Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Pawn

Real Name Pawn   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Propagandhi
Email beguiledfoil@hotmail.com
ICQ 1105042
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 14, 2001, 06:31
Total Comments 794 (Graduate)
User ID 10650

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Gamespot HL 2 Review. Nov 15, 2004, 13:57 Propagandhi

Gamespot is running a countdown until they post their HL 2 review (aside: anyone else sick of countdowns?) and they should post it at noon pacific time (about an hour from this post).  
I eat pasta!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
37. Re: HL2 Nov 15, 2004, 00:39 Propagandhi

Shouldn't it get cracked after the crackers start taking a look at the activated game?

For sure, CS:S has been cracked for over a month now..

Who knows how aggressively Valve will try and block the warez kiddies, but I'm sure there will be a version on bittorrent a few hours after it's initially released..

I eat pasta!

22. Re: HL2 Nov 14, 2004, 17:01 Propagandhi

hard to believe somebody hasn't "cracked" that yet.

The retail version is encrypted just as well as the Steam Pre-Loads, and since nobody managed to crack those I think it's a fair assumption that it's impossible (or, overwhelmingly difficult).

I eat pasta!

News Comments > Half-Life 2 for Sale?
124. Re: No subject Nov 14, 2004, 06:56 Propagandhi

Thats the $89.99 copy. Doesn't it strike anyone else as odd that they have all this stuff ready to go ?. No wonder it has taken so long to finish the game.

Gabe doesn't do much actual game design. He oversees the process, but for HL 2 he did very little to actuall approve individual design elements. He's the one that organized the Steam packages (and Steam itself). HL 2 was delayed because of it's use of new technologies, not because they were waiting for someone to hand stitch the hats or draw the posters (all concept art there).

Furthmore, neither HL 1: Source nor DoD: Source are ready yet, development only started recently on them.

I eat pasta!

113. Re: No subject Nov 14, 2004, 04:07 Propagandhi

#1 - What do those without an internet connection do? i.e. those that live in BFE, or those with gaming rigs who perhaps go online at work or don't hook that particular machine to the net. Is there a phone or offline activation like Norton AV? If so we all know how long that took to pirate...

People keep bring this up and it has been answered thousands of times (here and elsewhere). But I'm going to bite and reitterate the situation.

Those without an internet connection can do one of the following: Set up a free internet trial with AOL or whatever, go to a friends house and use their internet (then use offline mode), or get their friend to log into their accout, and give them the "offline" mode file via disk or whatever. Honestly, people needed an internet connection to register Windows XP (and Doom 3 required Windows XP) so I don't really see the big deal.

#2 - HL is cheaper in stores than on Steam! This makes no sense, and if I didn't have a free copy of this game coming from building someone's computer and stealing their HL2 coupon back then I would not buy this game on principle. There supposedly are no publishing costs unless the lawsuit with VU made Valve pay them, but no materials, no publsher costs, no distributers, and the collector's edition can be had for $10 less in store than on steam. Am I alone when I say what the fock? Ridiculous, not to mention you don't have a disk, nor manual, nor even get the game early. What a joke. Just like CSS, so don't use that as an excuse.

First of all, Vivendi would not allow them to sell it for less on Steam, as that would breach their contract. Secondly, content servers aren't cheap and Valve's set some pretty large servers up to support the HL/HL 2 community. Go look at the status page's list of servers and you'll notice how many there are. This isn't a subscription based system, these servers need to be supported by that $50 you pay for HL 2.

CD's and Manuals barely even register on that $50 you pay, anyway. It's all dev costs and publisher costs. A CD to a replicator the size of VU costs well under a dime...

I eat pasta!

67. Steampowered.com down? Nov 13, 2004, 22:26 Propagandhi

Steampowered.com is down now (at least I'm getting a DNS error). Anyone know why? Don't tell me I'm gonna have to "go out" tonight, cause I'd much rather play HL 2

Edit: and 30 seconds after I post I can connect again. Seems slow though. DoS or just too many people connecting?

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 22:28.

I eat pasta!

12. Re: Not released? Nov 13, 2004, 20:18 Propagandhi

My feelings on publishers: I think they're a neccessary evil. Younger companies, without a major title under their belts (and the money from one) have no chance at enterting a 3-4 year develop ment cycle without some kind of financial backing. Publishers are that financial backing.

You'd miss out on a lot of innovative games produced by first time developers if publishers are totally cut out of the loop. In this case, though, VU is just f***ing up hard..

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 21:04.

I eat pasta!

18. HL 2 "madness" continues.. Nov 13, 2004, 18:53 Propagandhi

Either the Steam forums are being DoS'ed or they just collapsed under the weight of thousands of fanboys refreshing the thread about the Steam status bar dipping (suggesting content servers being taken offline, possibly for an update).

Pretty funny stuff, and this status bar has me all worked up. I really wish I could connect to WoW right now, just to get my mind off of this stupid thing..

I eat pasta!

News Comments > The Final Hours of Half-Life 2
32. WoW went down for me.. Nov 13, 2004, 03:09 Propagandhi

So WoW disconnected on me so I decided to hit the Steam Forums. One of the posters there has found a Vugames contact form, so now they're spamming it with requests to unlock HL 2.

This forum is better than reality TV (I guess that's not saying much, but I am entertained for whatever that's worth).

On a totally off topic tangent: I'm actually kinda enjoying WoW now. I'm not going to buy it, but their quest system has some fun quests in it.

*Edit: Reading those forums has apparently made me more stupid than I already was.. typos..

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 03:11.

I eat pasta!

News Comments > The Final Hours of Half-Life 2
20. Anyone that believed.. Nov 12, 2004, 23:51 Propagandhi

Anyone that believed the Sept. 30th date would be hit is a naive fool. Valve had never made an initial release date with anything (aside from MAYBE one or two HL patches). HL was delayed a year, TF 2's been delayed .. since forever, TFC was delayed, and the original SDK launch was delayed.

There was no chance that the game was coming out Sept. 30, 2003, regardless of how confident Gabe was with the date at the time.

Bottom line: Release dates are for publishers and retailers (so they can make profit\loss predictions) not gamers.

Still confused as to why so many of you are so bitter.

I eat pasta!

News Comments > BloodRayne 2 Demo
17. Re: Won't even be trying this one.. Nov 12, 2004, 21:36 Propagandhi

I like boobies ... sorry to offend y'all

I enjoy boobies as much as the next guy, but I don't like to play games who's apparent focus is breasts. They're fun to.. play with.. but they don't make good video games.

*edit* And I don't like being insulted by advertising, either. Showing me a pair of fake CG breasts isn't going to make me go "SWEET GOOGILY MOOGILY THERE ARE BREASTS IN THAT GAME! $50 THIS IS DEFINATELY WORTH!"

It's insulting to gamers in general, and I feel it lowers the standards of the game industry. Boobies instead of innovation is a pretty raw deal...

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 21:38.

I eat pasta!

News Comments > New ATI CATALYST Drivers
33. performance increase? Nov 12, 2004, 21:14 Propagandhi

There a noticable performance increase with these? I downloaded the ones that came out after Doom 3 was released and they fuxored some stuff, so now I'm hesitant to update :-/  
I eat pasta!

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: UN Nov 12, 2004, 16:10 Propagandhi

Controlled Internet is an oxymoron as far as I'm concerned..  
I eat pasta!

News Comments > BloodRayne 2 Demo
2. Won't even be trying this one.. Nov 12, 2004, 16:06 Propagandhi

I'm not even going to try this one, the Clevage ads plastered around the net annoyed me way too much.  
I eat pasta!

News Comments > Evening Previews
1. Ugh Nov 11, 2004, 22:35 Propagandhi

I can't believe I actually read that Half-Life 2 Preview of the Preview of the Preview to come on Gamespot..

Give me a life, please.

I eat pasta!

78. Re: Veteran's Day Nov 11, 2004, 20:12 Propagandhi

"What a waste." I know some Jewish people that might disagree with that statement.

I think he meant on a grander scale. Hitler's existence, motives, and actions created the need for military action, I don't think anyone wants to debate that, but Hitler's actions resulted in the "waste" of millions of lives. Had he not come to power and been able to do what he did, millions of lives could have been saved. Millions of people could have lived "normal" lives instead of fleeing the plague of war, etc...

I eat pasta!

75. Re: Some EB's sold HL 2 Early.. Nov 11, 2004, 19:30 Propagandhi

Looks legit to me, and no reason it wouldn't be. I mean, the game's been gold for almost a month now hasn't it? I think all we're waiting for now is the last few copies to ship off, so that global release thing can go down..  
I eat pasta!

71. Re: Some EB's sold HL 2 Early.. Nov 11, 2004, 18:53 Propagandhi

Actually, it appears that the boxed copy's game files are also encrypted. After the guy on the Rage3D forums (which are now dead) installed his boxed copy the game appeared in the "coming soon" section of the Steam App just like the normal Steam copy. The forums are dead and I haven't seen anyone actually confirm that the files are identical, but it appears that they are.

If the boxed copys could be cracked I imagine the game would have been leaked already (ala Halo 2) as someone at a distribution center (or retail outlet, now) would have lifted a copy and leaked it.

I eat pasta!

69. Re: Some EB's sold HL 2 Early.. Nov 11, 2004, 18:31 Propagandhi

heh, yeup

That forum is such a cesspool of stupidity, though.. I can barely stand it.

I eat pasta!

65. Re: Some EB's sold HL 2 Early.. Nov 11, 2004, 17:50 Propagandhi

Gonna be a long night!!!

Have to agree with you, there. I'm sitting in my room trying to do homework, but all I can think about is whether or not they're going to unlock HL 2 early or not

And now actiontrip is reporting that the "Street date has been broken" although it appears that they're only citing the one case. Still hoping that's enough to allow Valve or VUG or whoever to unlock it (I really can't figure out why they aren't, by all accounts it was shipped to most retailers a week or so ago).

I eat pasta!

794 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo