Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Zyrxil

Real Name Zyrxil   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Zyrxil
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 25, 2001, 23:23
Total Comments 739 (Apprentice)
User ID 11452

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 6, 2011, 14:22 Zyrxil

I wonder when Bioware is just gonna stop pretending and go straight God of War/Gears of War. It's pretty obvious that's the way they're going.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Valve Announces Steam Guard
37. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 16:11 Zyrxil

Creston wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 15:46:
They say Steam Guard, which will be available to third-party developers, will also support Intel's upcoming Identity Protection Technology, a hardware encryption scheme for 2nd Generation Intel Core CPUS that replaces the need for an external key generator.

This part, however, does read like it would/could tie your game to one PC and one PC only.

The publisher's wet dream.

Creston
The "external key generator" is a key fob, ala banks and WoW.

Darks wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 15:51:
This has to be about the worst idea ever, I would rather they give me a token to lock down my account with like WOW uses rather then tie my account to a CPU. Absolutely stupid, so what happens when that CPU goes bad or you change it out and then try to access your account. And are now locked out because the hardware has changed? I guess pled and beg Valve to fix it, which who knows how long that will take. No thank you! I donít need this type of BS intrusion locked down on my account.
This is easily the most retarded response to this news release. What happens if you lose your bank or WoW key fob? Yeah, you have to go through some annoying shit. Same as if you got your account hacked, except the whole point is that having the key fob makes the whole situation less likely. Now they're doing key fob type security without the cost of having to mail a fob to every one of their customers.
BTW Gabe, if you donít like fixing people accounts then get out of the business, this is part of the business model whether you like it or not.
BTW, if you like not having a security feature, then don't complain when you get hacked and it takes a week to get everything back to normal.

Beamer wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 15:59:
I actually fail to see what this does, period, or what benefit any of the 3 groups involved (valve, devs, users) get.
Jesus, does no one here do online banking? Banks already do this kind of hardware lock, in addition to key fobs. The benefit is less accounts stolen, which means less headaches for both customers and customer support.

30. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 15:25 Zyrxil

DangerDog wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 14:29:
Sounds to me like it could also be implemented into some form of extra DRM in the name of "Identity Protection". Imagine the next Activision Call of Duty that implements this system, no need for CD-Keys as the game is locked to your PC hardware.

You know what that's called? Securom. It's been doing that for more than 4 years, FFS. It locks to hardware, and still has CD-keys.

News Comments > Call of Juarez: The Cartel Details, Trailer
1. Re: Call of Juarez: The Cartel Details, Trailer Mar 3, 2011, 15:06 Zyrxil

Featuring Exploding Tire (TM) technology.  

19. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 14:25 Zyrxil

Yes, Management, as in your account password, email, and CC info.  

17. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 14:19 Zyrxil

KilrathiAce wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 14:13:
As long as this is optional, then thats cool, Valve needs to realize some people travel and often use more than 1 pc with their steam account, especially for smaller indie games.

Again, what? This is about changing account settings, not locking games to a specific PC.

9. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 13:55 Zyrxil

DangerDog wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 13:47:
Your game purchase has been locked to the PC you're using, for security purposes of course.

Developers would never abuse such a system.

What the what?

Attempts to modify or change account settings by any other PC won't be possible without the user's approval.

News Comments > Sengoku Announced
4. Re: Sengoku Announced Feb 28, 2011, 17:15 Zyrxil

Sounded pretty living under a rock serious.

www.totalwar.com/shogun2

News Comments > Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV
5. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Feb 28, 2011, 13:32 Zyrxil

Not to mention competing with Netflix for movie/tv streaming.  

News Comments > Sengoku Announced
1. Re: Sengoku Announced Feb 28, 2011, 11:47 Zyrxil

Going right at Total War, gutsy.  

News Comments > Thief 4 Image
12. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 25, 2011, 11:17 Zyrxil

Too late, Thief 3 existed. This is the potential Rocky VI to T:DS's Rocky V.  

News Comments > Thief 4 Image
1. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 25, 2011, 10:07 Zyrxil

Don't fuck this up! I would have 0 confidence, but I have to admit Deus Ex 3 (Deus Ex 0?) is looking really really good, GitS knockoff or not.  

News Comments > No Dungeon Siege III Respecs
8. Re: No Dungeon Siege III Respecs Feb 24, 2011, 12:11 Zyrxil

Dragon Age did not.
Mass Effects did not.
Oblivion/Morrowind did not.
Witcher did not.
Neverwinter Nights 1+2 did not.
Fallouts did not.
Risen did not.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Trailer
2. Re: The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Trailer Feb 24, 2011, 12:02 Zyrxil

One guy killing a dragon so easily looks really stupid.  

News Comments > Total War: SHOGUN 2 Demo
2. Re: Total War: SHOGUN 2 Demo Feb 22, 2011, 13:41 Zyrxil

Time to bring back magazine demo CDs DVDs Blurays.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 18, 2011, 09:54 Zyrxil

Side-scroller? What? Even if you can't be bothered to play the most talked about game of 2007, you could spend 30 seconds on Youtube to see that it's a first person puzzle game.  

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever and Steamworks
32. Re: Duke Nukem Forever and Steamworks Feb 15, 2011, 18:14 Zyrxil

Slashman wrote on Feb 15, 2011, 17:27:
Tumbler wrote on Feb 15, 2011, 17:21:

I'd like to be able to sell my movie tickets when I'm done with them as well...but those fuckers always rip them in half.

Movie tickets don't give you lifetime access to watch the movie as many times as you want nor do they cost upwards of $50 so your comparison is apples to oranges.

If I wanted to pay to play the game one time or rent it I might pay $5-$10 for a non refundable ticket to do so.

Treating your consumers like cash registers is not how you build a thriving consumer following. But there does seem to be enough people to support this BS business model, so more power too them. Go for broke.

I picked up a used copy of Dragon Age Origins for the PC, want to say thank you to Bioware for resisting to urge to screw your consumers and allowing one of them to trade this game to me. I haven't started playing it yet but I look forward to trying it and comparing it the 360 version.

Ummm...you realize that Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 both have stuff missing from them if you don't have the original account info that registered the game right?

I was -just- about to point out how insanely ironic Tumbler's example was

Publishers/Game studios do not like people reselling or trading games. Whether you think it's your right or not, they don't make a cent, and the only reason your copy of Dragon Age isn't linked to Steam is because it's linked to Bioware's own accounts. Except that doesn't even let you redownload and whatnot. Even the console versions of Mass Effect II are like this, owners of used copies need to pony up $15 to even be allowed to purchase DLC.

News Comments > Battlefield 2142 Patch
2. Re: Battlefield 2142 Patch Feb 15, 2011, 14:56 Zyrxil

Tinnitus...visual?  

News Comments > Crasher Price Cut and Demo
4. Re: removed Feb 11, 2011, 09:54 Zyrxil

It looks like their sales projections *sunglasses* ... crash and burned.

*YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH*

News Comments > True Crime and Guitar Hero Cancelled
4. Re: True Crime and Guitar Hero Cancelled? Feb 9, 2011, 16:51 Zyrxil

Meh, you can feel sorry for good companies going down the drain, but Neversoft? The only notable thing they've ever made was Tony Hawk.  

739 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo