Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Noman

Real Name Noman   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname noman
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 7, 2001, 16:19
Total Comments 239 (Novice)
User ID 10577

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > Underworld Ascension Announced
35. Re: Underworld Ascension Announced Jul 2, 2014, 14:47 noman

Not only Paul Neurath (one of the original creators) is bringing Underworld back, but Tim Stellmach is in the design team too. Tim was the lead designer of Underworld 2, and had a major part in Thief and System Shock too.

Basically, Neurath, Stellmach, and Doug Church (and others at Looking Glass) should be the guys lauded with all the recognition and accolade routinely attributed to Warren Spector, who was just the Origin guy to liaison with the Looking Glass team. These amazing games were created and the basic gameplay locked down before Spector even knew about them. Underworld wasn't even an Ultima game in the beginning, and only after Garriot liked watching the demo at a trade show and then offering the deal, did the Looking Glass folks go back and added late-stage tweaks to add some links to Ultima lore.

Underworld 2 was much more integrated into Ultima world, but even that game was all thought out (plot, characters, gameplay structure) by Neurath, Stellmach, Church et al., before the idea was pitched to Origin, and for which Garriot approved.

I'd be a lot concerned if this Underworld remake was in development by Spector or Ken Levine, but to know that the game is in the hands of the original creators is just great. It'll be an awesome game.

Now if only Doug Church can shove his desk at Valve, and join these guys, it'll be perfect.

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 2014, 15:54.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Free Battlefield 3 on Origin
14. Re: Free Battlefield 3 on Origin May 29, 2014, 00:27 noman

Origin is far preferable to Steam, if all you want to do is buy games from a store and play the game. However if you are fully invested in having Steam achievements, gaining points, and taking pride in watching your gaming library grow at one particular store then it may be different. Or you may be the ones believing that Origin scans your PC files and folders based on some idiotic articles written by wanna-be tech experts.

Origin is a far more light weight DRM than Steam, and gives more options to manage your Origin purchased game. Its offline play is better. Its handling of simultaneous logins from multiple PCs (for playing different games) is better. It's a far thinner client as well compared to Steam.

Steam beats Origin only in terms of the quantity of excellent sales. Then again, Origin now offers free games from time to time, which came out only 2-3 years ago.

GoG beats them all though.

News Comments > AMD Calls Out NVIDIA; Former NVIDIA Dev Calls BS
19. Re: AMD Calls Out NVIDIA; Former NVIDIA Dev Calls BS May 27, 2014, 15:03 noman

InBlack wrote on May 27, 2014, 10:42:
Ahh, a common misconception among fanbois of all graphical colors and inclinations is that if a game features an Nvidia or AMD logo, where it says that the game is optimised for one or the other, is that the game is actually optimised for said hardware. This is not true. Its BULLSHIT in capital letters. Its simple marketing, nothing else

While this may be true to some extent regarding TWIMTBP (nVidia's The Way it's meant to be played) or AMD's Gaming Evolved programs, the situation with nVidia's Gameworks (which Watchdogs is based on, and so were Assassin's Creed 4 and Arkham Origins) is entirely different.

Gameworks is a programming interface built on top of DirectX. So the game developers, instead of calling their own internally developed libraries, or DirectX calls, can use these nVidia provided building blocks to create parts of their games.

The problem is that, part of this library is only provided as binary files, and the developers can get to look at the source code only by getting permissions from nVidia, which apparently they can't share with AMD. So while a TWIMTBP game can be perfectly optimized for AMD cards, though a bit later, a Gameworks using title can never be optimized on a level playing field ever. AMD will have to analyze the game's draw calls coming to driver and do some tweaks there at the end. The game's use of DirectX methods is hidden behind nVidia's library and so they remain inaccessible to any AMD/game-dev collaboration efforts.

I am not sure what the ex-nVidia developer is commenting about here. I doubt his comments were about Gameworks in the first place. Gameworks by its very nature restricts access to AMD and intel.

It'd be good if Gameworks was specific to nVidia hardware, instead of supporting all other GPUs but in a way where the competitor's can't tweak the performance for their respective products through the game/engine code itself.

News Comments > Steam In-Home Streaming Launches
2. Re: Steam In-Home Streaming Launches May 21, 2014, 16:21 noman

It's a nice feature, but I wish Steam can finally add support for simultaneous logins of the account on different PCs on the same network. There's absolutely no reason that playing different games bought on a Steam account simultaneously in the same household should need any workarounds.

License restriction should be game-specific (at least on a home network), instead of covering the entire library.

Thankfully DRM-free options are showing up on more and more new releases.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 15, 2014, 16:36 noman

Yeah, my first thought was "I think Blue meant to post this 2 weeks ago on April 1."

The information that this idiotic article is based on, indeed is about couple of weeks old. MS mentioned once Windows 8.1 update 1 had come out, that all further 8.1 updates would need this update1 as baseline. Windows 8 updates will continue on as usual.

I think, it took two weeks for the author to figure out the best trolling headline out of that run-of-the-mill MS announcement.

The funny thing is that this article triggered another trashy blog from a Forbes tech writer with an equally bad trolling headline "MS abandons Windows 8.1, Take immediate action or be cut off like WinXP"

The "Windows8 sux" brigade will now offer this extraordinary information in numerous web forums for at least an year.

News Comments > Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure This Month
4. Re: Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure This Month Apr 5, 2014, 00:19 noman

Here's the trailer for the game. It's coming out on April 22. It's great to see a somewhat steady stream of my Kickstarter backed projects coming out, and no DRM too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkvJQGaFSwA

News Comments > Irrational Games Closing
23. Re: Irrational Games Closing Feb 19, 2014, 02:30 noman

djinn wrote on Feb 18, 2014, 19:18:
Thought the same. Wasn't there another way he could have passed the baton on to someone else and kept the studio together? If it's only 15 people he's moving on with it seems like an odd decision to axe the rest. Maybe there's more to it? Then again, maybe not.

Take2 owns Irrational Games. There's no way Ken can decide on his own whether a Take2 studio needs to close. It's fairly obvious that Take2 wanted to close Irrational Games, after moderate success of Bioshock: Infinite (considering its six year long development cycle) Ken and fifteen others were given an option to start fresh and rest were let go.

Ken Levine's statement puts a positive spin on this development but he really should have stayed quiet.

News Comments > Broken Age Part 1 For Backers Next Week
12. Re: Broken Age Part 1 For Backers Next Week Jan 11, 2014, 10:06 noman

wtf_man wrote on Jan 10, 2014, 22:37:
Don't get me wrong... I respect Tim's earlier work, but I'll never back one of his mis-managed projects ever again.

I'd always back his adventure game projects, regardless of the time the game development would take.

News Comments > Broken Age Part 1 For Backers Next Week
5. Re: Broken Age Part 1 For Backers Next Week Jan 10, 2014, 17:45 noman

It's first half of the game. It was never episodic in format, and the decision to release half the game as early-access was due to the need for more funds in finishing the game. Act 2 has a tentative release date of summer 2014.  

News Comments > Fallout 3 Removes GFWL?
38. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 18:58 noman

jimnms wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 14:43:
On my second play I had the GOTY edition and modded it. Using FOSE and the 4GB patch disabled GFWL anyway, so I had forgotten it was a GFWL title.

I have FO3:GOTY boxed version and it can be played without ever logging on to GFWL. For that matter, once patched using standalone updates, the game can be run without disc as well, by using the fallout3 executable directly instead of the launcher application.

It's the best version of the game when run in this manner - not saddled with Steam, GFWL or any other DRM mechanism.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Nov 12, 2013, 00:50 noman

Best thing for me is the increased chances of getting non-DRM games. More power to them.  

News Comments > AMD Beta Driver Addresses R9 290 Variances
18. Re: AMD Beta Driver Addresses R9 290 Variances Nov 8, 2013, 17:11 noman

InBlack wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 10:30:
How the fuck does that reduce the variance? It just increases the max fan setting. If anything it would increase the variance. And since when is 40% max??? What the fuck is wrong with 100%! Furious

Seriously, right now there is no need to buy the 290X when the 290 is as fast as it. Unless these drivers are nerfing the 290 somehow.....

The fix is not about changing the max fan limit from 40 to 47%. That particular fix was already there in 13.11 beta8 and is specific to 290 (not 290X) anyway.

The fix here is controlling the fan limits properly. They have an RPM sensor for the fan, and a PWM voltage control. The fan % setting until now was controlling PWM. The assumption was that 47% PWM voltage pulse will give you a certain amount of RPM resulting in certain noise (and cooling properties). However the electrical/mechanical properties are such that same 47% PWM may result in slightly different fan speeds on different cards, which caused temperature variance. The new driver takes the RPM sensor data and set the max PWM to be any voltage which gives 47% (or whatever you configure the max limit to) fan speed.

It makes sense, as the fan speed is what the driver is supposed to control anyway as a noise/heat tradeoff.

News Comments > Steam Machines Announced
67. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 18:33 noman

jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 18:20:
Verno wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:54:
I don't know, I appreciate alternatives and Microsoft has been an extremely neglectful and at times hostile parent to gaming on the PC. I am glad someone is offering an alternative as customization and choice has always been the strength of the PC.

What Vern said.

I disagree completely. Building a lite gaming OS would be one thing but creating a heavily restricted environment designed to push a digital store and DRM technology is not the same. This is more akin to a console, and I'd rather have my Windows PC connect to an HDTV, where Steam, Origin, Uplay, and more importantly GoG, Kickstarter and HumbleBundle acquired games all work on even grounds.

News Comments > Steam Machines Announced
65. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 18:28 noman

jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 17:46:
Wow, this is coming along more quickly than I would have thought. Well, the hardware is pretty easy, but an O/S is not something you just whip up.

SteamOS is basically Ubuntu Linux distro with some tweaks. AMD and nVidia have half-way decent drivers on linux for a while. The rest of all the functions Valve talk about are mostly application level stuff that could easily be integrated in Steam client. They already have Steam running on Linux.

It's not that as if they are modifying major parts of an OS kernel, let alone writing one from scratch.

News Comments > SteamOS Announced
40. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 15:04 noman

Minuit wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 14:58:
Nothing like that. SteamOS _is_ the living-room device. You are already running Steam on your gaming PC and that is going to stream the video and audio to the SteamOS box.

I'll believe that Valve can do this with acceptable quality when I see it, but that's the idea.

SteamOS is a linux distribution based off of Ubuntu 12.04. If anyone of you have an unused PC somewhere, which can fit in a living room, then plug in the HDMI cable and have a gaming HTPC. You can even run Steam in big-picture mode to have Steam working perfectly.

And instead of streaming games from another PC running Windows (for games that don't play nice on Linux yet) over to SteamOS, you can run such games natively on that Windows HTPC.

News Comments > More on Steam Living Room Plans Next Week
21. Re: More on Steam Living Room Plans Next Week Sep 20, 2013, 22:21 noman

I have a pretty good HTPC serving various purposes (recording over WMC, streaming from another WMC equipped PC, running Dolphin/PCSX2/MAME, and certain PC games which work great with a controller from a distance)

Steam's big screen interface is decent, and especially now that it works with an MCE remote as well. Windows8 start screen is also great for an HTPC, when controlling with remote and I can launch most games directly from there.

Most of the games these days supporting controllers, do provide proper 10-foot interfaces and launch menus that are controllable from gamepad, so I wasn't particularly missing Steam's big-screen-interface. It's a nice to have feature, which is a bit over-rated. If an Steam box do come out, it'll be hyped to an idiotic level, when all anyone needs is an HDMI cable, a $10-15 MCE remove and $20 XInput/DirectInput controller to have a great gaming HTPC.

News Comments > Op Ed
33. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 14:37 noman

Creston wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 13:52:
I believe it was taken down. It basically goes like this:

A fancy Tauren hero strolls along, whistling as he's about to exit a cave. A poor downtrodden human figure asks him for help, as his existence is sheer torture, because he and his family are forced to work all day in the mines, and then they are "gently raped to sleep by the Dickwolves" at night.

The Tauren hero says "Sorry man, I was contracted to rescue five of you guys, not six."

The figure pleads some more, and the Tauren finally says "Buddy, don't make this weird."

That's all it was. CONTROVERSY ABOUNDS!

Actually it was the second comic that came as a response to the complaints that I find quite an idiotic flame-bait, and one that required an unconditional apology from PA guys. Follow the third link (Wired.com blog) in today's "Op Ed" section.

News Comments > Broken Age Budget Tight: Steam Early Access Planned
27. Re: Broken Age Budget Tight: Steam Early Access Planned Jul 3, 2013, 01:30 noman

Domgrief wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 23:09:
And the Crowd is now in the same position as a publisher would have been - frustrated and with a lighter wallet. Unlike a publisher - thankfully - we don't have a pack of lawyers on retainer.

I'm glad they're making a plan which doesn't involve asking for a handout.

I have no problems waiting for the game, or with even not having the game come out. $20 is nothing compared to having folks like Tim Schafer, Jane Jensen, Chris Jones, Guys from Andromeda, Lori and Larry Cole, Chris Roberts, Brian Fargo, Josh Sawyer, Chris Avellone and their team attempting to make games for PC, with a no-DRM option and in genres that rarely see high profile releases.

I added my pledge so that people can work on these potentially great PC titles. If a finished game comes out that's great.

29. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 31, 2013, 15:56 noman

Drazula wrote on May 31, 2013, 13:20:
Nobody wanted the Start BUTTON, we wanted the Start MENU! Who wants a button to go to the Metro crap?

I don't want the start menu. It was horribly inefficient. Start screen is order of magnitude better than that old menu (which never scaled with resolution or pixel density) The only thing I'd welcome is a search text box that can be brought up in desktop mode, instead of going to start screen and typing blindly.

In any case, it's good that start menu is dead and buried.

8.1 seems to be heading in right direction. The feature I am looking forward to most is the proper desktop scaling on higher resolution monitors. This has never worked properly since the Win95 days. It's about time.

Metro wise, some of the changes seem good. Different tile sizes on start screen, use of desktop background and thus connecting start screen to desktop visually, more than two metro apps at higher resolutions, variable size for docked application etc There's still a long way to go before metro becomes suitable for non-media consumption/gaming uses, but it's interesting to watch where these changes lead to.

11. Re: More Big Picture Details May 17, 2013, 13:04 noman

AMD is back up today, and has recovered half of the drop of yesterday. Currently up, 6%.  

239 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo