Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Zyrxil

Real Name Zyrxil   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Zyrxil
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 25, 2001, 23:23
Total Comments 738 (Apprentice)
User ID 11452

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > SOE Closing Four MMOGs
15. Re: SOE Closing Four MMOGs Jan 25, 2014, 00:22 Zyrxil

I had fun with Vanguard around four or so years ago. It certainly had its nice class design and crafting, plus I loved the exploring huuuugggeeee completely uninstanced world (really if you're not going to have instances you need a ton of geography). However that engine was just beyond atrocious. I think it was some grotesque bastard version of Unreal Engine 1.5 or something, that was completely unsuited for MMOs. The engine game was pretty hideous but ran poorly anyway, even on great hardware.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Next Hitman Game Detailed
13. Re: Next Hitman Game Detailed Jan 16, 2014, 15:10 Zyrxil

In Splinter Cell: Conviction, when you reloaded, every single Light respawned. Fuck that.  

News Comments > AMD: Battlefield 4 "Up to 45% Faster" Using Mantle
62. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 9, 2014, 11:01 Zyrxil

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 19:20:
Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 17:30:

Of course it will work, but if you want the benefits of Mantle, you need to have an ATI card.
Yeah not true, you can have an nvidia card and it'll work just fine.

Unlike nVidia who threw a hissy fit over physx, AMD isn't pulling that BS. Funny thing is...you could even use a nvidia card beside a ati/amd card and have it work. Until nvida threw a super-hissy fit and blocked physx from working if it detected a amd card.
Well monopolistic behavior isn't called such because anyone can do it.

41. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 16:14 Zyrxil

Quboid wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 14:49:
Zyrxil wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 14:36:
JSP wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 14:03:
Really, by now, AMD driver issues are a thing of the past. And AMD isn't doing too bad graphics wise too, what with Kaveri APU being released and recent report that they're making more than Sony on PS4s sold for license of its chips at 15 to 20 USD per unit. Mantle is not proprietary so Nvidia can make use of it if they so choose, there is no fragmentation of technology, simply better advances that are long time in coming to make use of available resources for at no cost to user.
"ATI driver issues a thing of the past" has been the mantra for the last half decade. They're just now fixing their microstutter problems, which has plagued their cards since the beginning. Once-bitten-twice-shy applies 90% of people who have built AMD/ATI systems. Intel/Nvidia combo isfar more dependable for maybe a 10% price premium. I want there to be competition, but AMD is only barely keeping itself in the game right now.

Are their drivers any worse than Nvidia's? Plenty of people report plenty of problems with those (I've never had many issues with either) so while I'm sure AMD's drivers aren't perfect, they might well be improved over their condition 10 years ago.
Yes, they are still consistently worse, with "Radeon specific performance problem" being a common thing.

27. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 14:36 Zyrxil

JSP wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 14:03:
Really, by now, AMD driver issues are a thing of the past. And AMD isn't doing too bad graphics wise too, what with Kaveri APU being released and recent report that they're making more than Sony on PS4s sold for license of its chips at 15 to 20 USD per unit. Mantle is not proprietary so Nvidia can make use of it if they so choose, there is no fragmentation of technology, simply better advances that are long time in coming to make use of available resources for at no cost to user.
"ATI driver issues a thing of the past" has been the mantra for the last half decade. They're just now fixing their microstutter problems, which has plagued their cards since the beginning. Once-bitten-twice-shy applies 90% of people who have built AMD/ATI systems. Intel/Nvidia combo isfar more dependable for maybe a 10% price premium. I want there to be competition, but AMD is only barely keeping itself in the game right now.

News Comments > Fallouts Returning to Steam
2. Re: Fallouts Returning to Steam Jan 3, 2014, 12:11 Zyrxil

I still have my disc based copies and extra GoG copies saved. A copy with a Bethesda publisher logo replacing Interplay's just seems weird.  

News Comments > YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns
25. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 18, 2013, 10:05 Zyrxil

Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 23:22:
If they had permission then there wouldn't be any claims, would there? That means the content owners would be cutting off an extra revenue source. I think it's you who needs to brush up the facts, champ.

Wow. Instead of actually doing a quick search, you double down on ignorance. Not only is it the ContentID bot doing everything, as the last 10 posts have pointed out, it is random non-publishers doing the claiming. Yes, exactly as I wrote before if you had bothered to read it, Google/Youtube is letting claimers claim on anything without proof, then they automatically get the ad revenue while the video creators go through the long claims dispute process. Besides the NASA example provide before, in this current situation, a bunch of channels got claimed upon by "4GamerMovie", which is apparently a random Japanese website. Not even the publishers of the games know who the fuck 4GamerMovie is, and the video producers still have to go through the dispute process, even with prior permission and the various publishers explicitly giving blanket permission a second time through their websites. Just this morning, the (indie) developer of VVVVVV got a claim against them for footage of their own game on their own channel. So yeah, it's definitely you who needs to read a bit more.

News Comments > YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns
12. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 17, 2013, 23:14 Zyrxil

ViRGE wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 19:44:
but nothing in the letter addresses these.
Let's be realistic here: there's nothing YouTube can do about it. If they want to maintain DMCA safe harbor status, they need to pull down anything that they get a request for. The only people with any real control are the firms issuing the takedown notices in the first place.

That's not the issue at all. There have been no DMCA notices issued. This is all about Youtube's internal ContentID matching system, which apparently allows anyone to claim anything, and has little recourse for anyone wrongfully claimed against.

Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 21:33:
If you want to monetize it, get permission. It's pretty simple. No one's saying you can't engage in Fair Use otherwise.
Maybe you should actually read up on a subject before commenting? The big hullabaloo this week was from video creators that already had permission. Unfortunately, Youtube's content claiming system really doesn't give a fuck. It's strictly "get a claim lodged against you, your earnings automatically go to the claimer (who doesn't even need any proof), lodge a counterclaim, wait 2-4 weeks for possible reversal, and repeat 2 months later because there's no protection for the video just because you cleared a previous false claim."

This has been happening for long time. NASA has had its own videos taken down through ContentID matching by tiny TV Stations matching their rebroadcast of the NASA videos. This particular incident is just a bunch of very popular Youtubers suddenly being affected.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
14. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 16, 2013, 17:37 Zyrxil

jdreyer wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 12:46:
Destiny looks like the most derivative crap. It looks like Borderlands without the over-the-top, tongue-in-cheek humor that made those games unique and fun. The aliens are all poor imitations of recent sci fi IP. It's kind of sad, b/c it looks like a lot of work went into it. Yeah, glad it's not coming to PC.

Wat. It looks like Borderlands with thought and care put into the game systems. Borderlands' humor and content gets stale fast. Its gameplay is based on exactly 1 active ability per character. Assuming Bungie is more competent than Gearbox (not exactly a hard assumption), this should be a way better game with deeper mechanics. I'll be all over this if it comes to PC.

News Comments > Project Eternity Renamed; Trailered
2. Re: Project Eternity Renamed; Trailered Dec 10, 2013, 22:49 Zyrxil

I still think Orthogonal perspective looks weird compared to Isometric.  

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Combat Voting
28. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Combat Voting Nov 22, 2013, 16:06 Zyrxil

RTwP vs TB- the ultimate RPG geek clash. Suck it, RT losers! Combat was easily the worst part of Infinity Engine and Electron Engine games. Temple of Elemental Evil combat engine should be the ideal to strive for.

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 13:37:
They should honestly have both as an option to the player.
Oh yeah, cause that worked out great for Arcanum. Unless you're creating two completely different combat systems, all with its own abilities, then having the option for both will never result in combat that is even remotely balanced or well-designed.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Saints Row IV: Enter the Dominatrix
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Saints Row IV: Enter the Dominatrix Oct 23, 2013, 11:06 Zyrxil

It's just a name. They didn't use the name, so they're using it for the first DLC. It apparently has a lot of behind the scenes look at development, unused ideas, etc.  

News Comments > Avadon 2: The Corruption This Month
4. Re: Avadon 2: The Corruption This Month Oct 15, 2013, 11:59 Zyrxil

Avadon 1 was the first Spiderweb game I just could not finish due to boredom with the story and hating the new character system (terrible talent trees plus ridiculously long cooldowns).  

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Sep 20, 2013, 13:43 Zyrxil

The outrage at the outrage at the outrage of the outrage.  

News Comments > Dark Souls II PCs After Consoles
15. Re: Dark Souls II PCs After Consoles Sep 19, 2013, 10:53 Zyrxil

Or you know, they're a tiny developer with a small staff and no way to suddenly get that PC experience in the time frame during which a port would make sense. They were up front with the limitations of the PC port long before it was released. It's hardly a situation worth getting angry about.  

News Comments > Dark Souls II PCs After Consoles
7. Re: Dark Souls II PCs After Consoles Sep 19, 2013, 09:59 Zyrxil

ItBurn wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 09:44:
I refuse to play the first one because of the horrible terrible port. I fear I won't play the second one because of that.
Well that just seems silly. The logical outcome of that is eventually you won't be playing the 10th game of the series because of one poor port (which has excellent mods working around the problems) from years and years ago.

News Comments > Stargunner Free Release
5. Re: Stargunner Free Release Sep 13, 2013, 16:55 Zyrxil

Does that second screenshot on the store page make the ship look like a Firefly ship to anyone else?  

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Sep 9, 2013, 11:40 Zyrxil

I don't know about those ratios, I remember COD:MW3 had something like 50 million development budget and 200 million marketing budget.  

News Comments > Op Ed
65. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 20:38 Zyrxil

Beamer wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 14:56:
Creston wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 14:44:
Beamer wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 14:23:
Yeah, it's the theme of the site, and it's what people are objecting to - how over the top it is.

It's funny how those people never complain when Gabe murders Tycho in a brutal fashion, or someone is fed into a wood chipper, or radioactive scorpions bite one of them in the dick, or dogs tear them to pieces or... etc

But a fictional character mentions fictional rape by a fictional dickwolf and "OMG YOU GUYS CONDONE RAPE."

/sigh.

Well, I don't think anyone other than Cutter is saying PA condones it, but I'd also wager there are more people walking around out there that have the lingering memories of being raped than there are that have the lingering memories of being brutally murdered by being fed into a woodchipper.

It gets back to the "triggering" argument that you seem to be misunderstanding.

No, there are actually quite a lot of people saying PA and anyone supporting PA are rape-lovers. Check the people arguing with TotalBiscuit in the last few days. And that's why this whole thing is as big as it is- who the fuck wants to apologize a bunch of nutters like Cutter? Make death threats all day and equate a non-related comic as equivalent to a real life crime, yeah, that's real sane. Fuck em. If it were possible separate the sane people from the insane in the crowd, to have a conversation about it, it would never have gotten this far. But, SJWs gonna SJW.

Atomic wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 15:36:
Too much talk here about the comic. This isn't about the comic, which in context was a pretty good scathing commentary on the lack of morality in video games. This is about their childish and continued insipid response to being criticized.
The criticism is what was stupid and insipid. Let me pose an analogous a scenario:
A: "I believe that the state acted niggardly with the emergency aid and..."

B: "I cannot believe you used that racial slur! I lived through the times when blacks could not drink from white water fountains, and I had thought those days were long gone. I demand you apologize right now!"

A: "Hrm? What? I'm sorry, I don't understand....Oh oh, I see. Now, I assure you, that is not what the word means. I am very much against racism and I urge people right now never to use racial epithets."

C, D, E, F, G: Death threats. Death threats against A's children. Ironic rape threats.

A: "Are you goddamn kidding me? Fuck all y'all. I'm not apologizing for something I didn't do."

C, D, E, F, G: Cutter^2 level of death threats.

A: "Here's a middle finger for you, one for you, and one for you. Here's a bunch of shirts with the goddamn word and it's dictionary definition. Who's with me?!"

H, I, J, K, L: "All right, shirts to show we're not with them!"

M, N, O, P, Q: "Hey, they're profiting off racism! Racist! Quick, get Jesse Jackson, we can make the evening edition!"

B: *Tiptoes away*

Yeah, from a professional public relations point of view, PA handled it terrible. From a personal satisfaction point of view, fuck Social Justice Warriors looking for a headline, and fuck people who blindly follow them.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed IV Simultaneous PC Release
9. Re: Assassin's Creed IV Simultaneous PC Release Aug 21, 2013, 19:31 Zyrxil

It'd going to be magically delayed to two weeks after the console launch like all the other ACs.  

738 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo