Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Zane

Real Name Zane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ewigekraft23
Email ewigeblumenkraft13@hotmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 12, 2001, 02:22
Total Comments 8 (Suspect)
User ID 10948

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
46. Re: What the hell? Jun 19, 2002, 22:10 Ewigekraft23

If a 16-year old went into Blockbuster and rented Gladiator and Platoon that Blockbuster would be breaking the law.  
--Ewigekraft23
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Typical... Jun 19, 2002, 22:07 Ewigekraft23

the reason that government needs to do these things is because there is always some idiot out there that would do these things if they weren't illegal...  
--Ewigekraft23

44. Re: No subject Jun 19, 2002, 22:05 Ewigekraft23

right now the ESRB rating system is a joint effort between most of the gaming industry and many retailers that sell video games, it is a privately-owned company and does not have the weight of law, meaning that the Senate (and house) would have to pass a bill to actually make it illegal.  
--Ewigekraft23

43. No subject Jun 19, 2002, 22:01 Ewigekraft23

i did a debate on this very topic, and if you look at the research it does make sense to impose some sort of fine against retailers who sell M-rated games to people under 17.

one senator (you might remember him as al gore's nomination for vice-president) referred to the ESRB rating system as one of the best rating systems in any industry.

there is statistical evidence that violent video games do in fact cause some sort of psychological damage to children (all they've really proven is that it slightly inhibits the ability to learn math in young children), but all of these are very minor and the impact is not proven to be any worse than when watching a violent movie or television show.

but, then again, movies have a rating system that is enforced--somewhat--effectively. several large retailers already enforce the ESRB rating system in their stores: Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, Sears, Montgomery Ward, etc. Many other stores are beginning to enforce the system: Electronics Boutique, Best Buy, and whatnot.

The argument that it is "unconstitutional" and that kids that buy M-rated games do so with their parents knowledge. This is bunk; and even if it wasn't it would be a moot point. I myself own many M-rated games: Unreal Tournament, Max Payne, Quake I-III, Soldier of Fortune I and II, Half-Life, and others. My parents, however, thing I waste hours away on my computer playing Homeworld over and over and over. They have no knowledge of what games I play, and have not been able to prevent me from buying any of them.

Even if the law were passed there is nothing saying that a parent cannot go and purchase an M-rated game and allow his child to play it; just as a parent can go and purchase an R-rated movie and allow his child to watch it. The bill only regulates retailers, it doesn't invade into the household.

I, personally, think it makes sense to enforce the ESRB rating system with fines against stores that sell M-rated games to minors. My debate class agreed with my partner and I unanimously, as well.

--Ewigekraft23

News Comments > More on the WTC Disaster (Updated)
543. Re: Ireland Sep 14, 2001, 10:26 Ewigekraft23

Well, said. This is the first article of any kind that I've seen that truly shows how big the world impact is in deaths alone.

Some of in America are smart enough to realize that this is not just our tragedy, and that there are just as many that feel sorrow abroad as there are here.

--Ewigekraft23

516. MS Flight Sim 2000 Sep 13, 2001, 21:11 Ewigekraft23

You know a thread is slowing down when you've posted the last three messages. Anyway, I thought this would interest a lot of people, considering this is a gaming site.

I'd like to say that I am not surprised, although somewhat offended that of all things the news is all-but-almost-blaming-in-at-least-some-part Microsoft Flight Simulator 2000. Now I'm not a huge fan of the game, but every time something happens in the world does the media have to find some way to blame video games? "For just $70 you can buy this game which includes high detail simulations of many cities, including New York City. For just another $30 you can buy this, a program that adds to the simulator a detailed model of an American Airlines Boeing 767. We had a licensed pilot in our building try out the software." "This program is not enough to actually learn how to fly the plane, but it might be good for a practice run like we just did here." "And even if this program was not enough, the manual that comes with it might be. Within the xx page manual for the simulator lies coordinates for many major world landmarks, the World Trade Center included among them." Yeah...right.

That's what I got of NBC news on the tv, here is an article also from NBC:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/628194.asp#BODY

Go read the article. If for some reason the link doesn't work post it on here and I'll put up a saved copy of the article.

--Ewigekraft23

515. Re: Why this is and who we think we are (2) Sep 13, 2001, 20:22 Ewigekraft23

I'm glad you are an intellectual, and although I don't agree with your tactics in getting us to come out and talk about it, but nonetheless I am glad you did.  
--Ewigekraft23

514. Re: Islamic People Sep 13, 2001, 20:18 Ewigekraft23

Re: 504

I could not have said it better myself. I said much earlier in message #281 that this must not become a witch hunt. As a country, rather a world, we should not stereotype Arabs or those of the Islamic faith based upon these few radicals. There are radical christians, radical jews, and radical republicans. Although I may not be, as the person who posted #504 was not, a Christian, I think that many readers here are. Do you consider yourself to have the same views as the most radical christians you can think of?

In any situation of life a small group cannot be used to represent a whole.

--Ewigekraft23

8 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo