Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jamie

Real Name Jamie   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Morgan19
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 21, 2001, 00:09
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 11406

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
3. Re: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 Feb 7, 2009, 23:40 Morgan19

@#1

m19

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Call of Duty: World at War Patch Today
1. Re: Call of Duty: World at War Patch Tod Feb 6, 2009, 08:48 Morgan19

Would be nice if they fixed the issue of trying to connect to a server killing your Internet connection instead... You know, a basic thing that would actually make the game playable.

Perhaps this is the issue?

>> Fixed router related server authentication errors.

m19

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2009, 08:49.

News Comments > Diablo III Video Interview
10. Re: Diablo III Video Interview Feb 4, 2009, 18:16 Morgan19

I never got into DII, instead focusing on the DOOMs and Baldur's Gates of the time. That being said, I've been tinkering around in Titan's Quest Gold recently and am now really looking forward to this...

m19

News Comments > Activision & "Bullshots"?
2. Re: Activision & Jan 29, 2009, 08:48 Morgan19

Do you shun 99% of the food at your supermarket?

I'm just curious, how is this any different than the image doctoring the food industry does? When was the last time you saw a hamburger or salad that looks as good as it does in ads, on the price board, etc.?

Not saying I agree with the practice, but it's not like this is isolated to game advertising...

m19

News Comments > Dead Space Postmortem
10. Re: Dead Space Postmortem Jan 28, 2009, 09:29 Morgan19

Hardly.

Turning off vsync only fixes mouse stutter in the ESC menus: mouse controls in game are "by design", as admitted by the game designers themselves, sluggish to "match the console experience".

Someone here had linked to a config file where you can bump up mouse sensitivity to shooter levels, but then stuff like the HUD is way too sensitive instead.

Either way, the controls are still screwy and hardly "responsive as any PC shooter".

m19

News Comments > UT3 "Titan Pack" Plans
20. Re: UT3 Jan 26, 2009, 22:12 Morgan19

Quite possibly!

m19

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
13. Oi. Jan 19, 2009, 10:07 Morgan19

...and now the site/page is down completely.

Awesome-r.

m19

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 18, 2009, 18:09 Morgan19

One of my internal drives is on the list. I tried following the links and got to the registration page; finished registering, no email, and now the link goes right to a "login failed" when I try and access their email link. Clearing cookies does nothing and it tells me my registration already exists, but I can't use it because it never actually finished registering. I've read the same thing having happened to multiple folks on other boards as well.

Basically, because they make you contact THEM instead of just having the firmware available for download, I can't email them to get it like they say you should.

Awesome. Yay customer service.

m19

This comment was edited on Jan 18, 2009, 18:22.

10. Higher DPI Jan 15, 2009, 17:19 Morgan19

He replaced it with one that has a 2000 DPI and the mouse movent was increased 2 fold.

Do you know if a higher DPI mouse gets rid of the "floaty" feel? I just have a hard time rooting for a single game out of almost three decades' worth I"ve been playing that requires you to upgrade your mouse, of all things, to enjoy adequately.

A little off-topic, but...

Regardless, that's not an option for me (that I know of). I'm still using my faithful Logitech Mouseman Dual Optical for two reasons: 1) it works great with 99.9% of games (Dead Space apparently being the one exception and 2) the thumb button is placed perfectly at the *bottom* of the mouse's left side. My thumb rests right there and it's very easy to click. I've yet to find any modern mice that do that, as most thumb buttons are placed much farther up, more along the middle of the mouse's side: having to move my thumb up to click a button feels horribly awkward and not at all natural.

m19

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2009, 17:21.

4. Re: Dead Space Postmortem Jan 15, 2009, 15:01 Morgan19

Yep. Their "we've forced the mouse to be sluggish so you get that 'console experience'" crap absolutely killed the game. Turning vsync off and maxing mouse sensitivity helps the menu speed, but the in-game mouse sluggishness, and then insisting that it's a good thing, is just inexcusable.

m19

News Comments > Unofficial Arcanum Patch
15. Soundtrack Dec 31, 2008, 18:17 Morgan19

Thanks for pointing out that the soundtrack is available for download! I'd played Arcanum a bit back when it first came out, never really enough to remember the score; I'm listening through the mp3s now and it's perfect ambient/background music.

m19

News Comments > Game Reviews
15. Re: Game Reviews Dec 9, 2008, 15:53 Morgan19

Yet you still didn't post system specs.

Look at my first post, genius...

You still didn't clarify that to a more realistic problem

*sigh* Yes, I did. My post prior to this has an update with a real-world test. You were too busy berating me to see it, I guess?

Think what you want, dude. I was just posting my opinion on how one game vs. the other runs-- I'm not going to get into a bitchfest about this.

m19

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2008, 15:55.

13. Re: Game Reviews Dec 9, 2008, 15:39 Morgan19

*cough* BULLSHIT

You are extremely over-exaggerating, or your computer sucks monkey balls.

Thanks, you must be sitting here looking at my computer. How could I possibly know what it does, eh? Please.

Steam *starts* quickly, yes. But when I launch a game and it takes minutes to get through the "preparing the start XYZ" then yes, that's an issue. I've had the same experience on my old system and the one I just built that I'm on now. It's not my computer.

Steam starts up in under 20 seconds for me.

I bolded the part you should pay attention to. Not everyone is you, nor has your system. I thought it was fairly clear that I was posting on MY experience with Steam and why I didn't like it. Note that I didn't say it's what you should think. I honestly couldn't care less how it runs for you: if it's a hindrance to me in my experience, that's all that matters when it comes to how my games play.

(EDIT-) Just for kicks, I ran Crysis, GTAIV, and HL2 just now. From clicking on the icon to getting to each one's ingame menu, Crysis loaded in under 15 seconds, GTAIV in about 35 seconds, and HL2/Steam took almost four minutes-- again, with the most time at the "preparing the launch..." window. Call my computer crap if you want, but seeing that big of a difference between a hog like Crysis and the Steam-laden HL2 does stick out in my mind and, I think, would warrant a grimace in Steam's direction in my experience].

Yes, it's not quite the 5-10 minutes I'd said, granted. But when one supposedly bloatware-laden game like GTAIV starts that quickly compared to Steam, I'm prone to notice. My only point was that GTAIV's loading/programs isn't as bad FOR SOME PEOPLE as a lot of folks seem to be having experience with.

m19

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2008, 15:51.

9. Re: Game Reviews Dec 9, 2008, 12:25 Morgan19

Unless I'm mistaken, though, there's a difference– keyloggers are made specifically for facilitating the stealing of information. Is there any indication that LIVE or SocialClub do that? Do they do the whole "anonymously send info back home" thing? I don't mind having to run a couple extra background processes, as long as the don't get in the way– I'm not going to write the game off simply because of that requirement. Of course if there's ever any indication that either one is stealing info then yeah, that'd be a different story.

To be fair, I wouldn't purchase any other game that required this much hoop-jumping and do agree it's on the crazy side. But since I don't own a PS3 or 360 and probably never will, I jumped on the chance to play one of my favorite series on the platform I can and have been pleasantly surprised on how well it runs, even with the extra install of stuff, considering how many issues I've read about it.

So far I see this situation as akin to in-game ads: lots of people complain about them, but I'd rather enjoy a fun game than simply writing it off because of an ad on a billboard that I'll never pay attention to anyway. Like I said before, if the extra couple programs don't harm my computer, don't steal info, and don't affect the game's performance, I'm okay with it to play a game I really want to play.

(It's interesting folks are comparing this to Steam and applaud the latter's existence– I absolutely hate Steam for the simple reason that it usually adds 5-10 minutes of extra startup, loading, etc. to a game like HL2. THAT is a perfect example of the "extra" software getting in the way of my enjoyment of a game.)

To each their own, of course. I still feel bad for the people having technical or software issues and feel a lot of them could've been avoided without the extra software or some more QA, but I don't think writing the whole game off is entirely fair.

m19

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2008, 13:56.

1. Re: Game Reviews Dec 9, 2008, 01:33 Morgan19

So based on the replies I got on this morning's review of GTA, I took a chance and picked it up this evening.

...I have to wonder if I'm playing the same game everyone else is. o_O The install(s) went fine-- the only hiccup I had was LIVE crashing once when I first signed up and it hasn't happened again. Got into the game and my setting were set to texture:Medium and render:High. The only setting that bumps up the "available resources" number was view distance; I've maxed out Detail Distance and Shadow Density with no discernible performance hit. It feels very, very weird playing with keyboard/mouse as I've been using to playing past versions on the PS2, so I might fall back on old habits and pick up an XBOX controller instead.

I *will* say that this is honestly the first game where I've felt like I'm being "granted the privilege" of playing what I've paid for, with the extra stuff to install and agree to. But even so, the Live and SocialClub aspects of it (so far, anyway) seem almost invisible to me, apart from the initial in-your-face'ness.

Here're a few of the pertinent system components (built within the last month), if anyone is interested for comparison's sake:

CPU: Intel C2D E8400
GPU: 9800 GTX+
Memory: 4GB DDR2 (XP recognizes 3.25 of it)

From what I was reading, I thought my core2 system would've choked on the game but, apart from some extremely goofy-looking shadows, it's playing like a champ.

(EDIT-) Got to play a bit more and the only other issue I've seen is the ground texture went transparent on me when I ESC out of the main menu just now. Perhaps that's the missing texture syndrome some people have mentioned?

m19

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2008, 01:46.

News Comments > EA and Take-Two Take PhysX; Mirror's Edge Comparison
5. Re: EA and Take-Two Take PhysX; Mirror's Dec 8, 2008, 11:54 Morgan19

The comments on the video page mention that there's small print saying the PhysX version was slowed down after the fact.

m19

1. Re: Game Reviews Dec 8, 2008, 09:59 Morgan19

The install process includes the option to sign up to Rockstar's Social Club as well, which is necessary for online play, and performs an online security check to ensure that you are a legitimate customer and therefore qualify to be treated like a criminal.

That phrase is a little unclear– is it still necessary to sign up for and install Social Club if you don't play MP? If I ever pick up the PC version it'll be for SP only, so NOT having to use SC would be welcome. But then it sounds like it might be necessary for the online check, even if you're not using MP. Surprised Can someone clarify that?

m19

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. PS3 card Nov 25, 2008, 21:43 Morgan19

I've only ever owned one credit card in my life and am perfectly happy that way, but I'm curious... Is it feasible to sign up for the card, get the discounted PS3, and then immediately cancel the card once you've paid off the purchase?

m19

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2008, 21:44.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Nov 6, 2008, 09:27 Morgan19

Here in D.C., there've been Fallout banners, kiosk ads, and billboard ads in the underground Metro stations for the past month: great placement. It's incredibly creepy to see images of the ruined monuments and then walk above ground to see the real thing.

m19

News Comments > Sims 3 Interview
4. Re: Sims 3 Interview Nov 5, 2008, 11:11 Morgan19

I wish you could just build without worrying about money or just focus purely on the more fun stuff - I also found my characters would die before I'd manage anything meaningful with them.

You can– just track down the anti-aging and money "cheats", enable them, and there you go. I played Sims 2 that way and the game was immensely more enjoyable without having to worry about those two factors.

m19

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo