Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paranoid Jack

Real Name Paranoid Jack   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Paranoid Jack
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.speedmatters.org/cwatest
Signed On Nov 5, 2001, 00:47
Total Comments 1859 (Pro)
User ID 11537

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
16. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 28, 2015, 15:05 Paranoid Jack

Some of you may have already seen this. I haven't logged into youtube for a couple weeks so I'm trying to catch up now. Sven Dinkel visited Angry Joe in Texas and they played Original Sin 2 in co-op.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63-ws3_jhx0

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 27, 2015, 18:53 Paranoid Jack

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 27, 2015, 12:42:
Cutter wrote on Aug 27, 2015, 11:24:
How is asking for more and better being self-entitled? That's all there is in this world. That's a phrase that gets thrown around way too often and for the wrong reasons. Oh there are cases where it applies but this isn't one of them.

Yes. Entitlement is only if you are asking for something for free. With a commericial product it is called customer feedback, not entitlement.

And S.S. isn't entitlement we pay into that, as a lot of other things.

Welfare... now we are getting into entitlement areas.

By the old definition, "the right to guaranteed benefits under a government program, as Social Security or unemployment compensation". Yes, we pay into those program. Well, most of us. When I say this is the Age of Entitlement I mean all those people who are not entitled but feel that they are. Like those people that would rather live off the system then work. Not those of us who actually pay into the system and pay taxes our entire lives. We are entitled because we supported those systems.

I won't even touch on the way those entitlements have become another form of welfare here is the US for those who have never put a dime into the system. Those that come here from other countries to retire collecting the maximum amount of SS because they got three relatives to sign a piece of paper stating they made top dollar someplace else. Let us leave that one alone.

I don't really care to go into all the reasons why people do what they do. Why they feel what they feel. Unless I know them personally I don't really care. Call me callus but life has made me this way. In todays society so many people's sense of entitlement encompasses far more than just their welfare and other aid the government gives them. A majority feel everything is an entitlement. When I am called out on a service call to repair something they own and they feel I should do that at no cost when I have zero obligation to do that yet they still expect it. They get offended when I quote them fees and advise them of charges. Isn't that a form of entitlement? Although a false one. I experience this numerous times a week. Sometimes several times a day. There is a deep rooted problem there. Anyway, in my original post I was loosely relating this. Gamers demanding it all and cheap compared to a large portion of our society expecting everything for free because they have the nerve to expect that.

So when people think they are owed a certain type of game, a game that they want... even if it is not the game the majority wants or that the developer themselves even want to make... well, they are showing signs of entitlement. Maybe it is entitlement in a broader sense but to me it is still entitlement.

6. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 27, 2015, 12:05 Paranoid Jack

Cutter wrote on Aug 27, 2015, 11:24:
How is asking for more and better being self-entitled? That's all there is in this world. That's a phrase that gets thrown around way too often and for the wrong reasons. Oh there are cases where it applies but this isn't one of them.

Seems you are reinforcing my statement a bit. You don't think they did enough with Original Sin? You want more than what they are promising with Original Sin II?

I agree we should ask for more or the best out of everything in life. But we seem to beat up developers over it while we give so many others a pass. (Look at our current political Administration and the several before it.) I am simply saying that Original Sin was/is far above average. Demanding more from them starts to cross over that line. Especially when you could have purchase it at such a low cost during the kickstarter and after it's retail release. It's like asking for AAA quality from an indie studio releasing a $15 game. D:OS wasn't much more than that and has been cheaper than that while on sale. In my eyes it's equivalent to buying a candy bar and expecting a steak dinner. It's just not being reasonable... not that people will ever become reasonable.

1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 27, 2015, 10:18 Paranoid Jack

I love these guys. You can't ask for more from any developer... though some people might think otherwise. We are living in the Age of Entitlement!  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 22, 2015, 18:31 Paranoid Jack

harlock wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 17:19:
not reading the list, but as someone who has to deal with it on a daily basis - im not happy about them keeping that GARBAGE UI from win8, where everything is so huge and spaced out that it takes a fucking scroll bar for a list of like 4 items.. its pretty fucking retarded they cant get that shit right, really retarded when windows from 10 years ago does the UI scaling and usability BETTER .. thats sad

its fucking sad dude, now lets hear someone spin it as awesome

My friend was telling me it's better than Windows 7 & 8... the best thing since sliced bread... but he is going on sixty and we all know you can't trust old people.

News Comments > XCOM 2 Trailer
28. Re: XCOM 2 Trailer Aug 21, 2015, 22:19 Paranoid Jack

Thanks for the responses. I soon realized the link at the bottom allowed me to bypass the payment options without selecting one. Just assumed it would not progress unless I had picked one. Too funny.

Anyway, about an hour after posting I was booting it up. Loving it so far. Adds so very much to the game. So many great Second Wave options too. I will probably donate just because these guys deserve it and to thank them for their work. Wish I would have know about this sooner though.

News Comments > 220M Grand Theft Auto Games Sold
4. Re: 220M Grand Theft Auto Games Sold Aug 21, 2015, 22:01 Paranoid Jack

Wallshadows wrote on Aug 21, 2015, 20:32:
That's enough money to make a Daikatana sequel!

But only if it is true to the original.

I'm thinking they will make a GTA VI?

News Comments > XCOM 2 Trailer
23. Re: XCOM 2 Trailer Aug 20, 2015, 23:15 Paranoid Jack

I'm interested in the X-Com EW Long War mod but not sure I want to subscriber to Nexus at a fee to test it out. Has anyone here played it? Is it worth the fee to get the latest beta? Thanks in advance.  

News Comments > COH 2: The British Forces Limited Trial Plans
4. Re: COH 2: The British Forces Limited Trial Plans Aug 19, 2015, 17:54 Paranoid Jack

I'm the opposite. I haven't touched the single player of CoH2 and I only play multi player, usually skirmish mode. Love the game, hate the way Sega turned it into a micro transaction mess. Yes, I know I shouldn't have but I have bought both Western Front Armies and the British Forces add-ons. I just want more variety and hope they add even more armies. Would love to see Japanese and Chinese. Maybe Australians and Italians too. I will keep buying new armies for $15 or less but I refuse to buy all the commanders at $4 a pop. The textures they can keep... those should all be free DLC in my opinion.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2015, 22:12 Paranoid Jack

It was one hundred and nine here yesterday. The forecast was for one oh three. Today was one oh three again. Still it has been a great year. I have never in the fifteen years in this house used my whole house fan to cool the house at night anytime during the month of August. I think I have used it seven or eight nights already this month. This year the temps are already dropping into the mid to low sixties at night which is perfect for the whole house fan.

A bit off topic but not by far. I hope their prediction of the worst El Nino on record hitting early next year comes true. It is going to be comical at work. We had a few storms early this year and they had us forced to work twelve hour days seven days a week until they realized they were breaking state and federal laws that kept them from doing that. The reason they got away with it was because I work for a utility company. So they are exempt from a lot of the state laws. Yeah, we have a Union, ha! It has been on life support for a decade. If I could I'd would rather give my money to a charity since the Union is more corrupt than anything.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 10, 2015, 22:00 Paranoid Jack

Crackdown 3 Shows What The Xbox One Can Really Do... 1080?  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
6. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jun 28, 2015, 15:18 Paranoid Jack

"I thought it was a CIA surveillance device."

Glad I didn't have a mouthful of beer when I read that. I may be searching Amazon for a replacement monitor. That shit was funny.

People don't realize how some laws work... in California. You can't even trim your neighbors tree that is hanging over your property line without their permission.

News Comments > The Division Trailer
12. Re: The Division Trailer Jun 27, 2015, 11:58 Paranoid Jack

More interested in Ghost Recon Wildlands now... than this PR disaster.  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jun 27, 2015, 11:47 Paranoid Jack

Whew... dodged that bullet. I would have went balistic and thrown the Pip Boy through the monitor screen or out the window in a fit of rage.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2015, 12:21.

News Comments > XCOM2 E3 Trailer
16. Re: XCOM2 E3 Trailer Jun 26, 2015, 12:56 Paranoid Jack

peteham wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 04:29:
It should also be mentioned that they've admitted the E3 trailer/gameplay demo is slightly rigged for cinematic flair and expediency. The snake man/woman wouldn't actually get to use the grab move on the triggering turn, for instance (which would've been tremendously annoying).

A significant change for overwatch, if I've understood correctly, is that shots in XCOM2 are taken in sequence rather than all at once. So in the current XCOM, if you have six squad members on overwatch who all see the same enemy moving, they'll all fire on that enemy even if the first guy kills it - basically wasting five overwatch shots.

I noticed they fired on separate targets too. I hated that in the original. Firing on a dead target was annoying as Hell! I just hope you're right and that they tweaked a few more of the minor annoyances. Like the enemies popping in and out of visual range when you switched between players and enemies being able to see you through walls. The alien space craft were the worse for that. They could target you through the terrain and shoot you from other levels of the craft.

News Comments > Tales from the Borderlands Episode 3 Released
4. Re: Tales from the Borderlands Episode 3 Released Jun 23, 2015, 16:41 Paranoid Jack

Axis wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 15:56:
Episodics. Never bought one, doubt I ever will.

I hear ya, not easy to get into for me either. Still if you're going to buy one get one made by Telltale Games.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 23, 2015, 01:16 Paranoid Jack

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 12:31:
WaltC wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 11:38:
Sadly, I know people who don't blink at spending $500 for a 3d card but who won't spend a dime on an OS, even though the OS is what gives their games and gaming hardware some value. Go figure...;)

Right, they way they look at it, if they could get the HW for free, they would do that as well.

I do know one person close enough to me that won't buy anything MS anymore, doesn't need anything of theirs but the O/S, since most software they use runs under it.

Why do they do this? Because when GFWL was starting up, they needed to buy some points first to buy a game with said points. In GFWL on a PC they went to buy points for the game, they found out they bought X-Box points instead, they don't own a X-Box, GFWL poor re-directing design the culprit. They called MS and they wouldn't refund, there was nothing they could say and that balance would still sits there today. The company had no problem fooling someone and taking $10 for a product they were planning on buying from them, that can be looked at as stealing, really poor ethics for certain.

They swore they'd never buy from them again. So there's one story, right or wrong. I do live by the "who made who" rule, the issue started with their bad software and not refunding an honest mistake, the rest is reactionary from the the original sin. If I recall correctly they told them that square on the phone after it was established they were shit out of luck, something like "Your idiots, now I'm going to get way more out of you then the $10 you took from me". They did.

Right, wrong, whatever, their story.

Otherwise, I do agree buying an O/S every many years is a solid value.

I had a similar thing happen to me years ago on the X-Box 360. I had bought Live and had roughly eight months left before needing a new sub. M$ sent me an email offer to get two years for 33% off. So I logged in and bought it... for the wrong user name. Somehow the site sold me a Live account for one of the alt user names on my 360. Even though I had logged into their website with my X-Box 360 main user name/profile. Needless to say... I have never renewed Live since then and have plans to skip the XBone generation completely.

On a side note if rumors are true Sony has their next console already in development. So M$ may follow suit. Which would be unusual if both companies release a new system within four or five years of the current generations release.

As far as Windows 10 goes not really interested though I have reserved a free upgrade... yet I haven't even bothered to beta test Windows 10. I've beta tested their last four but didn't bother with 8.2 ...or whatever it was... since I hated 8 so much. From what I am hearing it is basically 8.5?

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jun 17, 2015, 22:55 Paranoid Jack

/yanks soap box out from under Slick, watches him bite the dust, snickers/

Seriously, are you saying that video game companies/publishers are never misleading their buyers? Never marketed a game one way and selling it missing features and/or graphics? That happens all the time. Take W3. They said open world. It is open world but with zones. A half truth... not entirely a lie.

What about Stand Alone DayZ? Being sold for $30 while the project has been stagnant and making very little headway to a complete game. Now Bohemia Interactive has another ArmA 3 expansion to roll out. You don't feel that was mistreating your customers or user base? Even if they bought into early access when a company stops supporting it before they've finished the product yet taken millions in profit that is misleading and a money grab.

News Comments > Dark Souls III Announced
8. Re: Dark Souls III Announced Jun 17, 2015, 01:43 Paranoid Jack

Oh HELL yeah! I love the Souls games. Wonder what the combat will be like after the changes made for Bloodborne? Between XCom 2, Fallout 4 (maybe), and Dark Souls 3 this year's E3 has been sweet.

I've never finished a Souls game until Bloodborne. Though I have been close repeatedly. For me, I've always approached them as I would a multiplayer game... you enjoy the game anyway you see fit. I'm near completing DS2 on the PC but now I have full version with all DLC on the PS4. Talk about a lot of content. The original game had huge amounts of content to explore and learn. So much variation in weapons, armor, and covenant gameplay. It was great. Then they added the DLC and then Scholar of the First Sin edition. You have a right to feel like you didn't buy the whole game at launch but your way off. It's a different game in my opinion. Some of the changes I like and just as many others I do not. But then I love the original DS2 on the PS3. Until Bloodborne it was my favorite by far.

Working on my fourth play through of Bloodborne while taking a break from the W3. And trying to dabble with DS2 SotFS on the PS4 but the control differences can be frustrating while trying to juggle W3, Bloodborne, and DS2.

News Comments > Bethesda E3 Showcases
10. Re: Bethesda E3 Showcases Jun 17, 2015, 00:18 Paranoid Jack

Sho wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 20:26:
Something about Doom feels a bit off. The enemies stand around very statically at times. I like the minimalist HUD/UI, though.

That is exactly what I was thinking while watching the F4 video. The character movements look clunky. Something about it just looked/felt off. Graphics look good but after F3 I think I will wait and see. I swear this time if I buy it on the PC and it crashes randomly every couple minutes you'll read about me being arrested outside their office when I go to visit them demanding a patch to fix it and/or to ask for my money back.

1859 Comments. 93 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo