Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paranoid Jack

Real Name Paranoid Jack   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Paranoid Jack
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.speedmatters.org/cwatest
Signed On Nov 5, 2001, 00:47
Total Comments 1848 (Pro)
User ID 11537

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
6. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jun 28, 2015, 15:18 Paranoid Jack

"I thought it was a CIA surveillance device."

Glad I didn't have a mouthful of beer when I read that. I may be searching Amazon for a replacement monitor. That shit was funny.

People don't realize how some laws work... in California. You can't even trim your neighbors tree that is hanging over your property line without their permission.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Division Trailer
12. Re: The Division Trailer Jun 27, 2015, 11:58 Paranoid Jack

More interested in Ghost Recon Wildlands now... than this PR disaster.  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jun 27, 2015, 11:47 Paranoid Jack

Whew... dodged that bullet. I would have went balistic and thrown the Pip Boy through the monitor screen or out the window in a fit of rage.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2015, 12:21.

News Comments > XCOM2 E3 Trailer
16. Re: XCOM2 E3 Trailer Jun 26, 2015, 12:56 Paranoid Jack

peteham wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 04:29:
It should also be mentioned that they've admitted the E3 trailer/gameplay demo is slightly rigged for cinematic flair and expediency. The snake man/woman wouldn't actually get to use the grab move on the triggering turn, for instance (which would've been tremendously annoying).

A significant change for overwatch, if I've understood correctly, is that shots in XCOM2 are taken in sequence rather than all at once. So in the current XCOM, if you have six squad members on overwatch who all see the same enemy moving, they'll all fire on that enemy even if the first guy kills it - basically wasting five overwatch shots.

I noticed they fired on separate targets too. I hated that in the original. Firing on a dead target was annoying as Hell! I just hope you're right and that they tweaked a few more of the minor annoyances. Like the enemies popping in and out of visual range when you switched between players and enemies being able to see you through walls. The alien space craft were the worse for that. They could target you through the terrain and shoot you from other levels of the craft.

News Comments > Tales from the Borderlands Episode 3 Released
4. Re: Tales from the Borderlands Episode 3 Released Jun 23, 2015, 16:41 Paranoid Jack

Axis wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 15:56:
Episodics. Never bought one, doubt I ever will.

I hear ya, not easy to get into for me either. Still if you're going to buy one get one made by Telltale Games.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 23, 2015, 01:16 Paranoid Jack

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 12:31:
WaltC wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 11:38:
Sadly, I know people who don't blink at spending $500 for a 3d card but who won't spend a dime on an OS, even though the OS is what gives their games and gaming hardware some value. Go figure...;)

Right, they way they look at it, if they could get the HW for free, they would do that as well.

I do know one person close enough to me that won't buy anything MS anymore, doesn't need anything of theirs but the O/S, since most software they use runs under it.

Why do they do this? Because when GFWL was starting up, they needed to buy some points first to buy a game with said points. In GFWL on a PC they went to buy points for the game, they found out they bought X-Box points instead, they don't own a X-Box, GFWL poor re-directing design the culprit. They called MS and they wouldn't refund, there was nothing they could say and that balance would still sits there today. The company had no problem fooling someone and taking $10 for a product they were planning on buying from them, that can be looked at as stealing, really poor ethics for certain.

They swore they'd never buy from them again. So there's one story, right or wrong. I do live by the "who made who" rule, the issue started with their bad software and not refunding an honest mistake, the rest is reactionary from the the original sin. If I recall correctly they told them that square on the phone after it was established they were shit out of luck, something like "Your idiots, now I'm going to get way more out of you then the $10 you took from me". They did.

Right, wrong, whatever, their story.

Otherwise, I do agree buying an O/S every many years is a solid value.

I had a similar thing happen to me years ago on the X-Box 360. I had bought Live and had roughly eight months left before needing a new sub. M$ sent me an email offer to get two years for 33% off. So I logged in and bought it... for the wrong user name. Somehow the site sold me a Live account for one of the alt user names on my 360. Even though I had logged into their website with my X-Box 360 main user name/profile. Needless to say... I have never renewed Live since then and have plans to skip the XBone generation completely.

On a side note if rumors are true Sony has their next console already in development. So M$ may follow suit. Which would be unusual if both companies release a new system within four or five years of the current generations release.

As far as Windows 10 goes not really interested though I have reserved a free upgrade... yet I haven't even bothered to beta test Windows 10. I've beta tested their last four but didn't bother with 8.2 ...or whatever it was... since I hated 8 so much. From what I am hearing it is basically 8.5?

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jun 17, 2015, 22:55 Paranoid Jack

/yanks soap box out from under Slick, watches him bite the dust, snickers/

Seriously, are you saying that video game companies/publishers are never misleading their buyers? Never marketed a game one way and selling it missing features and/or graphics? That happens all the time. Take W3. They said open world. It is open world but with zones. A half truth... not entirely a lie.

What about Stand Alone DayZ? Being sold for $30 while the project has been stagnant and making very little headway to a complete game. Now Bohemia Interactive has another ArmA 3 expansion to roll out. You don't feel that was mistreating your customers or user base? Even if they bought into early access when a company stops supporting it before they've finished the product yet taken millions in profit that is misleading and a money grab.

News Comments > Dark Souls III Announced
8. Re: Dark Souls III Announced Jun 17, 2015, 01:43 Paranoid Jack

Oh HELL yeah! I love the Souls games. Wonder what the combat will be like after the changes made for Bloodborne? Between XCom 2, Fallout 4 (maybe), and Dark Souls 3 this year's E3 has been sweet.

I've never finished a Souls game until Bloodborne. Though I have been close repeatedly. For me, I've always approached them as I would a multiplayer game... you enjoy the game anyway you see fit. I'm near completing DS2 on the PC but now I have full version with all DLC on the PS4. Talk about a lot of content. The original game had huge amounts of content to explore and learn. So much variation in weapons, armor, and covenant gameplay. It was great. Then they added the DLC and then Scholar of the First Sin edition. You have a right to feel like you didn't buy the whole game at launch but your way off. It's a different game in my opinion. Some of the changes I like and just as many others I do not. But then I love the original DS2 on the PS3. Until Bloodborne it was my favorite by far.

Working on my fourth play through of Bloodborne while taking a break from the W3. And trying to dabble with DS2 SotFS on the PS4 but the control differences can be frustrating while trying to juggle W3, Bloodborne, and DS2.

News Comments > Bethesda E3 Showcases
10. Re: Bethesda E3 Showcases Jun 17, 2015, 00:18 Paranoid Jack

Sho wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 20:26:
Something about Doom feels a bit off. The enemies stand around very statically at times. I like the minimalist HUD/UI, though.

That is exactly what I was thinking while watching the F4 video. The character movements look clunky. Something about it just looked/felt off. Graphics look good but after F3 I think I will wait and see. I swear this time if I buy it on the PC and it crashes randomly every couple minutes you'll read about me being arrested outside their office when I go to visit them demanding a patch to fix it and/or to ask for my money back.

News Comments > New Sci-Fi RPG Revealed
2. Re: New Sci-Fi RPG Revealed Jun 12, 2015, 18:06 Paranoid Jack

I bought Lords of the Fallen but just couldn't get into it. Tried for more than a week. Just kept hoping it would be more like a Souls game and it just wasn't in my opinion. I will give it another try at some point but after Bloodborne it is going to be hard going backwards. Not to mention after CDPR's W3 I'm really looking forward to their Cyberpunk.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 8, 2015, 22:28 Paranoid Jack

Then: If you let us buy Bell South we will provide "broadband" to one hundred percent of our customer base. Promise.

Now: If you let us buy Direct we will provide "Internet" to one hundred percent of our customer base. We promise, no, really.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patched
22. Re: The Witcher 3 Patched Jun 5, 2015, 22:01 Paranoid Jack

Shocked that anyone would suggest skipping the dialogs. This game has some of the best writing, in-game cut scenes, and consistent quality through out. Yes, it is a huge game with unknown hours of dialog but why you would choose to skip it is mind blowing. I think most of the quest dialogs are great. With a nice variety from whacky strange, to funny, to sad, and even depressing. I've enjoying almost every minute of the game so far and I can't even tell you how many dozens of hours I have played. Just an amazing game.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 May 31, 2015, 14:07 Paranoid Jack

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is game of the year for me. Doubt anything will even come close. Not that I don't hope for more phenomenal releases it's just so obvious this type of game takes years of meticulous dedication by a highly talented team. Let's be honest. Most developers are not allowed the time by the funding parties or capable of pulling it off to this high a degree of success.

I agree the combat could have been better but that doesn't detract from the obvious level of quality this huge game achieved. Even with the scaled back graphics on the PC... nothing diminishes the simple fact this game is one of the best... if not the best RPG created.

edit: Sorry, to hear you're having issues. I know it sucks. I remember several games that people were raving about which just wouldn't run for me. F3 being the worst. It would crash within minutes or run ten or fifteen minutes before pulling the rug out from under me.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Loses Class Status; Drops Gearbox
28. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Loses Class Status; Drops Gearbox May 31, 2015, 13:52 Paranoid Jack

shihonage wrote on May 31, 2015, 04:34:
Todd Howard, is that you?

Sounds more like... Pete. Pete, is that you?

With His Crazy Ass Smile!

side note: F3 was torture for me also, literally. It would crash so often I never got more than a couple dozen hours into the game... even after building a new system it was still not stable though not as bad.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Loses Class Status; Drops Gearbox
18. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Loses Class Status; Drops Gearbox May 30, 2015, 12:17 Paranoid Jack

Cutter wrote on May 30, 2015, 02:18:
jdreyer wrote on May 29, 2015, 23:05:
harlock wrote on May 29, 2015, 22:50:
its better than everyone forgetting about it and pretending it never happened

at the very least, they were forced to acknowledge it did

This is a good takeaway. Other studios will say, "Well they got away with it, but it was a lot of trouble for them." I think it will have a deterrent effect.

No it won't. Like all white collar crime it's viewed as the cost of doing business. Nothing more than a write-down and a tax break in the end. This shit is ongoing because those responsible don't go to prison. Start slapping all these suits with 5 and 10 year terms on a regular basis and this shit will end the next day. Otherwise it's all just so much bullshit.

So true. Don Henley said it best, "You can arm yourself. Alarm yourself. But there's nowhere you can run. 'Cause a man with a briefcase can steal more money than any man with a gun."

This comment was edited on May 30, 2015, 12:22.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
13. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 28, 2015, 21:44 Paranoid Jack

gravity wrote on May 28, 2015, 08:41:
Paranoid Jack wrote on May 27, 2015, 21:50:
After eight years of Obama, seriously? Who had no experience in either politics nor business. Clearly he is in favor of more of the same?

No experience in politics.. save for that whole "Consitutional" thing, and community organization, short duration as a Senator, etc.

None of that counts in any way.

Better check into that. But maybe you're joking too? He had the schooling but no experience. Getting some classes behind you does not count as experience. Never has. You take one hundred university graduates with the same degree applying for a job. Who get's it? The one best suited for the job with real world experience.

And the time he spent as a Senator? Really? He only voted a few times. Calling that experience now? Community Organization? Ha!

NetHead wrote on May 27, 2015, 23:46:
...yet we still do most of our business with them?

Like you or anyone else has an option lol. If there's only a single country in the world that could crash everything by literally doing nothing it's China.

Yeah, I hear you. And we really don't have a choice. Trying to find things that are only made in America can be a task not worth taking on. Beside quality is what matters. As long as we get quality and they (the world leaders/banks) don't drive the world economy into the shitter again... maybe things will be ok?

Mikus_Aurelius wrote on May 27, 2015, 22:32:
it sounds dead on from what I know of the country. They pirate and reverse engineer everything. They have more rip off products than any other country yet we still do most of our business with them?

Welcome to how new powers rise. I live half a mile from the first powered textile mill in America. Know how we got it? A guy went over to Britain, visited theirs, memorized what he saw, and made a copy when he got home.

We basically stole the whole industrial revolution from Britain. We shouldn't be shocked that the tables turned once we got on top.

The sharing and/or borrowing of industry practice/standards is not remotely what is going on here. They steal intellectual property like no other country and allow it to be mass produced and sold in their country there by stealing potential profits from companies all around the world. This is not an us vs. them thing. Not to me. It is them playing by their rules with a stacked deck. To keep us in line they do their best not to allow the export of certain products but trying to get an even playing field for free trade into China is not an option. Yes, they are comparable to the US of the last century but only marginally. China is the worlds largest consumer now. But gaining access to their markets is not the same thing as them being allowed to gaining access to ours. In other words... legally going after a Chinese company for making the HiPhone is not really an option.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 27, 2015, 21:50 Paranoid Jack

Not that I care... but did you even read the article? So she stated her opinion and it sounds dead on from what I know of the country. They pirate and reverse engineer everything. They have more rip off products than any other country yet we still do most of our business with them?

The guy who wrote the article is claiming that her having no political experience is a bad thing? He must be joking and/or he is a huge hypocrite. After eight years of Obama, seriously? Who had no experience in either politics nor business. Clearly he is in favor of more of the same?

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 26, 2015, 16:17 Paranoid Jack

I don't think he was jailed for the actual cheating but more so for the illegal selling of cheats... though it's hard to make heads or tails of it with the way the article is written.

I would hope that to be the case. I think it's a good thing and I've wanted them to go after the actual creators of the cheats for years. Since they are reverse engineering and breaking laws by charging for the cheats this may be a good thing.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 May 24, 2015, 21:12 Paranoid Jack

I agree that the W3 has set a new standard as far as open world RPGs and gameplay goes. I am having the best time. Not sure I have ever had this level of enthusiasm for any RPG after playing this many hours before the W3. Like any game there are little issues. Gameplay mechanics that can get irritating. Bugs that can cause frustration. Even so... due to the story and the amazing gameplay I am hooked. Part of it is just the way it continues to unfold and expand. The game is constantly giving me more and I'm loving it. Enjoying the Hell out of it! Overall the quality is high and pretty consistent too. Though a few areas and/or moments showed a little less polish it didn't distract me much.

I understand that some are pissy about the combat but to me it is good enough. Not saying it couldn't have been better but if you can just get into it and realize you only lose control of Geralt for a few seconds at most while he preforms whatever attack you just made him do. If it wasn't an established well known character/brand then maybe they could have made it more like a Souls game or Dragon's Dogma. And that would have been amazing. But the Witcher doesn't use a shield and only has limited sorcery or signs. So it is what it is. I'm fine with it. Some people were saying the same things about Shadows of Mordor while complaining about the combat but I loved that game too.

Kudos to CDPR! They have become one of the best developers around and for good reason. Now back to my adventures.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patched
38. Re: The Witcher 3 Patched May 21, 2015, 20:28 Paranoid Jack

Retired wrote on May 21, 2015, 20:04:
KilrathiAce wrote on May 21, 2015, 19:51:
Can they patch the gameplay?
https://youtu.be/QIeEZeKN8JE

That guy is playing on Easy.
His attempt to be Angry Gamer or Yahtzee is very poorly implemented.

Anyone that has played the game knows that guy has no idea what he is talking about.

Like Angry Joe, I've lost respect for him. He can be entertaining but his opinion pieces are not reviews as he states and this one is little more than the ranting of a little child. Just listen to it. If he couldn't beat the Griffon on his first encounter yet somehow claims the combat is sword spammy? If that is not proof enough several other things he states show just how skewed his opinion is. He has several valid opinions but then chooses to rant off on tangents like a spoil child. He has every right to give his opinion but it is truly sad how he chose to do it. But then YouTubers are all about the views. It is how they make their money.

1848 Comments. 93 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo