Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Xombie X

Real Name Xombie X   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Xombie
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description NEVER TESTED ON ANIMALS
SAFE FOR COLOR TREATED HAIR
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2001, 20:36
Total Comments 988 (Graduate)
User ID 10527

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > DOOM III Q&A
269. Re: Id May 7, 2003, 12:48 Xombie

This is exactly the problem, youre taking assumptions written in previews as if they were fact.
Actually that's not a problem for me. I'm willing to be wrong.

My question is simple: if you haven't played the game, how can you make a decision?
Easy: I look at the previews, and make a decision.

But, as you can see, what I'm not doing is forming an oppinion based on previews.
Would you like a cookie?

Here's an invalid oppinion: id should leave the industry.
Actually, that's a very valid opinion since the only two members that are still with id since their last single player game, and are the most influencial, are Carmack and Willits. Willits is a map designer, and Carmack has admitted that he doesn't even play games anymore.

Valve has almost no gaming history. People treat them like Gods of gaming.
And look at the history of id's current staff. Their animator hasn't even ever worked on a game before this.

This comment was edited on May 7, 12:55.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

241. Re: Id May 7, 2003, 00:20 Xombie

Xombie, have you played DOOM 3? Nope. Neither have I. When will you get that through your head? If you haven't played the game, how do you know so much about it?
Previews. That's what we're going on now. If you don't wish to discuss things based on previews, then I suggest you bother yourself more with topics that have to do with released games.
You're perfectly welcome to not participate, but I'm not going to stop talking about simply because you don't like the idea of me doing it.

This comment was edited on May 7, 12:33.

240. Re: Id May 7, 2003, 00:16 Xombie

id never said that. What they said was that it wouldn't be as long as Half-Life.
No, in the PC Gamer interview they stated that it would be short.

And speaking of scripted events, everything in Half-Life happens the same way the second time you play it.
I don't remember ever mentioning scripted events in Half Life 1, let alone denying that they exist. It's pretty damn well known that everything in HL1 was scripted.

239. Re: No subject May 7, 2003, 00:14 Xombie

Really? I beat it in a day. I had godmode, but that doesn't mean anything.
Actually, that would mean quite a bit.

I'm wondering what story there is to Half-Life except for what had been ripped directly from Doom: a portal has been opened and monsters have flooded the surroundings. Time for you to survive!
Considering that that horror theme goes back all the way to HP Lovecraft and old school sci fi, I'm wondering what original idea there is in any horror game on the market.

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Revealed
41. Re: Troika May 6, 2003, 16:37 Xombie

Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky, and Jason Anderson (the three founders of Troika) were part of the Fallout development team!
Tim Cain was Project Leader and Lead Programmer, Jason Anderson was Senior Artist, and Leonard Boyarsky was Art Director and Lead Artist. They also collectively were the three people who thought up the Fallout world in the first place. Tim Cain and Jason Anderson created the Fallout engine.

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Revealed
1. No subject May 6, 2003, 09:45 Xombie

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.  

224. Re: Id May 6, 2003, 09:43 Xombie

We also know that they've hired a new person to craft the story,
And with the way that id seems to present the game, I'm having doubts that this will do any good.

and there's a greater emphasis on scripted events (as in Half-Life).
How is that a good thing, though? That just limits replayability. Remember that Half Life is still one of the longest games ever made, while id has said that D3 will be short.

Would you describe an arcade fighting games gameplay as being fight, beat, next opponent?
That's not what I'm talking about, though. I'm specifically talking about "point, shoot, go to next room" in that those are the only options you are offered, besides hiding. I really don't see the difference between Unreal 2 and Doom 3 except the lighting engine and the horror theme. Remember that Unreal 2 seemingly failed with the gaming community.

215. Re: RE: Xombie May 6, 2003, 01:22 Xombie

Though I think you are being a bit pessimistic about how Doom3 will feel. I believe it will be more along the lines of your description of the AVP2 feel. (Imagine the same scenario without a motion sensor to give you a warning)
AvP2 had three times the length on D3, though, not to mention extensive multiplayer.

Where does your pessimism come from? Id's single player track record?
My pessimism comes from the fact that they haven't put forth a single revolutionary or unique gameplay element in Doom 3 whatsoever. They're even intentionally taking steps backwards. It reaks of Unreal 2. In fact, it sounds like a Doom mod for Unreal 2 with a better lighting engine.

214. Re: Xombie May 6, 2003, 01:17 Xombie

Regarding Doom3's AI: It is true that id announced that the monster AI will (purposely) not be as sophisticated as, for example, Half-Life's soldier AI.
You guys aren't getting it. Even HL2's MONSTER AI is going to be incredibly advanced. The fact is, even monsters need AI. A zombie, by legend and fame, would ruthlessly pursue you through doors, walls, up steps, etc. This is how the Ant Lions are going to act in HL2. id isn't making zombies, they're just making stupid AI.
Regardless of wether or not HL2 pans out this way is irrelevant. What i'm trying to point out is that this is how AI should be pursued, not id's silly ideology of "it's supposed to be bad, so we'll just skip it". Even stupid things should be designed to be stupid.

I have to agree with id's decision. When a monster sees you in Doom3, the intent is for them to charge at you with slobbering animal ferocity, not defensive, cunning tactical decisions.
It doesn't need to have tactical decisions. It needs to have the decisions of a ferocious animal. I very much doubt that id is even thinking of making the monsters do things like blast through doors (and don't tell me that isn't something monsters don't do. this happens in horror movies all the time).

Regarding Doom3's Interactive-ness: The interactivity level demonstrated bye the leaked build showed that you can shoot out lights, shoot and move boxes and furniture around
Yeah, but what effect will that have? Do the monsters recognize levels of light? Can you harm them by burying them in boxes?

access computer panels for the limited abilities of turning machinery on and off and opening doors
That's really nothing new. It's just a gameplay trick to artificially slow down the player.

He is a lone character in a horror story come to life who is trying to survive and kick some demon ass.
And that's the exact same point of Half Life 2, but Valve has actually put some work into making the gameplay assist it. Gordon can, in a panic, hit monsters with chairs or knock out a ceiling support and bury the damn things.
The only reason Doom 3 isn't going to have it is because id wants to get the game out ASAP. They are putting little to no thought into the gameplay. And you can say that it's a "valid type of FPS design" all you want, but as proven by Unreal 2, it isn't going to help them make all that money back.

209. Re: Id May 5, 2003, 12:45 Xombie

It doesn't matter what it sounds like to you, it was effective.
It was effective because it was the best anyone could do at the time. I seriously doubt it will have the same effect a second time, especially after people have now played games like SS2 and Eternal Darkness. id's going to have to pull something better than the "stumbling around in the dark" idea to make this one work.

This is true of every game. Nobody has the resources to accurately model an entire world with total freedom.
I'm not talking about the art, I'm talking about the design. Like someone said earlier, they are using an "ignore the man behind the curtain" sort of thing. They're intentionally limiting the ability of the player.

It also works in part because it has a simple interface but a broad scope of actual gameplay.
It has a narrow scope of gameplay. It has the exact same gameplay as in Unreal 2, and every other generic shooter. It's all just "point. shoot. go to next room."

204. Re: No subject May 5, 2003, 09:32 Xombie

[teh main mahn]
Are the issues you mentioned available at this time?
Yep. I picked myself up copies this weekend.

[ArA]
Instead of keeping an open mind you blindly accepted this HYPE
I never claimed I was doing otherwise.

and you have to face it its all hype and speculation at this point about all three games at this point D3, HL2, DX2
Yes, but as I said in my original point, there seems to be no reason to be hyped about D3. They've not named a single game feature that is both revolutionary and unique.

196. Re: No subject May 5, 2003, 01:59 Xombie

Except for defining a genre, building a community and building the engines which support it... whatever
And I gave them money for that.
They're a business, not a religious clergy.

Where are those articles you are asking me to read? I can't find them anywhere.
Try this month's issues of CGW and PC Gamer. That's what I meant when I said "the articles in CGM and PC Gamer". As mentioned on Blues News on April 22, and every single video game forum on the internet.

190. Re: No subject May 4, 2003, 22:21 Xombie

It is correct for me to state that we are all uncertain of the outcomes of Doom 3, Deus Ex 2 and Half-Life 2. The videos show nothing.
No, because no one has yet to give a counter argument to my original post.
I've still seen no reason to believe that Doom 3 will be interesting at all.

189. Re: No subject May 4, 2003, 22:20 Xombie

With what? Valve did nothing that was not done before and did not do it correctly.
I'm talking about Half Life 2. Read the CGW and PC Gamer articles.

Iím not sure about Ion Storm.
I'm talking about Deus Ex 2.

As far as help goes, id certainly deserves more credit than you or others give them.
id "deserves" nothing from me.

Poor AI is not the problem as is a lack of material to have to AI to interact with. There is no need to have complex AI if the environment and the abilities of the AI is severely limited (in which there always have been).
Yeah, exactly. Half Life 2 solves that exact dilemma. As always, I'm going to tell you to read the CGW and PC Gamer articles.

We will also read about other AI which has not even been proven to the public yet.
DX2 was shown to the public last year.

I wonder, then, how Doom was ever scary?
I thought Doom was scary when I first played it. I was in first grade, though, so I'd have to chalk it up to that.

Thatís pretty self-explanatory to me unless there is some subliminal message.
Yes, it means I think Deus Ex has a superior design.

Or so youíve read. There were no gameplay demos or interactive environments to explore but since Iíve seen the Doom 3/Quake 4 technology first-hand I do have the right to say that it honestly looks quite impressive
Exactly. id is relying solely on that they're trying to be the first ones in the pool.

That cannot be your excuse for a lack of responsibility.
You're right, which is why it isn't. It's my excuse for lack of objectivity. I don't care about being objective. I'm not getting paid to be objective. If either of us were objective, we wouldn't be arguing about games that aren't released.

As so will unnamed team in an unspecified amount of time. Can you be any more uncertain?
Deus Ex 2 is being released this summer and Half Life 2 is being released in September. Better?

188. Re: Games using id software's technology May 4, 2003, 22:00 Xombie

Xombie, every game devlopqer is going to talk about how impressive their AI is.
Once again, read the CGW article. It isn't a spin on how good their AI is, they give an example of how good it is.

But YOU won't know until you actually play the game.
Actually, I'll know when it's shown at E3 this month.

You're basically arguing froma standpoint that says "I won't believe the hype that DOOM 3 has generated, but I'll believe the hype that HL2 and DX2 have generated."
No, I'm arguing from the standpoint that there IS nothing that one can possibly be hyped about from the previews of Doom 3, when HL2 and DX2 are meeting the same mark and raising it.
Since Doom 3 was first announced, id have said the opposite of what anyone would want them to say. They've said the game will be short, it will have bad AI, it will have little multiplayer support, and you won't even be allowed to fully control your interaction with the environment, or even run. The only good things they seem to have mentioned are a good lighting engine and a horror theme.

HL2 and DX2 screens don't look half as good as D3 screens. Perhaps HL2 and DX2 are missing something... like the lighting engine?
What screens are you looking at? HL2 uses the same real-time pixel shading that D3 does, not to mention that it boasts better soft shadows. DX2's pixel shading tech is behind one of their core design concepts for both it and Thief 3.

183. Re: Games using id software's technology May 4, 2003, 18:14 Xombie

Why has this thread turned into pedantic rants about games that noone, outside the respective developmemnt companies, truly knows the AI and gameplay features/capabilities of?
Because we do know. There have been multiple previews done on Deus Ex 2 (not to mention its presence at E3 last year), and I've already seen five previews on HL2.

182. Re: No subject May 4, 2003, 18:11 Xombie

There weren't any un-scripted events in HL where the AI was impressive.
No one is arguing that the original HL had good AI.

181. Re: No subject May 4, 2003, 18:10 Xombie

Current AI is good. It serves its purpose well. When you say problems there are not many to mention. Those that are mentioned can be fixed.
No, current AI is currently good. It currently serves its purpose well. There are however problems with it, such as the fact that it isn't very intelligent. AI is meant to make the enemy act intuitively and realistically, something that no AI has yet done very well.
What Valve and Ion Storm are doing will set a new standard.

179. Re: No subject May 4, 2003, 18:00 Xombie

You are relying on a preconceived notion which states that if someone attempts said product they will garner a supremely optimistic opinion of the product.
No, I'm saying that it has a superior design.

I am no fan of Deus Ex. While I understand your reasoning regarding a difference in gameplay mechanics this does not hinder the optimistic people's arguments of Doom 3's possible success.
Actually, it's just rather unlikely that anyone who dislikes Dues Ex is even looking for a game with immersive design.

You also write in regard of Half-Life 2's released information.
Yes. Half Life 2 is going to have every piece of technology that D3 is using, plus more. Valve's also putting an extensive amount of time into its AI, physics relevant to gameplay, better character animation, etc.
It quite simply trumps Doom 3 on every level except possibly in that it isn't a horror game.

While this is your opinion it is just that: your opinion. You make the mistake of crossing the line between subjectivity and objectivity.
We're not journalists, we're nerds arguing on a message board.

In order for AI to frighten with the use of intellect, there would have to be a different set of variables for level design, scripting and general gameplay. What you ask of is not currently possible.
Wrong, it is currently possible, and Valve has done it. We'll see videos of it when E3 rolls around. Read the article in CGW for the gist of things.

Intellect is not needed for a frightening experience. For a simple example, you may be referred to the Doom series of games, and perhaps Quake.
Intellect will be necessary after it is first used. It hasn't been necessary because it hasn't surfaced, ant therefore it wasn't necessary to compete. Just like an FPS having an involving story that unfolds throughout the game wasn't necessary until they started using that. The same now goes for physics, and it will go for AI after DX2 and HL2 are released.

The result of the id Software team's efforts remains to be observed.
It was seen at E3 last year.

178. Re: No subject May 4, 2003, 17:45 Xombie

Youre right there is no point in arguing about which game is going to be better, Doom3 or Half-Life2 or DX2 or whatever, we just dont know
Then you don't have to argue about it.

All we know is that Doom3 looks like it has the best visuals bye far,
No, actually, they don't. All three games will have pixel-shading, bump-mapping (normal mapping), etc. Half-Life 2, though, will have the advantages of higher poly counts, outdoor environments, and a much better character animation system.

now Im looking forward to seeing both games in action, and then forming an oppinion
That's nice, but if you think that everyone else must do that too, you're sadly mistaken.

988 Comments. 50 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo