Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Zyrxil

Real Name Zyrxil   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Zyrxil
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 25, 2001, 23:23
Total Comments 764 (Graduate)
User ID 11452

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > NVIDIA Drivers for The Witcher 3
21. Re: NVIDIA Drivers for The Witcher 3 May 18, 2015, 14:20 Zyrxil

Bradley wrote on May 18, 2015, 10:50:
nin wrote on May 18, 2015, 08:52:
Anyhow, I fail to understand how new set of drivers could have anything to do with "marketing", please enlighten me.

Presumably they could be releasing a new driver that is unchanged from the previous driver to make it look like they are responsive to new games and are actively working on providing great support. The placebo effect and relative difficulty in actually quantifying graphical improvements will make people think that Nvidia is "The Bomb" or whatever you young people are saying these days.

See this interesting Gamedev.net post:

The first lesson is: Nearly every game ships broken. We're talking major AAA titles from vendors who are everyday names in the industry. In some cases, we're talking about blatant violations of API rules - one D3D9 game never even called BeginFrame/EndFrame. Some are mistakes or oversights - one shipped bad shaders that heavily impacted performance on NV drivers. These things were day to day occurrences that went into a bug tracker. Then somebody would go in, find out what the game screwed up, and patch the driver to deal with it. There are lots of optional patches already in the driver that are simply toggled on or off as per-game settings, and then hacks that are more specific to games - up to and including total replacement of the shipping shaders with custom versions by the driver team. Ever wondered why nearly every major game release is accompanied by a matching driver release from AMD and/or NVIDIA? There you go.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Elite: Deadly TradeMarked
1. Re: Elite: Deadly TradeMarked Feb 19, 2015, 19:16 Zyrxil

So when are they going to get to Elite: Elite?  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 16, 2015, 11:43 Zyrxil

That Edge of Eternity project looks like a joke. $44k for a team with no experience, desperately naming dropping Japanese Composers for promotion. These guys are going to make a complex 3D JRPG? Anyone funding this completely deserves the inevitable turd that will be churned out.  

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Life is Strange
4. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Life is Strange Jan 30, 2015, 12:28 Zyrxil

Hrm, didn't realize this was episodic. I really prefer the whole thing at once.  

News Comments > Blizzard Rumors: "Low Expectations" for Heroes of the Storm?
10. Re: Blizzard Rumors: Jan 30, 2015, 11:12 Zyrxil

Suppa7 wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 11:00:
BitWraith wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 10:31:
What's wrong with Hearthstone?

Be prepared when all these online only games go offline permanently. i.e. there's going to be a giant gaming whole in history because of kids feeding this online/f2p/mmo bullshit where companies own the fucking game. You won't be able to go back and play old games when you got the itch. The below is just one example.

F2P game Driftopia goes offline

All things are not equal in the real world. Some no-name game from Namco going offline is far more likely than a hit game from Blizzard going offline. The Diablo 2 servers are still running 15 years after release.

News Comments > PC Grand Theft Auto V Delayed to March; Specs Revealed
1. Re: PC Grand Theft Auto V Delayed to March; Specs Revealed Jan 13, 2015, 10:41 Zyrxil

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhccccccccckkkkkkkkkkk  

News Comments > Avernum 2: Crystal Souls This Week
1. Re: Avernum 2: Crystal Souls This Week Jan 12, 2015, 12:57 Zyrxil

I gotta wonder how much return he's getting on these remakes of remakes, when the engine and assets are now 15 years behind as compared to 10 years behind for the original Exile 2.  

News Comments > Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag
4. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jan 12, 2015, 10:53 Zyrxil

Cutter wrote on Jan 12, 2015, 10:09:
That conflicting link doesn't work, Blue - session expired. But yeah that's weird. My guess is Blizzard will probably just throw money at them and buy it out.

I don't see why they would bother. Overwatch isn't a particularly catchy name, and they haven't really done any marketing yet.

News Comments > Valve: Steam Machines "Front and Center" at GDC
15. Re: Valve: Steam Machines Jan 8, 2015, 21:59 Zyrxil

It's only vaguely similar. People have bought into the Steam ecosystem heavily, but they can't force people to stay. MS has power at the OS level, that trumps everything else if they truly wanted to do it. It's not a matter of switch to Linux if nothing you want can run on Linux, hence the Steam Machine and Steamplay experiments.  

News Comments > Valve: Steam Machines "Front and Center" at GDC
11. Re: Valve: Steam Machines Jan 8, 2015, 19:43 Zyrxil

Dmitri_M wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 18:31:
The Steam Machine reminds me of some obscure Taiwanese tech manufacturer releasing a ready made gaming pc. It shows up at some random tech conference. Gets a few fluff pieces previewing it by tech journalists who only use macs. Perhaps a booth babe leans on it and pouts. They sell 200 units. The rest are bargain binned or end up in some Chinese village being melted down for iron. The success of steam as a digital in home Atm has led to some misguided hubris in the valve office. Now they're trying to install a physical atm too. Steam is nice. Steam Machine is pointless.

Man you people have the memory of a goldfish. Steam Machines are a hedge against the possibility of Microsoft locking down Windows with an App store like iOS, in order get that sweet sweet 30% revenue cut of all software. MS already started it with Metro apps only being available from their Windows Store. Any of this ring a bell or did you all just breathe a sigh of relief that Win8 was considered a failure and move onto the next controversy?

News Comments > League Legends Dedicated Internet Optimizations Coming
11. Re: League Legends Dedicated Internet Optimizations Coming Jan 6, 2015, 15:26 Zyrxil

LittleMe wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 14:12:
D_K_night wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 12:23:
A dedicated LoL line? What does this mean for Net Neutrality?

Very likely prohibited under Net Neutrality since it would give special, preferential treatment, to the game's traffic flow.

Net Neutrality is more about 'fairness' than innovation.

Rofl, no. You literally do not even understand the concept of Net Neutrality regulation.

Riot is not selling net access or access to their network. They are building infrastructure for their private use, which proposed Net Neutrality regulation and/or Common Carrier classification for ISPs would not affect. The very fact that they need to do this is a result of lack of Net Neutrality, as ISPs intentionally avoid upgrading their networks in order to extort Netflix-like paid prioritization deals for adequate performance.

4. Re: League Legends Dedicated Internet Optimizations Coming Jan 6, 2015, 11:18 Zyrxil

Lag is always a factor in online games. Whether it was the reason you lost, well...  

1. Re: League Legends Dedicated Internet Optimizations Coming Jan 6, 2015, 09:50 Zyrxil

Soon (TM).  

News Comments > CONSORTIUM: The Tower Prophecy Announced
5. Re: CONSORTIUM: The Tower Prophecy Announced Dec 23, 2014, 12:46 Zyrxil

I really enjoyed the first chapter- the game is pretty reactive in your choices changing the story (the middle parts of the chapter at least, since it still has to lead into the next chapter). Also it involved a murder mystery, and I love that kind of stuff. The overall plot is very intriguing, and they had a fairly elaborate ARG before release that I read a summary of. My main worry is at this pace, they'll finish the story around 2018.  

News Comments > Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns
39. Re: Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns Dec 17, 2014, 11:19 Zyrxil

Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 09:53:
InBlack wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 09:34:
Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 09:27:
Freedom without responsibility doesn't work. We should aspire to more than pandering to the lowest common denominator. Anything for a buck, Gabe?

Im not sure what you are getting at here Cutter. Its very possible that Steam and Valve might in the end lose some business because of this decision. As for your freedom without responsibility that's all fine and dandy but ultimatevly it's not your decision to make, it's Valve's or rather Gabe's.

I'm not arguing that. I'm arguing it's an irresponsible and immoral choice. They're putting profit before people, and that's immoral. No one likes censorship but the freedom at any cost argument is asinine and infantile.

Do you even read what you type, Cutter? Basically right now you're the guy giving a speech about how we should safeguard our freedom of speech by being responsible with it, as he tosses copies of Fahrenheit 451 onto a bonfire.

There is no difference in the amount of violence in this game compared to any other shooter being published today. The only notable part is that it is presented in as tasteless a manner as possible for shock value.

The number 1 rule of all ethical systems is that all rules must be universalizable. If you ban a game and a hundred other games have the same content, then you're banning it purely because of public outrage. That's not a sustainable system. Valve is restoring the game to show that they recognize that. How insane are you to even say "Anything for a buck"? It's a tiny Indie game that will draw a lot of angry protestors. The potential profit is tiny, and the potential headache is fucking huge. There is no upside for Valve besides staying ethically consistent.

News Comments > Street Fighter 5 Gameplay Footage
9. Re: Street Fighter 5 Gameplay Trailer Dec 15, 2014, 11:17 Zyrxil

Slick wrote on Dec 14, 2014, 16:10:
agreed that the jump to IV was very monumental, but 6 years is more than enough time to do something different. all these games looks just like last-gen, using last-gen engines, it's depressing. especially considering the gen lasted longer than any other gen is history, we were due for a real bump in fidelity that has not come... this reminds me of SF2 to SF3 though, virtually identical-looking games imo.

and thank you SO MUCH for the BlazBlue tip, i knew that it was made by the same developers as Guilty Gear, but i had no idea that there were any released on PC. this will tide me over nicely until Guilty Gear releases in 2 days

Blazblue has not all been released on PC. PC release was very recent and is still one full release behind the latest console/arcade release.

News Comments > inXile TMs Meanwhile & Van Buren
10. Re: inXile TMs Meanwhile & Van Buren Dec 8, 2014, 12:21 Zyrxil

Simple explanation, adapting Van Buren ideas and locations to Wasteland 3.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Frozen Synapse Prime
1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Frozen Synapse Prime Nov 16, 2014, 14:58 Zyrxil

Apparently worse than the original in every single way. Even though it's supposed to be a visual upgrade/remake, it is essentially a Vita->PC port. See comments here.  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC First-Person Confirmed
9. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC First-Person Confirmed Nov 4, 2014, 14:47 Zyrxil

Well I'm ready. 'Spent' a Gamefly trial period to get the console version for 15mins so I get the Returning Player goodies. Now if only the PC release weren't 2 months after the console versions.  

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released
44. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Sep 30, 2014, 16:32 Zyrxil

Beamer wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 13:02:
Has anyone heard anything about how it runs on the 360 or PS3?
The 360/PS3 version isn't even the same game. The Nemesis system is 90% stripped out due to memory constraints.

DrSquick wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 14:57:
That is an exceptional trailer! I am way too spoiled by Steam sales to buy something at full price, and that trailer showed absolutely no in-game footage, but damn was that an epic trailer! Reminds me of the goosebumps the old Blizzard trailers would give me.
Greenmangaming still has their 25% off promo code valid for the next 24 hours, if you want to be tempted.

764 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo