Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Xombie X

Real Name Xombie X   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Xombie
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description NEVER TESTED ON ANIMALS
SAFE FOR COLOR TREATED HAIR
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2001, 20:36
Total Comments 988 (Graduate)
User ID 10527

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > DOOM III Trailer
256. Re: Ugh. May 16, 2003, 22:11 Xombie

They're zombies. How intelligent do you expect them to be?
I never said anything about them being intelligent. I'm talking about AI.

People will eventually break down into bashing the use button everywhere to find what to do next, or sliding along walls or shooting random things to find what to do next.
What the hell are you talking about?

Never heard them say this
It's in the PC Gamer article last year, like I said.

Multiplayer is going to be the focus of an addon pack.
So they're making people pay twice. How is this a good thing?

Carmack said that the game would be shorter, but more detailed/involved, "much like the trend the industry is taking
id hasn't given a single example of how it will be detailed or involved. Everything so far just points to the Unreal 2-style shallow "run and gun" pure action sytle.
Which is what my point is.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Carmack on DOOM 3
101. Re: No subject May 16, 2003, 18:07 Xombie

-
This comment was edited on May 16, 18:07.

100. Re: Ok. May 16, 2003, 18:05 Xombie

-
This comment was edited on May 16, 18:08.

94. Re: No subject May 16, 2003, 14:13 Xombie

one thing I like baout id is that they're not afraid to make the game they way THEY want it.
That's turning out to be not necessarily a good thing.

251. Re: Hehe May 16, 2003, 11:47 Xombie

Have you seen the new Silent Hill 3 trailer? I've never seen a creepier game movie in my life.

Also you horror fans out there might want to look up Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

News Comments > Tech Bits
1. No subject May 16, 2003, 10:03 Xombie

-

This comment was edited on May 16, 10:05.

249. Re: What would you do with out it!!! May 16, 2003, 09:25 Xombie

that is name one other game company that puts out the kind of atmoshpere that you can only find in an Id game
I'd suggest the Silent Hill series.

248. Re: LitCigar May 16, 2003, 09:17 Xombie

especially since he knows that the way he writes is bound to attract attention.
You mean... well?

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Trailer
166. No subject May 16, 2003, 01:56 Xombie

Zeph = fred wannabe

This comment was edited on May 16, 01:56.

162. Re: Stupid Followers May 16, 2003, 01:20 Xombie

While I certainly hope you're right Xombie, that judgement just *might* be a bit premature... before we crown Gabe king, let's find out a bit more It certainlty looks the look and appears to walk the walk, but it wouldn't be the first pretender to the throne that's come and gone.
Well we can check the temper of the blade all we want, but this is the most obvious case of someone having the bigger sword that I've ever seen. I mean, when a single video converts legions of people to MY side, that's saying something.
While other games seem to be making sacrifices left and right, people are struggling to find flaw in HL2.

156. Re: No subject May 16, 2003, 00:42 Xombie

Surely there has to be a certain degree of mapping related setup involved in stuff like that, even if it's as simple as tagging something destructable for the AI.
With the way the physics engine is set up, it would seem that everything is destructable, with a certain amount of force. E.G. Gordon could have blasted that skywalk if he had a gun as powerful as the strider's.

244. Re: Ugh. May 16, 2003, 00:40 Xombie

From what I remember, it was where they revealed that they aren't putting heavy work into the AI, are taking out the "use" button, spoke out against interactivity in environment such as drawers, explained that the multiplayer wouldn't be extensive, that the game would be short, etc. etc.  

70. Re: May 15, 2003, 23:55 Xombie

This discussion is pointless and is begining to sound like the whole "my dad can beat up your dad;'No my dad can beat up your dad" ordeal!
My dad CAN beat up your dad.

69. Re: Save games May 15, 2003, 23:54 Xombie

Zephalephelah, this is the 2nd topic so far I've seen you crying like a little bitch in.
Actually, if you look at his post history, he cries like a little bitch in 90% of the posts he makes.

152. Re: No subject May 15, 2003, 23:50 Xombie

I guess it falls more into a semantic discussion of "what is AI and what is a script", then. You see, while I'm sure that the strider RIGHT THERE knows what to do with that overhang, I wonder, would it know what to do with a similar type of overhang where it's AI is not expecting one to be there.
I think we should get an AI programmer's opinion on that. I'm not a programmer nor have I ever been good at programming. Because really I'm not sure where video game AI and scripted actions really blur.
I think that the strider's actions were part of its AI, rather than part of a scripted event, as Valve has been touting the strider as an example of their AI programming. Wether the AI is a true type of AI or an if=>then formula, I'm not sure.

151. Re: Stupid Followers May 15, 2003, 23:46 Xombie

I think that was a bit strong, but all too true. The morons that thought Valve died simply because they didn't have updates on their progress every second.
They've been silent on the status of their main projects since Half Life 1 went gold. Everything else we've ever heard from them was about addons. Hence why the HL2 announcement was so surprising.
It certainly did appear that all they were doing was sitting and enjoying the spoils of their riches, not creating what appears to be the greatest game ever made.

143. No subject May 15, 2003, 20:46 Xombie

OGHL?  

240. Re: Ugh. May 15, 2003, 20:22 Xombie

My point was that if the game was not Doom and it was not made by id, you wouldn't feel that it's necessary to make it a crusade to nitpick at the game.
I would if it had the same article as Doom 3 had in PC Gamer last year. Like I said, I was all for Doom 3 until that.

238. Re: Ugh. May 15, 2003, 19:50 Xombie

I really can't believe how jaded some of you guys are that you feel like you have to rip the game apart for really, no reason other than the fact that it's Doom
I never ripped on the fact that it's doom.

55. Re: May 15, 2003, 19:10 Xombie

DOOM IS DOOMED
*ahem*... I told you so.

I'll *MAYBE* buy DOOM III to complete the trilogy. But, it's going straight to the litter bin when HalfLife 2 hits the shelves.
Even better: Half Life 2 is coming out in September, and everyone who's spoken with the developers say they're perfectly confident with that date.
Doom 3 is tentatively set back to late December, if that, due to John's preoccupation with his little flying machines.

988 Comments. 50 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo