Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Zyrxil

Real Name Zyrxil   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Zyrxil
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 25, 2001, 23:23
Total Comments 743 (Apprentice)
User ID 11452

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 4 Tease?
35. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 14:18 Zyrxil

TurdFergasun wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 12:15:
Zyrxil wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 12:06:
TurdFergasun wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 11:30:
Fo3 was a much more enticing environment to explore, and had memorable characters, as apposed to NV were i can't remember a single character or dialogue sequence. Republic of dave, uncle leo, three dog, and the music he spammed is still on a cd i play on a semi regular basis, with lots of dry humor that didn't need to slap you over the head with the punchline. Side quests were compelling, and rewarded exploration, and mission progress. NV just seemed like quantity>quality. Couldn't be bothered to get more than 1/2 way through. I'd compare fo3 to a witty british sitcom vs the average holywood cookie cutter show with the same jokes told with different faces over and over so no demographic feels left out.

Or you know, the exact opposite. FO3 had tons of empty Dungeons, I mean Subways to "explore". Characters were so weird and Krazyyyyy!!!, because that's obvious how you make good characters. SHUT THE FUCK UP 3DAWG. The 'humor' was juvenile and childish. Side quests rewarded slogging through indistinguishable locations, because that's what Beth's games are- Dungeon Crawlers. NV has depth of narrative. FO3 is the same as other Beth games- a two inch deep ocean with depth of NOTHING.

To summarize, you're a bad person and your dog hates you.

so what specifically do you remember from NV that made it so great, other than these generic terms you're throwing out? you sound like balmer describing every product he's ever released.

to summarize i am a bad person, and my cat has a taste for man flesh, hide while you can.

NV was better because of:

The world. NV had a realized world/region. Everything was believable, in the context of a universe where radiation causes deathclaws and mutants. You didn't have two guys shacking up under a highway with only Nuka-Cola to eat/drink (because hahaha isn't that funny and weird?). There were farms, water treatment facilities, politics, logic.

The quests. You had an impact. Characters and towns thrived/died due to your actions. More quests could be solved in multiple ways, not just a few that were shown over and over in magazine previews. The multiple quests solutions also made sense, and weren't just extremes made for shock value.

The characterizations. Just as everything else, characters were more believable. That's pretty much all down to far better dialogue, through which personalities were displayed. Caesar was amiable enough to talk to even if his ideas were never going to work for a society. On the other hand, the NCR was the obvious 'good guys', they did suffer from all the problems of bureaucracy and corruption that might eventually lead to a WW4. The motivations for all the factions made sense and weren't Black & White.

The plot. It was mature, and didn't have a dozen extremely obviously plot holes.

3Dawg. It didn't have 3Dawg. Shut the fuck up, 3Dawg.

Endings. It had actually endings showing the consequences of your actions.

PropheT wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 12:52:
Zyrxil wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 12:06:
NV has depth of narrative.

...Which was what, again? The story in NV was forgettable. So forgettable, in fact, that I'm sitting here trying to remember the narrative in the game and I can't. There's a guy who shot you, and you're trying to find him and kill him. You do that, predictably, and find out there's some factions who don't like each other. If bugs don't derail everything you do for them, there's an ending that happens.

Fallout 3's narrative was trying to find your father, chasing his trail elsewhere, finally finding him and then things go poorly. You take on the classic enemies of the Fallout franchise on a one-way path toward the end, where there's a pretty amazing battle with a giant patriot robot. There's Brotherhood of Steel, Deathclaws, Enclave, Super Mutants, and so on and they don't feel like just references to the series like in NV. The ending sucked, but they fixed it with DLC.

There really wasn't anything in NV that was great that wasn't just taken directly from Fallout 3. The new gameplay changes were done better in mods, the story was flat and uninteresting, and it was so buggy that it was almost impossible to finish.
What the hell are you talking about? The story of FO3 is a bunch of people racing to turn on a water machine that wouldn't produce a tactical advantage regardless of who turned it on. The impetus is your father having a midlife crisis and suddenly deciding to fix the machine, and incidentally no one ever thought about maybe getting the GECK briefcase before he did.

NV is the story of a political struggle, with your having been shot in the head serving as the motivation for finding out why your package was so important and how its purpose was to tilt the balance of power of the entire region. You become the kingmaker, and nothing is done by rule of cool. Yes fuck your inner 12 year old, and fuck your giant robots and 3 story tall Super Orcs. This isn't Bulletstorm.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 12:06 Zyrxil

TurdFergasun wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 11:30:
Fo3 was a much more enticing environment to explore, and had memorable characters, as apposed to NV were i can't remember a single character or dialogue sequence. Republic of dave, uncle leo, three dog, and the music he spammed is still on a cd i play on a semi regular basis, with lots of dry humor that didn't need to slap you over the head with the punchline. Side quests were compelling, and rewarded exploration, and mission progress. NV just seemed like quantity>quality. Couldn't be bothered to get more than 1/2 way through. I'd compare fo3 to a witty british sitcom vs the average holywood cookie cutter show with the same jokes told with different faces over and over so no demographic feels left out.

Or you know, the exact opposite. FO3 had tons of empty Dungeons, I mean Subways to "explore". Characters were so weird and Krazyyyyy!!!, because that's obvious how you make good characters. SHUT THE FUCK UP 3DAWG. The 'humor' was juvenile and childish. Side quests rewarded slogging through indistinguishable locations, because that's what Beth's games are- Dungeon Crawlers. NV has depth of narrative. FO3 is the same as other Beth games- a two inch deep ocean with depth of NOTHING.

To summarize, you're a bad person and your dog hates you.

8. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 10:32 Zyrxil

Gdamnit, I would hope they would wait until they had a engine that wasn't utter shit. Also, unless Obsidian is making it, not interested.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Deep Eclipse
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deep Eclipse Dec 21, 2012, 12:07 Zyrxil

I can stand bad graphics. I cannot accept a really awful art style.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
45. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 11, 2012, 01:55 Zyrxil

Quboid wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 23:25:
Evidently I underestimated PopCap's popularity (genuine, at-the-time popularity) but I believe it was far from universal and I remain baffled by what looks to me like collective amnesia over the unpopularity of casual gaming back when sensationalist media thought it was the end of PC gaming again.

I suspect most of the people who didn't like PopCap didn't play any of their games, because, ew, they're casual games.

Anyway, my point has been utterly lost and I think it mostly didn't register at all. I apologise for failing to make this point clearly.

You never had a point. You were, to put it quite plainly, deluded about the facts. It's quite a simple chain of events to follow:

1. Casual games do have a reputation among more hardcore gamers for being cheap, disposable, lacking depth, and being exploitative (when it comes to ingame purchases with real money).

2. Those who disparage casual games often use Zynga and Farmville as examples of the worst of the worst. Zynga also has the reputation of cloning already popular games and then using superior marketing to make their clone the more popular game.

3. Popcap is a premier developer of casual games, however, their games do not have the reputation that other casual games have.

4. This is where delusion sets in. You link Popcap and the distaste for bad casual games in your mind, simply by virtue of Popcap being an extremely well known producer of the most popular casual games. It is however, Zynga that embodies all the qualities you describe when you claim that Blues and hardcore games in general have always hated Popcap. This is why others bring up Zynga repeatedly in the discussion, and yet you treat it as somehow further evidence that Zynga and Popcap are linked in the people's minds, and thus, have similar reputations.

5. In fact, what is actually true is that Popcap was the most well regarded casual developer among hardcore gamers, especially after Valve's promotion of Peggle with Half-Life 2. It is precisely because of their sterling reputation and profitability extrême that they were purchased by EA. EA saw the trend towards casual gaming, and they had made moves of their own with internal studios. They saw the opportunity for purchasing a juggernaut in casual gaming, perhaps considering it be "getting in on the ground floor" as the casual industry exploded with mobile gaming.

6. And we come to today- Popcap, a company not disliked by hardcore gamers, announces that it is planning a game apparently far outside their area of expertise. Well then the obvious connection is made by gamers- EA is once again forcing studios they have acquired to make extremely bad moves. The poor micromanaging once again sets Popcap on the same road to ruin that so many other beloved studios have taken after being acquired by EA. And you, monsieur, take that to be evidence of a mental hypocrisy, something hated becoming beloved by virtue of it being the victim of something more hated. You have externalized some vague internal discontentment, lashing out without reason or principle. You wish to see the hypocrisy? Look inside to yourself.

Addendum: I've been watching a lot of Agatha Christie's Poirot recently; all of the above is best read with a dramatic fake Belgian accent.

News Comments > L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition Patch
10. Re: L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition Patch Nov 29, 2012, 20:56 Zyrxil

I thought it was great. Not amazing and perfect, but still very fun. Atmosphere counts for a lot to me, and I do love detective stories. Still, it's undeniable that the Interrogation system is flawed and the storytelling methods used (flashbacks, third person omniscient cutscenes) were bad.  

News Comments > Dishonored DLC Next Month
11. Re: Dishonored DLC Next Month Nov 27, 2012, 13:40 Zyrxil

Acleacius wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 12:45:
Zyrxil wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 11:28:
What? What the hell are you talking about? It's a Trials type DLC, very common. What does it have to do with the ending?
In the context of what I was saying, challenge maps are a copout from adding new content; i.e. branching story or different perspective ala Half-Life Opposing Force/Blueshift. Honestly don't care how common they are it's just a quicker release. It's more of a moneyplay for people who just buy dlc site unseen. There are people who just want to mash buttons and there are people who want to be entertained and/or learn something along the way.

Maybe it's just a difference of what platform you play on, until Horse Armor developers actually had to release new content good or bad. Many of us are still laughing at the idea someone was trying to charge us for Horse Armor. Att most experienced gamers were having nothing to do with it, but console gamers ate it up like a drug. Now we have challenge maps.

That's as close as I can get without spoiling the ending for those whom haven't finished.

You're completely rambling. First you complain that they designed new maps for this DLC instead of using it for story DLC, then you say it's a quick release ala Horse Armor, and finally you mention the ending again claiming to have explained things without actually saying anything.

7. Re: Dishonored DLC Next Month Nov 27, 2012, 12:04 Zyrxil

There will be another DLC involving Daud's son. Trial maps are fine. Perhaps overpriced, but it's a great for letting players play creatively with the powers.  

4. Re: Dishonored DLC Next Month Nov 27, 2012, 11:28 Zyrxil

Acleacius wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 11:14:
I was thinking DLC couldn't get any worst, than stripping parts out of the game to sell later. Too bad they didn't use these maps for a new story.

This is why many of us had major problems with the ending cutscenes.

What? What the hell are you talking about? It's a Trials type DLC, very common. What does it have to do with the ending?

News Comments > Hotline Miami Sequel Revealed
17. Re: Hotline Miami Sequel Revealed Nov 27, 2012, 09:34 Zyrxil

A sequel already? Weren't they just talking about an expansion DLC? Maybe it was extra-expanded into a sequel I guess.

Fantaz wrote on Nov 26, 2012, 19:29:
This game is highly overrated... hell, I can make a game like this if i wanted to all by myself (without the music of course).

So do it. I feel like complaints about the success of relatively simple games to be like complaining about modern art because you don't really understand it. 'Wtf, Pollock is just throwing paint at canvas, I could do that.' The whole is more than the sum of its part- they put HM together and made the whole package work very very well. Without the music HM would be nowhere near as satisfying to play.

News Comments > Mirror's Edge 2 in Development
9. Re: Mirror's Edge 2 in Development Nov 21, 2012, 12:29 Zyrxil

Creston wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 11:19:

Too bad all the cheating cocksuckers of the world feel the need to have their piss-ant dipshit names at the top of a leaderboard even though a braindead fucking monkey can see that they cheated to get it.
Hey, I legitimately made global top 50 times on around 5 of the maps. Obviously, I am an unstoppable keyboard parkour god!

Really though, they did delete those fake times for a while. I imagine the support petered out as the playerbase did. If when ME2 comes, Origin is still a thing, I imagine it'll be integrated somehow like BF3 leaderboards are. In that case, the very least EA can do is Origin-wide leaderboard account bans, so any hacked time bans the account from showing up on any leaderboard in any EA game.

News Comments > Hero-U Funded
2. Re: Hero-U Funded Nov 20, 2012, 11:42 Zyrxil

Why? The proposal was incredibly weak. They should've done like the Anachronox guys- realize it's not just a free cash grab for them to play with in the name of nostalgia, shut the whole thing down, and come back later with something more solid. As it is now, I think they have an extremely high chance of failure.  

News Comments > Last Day for Hero-U Kickstarter
2. Re: Last Day for Hero-U Kickstarter Nov 19, 2012, 12:31 Zyrxil

Sell me on this. Why should I risk even $20 on a team who last worked on games 12 years ago? This seems like just another "Hey remember that thing you loved 20 years ago? Here's a huge list of vague promises, give us lots of money." project. If they wanted to make games, they've had plenty of opportunity since then. Or is it that they think they're too good to make a $30k game for release through an Indie publishing channel?  

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Trailer
10. Re: BioShock Infinite Trailer Oct 21, 2012, 23:11 Zyrxil

If nothing else, they sure do know how to make a great trailer.
nin wrote on Oct 21, 2012, 13:48:
On the one hand it looks neat, but it also pretty much looks like a reskin of Bioshock (esp the opening scene, as the boat approaches a lighthouse, while the player looks at personal effects).
That's obviously an intentional callback to Bioshock 1 used to contrast where the lighthouse leads (up vs down).

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dishonored
22. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dishonored Oct 10, 2012, 09:38 Zyrxil

InBlack wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 05:24:
Dishonored 15 posts on Blues (not counting my own). XCom over 80...

I do realize that Blues is an oldschooler site, but Im hoping that XCOM sells at least as much or even more than Dishonored as that will guarantee some kind of expansion or even a Terror from the Deep....

That's terrible of you. This is basically Thief 2 with magic abilities and even bigger levels. It just doesn't have an old school name.

News Comments > Project Eternity Kickstarter Adds Wasteland 2
4. Re: Project Eternity Kickstarter Adds Wasteland 2 Oct 8, 2012, 21:58 Zyrxil

This is...odd. What miniscule percentage of Project Eternity supporters weren't already funders of Wasteland 2?  

News Comments > More Project Eternity Goals
5. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 2, 2012, 11:18 Zyrxil

Why isn't Amazon payments a good choice? Granted Paypal probably has a higher userbase of people who use it for sending payments, but given all the horror stories about Paypal, and the fact that the userbase of 'people who've ever bought something on Amazon' is quite large, it doesn't seem like a bad choice at all.  

News Comments > XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person?
18. Re: XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person? Oct 1, 2012, 15:03 Zyrxil

All we had was a setting and a few cool monster effects. I can't fathom that being loathsome.

The monsters were absolutely loathsome. Who thought floating boxes and splashing black slime would be good enemies? I really liked the faux 50s aesthetic when it was first revealed, but everything else was bad.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Dishonored
3. Re: Gone Gold - Dishonored Sep 29, 2012, 12:44 Zyrxil

Assasin's Creed meets Darkness meets Fallout? Confused....

Thief meets Deus Ex meets Bioshock 'magic' plus an extra dose of steampunk.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/dishonored/

News Comments > Nexus 2 Kickstarter
4. Re: Nexus 2 Kickstarter Sep 28, 2012, 11:41 Zyrxil

Yeah, I don't know why it has a cult following either. It was very pretty and seemed to have an interesting universe behind it, but as an actual game it was fairly mediocre.  

743 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo