Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr BS

Real Name Mr BS   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname xXBatmanXx
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 4149603
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 19, 2001, 17:26
Total Comments 17897 (Ninja)
User ID 10714

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2014, 21:15 xXBatmanXx

R.I.P.: 'Band of Brothers' veteran William Guarnere dies. Thanks nin.

RIP hero. Have been fortunate enough to meet and know an individual the story is based on. Great men. Great stories.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2014, 22:42 xXBatmanXx

ugh...was a long day getting up earlier...not a morning person at all...

One Button Vania.

Did a triple take on the V word.....

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2014, 07:18.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 7, 2014, 16:58 xXBatmanXx

LittleMe wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 12:33:
Ozmodan wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 12:12:
it is basically untraceable.

What?!?! The entire ledger is public information. It's far more traceable than US dollars! We could be so lucky if our major institutions used Bitcoins, we would see and be able to scrutinize all the corruption and waste imposed on us.

Sure, but I have never had money stolen from my account.....

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2014, 20:56 xXBatmanXx

Redmask wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 16:26:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 15:01:
Yea, take away the calculators and lets retest those same kids! There are several studies that point the direct opposite. In fact most kids and adults couldn't pass some elementary classes from 1900.

What studies are you referring to?

I keep reading about how far behind other countries we're falling in Mathematics specifically so I'd like to do some reading about this.

Google any word combo you want. There are studies of IQ correlation to fertility, lots of studies showing the Flynn Effect is flawed, it is all out there man. Just be careful as some sites are obvious click bait. But there is plenty out there.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2014, 15:01 xXBatmanXx

jdreyer wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 14:17:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 08:56:
Major changes coming to 2016 SAT test.

Common Core is going to make our populace even more misinformed and increase deficiencies in critical thinking and other areas. Scary stuff.

Common Core principal: "Even if you think 4+4=7, as long as you show your work and can explain that, you will be correct"

I'm glad that they're adjusting the SAT test to be more focused on knowledge than mastering the format and test-taking tactics.

As for Common Core, there's a lot to like in it if you dig in, at least what I've looked at in elementary school. There are a lot of different approaches to learning that we didn't have when I was a kid. When my first grade kid says "I have to use count-on methodology to solve this" and I see they're teaching him all these different ways to solve math problems. I can see how they're avoiding a one size fits all approach. That's good. The different methods also inculcate at an early age that trying different approaches to problem solving is necessary.

As for focusing on the methodology over the answer, that's not strange. When you learn to shoot free throws, you practice the form and don't care if the ball goes in at first. Practice the form enough, and the ball will go in a lot more than if you'd just focused on getting the ball in the hoop without the correct form. Focusing only on the correct answer encourages rote learning, not creative thinking. The latter is far more valuable.

Kids today are much more educated at the same age than we were kids. From this article:

Ten points on the NAEP roughly equals one grade level, which means that today's 9-year-olds are performing more than a full grade level better in reading and two grade levels better in math compared to the '70s.

Could Common Core be improved? Sure, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Basketball isn't math.

....argh....anyway. I have dug into it, ALOT. I have a few years before the kid hits the schools, so I have time to flesh it out more, but the first reports aren't good for schools that have taken common core into their curriculum. Wife and I are having a lot of discussions about where our kids will be going...

Yea, take away the calculators and lets retest those same kids! There are several studies that point the direct opposite. In fact most kids and adults couldn't pass some elementary classes from 1900.

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2014, 15:13.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2014, 15:00 xXBatmanXx

InBlack wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 10:39:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 08:56:

Common Core is going to make our populace even more misinformed and increase deficiencies in critical thinking and other areas. Scary stuff.

Common Core principal: "Even if you think 4+4=7, as long as you show your work and can explain that, you will be correct"

I just read that article and nowhere does it say anything to that effect. I passed some exams in college because I managed to demonstrate that my reasoning was correct when doing certain problems, obviosly I couldnt get full marks for these questions as the end result was wrong, but understanding the problem and more importantly understanding the way to the solution should be more important than making stupid mistakes under exam conditions.

The whole story isn't there, the changes were a result of Common Core.

News Comments > Watch Dogs in May; New Trailer
16. Re: Watch Dogs in May; New Trailer Mar 6, 2014, 14:59 xXBatmanXx

heh, so a couple of things.

1. BEWBS!
2. It seems as though they were no where NEAR being done at the time it was SUPPOSED to be out, and they obviously hid that fact.
C. Maybe I am not recalling correctly...but the game seems to haev taken a different turn from what we were originally told...ie: no main story.
4. There are a TON of different mechanics in the game, and I hope the PDA stuff is incorporated nicely....as it could easily just take over the game and be a dumb implementation.
E. Going with point 3, did this go from true sandbox to rail driven story?

Will be interesting. But it has gone from an instant buy to wait and see....get some input, maybe try it out, etc.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2014, 08:56 xXBatmanXx

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 5, 2014, 22:13 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 22:02:
Frags4Fun wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 21:14:
Hey Beamer, butthurt much? You're such a pathetic troll. I must have really gotten to you since you always try to instigate an argument with me. Nice try but you bore me.

"Boy, that escalated quickly..."

Don't quote the trolls!

25. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2014, 17:52 xXBatmanXx

jdreyer wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 16:44:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 15:33:
Speaking of music (post between this and my other one) anyone going to the Santana/Stewart tour? Thought about it....saw Santana with my father 15 years ago. Was a great show (and thank goodness for my mother, my father wanted to name me Santana - he owned a record store at the time "Sound Station 7").

Ticket prices are going to be ridiculous.

So, uh, do I dare ask what he DID name you? Page? Lennon? Bowie?

Nothing music related - my mother named me. Wrote my name on all the paperwork when my dad went to the pisser. ahhahahaha

31. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 5, 2014, 17:31 xXBatmanXx

Beamer wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 17:18:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 15:51:
Beamer - check your email.....hater....

Took me a while to find it - was in my junk folder.

Also, I don't, haha. At all.

Where u be in steam?

26. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 5, 2014, 15:51 xXBatmanXx

Beamer - check your email.....hater....  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2014, 15:33 xXBatmanXx

Speaking of music (post between this and my other one) anyone going to the Santana/Stewart tour? Thought about it....saw Santana with my father 15 years ago. Was a great show (and thank goodness for my mother, my father wanted to name me Santana - he owned a record store at the time "Sound Station 7").

Ticket prices are going to be ridiculous.

19. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 5, 2014, 15:31 xXBatmanXx

Verno wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 15:01:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 14:41:
I respect Buffet for what he has done in the media and speaks against the class warfare. Having many friends who work service industry, gotta respect his attitude of $15.00 min wage (I personally don't agree - but I have to respect it).

I used to be against a min wage increase but after more research I've completely turned around on it. When you look at how little wages have increased relative to inflation and contrast that against the massive rise in wealth disparity (executive compensation has gone through the roof for example) there can be no doubt that the middle class need help. The dual income lower middle class especially is really in trouble and that means their kids are in bigger trouble. Higher minimum wages tend to provide an economic surge as well, middle class spending is the primary driver of the economy. I'm all for a minimum wage increase, I'd prefer it would be for larger corporations who can afford it instead of Mom & Pop type stores. The problem there is they have effectively no political representation these days and corporate lobbies literally shit money everywhere.

The biggest problem I think that would occur are massive layoffs as companies try to avoid that initial hit.

That right there is the problem. Corporations start cutting with their workforce despite executive compensation being totally ridiculous. Profit and at the top enrichment over all other concerns.

Well....the CURRENT issue with increasing min wage is that the small businesses just pass off the increased costs to their customers. So you are robbing from peter to pay paul. I have a lot of friends (service industry) who own/work/etc small biz, bars, restaurants, service companies, etc., and they have flat out said "the increase in vegetables has forced me to increase my food costs" and "Obamacare has forced me to increase prices" and "if min wage goes up my prcies go up" and "gas prices has increased my prices from vendors and I pass that on to the consumer".

How is that helping anyone? Increase min wage by 30%, increase all goods by 30%.....sooooo....

Net zero. I am simplifying it to prove a point (econ major and did a shit ton of research on similar topics, taxes, bla bla bla) - but I think a greater attempt than just demanding it be raised must be attempted.

Anyway....my wife works 3 jobs. She is a service industry gal. She has nothing to show for 20+ years of work. Is that her fault? Yes and no. She does have some investments because of a family member pushing her to invest years ago, but she is in the minority in that sense. It would directly benefit our house, but not in the current ideology. Min wage jobs typically (here is where I become curt and dismissive) are not life long jobs (they shouldn't be).

Can take offline as well, as I enjoy these types of topics......

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2014, 15:22 xXBatmanXx

Getting me through the day..... this one too....

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2014, 15:47.

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 5, 2014, 14:41 xXBatmanXx

Beamer wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 11:11:
Task wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 10:48:
I'm confused Beamer, Warren Buffet is a crook, IE, Legalized Crook, bitcoins or not.

I can't tell if you linking to a cartoon is a sign of a joke or not. I'd be curious to know what makes Buffett, who's actually a decent guy and actually concerned with job creation (of course, already being a billionaire with nothing to prove helps this, but it separates him from so many others out there) makes him a crook.

I respect Buffet for what he has done in the media and speaks against the class warfare. Having many friends who work service industry, gotta respect his attitude of $15.00 min wage (I personally don't agree - but I have to respect it).

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 5, 2014, 14:39 xXBatmanXx

Warren Buffett: Bitcoin "Not A Currency".

Yes master.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 5, 2014, 14:38 xXBatmanXx

Beamer wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 12:45:
Frags4Fun wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 12:35:
Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 12:22:
So all these "robbers" are stealing Bitcoins, which leads to all the bitcoin exchanges being shut down, which will inevitably cause bitcoins to simply become utterly useless and worthless. So then they've stolen shit that isn't worth anything. Yay?

Other theory: The NSA is doing all the 'stealing', because the government is worried about bitcoins.

You know Creston, I was thinking pretty much the same thing about "the government" or some other state sponsored entity stealing the bitcoins in order to protect their own currencies, interests or wealth, but not necessarily American entities. The NSA certainly has the capability to pull it off, but do they have the motive? Perhaps the global banks would have a greater interest in such things.

Hey, but we don't have anything to hide from the NSA so who cares if they spy on everyone, right? They couldn't possibly use that data for nefarious purposes.

I like that you make conjecture with no proof, then make a comment that makes sense only if there's proof.

the NSA has the resources to have done this, true. But code from mtgox was released and a five year old could have done this. They published right to the live site, and there was no version control so devs were publishing over each other.

but sure, it was the NSA. The NSA also hacked half life 2.

If the NSA hacks bitcoins and drops all the money against our debt.....I am all for it....

News Comments > Evening Patches
2. Re: Evening Patches Mar 5, 2014, 14:37 xXBatmanXx

Yea, I really want to play GW2, having all of the previous titles and loving them - I just can't bring myself to do it....I dunno....maybe I burned out on the first run of games?  

News Comments > Diablo III XP Bonus
87. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 5, 2014, 14:35 xXBatmanXx

Not bad. Only 6 blocked posts from a few. Lots of misinformation out there. All I can say (and i am by no means a hardcore Diablo guy) is that the game is more fun. Period. I dont' have the hours that others have put in, buy I feel my 300 hours is substantial and am enjoying it. The gear that I found and was given to me by friends (low level 60+) has already been replaced with just a few hours plays in the update. That is progress to me.  

17897 Comments. 895 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo