Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Zyrxil

Real Name Zyrxil   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Zyrxil
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 25, 2001, 23:23
Total Comments 728 (Apprentice)
User ID 11452

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Frontier Gains Elite Rights; Braben to Sell Frontier Stock
24. Re: Frontier Gains Elite Rights; Braben to Sell Frontier Stock Apr 17, 2014, 18:44 Zyrxil

Cutter wrote on Apr 17, 2014, 17:13:
Bard wrote on Apr 17, 2014, 17:00:
hmm.. seems to be that crowdfunders think they are paying for development of the thing they give money for (ie a product), only for increasing portions of the money to be used for all sorts of extra stuff like posh offices and non developmental related things.

But that's the thing. The KS only raised 1.5M pounds so where is this all coming from?

I don't think you understand how the world works. The people/companies doing Kickstarters are not broke hobos with 0 assets and an idea. They are people with jobs, and (hopefully) plenty of development experience. The broke hobos with an idea and nothing else are exactly the people you shouldn't be funding. Frontier Developments has 210 employees and plenty of published games on their resume. While not a huge AAA studio, it's safe to say they have some cash. They did the Kickstarter because they can't risk their survival by completely self funding a $1.5 million+ project with no guarantee of a return. People who live in nice homes and have employees depending on them not to fuck the company up don't do business that way.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Watch Dogs "Ultra Specs"
15. Re: Watch Dogs Apr 14, 2014, 14:27 Zyrxil

Yeah, they should've just given the PC version a maximum of PS2 level graphics, then people wouldn't have to freak about about what's needed for "Ultra" settings Rolleyes  

News Comments > Space Noir Trailer
7. Re: Space Noir Trailer Apr 8, 2014, 09:43 Zyrxil

Cutter wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 19:55:
Meh, straight up console game.

Worse. Tablet based action game.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 15, 2014, 19:17 Zyrxil

Is that supposed to be your idea of a bad idea?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/discordgames/chasm

News Comments > Eidos Montreal Layoffs
30. Re: Eidos Montreal Layoffs Mar 5, 2014, 12:17 Zyrxil

Jerykk wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 03:19:
The city hub definitely encourages exploration, as there's plenty of loot and collectibles to be found and some of it is pretty well-hidden.

The City hub is a nice concept, just as it was in Thief 3, but it has a fucking awful implementation, even worse than in Thief 3.

First of it's a huge maze. BUT, it's not completely fair maze. So many small side rooms are only unlocked when you take a side mission from Basso or some other client. It doesn't matter if you've purchased the tools, the window doesn't glow or there's clutter in the way that doesn't allow you in. There is no consistency in how the map opens up, and that's very frustrating when you explore some corner only to find the double closed shutters that indicate you need to come back later. That's made even worse by the fact that getting around the City requires a lot of indirect routes, backtracking, and loading screens.

Second, although it's maze, it has a really terribly useless map. You can orient yourself with it, but you're really not able to guide yourself around with it, especially with all the indirect loading screens through windows and twisting passsages you have to take. Also, you can't use it to keep track of what little rooms you've already visited, or what little rooms had a painting you didn't have a razor tool for, or what little rooms had the obvious closed shutters that you'll be able to revisit later after. You find yourself running through covered ground very often, and that's quite tedious when loading screens are everywhere.

Third, TAP TO LIFT TAP TO LIFT TAP TO LIFT because it needs to be mentioned yet again. There are so many fucking load screens. Exploring is not fun when you have to go in a loading screen for a tiny bedroom.

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2014, 12:26.

News Comments > Dark Souls II "Hollow Lullaby" Trailer
2. Re: Dark Souls II Feb 21, 2014, 09:56 Zyrxil

Worst narration I've ever heard. Also, I'm pretty sure that's all Dark Souls I footage.  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Feb 8, 2014, 15:35 Zyrxil

Well that's vague. What tech were they fighting over and what are they cross licensing?  

News Comments > Valve Prevails in German Lawsuit
2. Re: Valve Prevails in German Lawsuit Feb 7, 2014, 11:04 Zyrxil

I'm interpreting this as the difference between an work application that you're continually using, and a game that has a beginning-middle-end.  

News Comments > Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released
52. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 4, 2014, 13:30 Zyrxil

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 10:26:
People had a lot of the same concerns with DX:HR, and I think most agree that it turned out pretty well.

People had the same concerns about DX:HR, and then information was released and the internet Beast was mostly sated, except for the stupid 3rd person takedowns.

People had the concerns about Thi4f and then information was the released and the Beast just became angrier.

Really the best they could hope for is being equivalent to Splinter Cell: Blacklist- a reboot that captures none of the same charm of the original, but is fun in a completely different way, and should have had a different title.

Unfortunately they're on pace to be another Hitman: Absolution- a semi-reboot with completely different mechanics that is very pretty but not at all fun, that should have had a different title.

News Comments > Remember Me Developer Bankrupt
7. Re: Remember Me Developer Bankrupt Jan 31, 2014, 11:45 Zyrxil

necrosis wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 11:01:
Acleacius wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 09:27:
Best of luck, it sounded like a great story and premise, dragged down by crappy console gameplay design.

What I read, you need a controller to play otherwise get ready to be frustrated. Since I don't use a controller ... ever, there's no way I'm paying more than $5 or $10 bucks for poorly designed controls. There's a enough frustration in the world, without paying someone to frustrate me.
I will second this. Got it on PC at launch and the the fighting later in the game is maddening with KB&M.

How is it maddening? It's a 2 button light/heavy attack scheme. It's hardly the most complex of combat systems.

Anyway, the game is pretty much a boredom sandwich of terrible gameplay with (rare) really cool memory remix sequences.

News Comments > SOE Closing Four MMOGs
15. Re: SOE Closing Four MMOGs Jan 25, 2014, 00:22 Zyrxil

I had fun with Vanguard around four or so years ago. It certainly had its nice class design and crafting, plus I loved the exploring huuuugggeeee completely uninstanced world (really if you're not going to have instances you need a ton of geography). However that engine was just beyond atrocious. I think it was some grotesque bastard version of Unreal Engine 1.5 or something, that was completely unsuited for MMOs. The engine game was pretty hideous but ran poorly anyway, even on great hardware.  

News Comments > Next Hitman Game Detailed
13. Re: Next Hitman Game Detailed Jan 16, 2014, 15:10 Zyrxil

In Splinter Cell: Conviction, when you reloaded, every single Light respawned. Fuck that.  

News Comments > AMD: Battlefield 4 "Up to 45% Faster" Using Mantle
62. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 9, 2014, 11:01 Zyrxil

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 19:20:
Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 17:30:

Of course it will work, but if you want the benefits of Mantle, you need to have an ATI card.
Yeah not true, you can have an nvidia card and it'll work just fine.

Unlike nVidia who threw a hissy fit over physx, AMD isn't pulling that BS. Funny thing is...you could even use a nvidia card beside a ati/amd card and have it work. Until nvida threw a super-hissy fit and blocked physx from working if it detected a amd card.
Well monopolistic behavior isn't called such because anyone can do it.

41. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 16:14 Zyrxil

Quboid wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 14:49:
Zyrxil wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 14:36:
JSP wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 14:03:
Really, by now, AMD driver issues are a thing of the past. And AMD isn't doing too bad graphics wise too, what with Kaveri APU being released and recent report that they're making more than Sony on PS4s sold for license of its chips at 15 to 20 USD per unit. Mantle is not proprietary so Nvidia can make use of it if they so choose, there is no fragmentation of technology, simply better advances that are long time in coming to make use of available resources for at no cost to user.
"ATI driver issues a thing of the past" has been the mantra for the last half decade. They're just now fixing their microstutter problems, which has plagued their cards since the beginning. Once-bitten-twice-shy applies 90% of people who have built AMD/ATI systems. Intel/Nvidia combo isfar more dependable for maybe a 10% price premium. I want there to be competition, but AMD is only barely keeping itself in the game right now.

Are their drivers any worse than Nvidia's? Plenty of people report plenty of problems with those (I've never had many issues with either) so while I'm sure AMD's drivers aren't perfect, they might well be improved over their condition 10 years ago.
Yes, they are still consistently worse, with "Radeon specific performance problem" being a common thing.

27. Re: AMD: Battlefield 4 Jan 8, 2014, 14:36 Zyrxil

JSP wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 14:03:
Really, by now, AMD driver issues are a thing of the past. And AMD isn't doing too bad graphics wise too, what with Kaveri APU being released and recent report that they're making more than Sony on PS4s sold for license of its chips at 15 to 20 USD per unit. Mantle is not proprietary so Nvidia can make use of it if they so choose, there is no fragmentation of technology, simply better advances that are long time in coming to make use of available resources for at no cost to user.
"ATI driver issues a thing of the past" has been the mantra for the last half decade. They're just now fixing their microstutter problems, which has plagued their cards since the beginning. Once-bitten-twice-shy applies 90% of people who have built AMD/ATI systems. Intel/Nvidia combo isfar more dependable for maybe a 10% price premium. I want there to be competition, but AMD is only barely keeping itself in the game right now.

News Comments > Fallouts Returning to Steam
2. Re: Fallouts Returning to Steam Jan 3, 2014, 12:11 Zyrxil

I still have my disc based copies and extra GoG copies saved. A copy with a Bethesda publisher logo replacing Interplay's just seems weird.  

News Comments > YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns
25. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 18, 2013, 10:05 Zyrxil

Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 23:22:
If they had permission then there wouldn't be any claims, would there? That means the content owners would be cutting off an extra revenue source. I think it's you who needs to brush up the facts, champ.

Wow. Instead of actually doing a quick search, you double down on ignorance. Not only is it the ContentID bot doing everything, as the last 10 posts have pointed out, it is random non-publishers doing the claiming. Yes, exactly as I wrote before if you had bothered to read it, Google/Youtube is letting claimers claim on anything without proof, then they automatically get the ad revenue while the video creators go through the long claims dispute process. Besides the NASA example provide before, in this current situation, a bunch of channels got claimed upon by "4GamerMovie", which is apparently a random Japanese website. Not even the publishers of the games know who the fuck 4GamerMovie is, and the video producers still have to go through the dispute process, even with prior permission and the various publishers explicitly giving blanket permission a second time through their websites. Just this morning, the (indie) developer of VVVVVV got a claim against them for footage of their own game on their own channel. So yeah, it's definitely you who needs to read a bit more.

News Comments > YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns
12. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 17, 2013, 23:14 Zyrxil

ViRGE wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 19:44:
but nothing in the letter addresses these.
Let's be realistic here: there's nothing YouTube can do about it. If they want to maintain DMCA safe harbor status, they need to pull down anything that they get a request for. The only people with any real control are the firms issuing the takedown notices in the first place.

That's not the issue at all. There have been no DMCA notices issued. This is all about Youtube's internal ContentID matching system, which apparently allows anyone to claim anything, and has little recourse for anyone wrongfully claimed against.

Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 21:33:
If you want to monetize it, get permission. It's pretty simple. No one's saying you can't engage in Fair Use otherwise.
Maybe you should actually read up on a subject before commenting? The big hullabaloo this week was from video creators that already had permission. Unfortunately, Youtube's content claiming system really doesn't give a fuck. It's strictly "get a claim lodged against you, your earnings automatically go to the claimer (who doesn't even need any proof), lodge a counterclaim, wait 2-4 weeks for possible reversal, and repeat 2 months later because there's no protection for the video just because you cleared a previous false claim."

This has been happening for long time. NASA has had its own videos taken down through ContentID matching by tiny TV Stations matching their rebroadcast of the NASA videos. This particular incident is just a bunch of very popular Youtubers suddenly being affected.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
14. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 16, 2013, 17:37 Zyrxil

jdreyer wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 12:46:
Destiny looks like the most derivative crap. It looks like Borderlands without the over-the-top, tongue-in-cheek humor that made those games unique and fun. The aliens are all poor imitations of recent sci fi IP. It's kind of sad, b/c it looks like a lot of work went into it. Yeah, glad it's not coming to PC.

Wat. It looks like Borderlands with thought and care put into the game systems. Borderlands' humor and content gets stale fast. Its gameplay is based on exactly 1 active ability per character. Assuming Bungie is more competent than Gearbox (not exactly a hard assumption), this should be a way better game with deeper mechanics. I'll be all over this if it comes to PC.

News Comments > Project Eternity Renamed; Trailered
2. Re: Project Eternity Renamed; Trailered Dec 10, 2013, 22:49 Zyrxil

I still think Orthogonal perspective looks weird compared to Isometric.  

728 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo