Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Xombie X

Real Name Xombie X   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Xombie
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description NEVER TESTED ON ANIMALS
SAFE FOR COLOR TREATED HAIR
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2001, 20:36
Total Comments 988 (Graduate)
User ID 10527

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Trailer
138. Re: No subject May 15, 2003, 18:49 Xombie

I just hope none of u retards paid up.
I did, and I got to see all the HL vids in high-res while everyone else was either waiting for a stream or begging for a mirror. Not to mention the video interview they have.
Worth every penny.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Carmack on DOOM 3
52. Doom 3 to have no multiplayer May 15, 2003, 18:41 Xombie

Proof that I'm not the one raining on id fans' parade, Carmack is:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9517

51. Re: May 15, 2003, 18:25 Xombie

Actually the problem isn't the collision detection nor the skeletal systems used during game interaction. The problem is when you have a physics engine interpreting movement and contact, what happens is the developers have not created what's called a surface dection and deformation engine to handle the variables based on every point of a wall...
Doesn't HL2 have a surface deformation engine in it, though? That's like, one of the first things they showed in the physics video.

News Comments > DOOM III Trailer
233. No subject May 15, 2003, 18:20 Xombie

Honestly, Xombie, can you say one GOOD thing about DOOM 3 for us?
All of the people here acknowledge the game's so-called "Weak" points, such as linearity, but you're bent on focussing your debate completely on the negatives whilst citing none of the positives.
Are you really so jaded that you CANNOT see any positives in DOOM 3?
It looks kinda scary.
I'm not sure if that has much merit coming from me, though, since I was scared by AvP2.

This comment was edited on May 15, 19:50.

232. Re: hkm May 15, 2003, 18:18 Xombie

You are not raining on my parade, but are in fact debating one hype against another which I find to be quite silly. Its good to see that you have an opinion, it just seems rather hypocritical to be taking a critical opinion based upon the press of one game while you take a completely and naively positive view of another based upon little information.
No, that's not hypocritical. I'm judging both games using an equal amount of information about them. It would be hypocritical to criticize people for judging one game based on little press while judging another myself based on little press.

I see little discussion going on here. I do not understand why you cannot keep an open mind about all of the forthcoming games.
I am. But that doesn't mean it will be easy to convince me. It takes more than a "no you're wrong" to convince me of anything. If someone would actually have a convincing argument against mine, then I'm perfectly willing to be wrong. Hell, I've already changed my view on the engine itself due to someone earlier actually adressing me in a civil manner and providing a good explaination for his argument. I'm stubborn, not impossible.

47. Re: May 15, 2003, 17:38 Xombie

I'm not exactly the whizzkid on this, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but it was my understanding that the reason we have clipping problems in games is because the engine only looks at the skeleton of a model, not the model itself.
If that were the case, though, then there wouldn't be clipping in HL2, due to the muscle system.

134. Re: Whitewash effect? May 15, 2003, 17:35 Xombie

I finally managed to download the hi-res vids of HL2, but why do so many of the vids seem overly bright?
They're all shakycam videos. Also the reason why the sound sucks on them.

131. Re: No subject May 15, 2003, 17:12 Xombie

2) I am 100% convinced that that soldier who gets speared is scripted. He jumps out of an airlock, holds you up at gunpoint and tells you to freeze. Every other soldier in all the videos just immediately shoots at you.
I think more of what he's asking is "is it interactive?", not "is the soldier scripted?", since it obviously is scripted to be there.

3) The strider is a good question. I feel that the part where the striders walk out of buildings, and bend under that overhang is scripted (even though Valve says it isn't, it just seems to complex somehow for AI to handle).
I definitely think that is AI. It's actually one of the things they're giving as an example of the AI. It doesn't necessarily have to be completely something the AI figures out, it could be just one of the options the strider has for getting around things, and it still wouldn't be considered a script.

224. Re: hkm May 15, 2003, 16:56 Xombie

Well thats good for you. I just find it interesting how you cannot contain your deep loathing for DOOM3
Actually I can. As I posted twice, I'm not going to post my thoughts on the game again until E3 is over.

and as such you see fit to post your hatred for it in any thread regarding the game.
I've only posted about it in two threads regarding the game, and one or two times in other threads when other people brought up a comparison between the two.

The fact that you mention HL2 in almost every one of these posts
No, actually, I don't. I see quite a few of my posts which don't refer to Half Life 2 at all.

as being some sort of DOOM killer makes you a HL2 fanboy
No, me admitting that I'm a HL2 fanboy, makes me a HL2 fanboy.

...and over what? The Gospel truth that the developers that have been quoted on the myriad of articles about the game?
I've watched all nine of the gamespot videos multiple times. So I have seen with my own eyes what the articles have seen.

I just don't see why you have this desire to rain on the parade of those individuals that have an interest in DOOM3 by citing hyped up press releases for HL2.
I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I sincerely do not CARE if you continue liking Doom 3. But I have every right to criticize the game, just as much as you have the right to praise it. I'm not going to put my opinion on hold just because you may end up agreeing with my critical view.

It just seems to be very trollish.
Trolls only attempt to cause flames. I actually want a discussion on the subject of Doom 3. Hence why I actually argued my points, and never got personal with anyone simply for disagreeing with my point of view.
You want to see a troll? Look at fred. Now THAT is a troll.

42. Re: Save games May 15, 2003, 16:02 Xombie

Edit: nevermind...

This comment was edited on May 15, 17:00.

222. Re: hkm May 15, 2003, 15:57 Xombie

The problem isn't the presence of these supposed "id fanboys" that everyone is making reference to, its the fact that there are currently individuals who seem to be on this board for the sole purpose of causing disruption.
As I've said earlier, of my 600+ posts, I can count one hand the number of games I've been negative about. Not to mention that even in this thread, on this subject, I have not attempted to be insulting.
Don't pretend that I am the only person who does not believe Doom will live up to its hype. Several other people have posted in this thread and others agreeing with my sentiments.

I find it interesting how no one here seems to think that Xombie and his constant praise for Valve because of one noteworthy and memorable game created in the past is a fanboy for valve or the half life series
Because I'm not a big fan of the series. I'm a fanboy for Ion Storm, and have just recently become a fanboy for Half Life 2. I never even play Counterstrike.
I was all excited for Doom 3 last year just like everyone else, until I read the PC Gamer article.

124. Re: No subject May 15, 2003, 15:49 Xombie

First:...
Since the environment is completely interactive, I would have to assume that there are no dead-ends.

Second:...
In the PC Gamer article, Valve said that all semi-scripted events happen in-game, and are interactive. You see in the first time he meets up with Alyx and that scientist, he knocks over the computer and the scientist tells him to be careful.
I hope they don't end up doing something silly like in Deus Ex where the main characters were immortal at some points.

Third:...
I would assume that's AI. They have actually given all the scientists AI, so it would seem silly to do that and then script their actions. Not to mention that due to the interactive environment, you'd be able to destroy or move many of the things they used for cover (E.G.- the car, the dumpster)

What I'd like to know is if you can use the gravity gun on live NPC's. During the last video, I kept wanting him to just toss one of the damn scientists at the strider.

38. Re: May 15, 2003, 15:16 Xombie

The Dude, you made a number of points where valve is supposedly over id, and then u say that they will include shadows by september,.. um 4 months is not a lot of time to go back in and add a major feature, especially as now they should be working on game balance and finishing it up.
The engine already has pixel shaders implemented. It was demonstrated in the first part of the nine-part demo.

Think films here people. You dont compare Aliens to Lethal Weapon, but thats really what your doing.
You're forgetting something, though. Their basic plots are both a The Thing sort of horror-scifi. While Doom focuses more on the horror and Half Life focuses more on the sci fi, they're essentially both about posessed zombies invading a human-occupied planet.
It's more similar to Aliens and Predator. While they can both be considered horror and sci fi, Aliens is more often equated with horror and Predator is more often equated with sci fi.

Also yes they do have a skeletal system, however they dont use a skin system, so u get character clipping. DOOM3 does.
Actually, Half Life 2 uses a muscle system with its skeletal animation, which makes the animations more detailed and believable.
And unless I'm mistaken, clipping has to do with collision programming, not the animation system. I've only seen clipping problems in the HL2 media twice, and they were fairly minor. It would appear to me that those are bugs, not inherent of the engine.

Both have their pros and cons, nothing is perfect and no matter which one u rave about it will still have its flaws.
It would seem that Half Life 2 doesn't have many flaws.

Personnally i like to save often, thats a desicion that we shall have to wait and see on.
It's not just a matter of what we individually like. Intentionally limiting savegames is widely known as a gameplay parlor trick to artificially make the game last longer.

This comment was edited on May 15, 15:32.

121. No subject May 15, 2003, 15:03 Xombie

maybe we could get back to the subject of the video now?  

114. No subject May 15, 2003, 12:44 Xombie

Buying games = good
Not buying games = not good like buying games
I don't care what your position in life is. Getting the game without paying the developer is simply selfish.

24. Re: No subject May 15, 2003, 12:25 Xombie

I've seen way to many people take advantage of save and load schemes. Including myself. and it really does take away from the game.
Then the player can just not save often.
There are two camps: Those who don't want lots of saves, and those who do. Unlimited saves does not alienate those who don't wish to save often. Limited saves, however, alienates those who do.
I really do not see what is stopping people from stopping themselves from saving, if they truely believe that unlimited saves take away from tension in a game.

23. Re: Fister May 15, 2003, 12:22 Xombie

But, for those peeps who jump in, murder a load of people, and then jump out again its not great.
It's also not great for people who don't have the time available to sit down and play whole levels through at once. Then there's also the frustration that limited saves causes, especially in an FPS, where dying is very common.

12. The hits just keep on coming... May 15, 2003, 10:52 Xombie

Yes, occasionally savegames can take away tension.
Which is why you don't need to do it. In fact, many games have auto-save features, which allow the player to *never* have to go to the save screen, unless they die.
I'm against the horrible design mistake of limiting where and when a player can save. I hated it in GTA3 and GTAVC, too.
The fact is, if the player feels that multiple saves takes away from the tension, they can simply choose not to save. However there are those of us who do not have long stretches of time to play games in, and implementing limited saves simply serves to frustrate or alienate this group.

"Replaying an entire level because you made a mistake right near the end is frustrating and boring. As a designer, is that really your goal?"
-Ernest Adams, "Bad Game Designer, No Twinkie II", Gamasutra

92. Re: Dammit. May 15, 2003, 07:48 Xombie

Squirmer, I do believe those are for the Xbox version.  

211. Ahem May 15, 2003, 07:42 Xombie

For those of you that missed it...
"There's no way I'm reading and responding to another ten pages [of this thread] with E3 going on.
This argument can be held off until later."
-Me

988 Comments. 50 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo