Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Xombie X

Real Name Xombie X   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Xombie
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description NEVER TESTED ON ANIMALS
SAFE FOR COLOR TREATED HAIR
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2001, 20:36
Total Comments 988 (Graduate)
User ID 10527

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > DOOM III Trailer
322. Re: Ugh. May 19, 2003, 01:43 Xombie

And how did I know that you would quote and rebuke my statement.?
I didn't. I'm saying there aren't any negative PC Gamer previews.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Trailer
231. Re: Worked for me May 19, 2003, 01:14 Xombie

My Striders were better anyway, they had flamethrowers
Well, these striders seem to have super-concussion-lasergun-things that can destroy buildings.

318. Re: Ugh. May 19, 2003, 01:11 Xombie

Xombie is still here in the 'DOOM' forum because he gets off on it
Xombie is still here in the Doom forum because he's fucking bored.

I don't think there is any PC Gamer article that says Doom isn't going to be fun!!!
There isn't a PC Gamer preview article in existence that has said any game will not be fun.

317. Re: Ugh. May 19, 2003, 01:05 Xombie

I thought you stopped at 287
I stopped arguing about Doom 3 at 287.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Trailer
229. Re: Worked for me May 18, 2003, 22:00 Xombie

Nice low poly legs he's got there too.
If you also look at recent screenshots, the skullspider things also have low-poly legs, as do the top of the heads of the flying skulls (demonic skulls?).
The problem is that they're doing a very poor job of using Normal Mapping. The technique is intended to cover up the polys, while they're quite obvious in Doom 3.

311. Re: Ugh. May 18, 2003, 21:53 Xombie

Yet another example of why people are attacking you. You always talk down to people
No, I wasn't. I was saying that I don't explicitly state where my opinion is and where my factual information is because I believe that everyone here is perfectly capable of discerning the two by themselves.
Have I ever attempted to insult the people I'm arguing with simply for disagreeing with me? No. Have I ever attempted to make my arguments personal in any way? No.
I don't care what "secret" context you think you're reading. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me on the subject of Doom 3, as long as they are doing it out of a logical standpoint, and not a personal vendetta against me.

This comment was edited on May 18, 21:56.

308. Re: No subject May 18, 2003, 15:07 Xombie

Thats why Im glad that even though you piss me off
I'd seriously like to know why anything that I've said has pissed you off. I've never attacked you, or anyone else. I've only attacked the game.

Edit: Nevermind, you're an id fanboy.
"EPIC sucks EGGS, Id forever!!" --ArA, Sep 11, 01:54
"If ID made a complete remake of Doom2, exactly the same monsters, levels, cheesy storyline, etc. etc. but they used the new engine, I would buy it. And I would play it. Even if it didnt have mouse look." --ArA, May 4, 04:36

This comment was edited on May 18, 15:16.

303. Re: Forgive me Blue! May 18, 2003, 00:55 Xombie

[doublepost]
This comment was edited on May 18, 00:56.

302. Re: No subject May 18, 2003, 00:54 Xombie

lol...you guys are still debating eh?
I officially stopped at 287.

301. Re: Forgive me Blue! May 18, 2003, 00:54 Xombie

All right Nonicknameforme. I'm convinced... this thread has gone on too long. I don't even want to think what's in the photo...

ADODB.Field error '800a0bcd'

Either BOF or EOF is True, or the current record has been deleted. Requested operation requires a current record.

/viewphoto.asp, line 46

292. Re: Be nice... May 17, 2003, 19:42 Xombie

-
This comment was edited on May 17, 19:43.

287. Re: Be nice... May 17, 2003, 19:13 Xombie

I mean it's just strange (and yes, a little irritating) to us id fanboys, because we're looking at a diamond, and you're telling us you see a turd.
Yes. I am. Because I have very high standards for game design, and even with the amount of press id have attempted to give out, they have not backed up any of their words.
I read all these interviews with Tim Willits giving his little spin about how the game's going to have some sort of revolutionary gameplay and interactivity, and then look at what media they've given out, and I do not see it. Less than a year away from release, and over a year after the game's official announcement, I have sincere doubts that it will magically show up. They're obviously already attempting to advertise the game, so why would they keep back the good parts? I'm especially skeptical of the game's supposed revolutionary content when id have a history of making gameplay that, by today's standards, is considered very shallow. No one still at id has ever been considered to be one of the greatest gameplay designers ever.
I would understand if all of you were only saying you were expecting simply a "fun" game, or a "scary" game, or a "game with a good engine". But many people here are touting the GAMEPLAY and STORY as strong points, two things which have not only been id's weak points, but have so far only been shown as below par. It sounds and looks like it will be: an on-rails shooter with the exact same super-cliche story as Doom 1.
I thought this before I saw any of Deus Ex: IW, and I thought this before I even though Half Life 2 was anything more than vaporware.
And the only actual defense I've gotten about my criticisms of id's game design is "you aren't allowed to judge it" or "we all expected it to be crappy from day 1".
And until someone comes for with something substantial to contradict my criticisms, that's all I have to say on the subject.

This comment was edited on May 17, 19:16.

286. Re: Ugh. May 17, 2003, 19:00 Xombie

Oh, feel free to be skeptical. All you want. Just quit presenting your opinion like its fact set in stone derived from some mystical source.
I think most people with a basic understanding of english are able to discern what is my opinion from what facts I present, without me holding their hand.

As for the "media curtain"... where do you live that devs are so forthcoming about their high profile projects? Has Valve kept you informed for the last five years?
Unless I'm mistaken, Valve gave the media a demo of the game with an explaination of it, at both their studio and E3 in the past two months, at the same time as the announcement of the game.

How forthcoming have Valve or Ion Storm Austin been on their respective projects in the last three to five years? None of them were admitted to exist until the last few months except for DX:IW and that just within this last year IIRC
Deus Ex:IW was officially announced over a year ago. Since then, ISA has given dozens of interviews concerning in-depth explainations of how they are designing the game.

Id tends to get a lot of scrutiny and most people want to know what Carmack and company are up to, so the basic knowledge they are working on Doom 3 has been out for awhile.
It was officially announced last year, with a huge setup at E3, and a playable demo both at E3 and QuakeCon. So yes, I'm very skeptical as to if they are actually holding back any details about the game, and if they are, it seems sketchy to do it after they intentionally garnered so much media attention.

That doesn't mean they are required to release anything else anymore than any other dev teams are.
I very much doubt that they would have a media blackout less than a year from release and after they have allowed the press to actually play a version of the game.

285. Re: What would you do with out it!!! May 17, 2003, 18:50 Xombie

HalfLife2, real innovative gameplay? No. Innovative presentation, but not gameplay. HalfLife 2 basic gameplay is no different than the original Doom.
Actually, it uses the most advanced version of Systematic Level Design yet seen. It's design allows for creative problem solving: the player can actually invent ways to achieve goals in the game, using the interactive environment. See Harvey Smith's presentation about it at the GDC on Gamasutra for a better explaination of this type of game design.

278. Re: Ugh. May 17, 2003, 10:13 Xombie

Xombie: "It's in the PC Gamer article last year, like I said."
Uh, Zombie... one thing... how much development goes on in a year?
That quote was in reference to an opinion id expressed in the article.

Actually they haven't given much of an example of anything, except visuals and a couple of vague statements.
A media curtain that is still in place over a year after the announcement of the game, and at the E3 of the year the game is supposedly going to be released?
Excuse me for being skeptical.

This comment was edited on May 17, 10:37.

269. Re: Hehe May 17, 2003, 01:14 Xombie

I was behind some building and walked up to this tire. Well, I bumped the tire and it rolled a few feet then toppled to the ground just like a tire would in real life.
Did you try throwing it past a guard? Supposedly they'll chase after it.

267. Re: Hehe May 17, 2003, 00:58 Xombie

LOL, I notice you deleted that last statment. Dont want the wrong eyes to see fault!
I just was looking it up and found out FPS is indeed a sub-genre.
Why wouldn't I edit it out?

And what the hell does all this have to do with anything?

This comment was edited on May 17, 01:02.

266. Re: Hehe May 17, 2003, 00:57 Xombie

Well, that's like saying its wrong to catagorize Nightmare on Elmstreet a 'horror' movie, because in fact there is some comedy in there. Word games.
I just brought up another survival horror game or two. PsycSui's the one who brought up the genre fight.

262. Re: Hehe May 17, 2003, 00:37 Xombie

Spare me. The genre is First Person Shooter. It may be slow and scary, but it's not a "Survival Horror" game.
Actually, the genre is "action". And if Doom 3 is actually going to be as scary as people are saying it's supposed to be, then it should fit "survival-horror".

This comment was edited on May 17, 00:47.

257. Re: Hehe May 16, 2003, 22:13 Xombie

Why don't we stay within the genre...
The genre called "Survival Horror". If Doom 3 is going to be slow and scary like you guys have been putting on, that's the sub-genre it's going to fit into.

This comment was edited on May 16, 22:14.

988 Comments. 50 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo