Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jamie

Real Name Jamie   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Morgan19
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 21, 2001, 00:09
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 11406

User comment history
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Scientists clone endangered cattle Apr 9, 2003, 14:51 Morgan19

You misunderstood. I didn't imply that humans themselves are artificial (obviously). The means by which we're expanding, growing, etc. was the subject. Perhaps artificial wasn't the right word, more like... overpowering, unnatural, unprecedented, take your pick.

My point was that extinction in the past was, as implied by the first post, due to "natural" causes like animals competing for food or a tiger eating a mouse. What humans have done and are doing goes way beyond anything that's ever happened in past history.

m19

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Scientists clone endangered cattle Apr 9, 2003, 12:59 Morgan19

"We hope that the birth of these animals will open the way for a new strategy to help maintain valuable biodiversity and to respond to the challenge of large-scale extinctions ahead."

How?

This statement is fundamentally flawed. Animals go extinct because they are unable to compete in their natural habitat. Keeping these animals alive would be like keeping a candle lit in a rainstorm. Sure they could be part of some zoo somewhere, but don't expect their original niche to be accepting applications any time soon.

rist3903

Actually I think your take on extinction is what's flawed, rist. It's not so black'n'white as saying things can't compete, simply because WE are the major reason, an overwhelminly artificial force, that major extinction is happening in the first place. What used to take thousands or millions of years happens in decades now because humans are overrunning the planet. While it's true that some species should not be cloned because they died out naturally, how in the world can you possible say that we shouldn't try and bring back animals that we've come close to killing off completely for reasons like over-hunting, habitat destruction, or simply starving animals to death by ruining their environment? That's hardly natural selection. It's humans killing everything.

I'd agree that cloning, say, a dinosaur a-la Jurassic Park'd be a little ridiculous (and nevermind completely dangerous), but why *shouldn't* we try and bring back creatures like the leatherback seaturtle, Asian elephants, of Bengal tigers? It's our own fault, we should make an effort.

m19

2. Typo! Apr 9, 2003, 08:55 Morgan19

...headlines automatically announce their present to RSS-enabled devices...

If I'm understanding the point of the sentence, shouldn't that read "announce their presence" rather than present? Or maybe "announce they're present" would make sense too.

(EDIT-) Yeah yeah getting typos fixed.

m19

This comment was edited on Apr 9, 09:17.

News Comments > Breed Demo Delayed Again
8. Re: No subject Apr 2, 2003, 17:12 Morgan19

People act like all-knowing asses when things are released too early. This game sux0rz!!! They should've spent more time making it phun!!

People act like all-knowing asses when things are pushed back to make them better. This st00p1d game is vaporware, I say so!!!!"

My god, there's no pleasing some people. If it's delayed a bit, so what? You'll get over it, and 10 months from now you won't even care. Personally I think Breed'll be worth the wait as it looks to be a good successor for the T2 crowd, myself included. I wish some people would learn some patience and stop mouthing off every chance they get.

m19

News Comments > BF1942: Secret Weapons Shots
8. Re: Bomber Apr 2, 2003, 15:55 Morgan19

I quipped something in the other BF thread, but I have to say it again to whoever said it was a stealth bomber: the ignorance of some people these days is ridiculous. It's called history, trying learning about it. :|%)

m19

News Comments > BF1942: Secret Weapons Official
26. Re: Rocket pack Apr 2, 2003, 15:19 Morgan19

I'm surprised at how many people are passing off historical facts and/or interpretationsas "ghey," I believe it was. Education, education, education.

m19

News Comments > Tech Bits
1. Say huh? Apr 2, 2003, 09:05 Morgan19

The smaller company will protect the ordinary CD audio tracks against copying, while Microsoft will provide tools to put additional copy-protected versions of the songs on the CD that can be copied to a computer hard drive or MP3 player but not traded online.

I'm curious. An mp3 on a computer is a file, and (I'm not familiar enough with mp3 players) I'm assuming it's also a file on the mp3 player. So if it exists in either, how in the world can it "not be traded online?" If it's a file, you can transfer it. Smells like PR...

m19

This comment was edited on Apr 2, 09:06.

5. Re: Mouse batteries Apr 2, 2003, 09:01 Morgan19

Blegh. That's the one single reason I gave up on the one cordless mouse I made the mistake of purchasing: having to change its batteries every 3-4 weeks is ridiculous. Even if you use rechargeables, it's more of a pain than it's worth.

m19

News Comments > Ships Ahoy: Red Faction II
5. RF2 Apr 1, 2003, 11:32 Morgan19

This was the first I'd heard of a PC port of this. By the few comments so far, can I assume it's just more (or less, depending on the "length" ;)) of the same RF1 blandness?

m19

This comment was edited on Apr 1, 11:32.

News Comments > Big Mac Attack
4. ! Mar 31, 2003, 16:06 Morgan19

Smartasses. I'm happily on a Mac at work right now. Granted I'm not going to be gaming on it anytime soon, but they're still great machines, especially for design work like they were meant to be used for.

m19

News Comments > Ships Ahoy: Devastation
7. Re: BellyFlop & Cainin Mar 25, 2003, 11:09 Morgan19

Agreed a thousand times over. It's nice to see some inteliigence and common sense returning to the B'sN boards.

m19

26. Re: Oscars Mar 24, 2003, 08:03 Morgan19

Michael Moore.

m19

24. Oscars Mar 23, 2003, 23:25 Morgan19

Hypocrisy at its best. They declare so adamantly that there's a time limit that speeches can't go over. Then they let people go on and on, as long as they're remotely referencing the war or trying to sound important, and cut off the one guy who actually has a different opinion and has the bravery to question the President's choices. This is making me sick.

m19

News Comments > Devastation Demo Fix
3. Re: hah Mar 22, 2003, 10:45 Morgan19

Mmm... You're cool?

m19

News Comments > Devastation Multiplayer Demo
26. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2003, 11:35 Morgan19

Heehe, TangledThorn was shot down. I love it when people who are so quick to insult others (eg "n00b") are put in their place. Yeah Tangled, you're so elite.

m19

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 11:36.

News Comments > Crouching Tiger Not PC Bound
7. Movie games Mar 19, 2003, 16:39 Morgan19

Willow for the NES was pretty good.

m19

News Comments > On TRIBES 3
5. Re: Hey whatever happened to... Mar 14, 2003, 11:11 Morgan19

Yes, the re-release happened, you can find it in stores with a loooow pricetag.

As for the naysayers down at the beginning, T1 and T2 are both great games and I (and many others) have only best wishes and high hopes for T3. All the bugginess of T2 that people seem to want to hold onto has 98% disappeared. That's pretty damn good considering its troubled release in the first pace. T3 will definitely be something to keep track of for those who aren't on the anti-T2 bandwagon and do enjoy the series.

m19

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 11:11.

News Comments > Disciples II Followers
6. Re: Great news! Mar 11, 2003, 15:27 Morgan19

What's the point of releasing them as two separate packs, besides an obvious attempt at money-grabbing?

m19

News Comments > Devastation Gold
22. Re: From the FAQ Mar 11, 2003, 14:50 Morgan19

LOL! Looks like the devs have a good sense of humor too.

m19

News Comments > Devastation Gold
14. Re: No subject Mar 11, 2003, 12:40 Morgan19

Curbing enthusiasm is for weenies.

Heh, but really, let people be excited. If we're let down, then we're the only ones that'll have to deal with it. No biggie.

m19

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo