Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jamie

Real Name Jamie   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Morgan19
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 21, 2001, 00:09
Total Comments 1061 (Pro)
User ID 11406

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > UT2K3 Troopers
10. Re: no assault mod Jul 15, 2003, 13:08 Morgan19

...and no assault mod.

But wait, what's this? Is it UT2k3 Assault I hear? Why yes, it is!!

http://ut2k3assault.hopto.org/
http://mods.moddb.com/1029/

m19

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Is this any good? Jul 15, 2003, 11:57 Morgan19

Yeah, but too bad I keep goofing the italics tag and Edit won't let me change it. Keep giving me a blank screen.

m19

5. Re: Is this any good? Jul 15, 2003, 11:45 Morgan19

But I'm not pulling up that link...

Just for you... %):D If you only have two seconds, select-all, copy and paste into Word, and read til you're content!

Well, we promised it to you, and here it is. With the mod releasing sometime tomorrow, and the team working harder than ever on finishing it up, here's a full-fledged feature list to whet your appetites even further!
* All modification artwork, audio work, music, and models in Troopers are 100% original: nothing has been copied or taken from sources other than UT2K3 itself, and then only minimally.
* Over 49.000 lines of code, resulting in some of the most advanced systems youíve ever seen in a mod. Every line of code that is not Epicís has been written by Troopers.
* Three player models including the Stormtrooper and the Fleet Rebel.
* Six distinct skins, combined with the models to make eight different characters. Each character has a detailed personal history, as explained in the character biographies.
* Four weapons from the Star Wars universe: the DH-17 Blaster Pistol, E-11 Blaster Rifle, A280 Heavy Blaster, and the DLT-19 Blaster Rifle. All weapons have high-detail skins and unique, custom animations.
* Each weapon features at least two distinct fire modes; the E-11 has three.
* Three completely tested, themed maps, built with entirely new assets from the ground up. Capture the Flag in the swamps of Dagobah, fight alongside your teammates in an abandoned Massassi temple on Yavin IV, or struggle for the control of an Endor AT-AT Hangar Ė itís all possible.
* Three game types featuring both Capture the Flag and Team Deathmatch tailored to Troopers gameplay, as well as the new CleanSweep gametype, a combination of some of the best capture-and-hold gametypes from various games, with a unique Troopers twist slotted in.
* Four brand-new music tracks that combine classic themes with the charged pace of tactical action.
* An enormous amount of newly-created sounds, ranging from the smallest items like simple menu clicks, to bolts whizzing by your head, machines making idle noises as you pass them by in-game, weapons reloading, players grunting and screaming in pain; every single sound effect in Troopers is original and high-quality.
* Two custom voice packs, one for each side. If you ever wanted to tell Rebel scum to die, now is your chance. The code behind the voice packs has been augmented to allow for a subdivision of the ďOtherĒ sounds into multiple categories. Orders that are given through the speech menu are accompanied by character gestures.
* A new announcer voice that replaces the constant rambling of the sport commentator in the background. The functionality of announcements has been updated to be effective, yet not annoying.
* Four separately designed, modeled, and audibly distinct recharge stations that allow you to patch your wounds and recharge drained power packs in the heat of battle.
* Several advanced emitter effects to please the eye. The life of a blaster bolt is surrounded by emitters, from itís creation in the weapon barrel to the destruction on the armor of a Storm Trooper: there are effects to accompany it all.
* A completely dynamic menu-configurable Heads-Up Display! The Troopers HUD can be completely configured from the in-game menus, from size and dimension to the placement of every single piece, or its lack of presence at all. If you would prefer to have your chat window on the lower left, extended so it can hold more messages, and the score on the upper right, then youíll have that setup in a matter of seconds by using the HUD configuration system.
* Per-character arms. In most games, the character arms viewed in first person donít match with those of the third person character. Not so in Troopers. Every character has its own arm skin, making sure that everything matches up perfectly.
* A completely unique aiming system that creates a challenge for both newcomers and veterans! The aiming in Troopers is centered around the weapon barrel itself. Barrel location has been stored in all weapon models, which is queried when the blaster fires. Your projectile will follow the exact path in which the weapon barrel is pointing at the time you fire. Various physical situations like jumping, running, crouching and rapidly firing have an effect on the control of the weapon, which results in the weapon bobbing in your hands.
* A dynamic reticule to go with the new aiming system. The reticule in Troopers shows, at all times, exactly where a projectile shot from the weapon at that time will hit. This allows veterans to carefully time their shots, with pinpoint accuracy, while beginners can use the reticule like they would in any other game.
* An advanced web query system is built into the server browser. A Troopers Message of the Day has been added to the server browser, which displays along with the default UT2003 MotD. This Message of the Day is retrieved from our web servers, or in the case that fails, one of the backup servers. There is support for a specific MotD for every build of Troopers. The Troopers web servers are also queried to check if you are running the latest version of the game. If youíre not, you will be notified of this with a clickable URL leading to download location for the update. Last but not least, there is a query for the latest IRC channel. When Troopers hosts a chat or other IRC based event, the in-game chat client can automatically be set to that server and channel.
* New player animation set. You wonít find double jumping Stormtroopers in our mod. The animations have been tailored to a more realistic universe, and the taunt animations include some classics.
* Severely augmented Artificial Intelligence. The bots in Troopers can do anything that a human can do, from reloading their weapons, to swapping empty weapons for better ones or enemy weapons, to recharging themselves at recharge stations, to controlling CleanSweep CapPoints; they can do it all. In addition, a great deal of effort has been put into making the AI play like they would in the movies, resulting in dynamic Squad creation systems and more coherent Squad play among bots. A spawning bot will decide if it is, at that time, better to start a new Squad and go after an as-yet uncovered objective, or to join the Squad of someone nearby. When Squad members see that their Squad leader is getting far away from them, they request him to wait up. Special algorithms decide whether the leader should wait up or not. Once in a squad, the bots will stick to the leader, resulting in several packs of tightly grouped Stormtroopers roaming the maps. Weapon AI code has been customized so the bots know what the best weapon is for each situation, and when to use which firing mode.
* Customized User Interface. The UT2003 menus have been modified to fit in Troopers and to show Troopers-related information only. The boring UT2003 loading screens have been replaced by stylized screenshots of the map being loaded, under which a unique story for each map is displayed. For custom maps, there is support for custom loading screens with their own stories.
* Extended authorship has been performed for Troopers. There is an advanced game manual, release notes, a Troopers mapping guide, in-game loading screen stories, character biographies, map descriptions, and more. All the information has it roots in the Star Wars extended universe: every piece of the story has a motivation and background.
* Target Identification and Objective Identification systems are incorporated to stimulate team play and help you find your way around to all of the objectives.

m19

Edit- Ahh! Finally got the italics fixed.
This comment was edited on Jul 15, 11:57.

News Comments > BF1942 BoB Map Released
9. Re: 44MB Map Jul 11, 2003, 14:08 Morgan19

Just checked my Tribes (1) directory, it's still only about 144 megs.

m19

News Comments > The Sims: Makin' Magic Announced
16. Re: but.... Jul 9, 2003, 13:05 Morgan19

#12, they're true

So's half the stuff fred posts about sitting on various body parts, but it's still a waste of space.

m19

News Comments > The Sims: Makin' Magic Announced
12. Re: ... Jul 9, 2003, 12:31 Morgan19

Yes, we get it: everyone has to insert a "milk the franchise!!!111" post after any and all news stories regarding The Sims. You know what? These types of posts are getting more stale and cliched than the thing you're supposedly bashing, folks. Give it up already, it's not original or even remotely witty any more.

m19
Edited for spelling
This comment was edited on Jul 9, 12:33.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
5. Re: 2k3 & 2k4 differences Jul 8, 2003, 13:34 Morgan19

Granted, but the at least the first couple posts listed the differences.

m19

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
3. Re: 2k3 & 2k4 differences Jul 8, 2003, 13:15 Morgan19

Google is a wonderful thing:

http://www.leveldesigner.com/forums/index.php?action=thread&ID=1887

m19

News Comments > Tech Bits
5. Re: iTunes Jul 5, 2003, 11:48 Morgan19

...coming from Chilli Peppers and Metallica, since just about everyone of their tracks are good.

Highly debatable.

m19

News Comments > New Q3A Maps
13. TA Jul 1, 2003, 09:12 Morgan19

I enjoyed TA as well, after picking it up from Amazon for about $10 in 2001. Although I haven't touched it in a while (Q3 isn't even installed on my machine anymore), TA was a blast, especially for a through-and-through Tribes player who's used to wide-open terrain. As for it being buggy... Eh? What was buggy about it? It ran, didn't crash, and worked like it was supposed to. The Excessive server (until it vanished) was especially fantastic as well: nothing could quite compare to people flying through the sky on "lightning" grapples with a billion BFG blasts raining down. The "runes" (though hardly original) added a nice twist too, especially scout. Great weapon additions and a totally different map style helped round out Q3 gameplay.

m19

News Comments > TRIBES Vengeance Q&A
95. Re: No doubt Jun 28, 2003, 10:26 Morgan19

#78 you obviously did not read a single one of my posts, thus I do not feel the need to respond.

HA! I'm sorry, but that's the lamest way to pout in the corner and not have any valid reply. "Thus" my ass, learn to hold an argument or debate sometime instead of hiding. That's fine if you feel your time's worthy enough to reply to a well known figure, but c'mon, at least don't come up with a stupid "my holy self does not deem your reply woooorthy of my time, verily!" answer because you've been hurt by your own hypocrisy. I'm very, very sorry if members on the board put you in your place, but don't make US look like the stupid ones when you didn't even follow your own advice. It's no secret you hold some long-standing bitter grudge with Tribes, and it's pretty obvious that that's feeding your emotions in your "thoughtful" posts. Live and learn, and deal with what you say before harping on others for not doing the same, twit.

At least Psyc took the time to reply, he can back up his opinions in a calm way. You might learn some good tips from him, hard though that might be for you.

m19

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 10:42.

78. Re: No subject Jun 27, 2003, 17:29 Morgan19

Oh pleeeeeeeeeease, don't go Snippy McSnipperson just because someone proved you wrong. You had every chance to "use google" to research your facts before you posted, and everyone else has every right to correct you if you're not even willing to do what you preach. %):o

As for this...

T2 wasn't a finished game 5 months after it was released, and I never even played the retail. Massive bugs, poor gameplay, and limited intrest doomed this project from the start.

...it's called "living in the past" and using facts out of context to back up your stale and oh-so-cliched stance. You readily admit that you never played the retail, yet you're 187% positive that the game is terrible? That's pretty shaky ground, especially since you're not even referencing the final product that so many play now. Even the majority of posts in this thread have only praise for Tribes. Sorry bubs, your kind that keep harping back to T2's initial release (interesting how you completely ignore T1, too... You must not've been born yet %)) as grounds for trashing it are outdated, stale, and not even remotely original. So perhaps you should research originality before you, what was it, ejaculate crap all over the board, mmm? Awfully defensive, considering how hypocritical your whole reply was. Pessimistic people like you are getting so tiresome.

m19
(Edited for additions & typos)

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 17:35.

75. Re: No doubt Jun 27, 2003, 16:23 Morgan19

No offense, but you basically shot your opinion in the foot with this:

Tribes needs something other than capture the flag, because CTF makes a map smaller than it could really be.

Uh, yeah... Apart from CTF there's these little things called Defend and Destory, Capture and Hold, Deathmatch, Team Rabbit, Hunters, Bounty, and Siege, between T1 and T2. So I'm clueless as to how 7+ gametypes (nevermind the countless mods) other than CTF managed to slip under your radar.

because CTF makes a map smaller than it could really be

Not sure what you mean by that. If you're implying that players tend to only focus on two points (where the flags are) in CTF, then you're right, you really don't have a clue what the Tribes series is really like. In the Quake or HL series, yes, CTF might make the maps seem pointless, but there's always something else to do in Tribes. Pilot an attack group somewhere, set up defense, snipe out in the countryside, disable the enemy base, do reconnaissance, set up boobytraps...

I hated it from the start.

Yes, not giving something a chance is a sure-fire way to not understand or appreciate it. But if you didn't have the patience or focus to really take more than 5 minutes to enjoy something... Eh, that's your loss. And let me guess. You didn't touch the training levels in either T1 or T2, did you? Ya think maybe that has something to do with why it was "confusing and over-complex," mmm?

But I can't get over the fact that there will never be adisk-shooter gun in the army, or that bases will look that retarded.

Personally, I love all the troops running around these days with triple-barreled rocket launchers, lightning guns, inseect shooters, Translocators, BFGs, Redeeme-- oh, wait... Yeah. I can see how a disc makes a game bad. Again, if you're that shallow, Tribes doesn't need players like you. As for the bases, that's personal opinion but I don't see how a Tribes base is any different than something in the Quake or Unreal series, except maybe for the fact that you can actually see the outside of it and go miles beyond it. You say you can play scifi games but then trash Tribes because it's "not based in reality." Seems like you don't quite have your opinion straight there, bucko.

And finally, in-game mouse driven menus are terrible for 1 reason: it takes too long to move the mouse

What in-game menu in Tribes needs to be faster? T1 and T2 both have favorites: you like using numbers? Fine, set your favorites, get into the inventory station, hit the number, and you're done. What's the problem?

All in all, though your post has its fair share of valid opinions, your general reasoning is pretty lame and just shows your inability to really give anything a chance, nevermind that you got your major "this is where Tribes died" fact completely wrong.

m19
(Edited for typos)

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 16:31.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
9. Re: evercrack? Jun 27, 2003, 15:25 Morgan19

Or Morrowind! WIth the insanely "lots to do" base game + 2 expansions, you guys'd have tons of RPGing.

(EDIT-) Oooo hey The Truth, I popped by your website and noticed you have some logo problems? I'd love to take a shot at it (I'm a designer) if you still are needy.

m19

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 15:28.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
7. Re: evercrack? Jun 27, 2003, 14:41 Morgan19

So anybody got any tips as to how to not get addicted?

I've never touched it (or any other MMORPG for that matter), but from what I hear it's nigh impossible to "casually" play EQ due to its slow levelling and general "do something and then wait" type play mechanics. I'm pretty damn sure that the whole point of the game is to "get addicted." Otherwise they wouldn't make any money. Personally I stay away from anything that you have to pay $50 upfront plus $XX every month just to waste time with something that has no discernible positive result.

I'd check out FF: Crystal Chronicles on the Gamecube if you want an RPG you can play with her, I think it's supposed to have 4-player capability.

m19

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 14:49.

68. Simple: We'll be playing, you won't. Jun 27, 2003, 09:54 Morgan19

What it comes down to is that those of us who've taken the time (and have the desire) to adapt to the different styles of T1 and/or T2 versus other FPSs will be enjoying T:V while the brainless idiots spouting "who wants to shoot a spinning disc??" and "jetpack?! might as well play a flight sim!" stick with their grounded shooters. Yes, everyone's allowed their opinion, but deciding T:V will suck because T2 was buggy (which was fixed a LONG time ago, get over it) or being lame enough to think if a weapon isn't a rocket launcher, it's not good is beyond comprehension. God forbid a design team make something that looks different from rocket launcher, shotgun, machine gun, sniper rifle. And bashing the series because of the jetpacks? Yikes, talk about a closed mind! If those who think the packs are stupid had actually played the game to comptency at all, you'd realize what a fantastic dimension it adds to gameplay. Honestly, come up with better reasons.

It comes down to you're either willing to give the series a chance if you've never played, or adjusting to the changes from 1 and 2 if you have. Bitch and moan about jetpacks and the spinfusor all you want, but the oh-so-popular saying applies: if you don't like it, don't play; it'll leave more room for those of us who actually care.

As for comparing T:V to the new DOOM or HL games, that's retarded, both in the sense that he's saying it and that gamers are latching on and actually using that as a valid comparison! The same thing happened back when T1 came out: people tried to compare it to the batch of FPSs at the time. But it was pointless because of several issues, not the least of which that a) T1 was MP-only and b) its environment and play mechanics were totally different from any other FPS. Comparing T1 to, say Q2, was apples and oranges, and the same applies now. Yes, it's a FPS, but it's nowhere near the same type of game as DOOM or HL. Yeesh.

m19

Edited... Posted before I was done! ;)
This comment was edited on Jun 27, 10:14.

News Comments > TRIBES Vengeance Screenshots
45. Re: Tribes! Jun 20, 2003, 09:58 Morgan19

Well we're all very sorry if you can't figure out how to patch a game, but that's not really the game's problem...

m19

6. Re: TKers! Jun 19, 2003, 08:58 Morgan19

While I can say you both are game-ruining idiots %), I have to admit I know how utilizing an annoying tactic could be great in T1. Again talking about T1 Ren, it was always so much fun to take a deployable scout or interceptor out, ram an enemy at full speed, and jump out just before the crash so they die and you don't. Granted you didn't get the kill, but it was amazingly fun. What was even better was waypointing a particular enemy player and repeatedly crashing into them throughout the match... That got more than a few people peeved.

That being said, one thing I hope they fix is the vehicles. While the T2 ships are "easier" to pilot in the sense that they have better maneuverability and you can do neat stunts in them, I don't like the "center axis" control on them. The T1 ships had a "rear stick" effect so that when you were controlling them, it felt like the plane was attached to a long stick... It at one end and you at the other, so that going up or down felt "right."

In any case, yay for T:V.

m19

1. T:V Jun 18, 2003, 17:11 Morgan19

Odd. Anyone else just getting a white content area from that link? All I have where it looks like text should be is the title and "17:05" in blue. On the other hand, there are two more nice-looking screenshots. The second one look especially Tribe-ish, and I'm excited that, since it'll be a prequel, there appears to be controllable "from inside the turret" turrets.

m19

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Destroying people's computers Jun 18, 2003, 10:18 Morgan19

I know, let's chop off the person's hands if they steal something!

Oh, wait...

m19

1061 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo