Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Xombie X

Real Name Xombie X   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Xombie
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description NEVER TESTED ON ANIMALS
SAFE FOR COLOR TREATED HAIR
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2001, 20:36
Total Comments 988 (Graduate)
User ID 10527

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > DOOM III Trailer
84. Re: No subject May 13, 2003, 16:57 Xombie

Ok, well then I must ask you this: what do graphics have to do with hype?
Apparently, everything.

You just admitted the graphics do, in fact, look great
No, I admitted that the engine has the potential for great graphics. I still say that the graphics for Doom 3 do not seem to live up to its hype.

What did you see in this video that made you think it will be anything like Unreal 2?
The fact that the gameplay seems to consist entirely of shooting at monsters and watching cutscenes.

What did you see in the video that turns you off to the game?
The lack of anything justifying its $50 price tag.\

The truth is, you have nothing until you play it. So play it, then gripe about it.
The truth is, that none of you can give any real reason to look forward to this game beyond that it has a nice lighting engine and the word "Doom" in the title.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

82. Re: No subject May 13, 2003, 16:50 Xombie

The original Doom had gameplay
No, actually, its gameplay wasn't that different from Wolf 3D. It simply seemed otherwise since it was one of the only FPS's on the market. Not to mention that Doom's gameplay idea has been played out so much since its release, it will not work for a new game. Unreal 2 proved this.

You act as though the lighting is purely eye-candy; the equivalent of a cutscene. In fact it is fully interactive, which is what the whole fuss is about. It will affect and in fact create gameplay.
No, it is indeed pure eye-canding. You're thinking of Dues Ex 2.
You're welcome to prove me wrong on this, if you want.

I'm not sure I understand that statement.
It was a typo, I meant "graphics". I've edited it in the original statement.

Well, sure, but those are all yet to be seen. One could say that something broad like "destructible objects" or "interactive environments" are a mainstay of high end gaming, but that doesn't mean that one game doesn't do it better than others, or that just because it's there that it's implemented well.
You're not getting it. It isn't in Doom 3 at all. Doom 3 is simply a straightforward run-and-gun shooter. They've said this multiple times.
As opposed to Half Life 2 and Deus Ex 2, whose gameplay innovations have been described in detail.

Now I just don't understand what you're basing these conclusions on. We've still hardly seen Doom 3.
We've seen two movies, many lengthy previews, screenshot after screenshot, and even a leaked demo.
And after all this, not one interesting bit of gameplay has been heard of in Doom 3. Not a single thing has been seen that would justify paying for it. It's like Unreal 2 and Resident Evil had a bastard child, and it was put into an engine it doesn't use the real potential of.

I mean, to an extent I see where you're coming from, I don't expect Doom 3 to have really deep gameplay, but I don't think anyone does.
Its gameplay is nothing NEW, though. The hype surrounding this does not equal the sales of any of the other games that are exactly like its description. The only thing going for it is eyecandy.

80. Re: No subject May 13, 2003, 16:41 Xombie

Is it being hyped? not in the least bit.
Tim Willits's recent little "DOOM 3 SHALL ROXOR J00!" interview begs to differ. Same goes for the other interviews that have gone up since E3, especially the huge PC Gamer article last year.

All the 3D character models are generated with Maya.. the models are simply ported into a key framing animation App and "viola!" life. I don't know what your talking about on that point????
Look at the skull in the first screen shot. That's low poly, and certainly not smooth. What Doom 3 does is takes ultra-high-poly models and turn them low poly. This was covered in the PCG interview last year. And it seems that it hasn't turned out looking too good.

with Doom III there are obvious curvatures to surfaces
It just looks like there are a lot of curvatures, from their use of Normal Mapping. In actuality, they're low-poly models. Look at the bottom of the leftmost spider's left front leg. The angles are obvious.

But, as long as the creative processes don't hire idiots that make screenplays for movies like The Core and Armeggedon.. everything may turn out alright
It would take one hell of a story to make up for the gameplay shortcomings in Doom 3.

75. Re: No subject May 13, 2003, 16:27 Xombie

Yea. Lighting is Everything when it comes to what you see around you.
Lighting is no substitute for gameplay.

It's lighting fx that will give us Pixar quality gaming
No, only pixar-level graphics will give us pixar quality graphics.

You probably weren't all that impressed with the physics of the game ether, were you?
I'm more impressed with the Havok engine.

When the zombie burst from the floor and the grating went bouncing to the ground.
That's also possible in Half Life 2, Theif 3, Deus Ex 2, etc etc. Physics are now a mainstay in high-end gaming.

Hmmmmmm. Seems to me you don't have much of an appreciation for the evolution of gaming.
Only when it involves actual results instead of simple potential. This engine probably will be something great, but id certainly isn't showing it in Doom 3.

So, tell us. What game makes you go WOW! Im sure you'll say Stalker. High polys and high rez textures. yea? Like a book. ....or, maybe your just trying to be differnt and stand out?
I keep hearing about Stalker, but I actually haven't looked that closely at any media for it.

Well, we know one thing for sure. If you do play this. Your going to be complaning, complaining, the whole entire time
Why would I play such an uninteresting game?

Because technology just isn't where you want it to be yet, if ever.
Actually, it is where I want it to be. Deus Ex 2 is going to have much better Normal Mapping, and Half Life 2 is going to have better texturing, modelling, animation, physics, etc.
I just don't see how the game Doom 3 can possibly compare to the rest of the flock when it comes to next-gen PC games.

I notice that you haven't actually named anything innovative, new, or uniqute about Doom 3 beyond the lighting and liquid physics.
And why are you taking my criticism of Doom 3 personally?

This comment was edited on May 13, 16:31.

69. No subject May 13, 2003, 15:40 Xombie

Tony!!!:
Xombie, you have no credibility in your opinion.
The graphics are amazing.
You can insult me until your face turns blue, but I have yet to see anyone actually state anything revolutionary or unique in this engine besides the lighting.

The dude:
...the reason why id is using the Maya render also is because of the smooth modeling and bump mapping features it offers
What's in Maya isn't necessarily what's seen in the game. The game renders using the D3 engine, not Maya. id has already said that the engine takes high-poly models and makes them low-poly.

have no idea why Xombie is so focused on textures...
Because Xombie can't see any way to justify buying a $50 tech demo for a lighting engine.

If you are seeing textures?" it's due to the highly demanding nature of surface model bump mapping
I didn't say I had a problem with there BEING textures. I have a problem with them being low res.

When you see a model rendered in Doom III you are seeing real time nurbed objects (which provides that smooth skin surface not angular)
Then please tell me why there are quite obviously angular skin surfaces.

Carmack has incorporated into what is eqivelant to realtime CGI not those cool CGIs you see when a game intro begins.
I'm sorry, but so what? The models still seem look like Quake 3 calibur ones in-game.
I'm not questioning it from a technological or programming standpoint, I'm questioning what in the hell Doom 3 has over other next-gen PC games besides the lighting engine.

as for other effects: blood that behaves with the physics of water. and sorted other features
Alright, water physics. That's impressive. But that still only makes two things.

I really do not question this engine's potential. I'll admit right now that the engine will probably spawn many great graphical wonders in upcoming games. The Q3 engine proved that id can make engines that can be used well by third party developers. What I am questioning is the hype over this game, and id's ability to actually create a decent single player game in today's game market. If this engine can do so much, id certainly doesn't seem to be the ones using that potential at all. This all seems to add up to just another Unreal2-type letdown. While seeing realistic blood and lighting is neat, I don't see a reason for paying to see a tech demo for it.

65. Re: Screenshots very ordinary May 13, 2003, 15:22 Xombie

The (ahem) Elvis-like upper-lip snarl on the guy's face when the skull flys into him
That's just skeletal animation. It's been around for years, no one's been using it simply because of the amount of power it takes to render, not because they couldn't do it. It's simply scripted animation.

which features were sacrificed?.
It would seem that polygons and textures were sacrificed.

44. Re: Excuse me... May 13, 2003, 12:53 Xombie

Anyone who mentions the words "sub-par" in the same sentence as "doom 3 engine" must have some serious type of eye cancer.
Great. Then you must be able to tell me what is so "revolutionary" about this engine besides the lighting. Because the textures and models certainly don't fit the word "revolutionary" at all.

42. Re: screenshots May 13, 2003, 12:43 Xombie

Those spider things look great, but the flaming skull (lost souls?) seems to be low-poly. I guess it was an early dev shot.
Keep telling yourself that. These are new screenshots. NO marketer in their right mind would release old shots at a new E3.
The engine still takes high-poly models and makes them low-poly. Obviously not very well, either. Just like it did a year ago.

41. Re: Screenshots very ordinary May 13, 2003, 12:41 Xombie

After watching that movie, I feel the screenshots really don't do the game justice
They show what's there. Not to mention that marketers choose carefully the best screenshots for release. You can't see it while moving, but the textures and models are obviously pretty sub-par.

The engine is obviously pushing computer technology to the limits
And obviously only the lighting engine is doing that.

You can only do so much with current available processing power and it looks like id did a good job in making an efficient engine.
It's not efficient, though. They simply sacrificed many graphical features in order to allow for their super-taxing lighting engine that has actual effect on gameplay.

It seems to play like the original Doom.
id has already said that it won't. They simply showed short action sequences in the video. The actual game, according to the horse's mouth, will have a slow pace in between fewer monsters. Very different from the original's "toss a horde at you" style.

Any major gameplay changes from the original would be an insult to the fans
I don't see how making a new game with outdated, cliche gameplay (they seem to be making an FPS Resident Evil in space) and charging $50 bucks for it is going to pay homage to the fans of the series.

36. Re: Screenshots very ordinary May 13, 2003, 12:16 Xombie

It's not just you. The textures are just as sketchy as any other game out right now, and the models look low-poly.
The only impressive thing is the lighting.

News Comments > It Came from E3, Part 0
1. No subject May 13, 2003, 10:08 Xombie

And so it begins...  

News Comments > The Rise of the Fall of Max Payne
14. Re: yep May 12, 2003, 12:18 Xombie

Doom 3
Half Life 2
Max Pain 2
Deus Ex 2
Thief 3
Jedi Knight 3
Quake 4
Elite Force 2
I don't think Thief 3 is planned for release this year. I know Quake 4 isn't.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Previews
107. Re: Halo May 12, 2003, 01:57 Xombie

to bad your just a pc fan boy, your missing out on a timeless game. Just like System Shock 2 is still a great game today, halo will stand the same. You should be glad you have the chance to play it.
Halo is being ported to PC, and no, it does not compare to SS2. In any way.
And it's "you're".

105. Re: Followers!!! The lot of you! May 12, 2003, 01:06 Xombie

Again Xombie, you are basing your conclusion on rumors
No, I'm basing on the fact that they haven't named a single innovative or creative thing they are doing with the game, except the lighting.

If you can prove me wrong, paste me some proof, but i'm sure you're again just talking out of a hatred for Id
It's in the PC gamer article from last year. Remember? The one with the big "DOOM 3" cover on it?
-They aren't working heavily on the AI
-They're not allowing the player to run

GG valve, the only reason i even bought Hl initially was due to promises of TF2
Why would you buy a game only for a mod or expansion that wasn't even gold yet? That's hardly their fault.

99. Re: 3 big shooters slug it out? May 10, 2003, 23:19 Xombie

Hmm Halo 2 I will play just because I loved Halo. It was a well made game with a lot of replayability value
Of course it did. You replayed the same f*cking room over and over in single game.

But I don't think I will bother with it because it will most likely be packaged with that stupid Steam delivery system
It's being both boxed retail and put on Steam.

90. Re: U gotta luv 2003!!! May 9, 2003, 17:44 Xombie

Actually, we don't know this for sure. If the hype was to be believed, Unreal 2 would have made us forget about Doom 3, Deus Ex : IW, Stalker AND any possible Half Life 2.
How? I don't remember any previewed gameplay features being very innovative.

83. Re: Followers!!! The lot of you! May 9, 2003, 12:52 Xombie

For years now, all that has been posted is, "Valve Sucks".
I don't remember saying anything about Valve before the announcement of HL2. I remember most people simply believing that Valve wasn't actually doing anything but feeding off the profits from HL1 and its addons/mods/etc, which it seems is exactly what Valve wanted people to think.

Oh & the hype! D3 is going to be a kick ass game. It will be different from HL2, but in ways much better.
id has admitted that they are doing only bare-bones design tecniques for Doom 3. They're using the classic survival-horror style: poor AI, dark rooms, slow pace, etc. Please don't pretend that there is anything revolutionary about Doom 3 beyond the engine.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Preview
22. No subject May 8, 2003, 12:38 Xombie

Wow. A whole page so far without negative comments.
I guess everyone is excited about this game?

News Comments > DOOM III Q&A
275. No subject May 7, 2003, 16:11 Xombie

It might be 500.  

News Comments > DOOM III Q&A
272. Re: Id May 7, 2003, 13:27 Xombie

No, he hasn't worked on a game... he worked on SHREK! Shows the quality they have in their department.
Yeah, if they want to make a cartoon any time soon.

Ok... whatever. Instead of talking on the chance that you could be wrong, why not be open minded and wait for the game? It's kind of a silly stance.
To you. I don't see why you have such a problem with it. Are you secretly my mother, or do you just not like me talking shit about id?

Since you don't like id's previous games,
When did I say that?
You're talking to the wrong person.

988 Comments. 50 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo