Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Xombie X

Real Name Xombie X   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Xombie
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description NEVER TESTED ON ANIMALS
SAFE FOR COLOR TREATED HAIR
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2001, 20:36
Total Comments 988 (Graduate)
User ID 10527

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Trailer
73. Dammit. May 15, 2003, 00:57 Xombie

Anyone else have a problem sitting through other game movies after seeing the full 25 minutes of HL2?
Everything else seems so half-assed in comparison...

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: No subject May 14, 2003, 22:56 Xombie

Also the grav gun looks cool... but I'd have been happier seing Gordon grab and toss stuff by hand. THAT would have been really cool.
It would be pretty silly to see Gordy just picking up chests and radiators and tossing them 50ft, though.

40. No subject May 14, 2003, 22:15 Xombie

Ok, wait, I was wrong. The combine soldier demo is part of the E3 demos.
I was thinking it was odd since the crowbar looked like it was acting weird. I just watched it again and realized that gordon just swings the crowbar weird, I wasn't seeing the tip of it hitting the wood. It does indeed splinter exactly where he hits it.

38. Re: No subject May 14, 2003, 22:05 Xombie

Yeah. The demo feeds seem to be Gamespot exclusives. I gave in and signed up for Complete earlier today. It was worth every penny.
Look on Shacknews forums, someone will probably upload them somewhere.

The details are just amazing. I think the coolest part was in one of the last feeds, where the strider skewers the scientist... then shakes him off.

This comment was edited on May 14, 22:07.

34. No subject May 14, 2003, 21:57 Xombie

I feel sorry for the people that haven't been able to see the Half Life demo feed #1. The trailer really doesn't do the game or engine justice.
It seems like the trailer is for the build that they showed the press before all those previews were released in the past month, while the newest footage gives a swift kick to the ass of all other physics engines ever seen.

This comment was edited on May 14, 22:02.

26. No subject May 14, 2003, 21:21 Xombie

I should have watched the HL2 movies last. Now all the other games look like crap.  

5. Re: Doh! May 14, 2003, 19:22 Xombie

I just signed up for Complete today as soon as I saw that GS had the videos.
And yes, it was worth the five dollars.

News Comments > DOOM III Trailer
1. No subject May 14, 2003, 16:37 Xombie

Gamespot's dead.  

188. No subject May 14, 2003, 12:42 Xombie

Alright, that's about the fifth person that has come in mid-thread to start a new paragraph. There's no way I'm reading and responding to another ten pages with E3 going on.
This argument can be held off until later.

This comment was edited on May 14, 12:44.

184. Re: I could be wrong, but May 14, 2003, 12:15 Xombie

Although Xombie claims to have numerous quotes from id programmers boasting of the shortcomings of their product, I have yet to see an actual link stating such
That's because, as I said, it was in PC Gamer last year.

178. Re: Movie May 14, 2003, 10:24 Xombie

Any hints as to where I can get the actual movie itself? The NON-shaky cam version?
I don't think it's been released yet.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Previews
118. Re: well i'm done May 14, 2003, 09:51 Xombie

Check post 114. Nite boss.
What's your point? I said I didn't bring up the subject, not that I didn't comment about it.

175. Re: this is pathetic May 14, 2003, 09:50 Xombie

Emergent mean to come up with. Not implicitly new.
I'm using "emergent game design" as a term for the style of game design that games like DX use. Now that I think of it, "Systematic Level Design" is more accurate of a term. I'm referring to the sort of thing that Harvey Smith gave a lecture on at the GDC.

id hired a professional SciFi writer to add the story to know events. Do you know the whole story or just the premise it's based on ?
id have never had a real in-game storyline. In fact, they haven't made a single player game since before it became commonplace. Forgive me if I'm a tad skeptical of their ability to accomplish it.
And even if someone writes a good sci fi story, it's still up to id to be able to incorporate it into the game. Again, this has always been one of their weak points.

id have been there and done that before. They say they are putting all efforts to the single player game.
I know, but you asked for other things that would be good in an FPS. Extensive multiplayer is certainly one of them, regardless of what id is doing.

Do you know how long it will take to complete D3 ?
id don't. They haven't finished making it yet.
They have said that it will be short, no longer than Max Payne.

It doesn't take much to code the scripts to be different the 2nd/3rd time it's triggered ( yes I am a programmer ).
I know, but FPS makers can certainly do better than that.

The monsters in the trailer seem to move very well. That monster crawling down the pipe looks like it's taken from the techdemo for the spiderman film.
I'm not talking about simply making animation "closer to Pixar". I'm talking about innovation. Like Valve's ideas with the focus of an NPC's eyes.

Being able to move large boxes and barrels etc does affect gameplay because you can hide behind them and build barriers, they will also cast shadows to hide in etc.
The only people who I've heard have accomplished this (and the only people that have shown anyone proof of it) is ISA.

This will is possible now, you just need to wait for the machines with 2gig of memory and 4-5ghz of processor power.
Read some of the Half Life 2 articles for examples of what I'm talking about. You don't need that much computing power to have the environments interactive. The wrench example in the new Gamespy preview is a good example of making interactive environments work.

I don't accept crap - that's why I keep repling to you.
I saw that one coming a mile away

174. Re: endings May 14, 2003, 09:35 Xombie

Doom 3 might have alternative endings.
I never said it wouldn't. But I wouldn't consider that anything more than cliche.

No-ones played it yet so we can't say. This is the case with D3 HL2 and DX2,
No, again, it isn't. ISA and Valve have come forward with details about the innovations they are making in their gameplay. id hasn't.

Amazingly Xombie attacked my posting of this sentiment earlier on.
I didn't "attack" you in any way.

170. Re: Xombie - May 14, 2003, 07:55 Xombie

For now, we only have the hype to judge by, and this goes for Half-Life 2 and the other contenders as well. Hype alone. Not much to go by, is it?
For Half Life 2 and Deus Ex 2, it's quite a bit to go by. As in, multi-page articles explaining and exemplifying major innovations in gameplay in the game.
We haven't gotten anything like this for Doom 3.

But you seem to. But you refuse to fall for id's hype! Everyone else's hype is bona fide, though?
No, there is nothing so far released about the Doom 3 game (NOT THE ENGINE) to actually be hyped about.

Now, this could all be bullshit, but none of us are in a position to judge this right now! Again, we only have the hype to go by, and id is not the only company to hype its products.
I'm sorry, but so what? What the hell is it that you people find so harmful about debating the information we have? Don't pretend like none of us have formed opinions of games based on previews.

169. Re: this is pathetic May 14, 2003, 07:47 Xombie

So in what way as Q3A failed in "terms of lastability"?
Its sales numbers in comparison to the amount of people who are actually playing it online.

As for features of DooM ]|[
Great AI ( been done before )
Sorry to break it to you, but there isn't going to be great AI in Doom 3. id themselves have said so.

Great Physics and RagDoll effects ( been done before )
Use of Shadows ( been done before , but not with real shadows only fake lightmaps )
Those are engine features, not exclusive to the game.

Interactive Environment ( Been done before )
The only way environment will be interactive with D3 is with the physics.

Okay lets think so some NEW features...
-Emergent game design
-Fantastic story
-Extensive multiplayer
-Long gameplay
-Replayability (lack of scripting)
-Physics that directly affects gameplay
-Innovation in character animation
-ACTUAL interaction with environment (e.g. all doors lead to room, all drawers openable, every seemingly moveable object is moveable, physics affecting all models, etc.)
etc.

FPS=First Person Shooter ( running around in first person view shooting nasty things with big guns
If you keep accepting crap, you will keep getting crap.

This comment was edited on May 14, 07:50.

168. Re: Xombie - May 14, 2003, 07:39 Xombie

Do you know why people are flaming you? Because you are jumping to conclusions on a game you haven't even played.
No, that definitely doesn't seem like a logical jump. Just because someone disagrees with my opinion doesn't mean they should instantly start insulting me.

164. Re: I could be wrong, but May 14, 2003, 01:44 Xombie

Is it actualy worth playing through as different classes?
Definitely. It changes the game completely.

160. Re: I could be wrong, but May 14, 2003, 01:34 Xombie

Xombie, this is ridiculous. Saying the game wasn't linear (and Half Life was the most freaking linear game EVER) because of that is just stupid
I know. They were retarded. I'm not saying it was non-linear. But there were still two outcomes, while he said there was only one.

I don't think gameplay will advance beyond that kind of linearity for quite some time, probably a decade or more, though.
You're right. Though I think Arcanum came closest. There were only a handful of events that would happen to every character you played, and the way they played out was indeed very different depending on how you played the game.

155. Re: Fanboys vs ID Haters May 14, 2003, 01:27 Xombie

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2002-05-24&res=l  

988 Comments. 50 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo