Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Xombie X

Real Name Xombie X   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Xombie
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description NEVER TESTED ON ANIMALS
SAFE FOR COLOR TREATED HAIR
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2001, 20:36
Total Comments 988 (Graduate)
User ID 10527

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > DOOM III Q&A
177. Re: No subject May 4, 2003, 17:42 Xombie

As opposed to a cheesy conspiracy theme or a cheesy geek scientist saves the universe theme... take your pick Xombie
Why? I enjoy all those types of stories.

All the AI out there currently is "incredibly stupid" to use your phrase.
Read about HL2 and DX2.

Besides have you given an IQ test to a zombie lately?
That's a very poor excuse for lazy design.
There is a certain AI even to characters that are supposed to be "stupid". A good example is the actions taken by many of the "stupid" mobs in HL2. They barrel through doors, sniff out the character, etc.
Even in horror, a stupid monster isn't scary.

Deus Ex was a good game. So was Half Life. There is still no guarantee that their successors will be. Nor is there one that Doom III will be.
Yes, but since we're all nerds, we're discussing it anyway. If you don't want to speculate, you're welcome not to.

About all we know about all three of them is that the graphics will be good.
Actually, we know much of how the gameplay will work in both Half Life 2 and Deus Ex 2, as there are functional in-house versions that have been shown to the media.

As for recent titles that many thought would be incredible due to a good predecessor and long dev times -- Unreal 2. Mediocre game IMO. Not bad, just not the game many thought it would be. Predictions are a rough business.
There really wasn't much reason to think that Unreal 2 would be all that innovative. I don't remember them showing anything innovative about the gameplay in previews. Not to mention that Unreal 1 wasn't even a very big trend-setter, unlike DX and HL.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

176. Re: No subject May 4, 2003, 17:33 Xombie

I with I could play RTSs and RPGs, but they require too much thought (and strangely enough, I am considered more of a thoughtful individual). Its possible that it also includes a lack of patience. I like to get into the game and start playing immediately.

You make the mistake of equating complex design with complex gameplay. What you're talking about isn't simple gameplay, it's obvious or predictable gameplay. Tab A goes into Slot A, Tab B goes into Slot B, and Tab A cannot go into Slot B. Doom 3 isn't simple gameplay, it simply limits interactivity or creativity of the player.

I do agree with you here. But then who is helping?
Ion Storm and Valve.

When it comes to FPSs, AI is certainly not the problem.
Actually, it is a large problem. Poor AI is common in FPS's, because designers commonly underestimate its importance. They don't consider that in a single player FPS, AI is needed 100% of the characters the player interacts with.

AI is as good as it needs to be at the moment. When we build bigger and better worlds we will require bigger and better AI mechanics.
That's a very poor excuse. We DO have better games on the way, even before D3 comes out (HL2 and DX2) which will have much better AI than even id expects in D3.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. No subject May 4, 2003, 03:11 Xombie

Have I had one too many Guinness, or does that first link say what I really think it does?  

128. Re: No subject May 3, 2003, 00:37 Xombie

Anyone else?
It seems that the only thing that D3 apparently has "over" any other next-gen game is that it has a cheesy horror theme...
Except that id admitted in its PC Gamer article that the AI would be incredibly stupid, and I fail to see how the mobs would be anything except repetitive and predictable, instead of intense and frightening.

126. No subject May 2, 2003, 22:51 Xombie

Two questions for those of you that think D3 will be a "great" game:
1.) Are you fans of Deus Ex?
2.) Have you read the Half Life 2 articles in current magazines, and seen its screenshots and tech?

Because after those two things, I do not see what logic you subscribe to which would allow you to say that id is NOT doing a half-assed job.

125. Re: bump mapping May 2, 2003, 22:48 Xombie

The only distinction between them is that "normal mapping" is a method of creating a bump map from the deltas between the normals of two different meshes
Which means they are not the same thing.

Anyway, one question: Did you enjoy Doom, in it's day?
In its day. But that doesn't mean they can simply slap a new graphics engine on the same design and and story, and still make it enjoyable.
Once you go DX, you never go back.

110. Re: back on topic... May 2, 2003, 14:27 Xombie

Is Doom 3 going to have deformable environments?
No.

Also, why aren't there more games with bump mapped and pixel shaded graphics?
Half Life 2 is using pixel shaders, and I believe DX2 is also. All three are using Normal Mapping, though, not bump mapping.

108. Re: Id May 2, 2003, 13:15 Xombie

I flinched from the screen a few times playing Doom, or got nervous when I heard the Cyber Demon stomping around while the corpses of Barons of Hell hung from hooks
Sounds like a poorly done haunted house. What you're talking about isn't immersiveness, it's simply suspense. There's a big difference between the two.
Immersiveness is where the design of the game actually allows the player to interact with it on a level that simulates life. It is getting rid of things that cause suspension of belief. id's little tricks to cause suspense aren't immersive design, they are in fact the opposite- chainsaws on a space station, bad AI (and yes, they did say they weren't developing good AI in the PC Gamer preview), taking away the ability to run, and relieving the player of control in the game all counteract a suspension of disbelief.
The game world in Doom isn't fleshed out, it is detailed where id wants you to look. Immserive design is where the designers make only the rules, and allow the game to react to the player, giving the player an endless amount of options. id's game controls the player toward one emotion, they do not allow the player to have a feeling of control. id has the player play by id's plan.
If you really want to know what immserive design really is, see Harvey Smith's lecture on it on Gamasutra.

Simplicity isn't a bad thing, to this day Tetris is a damn good game to play. Bomberman (Saturn specifically) is still one of the best multiplayer games, period
Those are puzzle games, not single player FPS's. Their design concepts and theory are entirely different.

But is it somehow faulty to claim atmosphere if it's not realistic in the context of our world? I don't think so.
The problem is that the atmosphere is not realistic in the context of the game's world.

103. Re: Id May 2, 2003, 10:06 Xombie

To all those claiming that Id doesnt make games it makes game engines.
Alot of people thought Doom was the BEST fps ever when it came out.
Yeah, it was one of the only FPS's when it came out.

Half-Life was pretty damn good, probably the best single player FPS ever made, but how can it compare to Quake1 & Q3, in multiplayer. It cant.
The numbers say it apparently can.

Just because games are simple doesnt mean they suck.
Yes, simple games can be good. But most aren't worth $50.

If you dont like em dont buy em,
Never said I was going to buy it. That doesn't mean I can't be critical of the hype surrounding it.

but dont come to conclusions that just beacuse you dont like Id's games, no one does.
I didn't say I don't like id's games. I said that id has a flawed design and marketing theory that will bite them in the ass.

102. Re: No subject May 2, 2003, 10:02 Xombie

they can devlop any game they want, I dont care. It is when they atart publicly lying about things that are simply not there.
I don't think they're lying. In fact, I think they've been brutally honest in terms of how half-assed the game's design is going to be.
I think that Tim Willits actually would be scared by a crappy game like this.

87. Re: Reply to wasrad- Chainsaws in doom! lame May 2, 2003, 00:16 Xombie

Umm, Doom1 and Doom2 both had trees. Did it ever occur to you,Trees could be used as an oxygen supply. Or even the entire atmosphere on mars has changed due to the advances in technology supporting life?
No. Only young forests act as carbon sponges. Trees eventually become old growth, which don't. If they were going to terraform, they would more likely be planting grass or moss. So if you're going to use that argument, there should be a weedwacker instead of a chainsaw. And I think we can both agree that would be just as silly.
And no, since trees are not indiginous to mars, they would not just start growing there. Just like lawn grass never grew in America until it was brought over.

86. Re: Id Are A Busted Flush May 2, 2003, 00:09 Xombie

Considering that id has never had more than 20 employees, that they've never developed more than 1 game in house,
And that's supposed to inspire confidence?

and that they've never gone the corporate publisher route
Activision is a corporation. Sorry to burst your bubble.

suggests to me that they enjoy being involved in a small group of people who like to create games.
Actually, John Carmack has admitted that he doesn't even play games anymore. He simply enjoys coding, and does it for games because it pays him well.

85. Re: Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeezuz May 2, 2003, 00:05 Xombie

How anyone can look at that new screeny and not be impressed is beyond me.
Easy. Look at the HL2 screens first.

84. Re: No subject May 2, 2003, 00:03 Xombie

CS blows this game away... ok, whatever you say. Although, if you had any brains at all you'd realize that the games aren't even comparable. One is an online multiplayer game, and the other is an offline single player game. Not even the same genre. Dumb.
Alright, then Deus Ex blows this game away. Next?

Wasrad, you want creativity from id? How about founding the whole FPS genre?
Old news, new game. If they want my 50 bucks, they'll have to do better than a glorified tech demo.

Have you seen the graphics in DOOM III? Look at the textures, the monster design, the lighting.
Crappy, crappy, and useless.
I don't care about lighting when it has no effect on gameplay.

They put a chainsaw in the game and suddenly they're not artists?
No, the bad art makes them not artists. The chainsaw just makes them look like half-assed has-beens that can't design a game worth shit.

This game is like a ferrari without an engine.

83. Re: Whats with freaking CHAINSAWS??? May 1, 2003, 23:54 Xombie

I find it amazing how many people claim to be gamers, but do nothing but bitch about absolutely everything that comes out.
Yeah. Real gamers never complain. Cynicism? From nerds? Surely you jest.

82. Re: No subject May 1, 2003, 23:51 Xombie

#2, I wouldn't say the game looks crappier, but all these previews are starting to sounds like a broken record... and this Q&A in particular smacks of a large quantity of hype-sizzle BS. It sounds like friggin producer-speak.
Yeah, but it seems that every preview of the game is like that. They keep saying that it's going to be a "super innovative" game, yet the only innovation they are making is the nice lighting system and good sound (and the latter at this point seems more questionable with each interview). Still sounds like it will be a simple shoot-em-up gameplay with a snazzy engine. The same type of overhyped, overfunded tech demo that Quake 3 was.
And unlike companies like Valve and Spector's Ion Storm, we've never been able to count on id for innovation in story or even immersiveness by design (not to mention that HL and DX provided record game lengths, while D3 is going to be admittedly short with little multiplayer support). id has always relied on being the first one in the pool, and in a day and age where design and story take precedence over cutting edge engine tech, I don't think id's plan is as strong as it once was. They're hanging onto this "tech is king" crap for dear life, and it's showing more and more each time Willits opens his mouth.

News Comments > UT2004?
26. No subject Apr 30, 2003, 22:58 Xombie

As long as we're trusting GameStop, Duke Nukem Forever is going to be released on June 2 of this year.
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=640700

2. No subject Apr 30, 2003, 16:09 Xombie

This game looks crappier and crappier with every BS preview that comes out.

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 16:12.

News Comments > More Half-Life 2 Teasing
185. Re: uh... Apr 28, 2003, 07:12 Xombie

well, quake3 had materials affecting sound and properties.
Quake 3 had materials triggering sound files.

and dust particles (+particles in general) have been around for ages.
Only to an extent. It's safe to say that, using the newest released games as a benchmark, we have a hell of a long way to go on particle physics.

sparkes on things that strike have been around for a while too.
No, we've just had a little gif or jpg "spark". Not sparks actually being caused, falling to the ground, bouncing, etc.

same with scraping sounds on stuff that slides... i've been sliding barrels for some time now, haha (crates too, etc)
So far, we've only had scraping sounds that are static sound files. e.g.- pushing crate causes a 0.6 second "scrape" sound no matter how far it is pushed.

News Comments > GTA: Vice City Movies
10. Re: No subject Apr 28, 2003, 00:23 Xombie

Am I the only person not interested in hearing how uninterested people are in certain games?  

988 Comments. 50 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo