Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr BS

Real Name Mr BS   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname xXBatmanXx
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 4149603
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 19, 2001, 17:26
Total Comments 18353 (Ninja)
User ID 10714

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
42. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2014, 20:04 xXBatmanXx

Hoop wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 16:28:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 14:51:
RE: PSH.

Whenever something like this happens, I'm always reminded of the line from Blade Runner: "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long." I don't know what demons he was facing, but I do know that many actors who are as talented as he was, often have trouble dealing with the believable personas they create for their movies. James Gandolfini did crazy things to deal with who he would become while playing Tony Soprano. And no one could forget Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker, especially not Heath Ledger who turned to sleeping pills to deal with the sleeplessness it drove him to.

Unlike many actors who simply play themselves, PSH could create characters and personalities out of whole cloth. It has to be stressful and somewhat mentally unhealthy to inhabit someone you're not for weeks or months during a shoot. So, while this is tragic, I was not living his life and can't judge him for what he did or what he was going through.

You are right with what you say but I believe ultimately it was this simple.
PSH is quoted saying a few years back when in rehab that he's always had a chronic addictive personality, drink, drugs the lot, all out or nothing. Now when you're a student & making your way up the ladder it's cheap booze & other peoples drugs, a ceiling of poverty that limits total indulgence. The guy never changed only now he can afford his own appartment to seperate himself from his family & all the heroine he could ever need, reports are thay found like 50 bags of the stuff up there. When all that money rolled in he must have looked at it like a loaded gun at the time.
TLDR:
Addictive pesonality limited mostly by what you can afford.

Well, he was a selfish prick then. In regards to:
PSH is quoted saying a few years back when in rehab that he's always had a chronic addictive personality, drink, drugs the lot, all out or nothing.

Guess it is selective? Could have chosen to be addicted to his family and kids.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2014, 10:40 xXBatmanXx

InBlack wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 06:47:
Holy Batman offtopic! Way to go Bats!

DROVE THAT SOB RIGHT INTO THE HILL DIDN'T I!?

I like reading the stuff....oh well.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
18. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Collection Feb 3, 2014, 10:35 xXBatmanXx

Klaus Flouride wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 06:30:
Finally!

I have been waiting months for this to go on sale. Steam didn't have it on their Holiday sale. I liked the xBox version.

Was free for PS+ members a while back.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2014, 00:34 xXBatmanXx

Wow. Hate to say it - was very painful to watch.....congrats 'Hawks....  

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 18:15 xXBatmanXx

jdreyer wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 18:04:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 15:53:
Don't forget Lebowski!

Drug od at 46? Hows that legal argument now?

Yeah, he was great in Lebowski.

That part where him and Lebowski are in the office and he has that laugh, his nostrils are flaring out - cracks me up everytime.

/no no no. It was a bad troll attempt and a shot over the bow. ie: more drugs = more deaths - dryer, he had everything avail to him - he was in treatment.....anyway. Please 1 state in the Union allow everything, and all of you move there. please.

k off to party. internet off - watching game on a delay.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2014, 18:22.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 15:53 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 15:22:
Hoop wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 15:20:
My favourite PSH role is "The Talented Mr Ripley" if you have never seen it go watch it, amazing performances all over the place.
Don't care for Jude Law, but in that movie he's very good.
Meh Matt Damon, but in this, his very best effort.
Enter Philip Seymour Hoffman, Just Kick arse.
I think Almost Famous and Boogie Nights are my two favs of his. But I don't think I ever saw him in a bad role, ever.

It was a genuine treat to see him in any movie, and he generally made any movie better.

So disappointed it ended like this...

Don't forget Lebowski!

Drug od at 46? Hows that legal argument now?

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 13:25 xXBatmanXx

Blue wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 10:56:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 10:15:
If you live there (I have never been and have no desire to even get close to the cess pool)

At least you're open-minded on the topic.

The square? Yea, would never even dream of going there. Are there things I want to see in NY? Sure, but it is pretty far down on the list.

The question: Is there anything there that someone who lives in NY needs to go to in that area? Don't people avoid it?

News Comments > PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales
11. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 13:13 xXBatmanXx

Blue wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 12:54:
netnerd85 wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 12:33:
14 million times $25 is $350,000,000

Many copies were sold at a much lower price, but the point still stands.

Wasnt early adoption like....1 to 3 dollars? I spent something tiny amount on it. Played for 5 hours, never went back.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 10:25 xXBatmanXx

Kingdoms of Amular was on sale a couple days ago, maybe last weekend. I didn't buy it, and glad I didn't. Was digging through my free PS+ games and realized I had downloaded it in Novemeber and played it for a while last night. Wow....that is the game they made? ummmm....it is bad. It looks kinda pretty, but the FOV is terrible, and the camera needs to be zoomed away from my character.

Pretty simple game - going to play through it just to see what all the hype/fuss is about...if I can stomach it....I am just not enjoying it at all...

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 10:15 xXBatmanXx

walrus1 wrote on Feb 1, 2014, 18:23:
As a New Yorker I can tell you this is having two negative effects on the city.

1. Times Square is more miserable then usual.
2. Like any other big event it's pulling cops out of Brooklyn I.E. areas that need them to baby sit tourists.

As a general rule of thumb it's best to always avoid Times Square and the 8 or so blocks around it. Unless your tourist in which case please stay there.

If you live there (I have never been and have no desire to even get close to the cess pool) wouldn't you avoid the square like ebola anyway? Is there something there that you need to do? I live in MPLS and although downtown mpls is the center of the city and where all the nightlife is - I haven't been "downtown" in years. No reason to go there....EVER. Unless you go to a T-Wolves game, which no one does cause they suck. Only thing to go to down there is First Ave where all of the good shows are. But you can park on the other side and not have to deal with our "Block E" where "everything is".....

56. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 10:07 xXBatmanXx

The rate of people seeking treatment for drug addiction rose by over 50%. That means less people on drugs and more people seeking help for the addictions they have.

huh? What are you smoking? Addiction treatment rose CAUSE USE/ADDITICTION ROSE! Wow.....

53. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2014, 20:51 xXBatmanXx

Beamer wrote on Feb 1, 2014, 19:57:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 1, 2014, 19:43:
/deleted - went on a big long spin - no one cares.

Make things legal, let people take whatever they want, but it will take a TON of legislation to deal with the destruction that it causes. No one cares if shit bird drug addict does xyz to themselves, but they disrupt A LOT a long the way and the destruction is a large swath far and wide.....we will pay for it as a whole - the money for the "drug war" will just be money for the "fix me war".....

I don't have the answers. I have great solutions that no one likes. There will be a time when people will say enough is enough.....we will have enough victims that they will be loud one day....until then, turds will be turds and continue to be turds cause jail is not big deal.

The "1%" problem is growing...

It's not worth it.
The libertarian "it should be legal, what, because some people may have an issue it isn't?" argument is an idiotic one. It doesn't actually address why something should be legal, just why it shouldn't be illegal.

And it runs into huge flaws because it's only used for something that individual wants to be legal. You can easily find things illegal that they happily agree shouldn't be legal, without them realizing the logic they're applying is solely personal opinion.

Which is why I laugh at the MJ argument. "Cause it has medical benefits" yea for the .05%, the rest of you just want to get high.

THIS

Parents need to be charged. In every case.

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 2014, 21:37.

51. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2014, 19:43 xXBatmanXx

/deleted - went on a big long spin - no one cares.

Make things legal, let people take whatever they want, but it will take a TON of legislation to deal with the destruction that it causes. No one cares if shit bird drug addict does xyz to themselves, but they disrupt A LOT a long the way and the destruction is a large swath far and wide.....we will pay for it as a whole - the money for the "drug war" will just be money for the "fix me war".....

I don't have the answers. I have great solutions that no one likes. There will be a time when people will say enough is enough.....we will have enough victims that they will be loud one day....until then, turds will be turds and continue to be turds cause jail is not big deal.

The "1%" problem is growing...

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 2014, 19:55.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Announcement This Month?
19. Re: Duke Nukem Announcement This Month? Feb 1, 2014, 19:10 xXBatmanXx

No thanks. Leaving my Duke memories in the past. The last one was a horrible idea.  

News Comments > PC GTA5 Preorders This Week?
32. Re: PC GTA5 Preorders This Week? Feb 1, 2014, 18:08 xXBatmanXx

Sat @ 5 PM CST.

Guess bogus.

*SHOCKING!*

48. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2014, 16:19 xXBatmanXx

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 1, 2014, 15:31:
Sure. If you let it, almost anything can fuck up your life. But you know whose problem that is? YOURS. Making things illegal doesn't change that, it just makes problems for other people.

The problem is that YOUR problem becomes MY PROBLEM then infringes on my FREEDOMS and LIBERTIES, per definition. I just don't understand the idea of "well just open up everything for everyone" - people can't even handle what is legal, and you want to open up Pandora's box to a gamut of garbage......

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 2014, 16:28.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2014, 12:55 xXBatmanXx

I have read some things and heard on some tubes and radios that there is a "lack of things to do" in relation to the NFL experience there....

I remember when the SB was here in Minneapolis, they used the Civic Center as a home base and did "The NFL Experience". Meet and greets with players, coaches, NFL people, etc. Stars, kick field goals, run relays and the top people each couple hours ran against people like Barry Sanders (have a friend that ran against him - was funny to watch) things like that.

One commentator said, once you leave this immediate area, you wouldn't even know the SB was here....weird.

And I think people are forgetting the game is in Jersey......

44. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2014, 01:08 xXBatmanXx

jdreyer wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 22:44:
@ Bats.

I hear you. We have two bad choices:

1. Make them illegal and deal with all the consequences of illegality: empowered and enriched organized crime, increased crime rate across the board to support drug habits, poor quality drugs that effect users' health, etc. This is our current situation.

2. Make them legal, or decriminalize them and deal with the possibility of increased usage. This is our current situation with alcohol, for example.

We've been doing 1. above for 40 years, to no effect. I feel it's time to try something new. A few more articles:

Retired police Capt. Peter Christ argues in favor of legalization.

Portugal decriminalized all drugs 12 years ago and replaced it with a system to treat addicts, similar to my Liverpool example earlier. Drug abuse in Portugal has fallen by half in that period.

And I agree that meth is nasty, nasty shit that destroys your brain. But the reason people turn to meth is that it's easy to make locally, unlike cocaine and heroin. Still I feel decriminalizing it and getting these people into a treatment program is a better use of the money than what we're doing currently. The addict is going to take the meth either way.

I see people barley hanging on with a sober life everyday - I can't imagine throwing drugs on top of it.....

39. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2014, 17:14 xXBatmanXx

Creston wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 16:29:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 14:20:
I simply believe in freedom and personal responsibility.

There is no such thing as personal responsibility in the US. It's always someone else's fault.

If we instilled an actual idea of personal responsibility in this country, we could legalize every hard drug ever invented for all I care. As long as the users then understand that they don't get to go to hospitals on my dime.

*ding.

Need to see if I can find data on blood dialysis patients. See what the increase is over the last 20 years.....

I actually like that States are doing it on a State level, the way laws were supposed to be done. I just hope Obama keeps his....ah crap....he just talked about it didn't he. What an idiot.

State issues need to stay at State level. Glad it is in those States, flock to those areas, let them pay the price. I don't want to be around it, so I won't move to those States. Problem solved.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2014, 16:10 xXBatmanXx

There was an experiment in Liverpool in the 90s. All drugs could be obtained by prescription if A) the person registered with the gov't. B) they attended a once-weekly narcotics anonymous meeting. The drugs were clean, cost the users $5 a month or some pittance, etc. The result: theft dropped by half, prostitution by 2/3s, etc. etc. It basically destroyed the illicit drug market in that city b/c no one could compete with the gov't on price. Why we can't have a sensible conversation about drug laws and illegality in this country is so frustrating. At least we're getting somewhere with the legalization of MJ in CO and WA.

What about the long term effects on the body, addiction, need more over time to have same effect, people driving around on narcotics, people working on narcotics, etc etc etc.

I read the price of MJ in CO a couple weeks ago, and isn't like 2x-3x more than the black market? Not sure how that is going to pan out. It is an experiment, and I am glad I don't live there. It will be ineteresting that is for sure.

It will kickstart all sorts of rules at work, laws, etc etc into what will be considered legal and what wont. (and even spawn some serious privacy issues) For instance. At work, we don't have random checks but the city public works has random weekly checks. It is a lottery. Your name comes up, go pee in a cup. I am sure employers in CO are battling with all sorts of issues.....again....glad I don't live/work in CO or WA.

But, if we get in a critical incident, we go to the hospital and draw blood. No questions asked. (which is why I took time off from work when I was taking the meds)

18353 Comments. 918 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo