Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Zyrxil

Real Name Zyrxil   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Zyrxil
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 25, 2001, 23:23
Total Comments 759 (Graduate)
User ID 11452

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Obsidian Joins Skyforge Team
7. Re: Obsidian Joins Skyforge Team May 19, 2013, 16:40 Zyrxil

Why wouldn't it be? They're not the publisher. They do some contracted writing and world development, and whether the game thrives or fails, Obsidian still gets paid.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > 1666 "Suspended"
1. Re: 1666 May 15, 2013, 20:07 Zyrxil

Aka they rolled it all into Assassin's Creed IV and Desilets blew a gasket.  

News Comments > Watch_Dogs Free-Roaming Footage
2. Re: Watch_Dogs Free-Roaming Footage May 10, 2013, 17:54 Zyrxil

Now this footage looks far less faked, and is about par for 360/PS3 graphics. The real question is how detailed the world will be. I have strong doubts that they can give a significant amount of NPCs unique histories, routines, and interactions. Probably what it'll boil down to is an event generator that will randomly create variations on maybe 20 preset events in the area around you.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Mars War Logs
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mars War Logs Apr 26, 2013, 09:53 Zyrxil

Wait what, it's just out? I was under the impression it was still in development, and they were just beginning their publicity campaign.  

News Comments > "Most Challenging Game Ever" Kickstarter
11. Re: Apr 17, 2013, 13:41 Zyrxil

Hi, welcome to 2010, deger. You want something using Flash? The video is on the Kickstarter page. You want to try out the game? Indies use Unity.  

News Comments > Source Engine Steampipe Conversions
2. Re: Source Engine Steampipe Conversions Apr 2, 2013, 10:39 Zyrxil

Well, they hadn't invented hats yet in WWII.  

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied
31. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 23, 2013, 13:53 Zyrxil

Darks wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 09:19:
I donít see this being true, I donít know how anyone could possibly spend 200 Million on developing and advertising a game. You would be pretty much out of your mind to do that. I look at games and wonder how anyone could possibly spend 10 or 20 million on developing a game. Most likely this is just a rumor.

CoD:MW 3 had a 50 million budget and 150 million advertising budget.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched
22. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 12:16 Zyrxil

PropheT wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 12:10:
siapnar wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 11:39:
Anyway, different strokes for different folks.

I'm sure some people love this Aliens game.

I don't know. I like almost every game I play, and I've even had a little bit of fun with this one, but it really is as bad as people are saying it is.

I'd still ignore the game reviews for it, even though I wouldn't recommend the game to anyone. I've only looked at a handful of reviews, but most were similar to the RPS review where he starts off by noting how the game has been savaged by reviews. What kind of reviewer reads what people think of a game before they play it and review it? Not that it made him/her wrong in this case, but still.

Why would you interpret that as him having read what others had said before he played it? He was just acknowledging all the other negative press that had been released before his was published. He certainly played his own early review copy before all the other reviews hit yesterday.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched
20. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 12:07 Zyrxil

siapnar wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 11:39:
I remember the original Hitman getting 68% from PC Gamer Mag. I was stunned because the gameplay had absolutely blown me away.

I mean, you could kill a dude with fiber wire while he's taking a piss then dump his body in the sewer... one of my lifelong gaming dreams!

Anyway, different strokes for different folks.

I'm sure some people love this Aliens game.

That's a terrible example. I love Hitman, but for the first game at least 60% of the levels were downright awful, and I've never heard any Hitman fans deny it.

In any case, not everything is subjective. Bad textures, models, animations, dialogue, broken AI for both species, dated monster closets, and trackers that do nothing because everything inside walls is spawned in 10 feet away- those are all Objectively terrible.

News Comments > Legacy of Kain Returning?
3. Re: Legacy of Kain Returning? Feb 11, 2013, 10:18 Zyrxil

True, the 3d games didn't have standout gameplay, but they had one of the best plots ever written for a game. I also don't have much hope for that if they make another sequel- Tony Jay is dead, and Amy Henning is working exclusively for another company.  

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
1. Re: Saturday Consolidation Feb 2, 2013, 22:49 Zyrxil

Nintendo seems completely out of touch with Western sensibilities. The Japanese entertainment industry is the one that prices their region Blurays so expensively that re-importation became extremely profitably. They also like to keep the price of games extremely high because they believe sales and low prices make consumers less likely to buy due to perception that it has a lesser value.  

News Comments > Sleeping Dogs DLC Revealed
9. Re: Sleeping Dogs DLC Revealed Jan 30, 2013, 11:19 Zyrxil

They're starting to rival TF2 Hats with the amount of Clothing Packs they're putting out. There's not even any multiplayer so it's really excessive.  

News Comments > Three Dog on Fallout Tease Fallout
1. Re: Three Dog on Fallout Tease Fallout Jan 21, 2013, 09:45 Zyrxil

Oh gdamnit why??? Who was 3dawg popular with?  

News Comments > The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct in March
3. Re: The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct in March Jan 11, 2013, 10:49 Zyrxil

They're gonna go from no AI and next to no animations to release in 2 months? This is the type of shit that got THQ bankrupt.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Tease?
58. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 19:31 Zyrxil

Creston wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 17:58:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 16:34:
The Brotherhood of Steel is not supposed to be beacon of light and justice. It's supposed to be a secretive group of xenophobic elitists obsessed with technology

You do know that they explained that, in the game, right? That their head honcho basically abandoned their mission because he couldn't deal with seeing all the misery and suffering anymore, knowing they had the ability to help and never did.

Their entire DC faction split over that particular decision, which lead to the other guys (in the red armor, forgot their name) sticking with their old mandate and being pissed at the Brotherhood that stuck with the main Paladin.

It's fine if you don't agree with it, or that you think that nobody in the Brotherhood would ever betray their sacred commission, but don't make it out to be that Bethesda "didn't get" the Brotherhood. There's reams of discussions and computer entries over the head honcho's decision and the fallout from it.

Creston

That misses the point. It's not that you can't explain stuff away in a fictional universe, it's that Bethesda needed to turn that faction of BoS into super good guys. They needed the White Knights/BOS, Black Knights/Enclave, and Orcs/DC variety Super Mutants. That's just the level Bethesda's writing is at. It's not like it would've been impossible to have a story featuring a xenophobic BoS battling the Enclave for Genesis Project magic-terraforming tech, with say, hyper intelligent DC Super Mutants as the most civilized group of the Capital Wasteland.

38. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 14:39 Zyrxil

Well that's a limitation of the engine and no one ever said that wasn't terrible. It's better than hobos outside of all cities as donation karma machines.  

35. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 14:18 Zyrxil

TurdFergasun wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 12:15:
Zyrxil wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 12:06:
TurdFergasun wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 11:30:
Fo3 was a much more enticing environment to explore, and had memorable characters, as apposed to NV were i can't remember a single character or dialogue sequence. Republic of dave, uncle leo, three dog, and the music he spammed is still on a cd i play on a semi regular basis, with lots of dry humor that didn't need to slap you over the head with the punchline. Side quests were compelling, and rewarded exploration, and mission progress. NV just seemed like quantity>quality. Couldn't be bothered to get more than 1/2 way through. I'd compare fo3 to a witty british sitcom vs the average holywood cookie cutter show with the same jokes told with different faces over and over so no demographic feels left out.

Or you know, the exact opposite. FO3 had tons of empty Dungeons, I mean Subways to "explore". Characters were so weird and Krazyyyyy!!!, because that's obvious how you make good characters. SHUT THE FUCK UP 3DAWG. The 'humor' was juvenile and childish. Side quests rewarded slogging through indistinguishable locations, because that's what Beth's games are- Dungeon Crawlers. NV has depth of narrative. FO3 is the same as other Beth games- a two inch deep ocean with depth of NOTHING.

To summarize, you're a bad person and your dog hates you.

so what specifically do you remember from NV that made it so great, other than these generic terms you're throwing out? you sound like balmer describing every product he's ever released.

to summarize i am a bad person, and my cat has a taste for man flesh, hide while you can.

NV was better because of:

The world. NV had a realized world/region. Everything was believable, in the context of a universe where radiation causes deathclaws and mutants. You didn't have two guys shacking up under a highway with only Nuka-Cola to eat/drink (because hahaha isn't that funny and weird?). There were farms, water treatment facilities, politics, logic.

The quests. You had an impact. Characters and towns thrived/died due to your actions. More quests could be solved in multiple ways, not just a few that were shown over and over in magazine previews. The multiple quests solutions also made sense, and weren't just extremes made for shock value.

The characterizations. Just as everything else, characters were more believable. That's pretty much all down to far better dialogue, through which personalities were displayed. Caesar was amiable enough to talk to even if his ideas were never going to work for a society. On the other hand, the NCR was the obvious 'good guys', they did suffer from all the problems of bureaucracy and corruption that might eventually lead to a WW4. The motivations for all the factions made sense and weren't Black & White.

The plot. It was mature, and didn't have a dozen extremely obviously plot holes.

3Dawg. It didn't have 3Dawg. Shut the fuck up, 3Dawg.

Endings. It had actually endings showing the consequences of your actions.

PropheT wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 12:52:
Zyrxil wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 12:06:
NV has depth of narrative.

...Which was what, again? The story in NV was forgettable. So forgettable, in fact, that I'm sitting here trying to remember the narrative in the game and I can't. There's a guy who shot you, and you're trying to find him and kill him. You do that, predictably, and find out there's some factions who don't like each other. If bugs don't derail everything you do for them, there's an ending that happens.

Fallout 3's narrative was trying to find your father, chasing his trail elsewhere, finally finding him and then things go poorly. You take on the classic enemies of the Fallout franchise on a one-way path toward the end, where there's a pretty amazing battle with a giant patriot robot. There's Brotherhood of Steel, Deathclaws, Enclave, Super Mutants, and so on and they don't feel like just references to the series like in NV. The ending sucked, but they fixed it with DLC.

There really wasn't anything in NV that was great that wasn't just taken directly from Fallout 3. The new gameplay changes were done better in mods, the story was flat and uninteresting, and it was so buggy that it was almost impossible to finish.
What the hell are you talking about? The story of FO3 is a bunch of people racing to turn on a water machine that wouldn't produce a tactical advantage regardless of who turned it on. The impetus is your father having a midlife crisis and suddenly deciding to fix the machine, and incidentally no one ever thought about maybe getting the GECK briefcase before he did.

NV is the story of a political struggle, with your having been shot in the head serving as the motivation for finding out why your package was so important and how its purpose was to tilt the balance of power of the entire region. You become the kingmaker, and nothing is done by rule of cool. Yes fuck your inner 12 year old, and fuck your giant robots and 3 story tall Super Orcs. This isn't Bulletstorm.

22. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 12:06 Zyrxil

TurdFergasun wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 11:30:
Fo3 was a much more enticing environment to explore, and had memorable characters, as apposed to NV were i can't remember a single character or dialogue sequence. Republic of dave, uncle leo, three dog, and the music he spammed is still on a cd i play on a semi regular basis, with lots of dry humor that didn't need to slap you over the head with the punchline. Side quests were compelling, and rewarded exploration, and mission progress. NV just seemed like quantity>quality. Couldn't be bothered to get more than 1/2 way through. I'd compare fo3 to a witty british sitcom vs the average holywood cookie cutter show with the same jokes told with different faces over and over so no demographic feels left out.

Or you know, the exact opposite. FO3 had tons of empty Dungeons, I mean Subways to "explore". Characters were so weird and Krazyyyyy!!!, because that's obvious how you make good characters. SHUT THE FUCK UP 3DAWG. The 'humor' was juvenile and childish. Side quests rewarded slogging through indistinguishable locations, because that's what Beth's games are- Dungeon Crawlers. NV has depth of narrative. FO3 is the same as other Beth games- a two inch deep ocean with depth of NOTHING.

To summarize, you're a bad person and your dog hates you.

8. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 10:32 Zyrxil

Gdamnit, I would hope they would wait until they had a engine that wasn't utter shit. Also, unless Obsidian is making it, not interested.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Deep Eclipse
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deep Eclipse Dec 21, 2012, 12:07 Zyrxil

I can stand bad graphics. I cannot accept a really awful art style.  

759 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo