Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Xombie X

Real Name Xombie X   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Xombie
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description NEVER TESTED ON ANIMALS
SAFE FOR COLOR TREATED HAIR
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2001, 20:36
Total Comments 988 (Graduate)
User ID 10527

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > DOOM III Trailer
154. Re: I could be wrong, but May 14, 2003, 01:23 Xombie

all fps' are kill the monster and go on.
Not the run-and-gun gameplay of games like Doom, though. Doom and Unreal type gameplay as opposed to something like DX or NOLF2. "Kill the monster and go on" as in those are your only gameplay options is what is bad.

all fps's have been linear. no multiple-outcomes to choose from. this includes unreal, halflife, thief, you name it...
Half Life had two outcomes. Deus Ex had three. Deus Ex set a new standard in that you can choose your own path through the levels (and I do admit that the story was ultimately linear, I'm referring to the short-term gameplay)

all ai is bullshit (what do you want, them to decide to make peace and play chess and draw you a monet'??, its just follow you and kill you)
Play NOLF2 or read up on Deus Ex 2's AI.
Not to mention that id isn't even trying to make the AI complex.

plot is as usual. alone with aliens to fight.
unreal/halflife/original doom/all the quakes, etc. you name it. i'd guess half of all fps' are this plot.
No one is arguing that it isn't a recurring plot. But they certainly seem to just be rehashing the exact storyline they had with Doom 1, which really won't cut it vs. today's FPS games.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

149. Re: this is pathetic May 14, 2003, 01:13 Xombie

36. Re: Screenshots very ordinary May 13, 12:16 Xombie
Hm. Forgot I posted before I went to my Anth class.

145. Re: this is pathetic May 14, 2003, 01:00 Xombie

i just feel thats it pretty pathetic on all of our parts that we've been arguing with xombie since about 10am this Tuesday morning
3pm, actually.

He's posted at least once for every half hour until 1am wednesday morning
Which would be impossible since I wasn't even in my dorm from 8:30-11:30.

This comment was edited on May 14, 01:05.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Previews
116. Re: well i'm done May 14, 2003, 00:55 Xombie

no you didn't bring it up but you DID comment on it.
Never said I didn't.

141. Re: stuff May 14, 2003, 00:52 Xombie

Not quite accurate. Thief, and System Shock 2 by virtue of using the Dark Engine, had dynamic lighting generating the shadows. It wasn't shadow casting rather more light projection with the engine defaulting to a fairly dark rendering style. But it was entirely dynamic - water arrows demonstrated this.
True.

140. Re: No subject May 14, 2003, 00:43 Xombie

Yes there are: John Carmack's next engine. id doing single player. Content and themes drawn from a revolutionary game that influenced many for years to come.
Yes, but the only thing that has the potential to repeat history is Carmack's engine. This isn't the same id that made thier past single player games. Only a handful of their big names are still there.

You believe you've seen everything from screens and videos. I believe there is much id has kept to itself regarding Doom 3 gameplay.
The problem is with what they have said. The important parts to a modern single player game that they've explicitly stated they are not focusing on. The gameplay mistakes they are carrying over from their past games (e.g.- keycards).
I'm not saying a media blackout is inherently bad. What I am saying is that a media blackout that is still in effect during the last E3 prior to release, not to mention well after the game has been officially announced and "demoed" to the press, AND after they've had multiple interviews about the game, certainly seems to lend toward the suspicion that they aren't covering up some awesome thing.
It just doesn't sound right.

you say some things that are right, but they get lost in the overblown misstated hype.
I think that things are right with the engine. But I have seen no reason to be excited about the game itself beyond that engine. It doesn't even seem like it's going to be using the engine's full potential.

This comment was edited on May 14, 00:48.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Previews
114. Re: Followers!!! The lot of you! May 14, 2003, 00:22 Xombie

wtf are you talking about... the running feature is even integrated into the leaked alpha fool
The leaked alpha that was made before the article came out.

Also, why is it you find it necessary to bitch about Doom 3 on every forum on this site?
I didn't bring up Doom 3.

This comment was edited on May 14, 00:24.

137. Re: No subject May 14, 2003, 00:16 Xombie

-
This comment was edited on May 14, 00:35.

135. Re: No subject May 13, 2003, 23:42 Xombie

While he does make the occasional point, he never adjusts his thinking or alters his opinions
Neither does anyone else who I'm arguing with. Hence how the argument has gone on for 7 pages.

He expects to either annoy or convert
I'm not the one insulting people who disagree with me about a game. I've only attacked the game, and have yet to see why you people take it so personally.
I'm as entitled to expressing my opinion as you are to express yours.

This comment was edited on May 13, 23:46.

134. Re: No subject May 13, 2003, 23:38 Xombie

If i recall, the debate seemed to be whether "the dude" analysis of the Doom 3 engine and it's affect on gameplay was correct. It is. The lighting will change the way we play a FPS. Singleplayer or multiplayer. That's got to be worth *some* kinda credit...right Xombie?
Currently, no. Potentially, yes.
Just like the U2 engine is a great engine and a crap game, yet along comes Ion Storm to use its potential, I think somoene will use the Doom 3 engine much better than id is, and then it will truly shine.
But I still think that Doom 3 seems to be highly overrated as a game.

113. Re: No subject May 13, 2003, 18:57 Xombie

you cannot name one engine that is evolving to the level of what the DOOM III engine is accomplishing... and I will state this again.

A R-E-A-L T-I-M-E OBJECT RENDERING ENGINE
Which would be exactly what I'm saying: all it is, is a $50 tech demo, just like Q3A was for the Q3 engine. And just like Q3, it is more than likely just going to end up getting ultimately tromped in terms of lastability.

Maybe because you are not a computer artist/ animator you don't get it... that separates us in the hierarchy of this.
Possibly. It sounds like from your perspective, the game and the engine are not mutually exclusive.
The fact is, though, Q3 the engine didn't make Q3A the game any less of a piece of crap.

I'll sum it up for you:
-There is nothing unique about Doom 3 the game, except the engine
-There is therefore no way to justify the hype for Doom 3 the game

112. Re: stuff May 13, 2003, 18:51 Xombie

do you tout HL or HL2?
Half Life 2.

also, i do think the lighting is gameplay. thief and system shock 2 both rode the dark and shadowy aspect.
Lighting isn't literally gameplay in either of those. The theif "darkness" system isn't caused by the actual shadows seen in game. It's programmed in, not dynamic. In Deus Ex 2 and Theif 3, the dynamic shadows are going to directly judge where the "dark spots" are.

i thought freelancer was gonna bore me. but after downloading it and checking it out, i think i'm gonna buy it.
I agree that Freelancer was fun. But no one hailed it as the second coming like they are Doom 3.

111. Re: No subject May 13, 2003, 18:47 Xombie

Your statement about "Deus Ex 2 is improving upon every single shortcoming of Deus Ex" is straight from the developer's mouth
No, it isn't, because they've actually explained HOW.

Previews of RtCW and Unreal2 said the AI was going to be complex
And I still don't remember them giving very good examples of how, as opposed to what previews of Half Life 2 have given.

What little details we do know about Doom3's engine (i.e. realistic physics) ended up integrated in these other engines too
Realistic physics have been attempted since before Doom 3 was announced. In fact, Deus Ex 2 announced that it would be using Havok even before Doom 3 was announced.

ended up integrated in these other engines too, but until you see proof of timelines for engine development,
Havok was released long before last year's E3.

Even so, arguing over an engine's possibilities is pointless.
Which is why I wrote an entire paragraph explaining that it isn't Doom 3's engine that I ultimately have a problem with.

Given id's track record, I'd say they know more than a little about what gamers are looking for
Yeah. Sure. I wouldn't *cough*Quake3*cough* put too much stock in that.

just stop flooding Blue's bboard space repeating yourself about textures and unoriginality in a 30 second promo video.
If people want me to stop talking, they should stop replying to me.

110. Re: No subject May 13, 2003, 18:41 Xombie

I hope you are referring to graphics, cuz if you are talking about other devs striving for ID gameplay then we are all doomed(no pun intented) to visually great but rediculously shallow gameplay.
Surely you jest. Everyone attempts to make "the next Quake 3!"

109. Re: Then Xombie... May 13, 2003, 18:39 Xombie

I like the evidence of HL2 being innovative by listing the usual stuff about advanced AI, new physics, character animation etc.
Whos seen these so far?
Dozens of news outlets have described, in detail, examples that they have been shown by Valve of how they happen in Half Life 2. As opposed to Doom 3, where no innovative features have been either named by anyone, even the developers.
But I certainly don't want to turn another D3 thread into a HL2 thread. The last time that happened it turned into chaos. If you want to criticize HL2 to such an extent, it would likely be more useful in the current HL2 thread. The only reason I brought up HL2 is as an example of what D3 is going to have to compete with during its release quarter.

Also, I'm wary of the magazine previews of HL2 as they've obviously got exclusives from the publisher and so are hardly likely to concentrate on negatives factors.
So why aren't you as wary of the Doom 3 previews?

The point I'm making (and MANY before me) is wait until you can play the demos and then make a judgement.
My negative judgement is as valid as anyone else's positive judgement.

That way, if the games are crap then we can all kick the devs in the teeth by not buying the game
Oh please. id could take a crap in a box, put it on the stands, and people would still buy it in droves.

107. Re: No subject May 13, 2003, 18:31 Xombie

Xombie: I smell Troll
Of all my posts in this thread about the game, not once have I insulted anyone or attempted to start a flame war with them. The only thing I've insulted is id and Doom 3.

Lighting IS a gameplay-affecting factor.
Play Splinter Cell.
Play Tenebrae.
That's not gameplay, that's mood. Lighting affecting gameplay is like in DX2/Theif 3, where the realtime shadows themselves are used by the AI code to tell if the AI can see the character.
The lighting in Doom 3 is not a gameplay affecting factor.

As for innovative things?
They've completely removed the "Hanna Barbera" effect from scenery; ie: in previous games, there's alway a giveaway as to which bit of scenery is going to move if you look close enough
That's not unique. It's been done in other games, and it's being done in Dues Ex 2, Half Life 2, and other games where there are physics weight on all objects.

But it's all a moot point; even if I could be bothered to think up another 10 reasons why I think the D3 engine is cutting edge, you'd dismiss them out of hand purely because you like to go against popular opinion.
No, I'd dismiss them because I've been able to dismiss them all as incorrect or not unique, with explaination.
I'd also like to point out that this is the first time I can remember complaining about a game on Blues News in the past year. In fact, I can count on one hand the amount of times that I've bitched about any game on Blue's News in my entire 2-year, 600 post history posting here.
In fact, before the PC Gamer preview last year, I was as excited about D3 as everyone else.
Seeing as you only have two posts, and just joined about a month and a half ago, I can see why you wouldn't know this.

Hey man, you may whinge but at least you're ORIGINAL, huh?
No, I'm not. Even in this thread there have been other people agreeing with me on this.

103. Re: No subject May 13, 2003, 18:19 Xombie

The Dude:
All that writing, and you failed to named anything innovative, new, or uniqute about Doom 3 beyond the engine that runs it.

90. Re: No subject May 13, 2003, 17:18 Xombie

Look at the trailor again. What id does in games better than anyone else, imo, is atmosphere.
On the contrary, this trailer seems to have even less atmosphere than the first one. This one is reminiscent of AvP2.

Quake 2 is still one of my all time favorite single player games. Granted, it wasn't as good as Deus Ex or System Shock 2, and also granted, id doesn't make complicated or complex gameplay
Then they shouldn't make it cost $50. They could at least be honest about the little work they've actually done on the gameplay.

Atmosphere & Tension
There's an entire genre of games with this same thing for a fraction of the price.

The animation just looks outstanding (that thing crawling down the pipe looks too cool)
On the contrary, the animation looks scripted.

Money (id has it, and doesn't have to meet anyone elses deadlines, so they can finish and polish)
They have to meet their own deadlines. Carmack has said that he doesn't want to show the game at multiple E3's.

And if the Graphics can't do it for you, man you are jaded!!
I've said it once, I'll say it again. I'm not paying $50 for a tech demo. At least with Q3A there were mods.

89. Re: No subject May 13, 2003, 17:12 Xombie

hmmmm. Is the gameplay in Dues Ex 2 new???
Yes, for example, there's the:
-Complex AI
-Advances in stealth gameplay
-Physics that affect gameplay
-Advances in open-ended gameplay
-Lighting that affects gameplay

ISSSSS the gameplay in Half Life 2 NEW??
Again, yes. Examples:
-Very complex AI
-Physics that apply every part of the game environment
-Advances in dynamic character animation (e.g.-modelling details right down to dilation of the pupils of a character's eye)
-Realistic NPC interaction with environment (e.g.- aformentioned dialation depends on what characters are looking at, NPC's feet actually touch steps)

Is the gameplay in Thief 3
There's been very few details released about Theif 3 beyond the graphics engine, hence why I rarely mention it.

All these games are sequels with better graphics, AI, sound and some extra bells and whistles here and there.
Half Life 2 is going to be nothing like Half Life's scripted nature. Deus Ex 2 is improving upon virtually every single shortcoming of Deus Ex.

So, its not something NEW you want. It's just a certain STYLE that you prefer.
Innovative and complex gameplay is a "style" now? Is that a way to justify bargain-bin gameplay at a $50 price?

86. No subject May 13, 2003, 17:02 Xombie

After five pages, I still notice that no one has actually actually named anything innovative, new, or uniqute about Doom 3 beyond the lighting and liquid physics.
I see insults (and again, I don't see why, since I haven't personally attacked any of you at all), spin, dodges, and people saying that I'm not "allowed" to question the hype around Doom 3.
But no one has named any reason why this will be anything more than just another survival horror shooter with pretty lighting. This is why I'm questioning the hype around this stupid thing.

988 Comments. 50 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo