Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Zyrxil

Real Name Zyrxil   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Zyrxil
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 25, 2001, 23:23
Total Comments 743 (Apprentice)
User ID 11452

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Darksiders PC Plans
1. Re: Darksiders PC Plans Mar 30, 2010, 15:37 Zyrxil

Interesting, and fairly unexpected. It kind of feels like if God of War and Zelda were suddenly announced for PC /rimshot.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Map Pack Released
37. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Map Pack Released Mar 30, 2010, 15:28 Zyrxil

Drezden wrote on Mar 30, 2010, 15:04:
All this crying about the M60 and I really don't see what the problem with it is. I don't use it, I did when I first unlocked it till I got gold. But the weapon I use as a medic 100% of the time is the MG36. I don't see a reason for using the M60 after unlocking the MG36
You get a free red dot scope on it, more rounds, and with magnum bullets it does enough damage to kill in 2 or 3 well places shots. I have a freaking field day with that weapon every game. It's not the M60 thats the problem, it's people not bothering to use other weapons and find their advantages. I use the MG3 with a Red Dot and Magnum Rounds just for fun and kill just as many people, go through ammo a hell of a lot quicker unless you're running with an assault but it's still funny. I just don't understand why everyone is dogging the M60, there are several weapons the medic gets that are devastating if used correctly.
The problem is, other players are grounded in reality.

The MG36 has the same number of bullets per belt/box as the MG60, and does 60% of the damage of the M60 at all ranges. Your idea of killing with 2 or 3 bullets with magnum on the MG36 is mathematically impossible. The minimum amount of bullets the MG36 would require for killing someone at 10 feet, even factoring in magnum rounds, is 6. The MG60, with magnum rounds, will kill anyone, at any and all ranges, with 4 shots. Without magnum rounds, the M60 can still kill with 4 bullets at 10 feet and with 5 bullets at ranges of 180+ feet.It also has less of a kick.

The only advantage the MG36 has is a slightly higher fire rate, which does not make up for all its other deficiencies in practice. None of the other MGs can compare with the MG60's devastating damage and accuracy. At the very most, some people might decide they want a 200 round belt and take the T88/M249, but that's a rare choice given that supply boxes exist and it's not that hard to find time to reload.

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Map Pack Released
6. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Map Pack Released Mar 30, 2010, 10:43 Zyrxil

There's rather an awful lot of 4x scope M60 in the video. Maybe they're trying to say something  

News Comments > On Mouse DPI
20. Re: On Mouse DPI Mar 25, 2010, 10:19 Zyrxil

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 24, 2010, 23:51:
This is, without a doubt, the best input device ever created. I've used them for years, and I fucking HATE it whenever I am forced to use a regular mouse. They feel archaic and they require a ridiculous amount of desk space. I could never get used to the pick-up-and-drag of a mouse again, and the wrist strain alone is enough to switch.
A major point of the mouse is that you're not just using a single goddamn finger. I fucking hate using just one finger, whether it's for a touchpad, trackball, or gamepad.

News Comments > Spy Hunter Movie Writer Hired
3. Re: Spy Hunter Movie Writer Hired Mar 23, 2010, 15:07 Zyrxil

Yosemite Sam wrote on Mar 23, 2010, 13:45:
Spy Hunter? really? of all the video games made hollywood looks to spy hunter for a movie. Whos the genius who figured this was the game of games that needed to go big screen... I bet my bottom dollar who ever made this decision knows nothing more about the game then the title 'Spy Hunter' ... of course these days I guess a plot that fits into one paragraph is right up thier alley.

Well it's basically a big-screen flashier Knight Rider, isn't it? Plot: you have a super-agent with an awesome car that can do impossible things. That's a mindless summer action flick right there.

News Comments > Geneforge 4 Sales Figures
8. Re: Geneforge 4 Sales Figures Mar 23, 2010, 01:55 Zyrxil

#1 This article is one year old. March 17, 2009

#2 It's easy to armchair theorize, "Oh, sell it to me for $5, I promise you you'll triple your profits." He's a 1 man and 2 part timer operation, and if he lowers his price and it doesn't work, he's out $100k.

#3 He already addressed the price issue:
http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-many-games-i-sell-part-two.html

A lot of people have commented that I should lower the game's price to $10. The idea that this would increase my profits is, I feel, purest nonsense. Bearing in mind that the percentage cost of credit card processing increases as the price goes down, and, to make the same profits from Geneforge 4, I would have had to triple my sales. Triple! As in, go from a conversation rate of about 1.5% to almost 5%. This is just not realistic.

Or, to put it another way, Geneforge 4 was the game where we raised our prices to $28. Our sales did not go down from Geneforge 3 (which was $25). They went up. A lot. And Avernum 5 ($28) sold a lot more than Avernum 4 ($25).

The Indie games market seems, pricewise, to be on a full speed race to the bottom. I will deal with this in more depth in a later post, but take this one thing away: I charge a fair price. I write big, good games (with 30-40 hours of gameplay, easy), and they easily provide enough fun to more than justify the $28. I will not be shamed into charging less, not when my dollars and cents bottom line is telling me that it's working.

News Comments > Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Patch Notes
8. Re: Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Patch Notes Mar 21, 2010, 02:01 Zyrxil

Creston wrote on Mar 21, 2010, 00:21:
Gave in and bought this. I have to say the SP campaign is very good, with a few caveats :

- It's nice that I can import my crew from the original game, but what's the point if I don't get to take my items with me, AND my abilities get re-distributed? With regards to the items, it's actually all the WORN items that don't seem to get taken along, whereas the stuff in your inventory ports over fine?
What game are you playing? All my stuff imported fine, and all my assigned talents are the same. The only exception is the Terminator armor, which you can't wear until it gets "repaired" during the plot.

This has nothing to do with an RTS anymore. It shouldn't even be CALLED an RTS anymore. I don't even bother giving anyone cover, since there's no point. Just stand in the open, shoot, and click powers. It's like 4 player WoW.
It's an RTS the same way Mass Effect 2 is an RPG.

News Comments > TorchlightCam Mod for Torchlight
7. Re: Torchlight Mods Mar 16, 2010, 14:16 Zyrxil

Probably because you can see all the streaming of geometry when you have the ability to change where the camera points, as well as the places where there simply are no textures because you're not expected to be able to see there. The game is very very aggressive about resource management. Stuff is constantly streamed in/out, and even monsters outside your expected field of view have their AI turned off to save processor cycles.  

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 PC Patch Today
4. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 PC Patch Today Mar 15, 2010, 14:41 Zyrxil

Also, an important post to read about removing the built in mouse normalization:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=13997695&postcount=1684

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 PC Patch Today
3. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 PC Patch Today Mar 15, 2010, 14:28 Zyrxil

High pings even on local game servers. We're actually showing game latency instead of ping.

This is basically how far behind the client is compared to the server. We try to keep the server a small portion in front of the clients so they in most cases can use replicated data until they get the next ghost update from the server. If they get a lag spike they will start predicting the state when they run out of information, however, the basic idea is to smooth out the experience compared to everything having to be corrected when the predictions are slightly off.

News Comments > On BioShock 2 DLC's Tiny Download
10. Re: On BioShock 2 DLC's Tiny Download Mar 12, 2010, 18:16 Zyrxil

finga wrote on Mar 12, 2010, 17:30:
Because this content must be seen by other players. It's in-game abilities and characters and such, not a new land to walk to. Is this stuff that difficult to read about before the feigned indignation comes in?
Rolleyes Or you know, they could do like Chaos Rising and make a patch that allows players without the extra content to play against people with the extra content.

This is no different than if Quake 5 was released and the Rocket Launcher was an "on-disc" DLC that had to be bought for $5.

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Idle Server Shutdowns
13. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Idle Server Shutdowns Mar 12, 2010, 15:07 Zyrxil

150,000 simultaneous players updating stats, not sales numbers.  

News Comments > Newell: Portal 2 is Valve's "Best Game"
21. Re: Newell: Portal 2 is Valve's Mar 12, 2010, 14:52 Zyrxil

Cutter wrote on Mar 12, 2010, 14:31:
I still sometimes randomly say to people "Oh...hello, Gordon.", or "Hey Dr. Freeman." Funmny thing is that more people than you'd believe pick up on it - at least in geek circles.
By Pick Up On It, do you mean they stand there mute and unresponsive?

News Comments > EverQuest Underfoot Convorteum Launch Offers
1. Re: EverQuest Underfoot Convorteum Launch Offers Mar 11, 2010, 11:59 Zyrxil

I can't believe it's still going.  

News Comments > Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Announced
12. Re: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Announced Mar 5, 2010, 12:11 Zyrxil

The problem is, they're out of ideas. Prince of Persia did the platforming and puzzles better. Uncharted did the other stuff better. They have nothing left except the brand name.  

News Comments > Deus Ex 3 Image
1. Re: Deus Ex 3 Image Mar 4, 2010, 15:09 Zyrxil

The lighter is pointless, but the thumb looks artificial, with a robotic joint.  

News Comments > Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Announced
2. Re: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Announced Mar 4, 2010, 11:24 Zyrxil

The guy who came up with that name? Fire him. From a cannon. Into the sun.  

News Comments > Portal Patched
3. Re: Portal Patched Mar 1, 2010, 22:06 Zyrxil

See http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/03/02/portal-theres-something-going-on/

Looks like hidden audio files that can be played from radios in game, as well as hidden images in sound files.

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Feb 28, 2010, 12:41 Zyrxil

Evil Timmy wrote on Feb 27, 2010, 17:46:
If that's all you do in ME2's combat sequences, try cranking up the difficulty. At one notch above normal, not only is nearly every battle a real challenge, but enemies will move up and flank, and they're a serious enough threat to force you to move. Even early on, I found myself tactically repositioning my squaddies around corners and such to cover my retreats and advances, just so I wouldn't get slaughtered. It really makes the game a lot better, when you're not nigh invincible and you've actually gotta consider how you play, rather than hiding in one spot or just unloading and counting on superior firepower.
Hahahaha. Oh, I almost thought you were serious. Even at Insanity, the only difference is that enemies tend to have 3 health bars- health/armor/shield, instead of just the basic health. No flanking done, everything is the same, but you take a ton more damage.

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 "Quotes" Trailer
3. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Feb 25, 2010, 19:01 Zyrxil

What's with your age check, Blue? It won't accept that I was born on 11 11 1900! You can't prove I'm not 109 years old!  

743 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo