Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Devin

Real Name Devin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Devster
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description aka "DevsterC".
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 6, 1999, 14:51
Total Comments 1491 (Pro)
User ID 1066

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Monday Q&As
34. Re: HoMM V? Sep 6, 2005, 10:58 Devster

HoMM IV looked too much "let's go 3d and fancy, and make the heroes fight" and stuff. Took away some of the style and flavour of HoMMIII, in favour of something that looked more console-y. Too shiney and not soft, like II & III. If that makes any sense.

HoMMII & III rock, including the music. Very addictive, and I would say III was also one of the more polished games I've played, not a lot of balance issues (though the AI could get predictable sometimes, the community map support made things challenging too). From what I gather the new HoMM V leaked beta looks closer to 4 than I might like, but we'll have to see. I just would really REALLY like to see more TBS games with multiplayer. I've been CivIII-ing by email for a couple years now, I guess, would like to see more major games support it. Hard part is the battles, I guess.

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!

Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > AoE3 Demo Plans
25. NO MP? boooo Sep 6, 2005, 10:27 Devster

I want my MP demo...

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. PS3 FFVII Sep 1, 2005, 07:21 Devster

dang.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: good day Aug 31, 2005, 13:16 Devster

It seems a large majority of the US citizens is getting pretty damn annoyed that so far any foreign aid is far to be found.
Canada's Deputy Prime Minister spoke to your Homeland Defence Security Secretary yesterday offering assistance...
The Canadian government sent condolences to the victims of Katrina and offered help, including medical supplies.
Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan said she told Michael Chertoff, the U.S. secretary of homeland security, that Canada was ready to provide assistance if needed.
not sure if we'll send softwood lumber to rebuild though
I suspect there are a lot of similar calls being made, just nobody has grips on the magnitude of things yet to know what y'all need.
edit - should get the guy's role right
This comment was edited on Aug 31, 13:18.

News Comments > Help Wanted
1. Slick... Aug 30, 2005, 15:36 Devster

...that's less than 3 hours away. Wonder if they'll give preference to 'local' beta testers who could pop by on weekends or something...

News Comments > etc.
1. BoB Aug 30, 2005, 15:33 Devster

Still a classic. Worth watching every summer...

News Comments > Steam Update
30. Re: Steam Aug 30, 2005, 07:45 Devster

someone out there must be able to 'greasemonkey' up something like that, if there's enough demand... (nothing against riley, just talking about general features stuff - I'd just as soon use it against hellbinder or someone. )

48. Re: Wooot.... Aug 29, 2005, 15:26 Devster

We're about the cheapest in the country, and we're going to be paying 2.85 a gallon. That's just getting fucking retarded.
$1.109 cdn per LITRE here; and it was $1.129 just a couple days ago. so that's what... $1.129/liter cdn = $4.27/gallon cdn = $4.01 /gallon US, depending on the exchange rate of the moment?

jeez.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. oh. in-game Aug 26, 2005, 07:50 Devster

Oh. In Game helmets.
No, I'm not truly disappointed, just joking about it

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Google Desktop Aug 25, 2005, 06:48 Devster

doh, another trendy Must Have doodad that's marginally useful to maybe 0.0001% of computer users. Seriously how many people need a separate app to "search their desktop"??

Well, it's handy for pictures/music and the like, as well as networks. Regardless, I assume you didn't read the article.

This one has a buttload more features in the sidebar - RSS/Atom reader, weather, email search plug-in to outlook, blah blah blah. It ain't just a simple file search anymore... And it's been locked down a bit, with most things that security folks were concerned about in the first one turned off by default (caching pages, etc).

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Google Talk Aug 24, 2005, 16:04 Devster

That friggin' sidebar in the new desktop search is pretty crazy too. If people start writing plug-ins for that like they've adopted the google maps api, we'll see some neat stuff.

Not big on the G-OS, don't need game/app developers having to figure out YET ANOTHER os. Yes, it would mean more work for software industry types (can't go wrong with that), but more headache too. Rather see a "google desktop". Something that could replace the shell for the OS; shell replacements have been done before for windows, just not well or with the insane backing of Googles near-infinite developers with near-infinite resources. Build in all these little applets. Then we're not excluding MS Win apps (or whatever os' they support) but we've (potentially) got an interface that could be consistent and provide everything needed for everyday work like office docs or im or email...

8. Re: Google Talk Aug 24, 2005, 15:50 Devster

What's lacking for you? Of all the webmails I've ever used, it's by far the best IMO... I'm sure it's missing stuff, I'm just failing to think what right now

A calender would rule.

Yep Calendar would be very nice. As far as webmails go, it's good, sure. and some greasemonkey stuff has added things that I wanted (e.g. delete button). I'd like to see a "refresh" link on an individual email chain page, not just on the 'folder/label' views. Like to see an option to clear the spam folder more frequently, but that's just because I don't like seeing Spam (960) there. I'd like to see some more integration with google groups, like when forwarding or replying to newsgroup messages, storing those in my sent mail (handy for those .forsale groups). Like to see (believe it or not) better ads, that are more local to me. Like to see the ability to flag priorities for emails (low, high and unflagged EDIT: I mean when I send them, not starring them in a folder)... probably some more things. Clearing out attachments, sometimes you get an email with an image in the sig and you just don't need it. Some easy way to identify which threaded emails have multiple attachments and which have just one...
Need the ability to minimize to the task icons in the bottom right of the taskbar, near the clock, but that is a minor quibble.
I thought the X button minimized to the systray. Or do you mean something else.

Google Talk needs better icon distinguishment in the systray, so I know if it's email or a chat. Need to add avatars (don't need a billion smileys, mind you, I'm cool with the blue smiley approach. Rolledup/windowshaded (whatever it's called) windows need to be able to be set always on top. inbox link doesn't work for me at all.

But I really like the clean interface. I don't need smileys. I have adult conversations (mostly... ok half the time... or less than that), so I can make do with textual emoticons just fine.
This comment was edited on Aug 24, 15:53.

1. Google Talk Aug 24, 2005, 13:10 Devster

Some nice. Sparse, no ads. Back to basics. Now tuck in a few more bells and whistles (avatars/webcam feeds would be fine, don't need emoticons out the wazooo) and we're good to go.

Funny how MS Passport took ages to get going with hotmail and messenger, and Google has pretty much duplicated that in a span of 18 months. I want a bit more on the mail client, and when the next google gadget comes out (gbrowser, goffice, whatever), I'm in on that too.

2. Google plans instant-messaging system... Aug 24, 2005, 10:51 Devster

It's now out - http://talk.google.com/

9. precog Aug 18, 2005, 11:22 Devster

I think it was Agatha.

News Comments > Into the Black
8. oil-cooled pc Aug 17, 2005, 07:06 Devster

Dupe... from June 7th...

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dungeon Siege II
47. Re: 2000 as good as XP huh? Aug 16, 2005, 20:34 Devster

Check out the worm shutting down 2000 and NT

Oh, you mean the worm that's infecting everything from 95 to XP?
FWIW, I think they were referring to not the Zotob worm but rather this one:
http://edition.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/08/16/computer.worm/index.html

While the worm primarily affects Windows 2000, it also can affect some early versions of Microsoft XP, said Johannes Ullrich, director of the Sans Institute, a network security firm based in Jacksonville, Florida.

/me shrugs

This comment was edited on Aug 16, 20:35.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dungeon Siege II
23. Re: No subject Aug 16, 2005, 14:40 Devster

Personally, I can't believe we went from Berserk to Dungeon Siege 2. Or is Berserk too close to a dungeon crawl for me to make the comparison?

I liked the first one, found it to be nice looking and fun, but the interest level started to pan out; it was a tad repetitive, though gosh, still nice to look at (the snow and ice levels were slick, haha).

Hope the second one is more engaging, though I'm a bit disappointed that you can't do a direct IP-to-IP multiplayer connect, you have to go through a service. I somewhat liked the randomness of the multi in the first one, and this one is supposed to be quite improved in that area...

News Comments > MailBag!?!
26. what Bronco (never) said. Aug 15, 2005, 09:17 Devster

This comment was edited on Aug 15, 09:18.

News Comments > Rag Doll Kung Fu Goes Steam
41. Re: No subject Aug 13, 2005, 10:11 Devster

Time for a Starbucks Dude.

wow, Hellbinder has really removed his lame PC signature in the end. What a shock!
Yeah, I was pretty surprised to see that too. If it wasn't for the pseudo-trolling, I'd say Hellbinder is growin' up...

1491 Comments. 75 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo