Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jamie

Real Name Jamie   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Morgan19
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 21, 2001, 00:09
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 11406

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > Dungeon Siege II Announced
1. Eh. May 13, 2003, 12:28 Morgan19

So we can run around with cardboard-cut characters where the only difference between them is three numbers? DS's idea of an "RPG" was always laughable to me, pretty though the engine might be. Pass...

m19

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > TRIBES: Vengeance Log
1. T:V, J2k3io May 13, 2003, 10:43 Morgan19

Mmmm, excitement! That's the first I've heard of the T:V-pertinent issue of Computer Games Magazine I'll be keeping my eyes out for that. In case anyone's interested and hasn't visited yet, there's also a dev Q&A thread about T:V here that's very good (not sure if the IRC chat has the same stuff or not):

http://www.bittah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3974

(EDIT-) Oooo... This has me worried though:

>> Mapping in T1 and T2 divides into "client-side" and "server-side" maps... will there be some better way to distribute map objects like buildings to the client?

>> KineticPoet - We currently support what Unreal supports, but we'll re-evaluate that as necessary. Unreal supports maps packaged up in pieces, which can be delivered accordingly, but it doesn't have the Tribes concept of server-side maps<<

I really hope that by "re-evaulate" they mean they're coding in support for server-side maps. For anyone who's a T1/2 player, you know the importance of the server-side map. Other FPSs (Q/U/HL) were almost always (if not always) client-side, from what I know, and one of the best things about the Tribes games was that you could hop on a server and be playing a brand-new map without downloading anything.

Here's to hoping they keep SS maps.

m19

This comment was edited on May 13, 10:53.

News Comments > Halo PC Preview
53. Re: no coop = no point May 12, 2003, 23:25 Morgan19

and as it would seem everybody else

Don't make generalizations, please.

m19

42. Re: #39 May 12, 2003, 18:03 Morgan19

That was a very well-written and logical post, Corey.

m19

37. Re: Hehe May 12, 2003, 16:31 Morgan19

something tells me that this fall everyone will be playing Half Life 2, Jedi Academy, Max Payne 2, and Doom 3, and Halo PC will be in a very dark, forgotten corner

I doubt it. Just because something's new doesn't mean that everyone's going to be playing it and it alone while "forgetting everything else in the corner." Using your list and myself as an example, I'll probably be picking up HL2, DOOM3, and Halo. Jedi Academy and Max Payne 2 just don't interest me in the slightest, for various reasons. But by your logic, because they're new (and sequels, assumedly), I'll love them and not bother with Halo. Not everyone thinks like that, you know.

(EDIT-) Forgot to add one other thing to the proposed "newer is better" slant. Why do you think people are still playing Q1, Q2, HL, or even DOOM2 (believe it or not) for that matter? Again: being cutting edge, shiny, or "new & improved" doesn't make a game instantly the best over something else. I'll take a good game of Tribes 1 over Raven Shield, Warcraft 3, or Quake3 any day.

m19

This comment was edited on May 12, 16:36.

27. LordSteev May 12, 2003, 14:24 Morgan19

That makes perfect sense, actually. Having to wait 2 years and then not only not having much new but also having something taken out that you cared about would rub me the wrong way, too. So I can understand based on your explanation, and for the people who were looking forward to coop, that must really bite. But it's not 100% out, yeah? If they say they're looking into putting it back in, that might mean it's saved after all.

m19

News Comments > Unreal Tournament Patch
2. Re: Moaning Gamer Rule May 12, 2003, 12:57 Morgan19

Bitch when they do, bitch when they don't.

m19

22. Re: DrEvil May 12, 2003, 12:45 Morgan19

Hmm, if that's the case I have to wonder about the logic behind their anger. To be mad that you have three (or more) great games rather than one doesn't seem to make much sense. Aren't choices and the availability of options supposed to be good things? Personally it seems to me that having wo great sequels and a good port out would make gamers happy: again, if you're a gamer, variety and "a whole bunch of stuff to do" seems like it'd be good.

Unless what you're getting at is that the supposedly dated Halo won't do as well because the other more modern shooters are coming out. That makes sense as well, but again, I don't think it's any reason to be angry about this. What do consumers care, apart from sequels and add-ons, if a particular game does well? Seems like the devs/publishers would be more rowdy about that than gamers.

The last interpretation I can think of (comments about D3 and HL2 aside, then) is that you're saying PC gamers would be mad that it's taken so long to come out and that some features (like co-op, it seems) then might not even make the cut. If I had been gunning for PC Halo all these years, I'd be glad it's coming out at all!

Just conversing, trying to get some different sides to light.

m19

19. Re: Halo singleplayer? May 12, 2003, 12:31 Morgan19

At least in regards to this article, that would make sense because it focuses on MP and how the PC version of multiplayer will differ or emulate the prior version. But I haven't heard much about SP either.

m19

17. Ports May 12, 2003, 12:26 Morgan19

Regarding the "apart from 6 maps, what's changing?" comment. Like I mentioned below, the last console experience I had was with my NES and SNES, but what changes are usually made when porting a game? The only things I can think of off the top of my head are incresed resolution, controls for mouse/keyboard rather than controller, and beefed-up ("real," if you will :)) multiplayer. What exactly (apart from co-op, which seems to be a split as to whether people care about it or not) is it that they're doing or not doing with the PC port that has people up in arms?

(EDIT-) Oh, and for Gandhi: a general w00t.

m19

This comment was edited on May 12, 12:28.

13. Huh. May 12, 2003, 11:46 Morgan19

Guess I'll be the minority for today's class. I don't own an Xbox, had the chance to try Halo a couple times in-store, couldn't care less about co-op, and am therefore looking forward to this one on the PC despite however long ago it was originally released. Not everyone has an Xbox, PS2, PC, Gamecube, etc. etc. to throw around.

m19

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Previews
41. Re: #32 May 8, 2003, 22:30 Morgan19

Oh shush.

m19

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Previews
29. Re: #20 May 8, 2003, 20:47 Morgan19

Your image link is broken, doesn't show anything.

m19

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Preview
14. Re: I'm dumb May 8, 2003, 11:19 Morgan19

Three answers for the price of one!

m19

8. Re: City17 May 8, 2003, 11:09 Morgan19

Is City17 where HL2 is taking place? I haven't been keeping up with the now-possible influx of HL2 news and that's the first I've heard that name.

m19

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
4. Re: Far Cry May 8, 2003, 11:00 Morgan19

I think you guys are being a bit hard on them. After reading through the article briefly and looking at the shots myself, I have to admit that that's pretty damn impressive for a "small German company"'s engine that was originally just a tech demo. Maybe the lighting isn't up to snuff, but those environments are beautiful, especially the couple beach/jungle-looking shots... Vibrant, rich colors, a pretty realistic-looking soldier model, and very sharp textures.

Maybe it's because my age-group was in on the days of DOOM and Q1 (not knowing how old you guys are), but the things recent shooters can do and display have me amazed. You guys are too jaded.

(EDIT-) And now to be a total hypocrite (heh), I thought the same thing about those Breed clouds, Dookie. The tiling doesn't look natural, considering that when you look at Earth from space you can see hurricanes and naturally-flowing cloud ebbs. But that aside, that's a VERY impressive display of what their engine can do.

m19

This comment was edited on May 8, 11:22.

6. Re: find some (new to me) screenies here May 8, 2003, 10:50 Morgan19

Nice shots there, Elvis. I really like the atmosphere and architecture of the European-looking (French or Italian?) street in the second one, that's a nice departure from the HL we're used to. The Starship Troopers-esque aliens in the water're pretty creepy too, and that last shot looks like it could be out of a newspaper article. Very cool indeed!

(EDIT-) lol, And some of those comments are worth sifting through, at least the ones I can read.

m19

This comment was edited on May 8, 10:52.

News Comments > More on UT2004?
22. Re: to hebrew_national May 2, 2003, 09:13 Morgan19

As for "exercise", your opinions need exercise. They're kind of flabby.

That's the best reply I've ever heard.

m19

News Comments > Elite Force II Trailer
6. Re: Subject Matter May 2, 2003, 08:42 Morgan19

No.

n19

News Comments > Breed Trailer
5. Re: Demo May 1, 2003, 16:03 Morgan19

What's CDV?

m19

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo