Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Xombie X

Real Name Xombie X   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Xombie
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description NEVER TESTED ON ANIMALS
SAFE FOR COLOR TREATED HAIR
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2001, 20:36
Total Comments 988 (Graduate)
User ID 10527

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > 20,000 Steam Accounts Disabled
94. Re: no cd-key Nov 23, 2004, 20:08 Xombie

NEWS FLASH: [bD CHECKING[/b] IS PUT IN BY THE [i][b]PUBLISHER[/b][/i], NOT THE DEVELOPER.

Valve has nothing at all to do with the CD check on the retail version. At all. Nor is Valve allowed to intentionally subvert it without Vivendi's consent.

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 20:10.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

58. Re: It blows Nov 23, 2004, 17:31 Xombie

So you like a game with dated graphics, frame rate issues, clunky controls
Though I don't play it myself, my roommate does and from what I've seen, there are no frame rate issues, the graphics look superb, and the controls are just fine for Xbox junkies.

55. Re: It blows Nov 23, 2004, 17:29 Xombie

Even if you download the game off steam with a retail key, you'll still need the CD in the drive (or so I've read last week).
You have to go through the process of installing the game off the CD and registering it. After that, you'll be able to use the key to download off of Steam, and use the Steam version of the game.

43. Re: It blows Nov 23, 2004, 16:53 Xombie

Ok.. half of you are missing the point entirely. Especially if you bought the CD. The second you pay for the game you have fair use. I can legally download a NO CD patch for a game REGARDLESS of their EULA.
You can use the registration key from a retail copy of the game to download it off Steam, thus negating the necessity of a CD in the drive. Just like every game that Valve has ever released on Steam.

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 16:54.

42. Re: Here's how it will play out... Nov 23, 2004, 16:50 Xombie

While I agree, why not make HL:S, DOD:S etc available for one off purchase via Steam to those that didn't or couldn't buy the special edition versions of the games?
I believe that they've already said they will in the future.

31. Re: Here's how it will play out... Nov 23, 2004, 16:04 Xombie

Pisses me off that Valves fight to stop the Piraters could very easily carry over and hit us good folks by closing down our steam accounts, making our shiny new copy of HL2 look like a coaster.
It really shouldn't. So far it's obviously working much better than the publisher schemes that are ALWAYS screwing over EVERYONE.
It's not like this practice is new or anything.

This whole steam experiment doesn't sit right. Too much control to Valve.
You would rather have more power in the hands of Vivendi, who is notorious for screwing over gamers?

Notice that Day of Defeat Source game... you can pre purchase it... Gabe, "We can make users pay to play mods on our steam network!!!!"
Day of Defeat is being professionally redone. Hence why it isn't done yet. In my opinion, paying $60 and getting HL2, HL:S, CS:S, and DoD:S (four full games), is a fucking great deal.

24. Re: Here's how it will play out... Nov 23, 2004, 15:43 Xombie

Tons of people will bitch and flame about how evil steam is and how you don't actually own it. How the you might not even be able to play the game in a few years if Valve folds or something. There will be a ton of valid points made, many of which I agree with.
I personally believe that it's bound to eventually end up on value shelves in a few years, in a version that won't require Steam authentication. This is one of the reasons why I'm not worried at all about not having a hardcopy at the moment.

17. Re: AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... Nov 23, 2004, 15:23 Xombie

edit: nevermind
This comment was edited on Nov 23, 15:25.

12. Re: Lol Nov 23, 2004, 15:18 Xombie

Not surprising really. The reason Steam was developed is to help game developers, never was about the customers of the game.
What's awesome is that it's protection scheme has worked better than any publisher's ever has.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 w/o CD or DVD
21. Re: Doesn't work Nov 20, 2004, 02:59 Xombie

#7, well said. I'm definitely going Steam for this one when I get home. Publisher CD checks can kiss my ass.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 03:00.

News Comments > IGDA Open Letter
33. Re: the Nov 17, 2004, 17:51 Xombie

Actually, telling someone to take control of THEIR situation themselves is a great argument. Is the government supposed to take care of the workers? Not in this case. They have a choice to make a change. If you work at McDonalds and you don't like it, but still want to work in the industry, you go across the street to Taco Bell or Burger King.
We're not talking about fast food here, champ. We're talking about the game development industry. "Just getting a new job" includes more than just handing in a resignation and an extra half hour drive to work at the new place. It's more along the lines of sometimes moving to a new state, after a very long process of looking for a job that you will get hired in.
Then there's the fact that most of the small developers do not offer any job security. Those that offer a flexible working environment are the same ones that go under and end up mass-firing employees after thier shit game fails to sell.

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 17:52.

News Comments > IGDA Open Letter
26. No subject Nov 17, 2004, 15:42 Xombie

Since when is "lol go somewhere else lol" a valid defense for enforcing completely uncivilized labor standards?

edit: I'm sorry, I forgot I was on Blue's News, where it is required that everyone reply negatively to every news post.

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 15:44.

News Comments > Spector Departs ION
7. Re: Heathen Nov 8, 2004, 17:03 Xombie

Spector wasn't lead design on DX2. Harvey Smith was. Spector was part of the Theif 3 team.

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 17:04.

News Comments > Brothers in Arms 2 Revealed
23. No subject Oct 27, 2004, 13:17 Xombie

How about we complain about a game that doesn't even have a design document yet? Oh wait...  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Congratulations, guys Oct 14, 2004, 09:41 Xombie

Within the first three posts of EVERY SINGLE NEWS ITEM that people have posted in today, there has been someone bitching.
I believe that's a new record for the regulars at Blues News: All the carnage that's fit to whine

News Comments > Playboy Delayed
20. No subject Oct 13, 2004, 13:57 Xombie

You just KNOW it's Blues News when people even bitch about Playboy: The Mansion.  

News Comments > More Half-Life 2 Pre-Loads - Voucher Update
18. Re: uk orders.. Sep 30, 2004, 09:46 Xombie

Perhaps it'll be like UT2004 and they get automatically switched to DVD Edition, and you have to specially select the CD version if you really want it.

The original DVD edition of UT2K4 was the same price as the cd version, not $20 more.

News Comments > GTA: San Andreas Movie
8. Re: GTA:SA Sep 26, 2004, 15:01 Xombie

I bought a PS2 for the express purpose of not having to wait for the PC port of GTA games.  

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Held Hostage?
84. No subject Sep 25, 2004, 03:05 Xombie

I feel sorry for all those stupid people who still live in the "dream" to get into video games business.  

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Deee-luxe?
16. No subject Sep 24, 2004, 02:19 Xombie

Why can't more developers be like Epic and release a super-awesome DVD edition + extra content + free stuff for the same $50 price tag as the normal version?  

988 Comments. 50 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo