't do a damn thing because some bureaucrats decided that they were not a threat.

Crazy, we draw closer and closer to Orwell's 1984... though it seems he was off by several decades. It's like a runaway train now. We are losing our civil liberty's and privacy's at an alarming rate. Scary shit.

News Comments > 7 Days to Die Announced
6. Re: 7 Days to Die Announced May 17, 2013, 12:58 Paranoid Jack

Looks good but can you go underground? Building an underground vault or hideaway would be cool and I'd think safer than staying above ground waiting for a herd to attack and bust into your hideout. Of course that depends... can the zombie or mutant AIs dig too? This might be worth checking out even if its just a better looking Minecraft meets DayZ.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Trailer
7. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Trailer May 2, 2013, 23:12 Paranoid Jack

Looks good but going into a MMO knowing you are the chosen one... just like every other player character running around the world? Well, it kind of breaks the immersion for me. Bad story arc design in my opinion.

I'm still looking forward to beta testing and hope they can break the mold by making a MMO that is again fun to play for more than a few weeks or a month.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
6. Re: Evening Interviews Apr 24, 2013, 23:16 Paranoid Jack

Not surprised that the crowd here is off the deep end tonight after watching both Fox & CNN news it seems a lot of people (and too many politicians) are out of sorts today.  

News Comments > BlizzCon Ticket Sales Tonight
5. Re: BlizzCon Ticket Sales Tonight Apr 24, 2013, 23:04 Paranoid Jack

i was going to say "who cares" but it seems three people beat me to it.

......... ooops 4 now.

News Comments > Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage
23. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 11, 2013, 22:54 Paranoid Jack

Demon Souls and Dark Souls are the best hack-n-slash action RPGs to date for so many reasons. I know they aren't for everyone. No game ever appeals to everyone. When I picked up my copy of Demon Souls at GameStop years ago there was a guy selling his day old copy back because he couldn't deal with the certain death of the game. It was too hard core for him. But if you think back most of the best cRPGs in the past have had that kind of tension. Knowing that you can die at any moment even fighting lesser enemies... that is the kind of immersion that so many games lack these days.

Repeating the levels to farm or gain souls is a pleasure in my opinion. Yes, they get easier because you know the layout and the enemies better yet any wrong move kills. Hell, if they just put out a new game every year with slight improvements (think Madden or any of the EA sports titles) I would still buy them all. So yeah, I am excited about Dark Souls 2, too. Even though I was hoping they would make the story and game world play out more like an ARPG.

And yes, if they could make the combat in the Elder Scrolls game even close to that of one of the Souls games they would have the greatest game ever created.

News Comments > Project Eternity Environment Trailer
21. Re: Project Eternity Environment Trailer Apr 10, 2013, 15:15 Paranoid Jack

Very nice. Can not wait to play it. So glad I helped to fund it.  

News Comments > Steam and DRM-Free Shadowrun Returns in June
14. Re: Steam and DRM-Free Shadowrun Returns in June Apr 10, 2013, 10:31 Paranoid Jack

Cutter wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 10:04:
Techie714 wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 09:54:
I'm so done with people bitching about Steam, it's my opinion you're not even a serious gamer if you don't have Steam. Considering like 80-90% of all games released are on Steam. Steam has pretty much been the standard now for many years.

Exactly. And seeing as you can play offline I don't see what the problem is. Honestly, I think the people who hate Steam are those ultra-paranoid conspiracy kooks. I'm grateful Steam exists. It makes things easy and cheap. Anyway, even though I'm not happy with the stylized look of the mobs I'm hoping the rest of the gameplay makes up for it.

Hey, some of us ultra-paranoid conspiracy kooks may take offense to that since even we aren't boycotting Steam for thier DRM.

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2013, 10:57.

News Comments > Shroud of the Avatar Kickstarted
33. Re: Shroud of the Avatar Kickstarted Apr 9, 2013, 01:35 Paranoid Jack

I pledged low then went too high... but my last minute drunken pledge increase wasn't ok'd by the credit card company which is a good thing since my tired mind wasn't thinking clearly. I advised my wife the next morning how much I had pledged and she did her best not to blow a gasket. Then after breakfast I checked my e-mail to find the pledge was not authorized by American Express. She was very happy. So I'm in but wishing the house deeds were at a lower price point.

Also if you're looking for another nice looking European cRPG with turn based combat which ships with the editor here you go...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Editor Video Seeks Fresh Meat
8. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 30, 2013, 14:07 Paranoid Jack

Hey Zeus, these things are becoming a runaway train. Too many of them back to back. But like a runaway train it looks like a Hell of a ride. I can't keep funding these CE though... my wife is going to kill me. Not to mention we may be going out on strike any day now. Plus my truck just took $1700 to fix... yet still needs new tires and brake work. Wouldn't be an issue normally but the company is/has been pushing the work out (scheduling jobs for future dates) for the past two months now in an attempt to starve the employees of all over time they regularly would be working.

Anyway, it will all work itself out and I am down with funding yet another cRPG. It looks good. Wish I could get the CE box but unless we settle this contract soon I will most likely stick with a lower level pledge.

This game is a no brainer. If you want years of free modules in the form of user created adventures you can't go wrong. Not to mention the fun to create some yourself. Which can be more enjoyable than the actual game sometimes.

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 25, 2013, 23:30 Paranoid Jack

He just wanted to join the list of developers who claim the mobile marked is the next big thing. Sorry, even if you buy the latest largest screen phone it's still the next little thing. Playing games on a tablet a bit better but phones? Forget about it.

The reason I am excited for the PS4 is because Dark Souls 2 (if that is the final name) will most likely be one of the release titles. Though from what I am hearing the games formula is changing somewhat from the originals. Taking a wait and see approach for the most part but still looking forward to hearing more soon.

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Adds Chris Avellone Goal
37. Re: Torment Kickstarter Adds Chris Avellone Goal Mar 23, 2013, 01:05 Paranoid Jack

(twirls his mustache) Muahahahahahahaha!  

News Comments > Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Funded: Adds Stretch Goals
5. Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Funded: Adds Stretch Goals Mar 19, 2013, 13:20 Paranoid Jack

I've been unsure the whole time... also due to the in game footage which threw me off. Then I remembered some of my favorite games of all time have had outdated grapics.

As far as this being Ultima Anything. Its not suppose to be a direct sequel is it? They are just drawing from his history and the past games. Have you checked out their video updated? It sounds better the more I hear about it.

And as far as the online options they sound great to me but they are just options. You're not forced to use it but my guess is that you will. Like I said the more I hear and read the more interested I am.

Either way if this goes south this will be my last go with Lord British.

From what I understand the game is a mix of genres. And it sounds great though I'm not sure how many of their promises will come out as good as they sound.

edit: My S3 sometimes cuts off the bottom of my post if I go back to edit or spell correct. Weird.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2013, 23:15.

1734 Comments. 87 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo