Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Xombie X

Real Name Xombie X   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Xombie
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description NEVER TESTED ON ANIMALS
SAFE FOR COLOR TREATED HAIR
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2001, 20:36
Total Comments 988 (Graduate)
User ID 10527

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Trailer
296. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 00:16 Xombie

Xombie...has me convinced its a crap game.
I knew you'd come around.

You've just never seen a real light source reflected off of a 3d object before in a game.
I know that is what's causing it, but that doesn't mean it makes it any less cartoonish-looking.
Pixel shaders don't do the same thing, which is why we don't see the same problem in HL2.

Well, its Doom, you've gotta keep saying something is wrong.
Well, I could keep pushing the sixth-grade-reading-level gameplay, but far too many people have said "well, duh" to that.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

295. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 00:11 Xombie

A person doesn't jutter like that. It's over-exxaggerated, much more so than an actor should be (Unless your in a play)
And it's the same situation as being in a play. In a movie or other recorded performance, one can assist to convey emotion with controlled lighting angles, camera work, etc. A play is live action, though, and there are many people in the audience with different perspectives. An actor must convey emotion more with using things like hand gestures. Not to mention that we are still miles away from completely photorealistic characters, and thereby facial features should still be supplemented.

It just doesn't look natural, which is what I thought HL2 was going for.
From the interviews and the way they've focused the technology, it would see more to me that they're going more for drawing in the player, and getting him/her to be, to a certain extent, emotionally attached to the characters. One of the things that Valve said they were happily surprised with in Half Life 1 was some players telling them that they had accidently gotten Barney killed, and felt a little guilty about it.
Bringing out emotion is what, in the end, draws someone into a story.

However, since you'll be with Alyx the most, I think it's something they need to work on.. If she would just fold her arms or leave them her hips or something it would look a world better..
I don't think that was what the scene called for, though. From what I saw, Alyx was more concerned than agitated. But this is one of those things that we'd have to really view it in its full context to understand.

287. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 20, 2003, 20:25 Xombie

The rest of us edit to add points or to correct a significant grammatical error, but Xombie has a habit of shooting his mouth
I've never edited out an insult. The only time I've deleted a post was because I realized it would only result in more personal attacks against people who don't like me disagreeing with them.

Obviously that's not going to prevent your unwarranted flames, nor the rest of the Doom 3 community's..

286. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 20, 2003, 20:22 Xombie

Look how her body moves while she's talking.. Her arms are jutted out a funny angles instead of being relaxed,
Good point.

and her body doesn't move like a normal person should.
How so?

285. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 20, 2003, 20:20 Xombie

Xombie? You like to complain about DOOM3 and it's shortcomings.
I'm not the only one, obviously. I don't see why you only reply to me.

Check out the shitty Alyx animation in the movie where Gordon knocks the monitor over. Alyx's movements are artificial and exaggerated.
-Artificial as opposed to what? (I'm asking)
-They're exaggerated just like an actor exaggerates, or how a public speaker waves his hands when he's speaking.

she spins around to see what is making the noise behind her she has the worst case of the "1-2-3"s.
I have no clue what that means. (note: That seriously makes no sense to me. what are you talking about?)

And so what if the NPC's eyes look so realistic?? I don't plan to be close enough to them long enough for it to be a big selling-point of the game.
It's the details that count. When the details are right, the whole thing looks better, especially with something like eyes. When the eyes look better, the entire character looks more realistic (this is a psychology thing).

It is probably easier to code for better eyes than to code for better models/animation
In HL2, the pupils of the eyes dilate depending on the distance of the object that the character is looking at.

personally think you still suffer with "Lara Croft-itis".
And I personally have never heard that term used anywhere, nor do I have any idea what you're referring to.

You are being pedantic in complaining about the "plastic sheen" of the D3 player model
No, I'm not. The "sheen" is apparent on more than just the characters, it's noticable in almost every model the lighting seems to hit. I don't know if it's just because Fred isn't used to doing non-cartoon models or what, but the textures are reflecting the light far too much throughout the entire D3 video and even in screenshots. (note: this is not opinion, this is fact, unless my eyes and the eyes of several people on this board are tricking us)

No game is even close to that level of realism.
I haven't noticed the same "plastic" effect anywhere in any of the Half Life 2 media. If you have, please point it out.

As far as we know DOOM3 could finish up with better gameplay and storyline, and HalfLife2 might have revealed the best of it's final content, the same way movies disappoint because they reveal themselves too extensively in their trailers.
Yes. They could. But based on the records of both companies and even what we've seen and heard so far, it doesn't seem very likely.

I will buy and play both games.
Then more power to you. But that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to criticize these games based on what the developers themselves have so far said and released.

Get over yourself, Xombie!! We have!!
And yet you replied to me, and then replied to me when I deleted my post in hopes to prevent a continued flame war. Apparently that's impossible anyway. It seems that everything I say you'll take personally and in a context of hostility.

280. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 20, 2003, 18:52 Xombie

-
This comment was edited on May 20, 18:56.

279. Re: texture change.. May 20, 2003, 18:38 Xombie

By the way, if you don't have 5.1 system and a top of the line gaming rig, don't nit pick,
I already have 5.1, but I'm buying a new system this fall, and new monitor. I made this computer back when Tribes 2 came out.

268. Re: Examples May 20, 2003, 10:29 Xombie

There's one thing with the physics that arent exactly right though. When the guy gets shot down from that...crane or something, and falls, he actually bounces up once when he hits the ground. Looks almost funny, but not realistic
I agree that the ragdoll physics don't seem to interact well with the environment. Also look at when Gordon blows up the soldiers when he's covering Barney, and one of them flies at the car.
But then again I think that all current "ragdoll" physics are dumb. Human bodies don't become silly putty the second they're dead. I've not yet seen ragdoll physics that really consider a realistic bone and muscle structure.

I mean "damage skins" have been with us for a long time now (Q2, Sin, Soldier of Fortune) And when those big aliens were hacking at the soldiers with big ass claws, they just fell down after a while, I don't even remember seeing any blood from the hits
I've seen screenshots of HL2 having damage skins (e.g.- the prison shot with the soldier fighting the ant lion), not sure why they don't seem as apparent in the demo.

This comment was edited on May 20, 10:32.

267. Re: Examples May 20, 2003, 10:24 Xombie

Watched the video out of curiosity and at the appointed moment well, er, Xombie... he's a becoming a zombie about then. His "snear" is quite normal until about then. His whole face tightens and "drys up". Yeah, at that point his snear is kind of unnatural, but so is he.
His sneer actually goes back down about half a second before he transforms into a zombie, so I very much doubt that it was an intentional thing to show his dry face. Especially when all that happens in his transformation is a texture change, not a model change.
Actually, I also noticed another thing: look at 1:23, at the zombie's lower lip. It's done in only six polygons, instead of a curved surface. His lip is just a 90 degree angle and a 45 degree angle.

The animations, outside of the zombies naturally (or should that be unatuarally?) looked quite fluid, certainly as good as the HL 2 animations.
The walking animations I'm not contesting.

264. Examples May 20, 2003, 09:33 Xombie

To be more concise on what I'm talking about with the animation: look at 1:19 into the raw footage of the D3 video on FilePlanet. It shows the flaw in the Doom3's animation (the marine's sneer coming to an unnatural-looking sharp angle). You don't see this problem with G-man's facial expressions in the HL2 demo movie. Even minor details, like a slight sway when he's standing in place, have been included.
In addition, on the same marine scene in Doom 3, you can see the "plastic sheen" problem the lighting causes (the ridge above his upper lip). Compare this to the lighting in the pan around the G-man in the HL2 demo.

263. Re: Doom III vs. Half-Life 2 (D3 vs. Source) May 20, 2003, 09:08 Xombie

[edit: hit wrong reply button]
This comment was edited on May 20, 09:34.

261. Re: Doom III vs. Half-Life 2 (D3 vs. Source) May 20, 2003, 07:43 Xombie

The Animations: Any other game I've seen don't quite come close to the animations of doom3
Actually, the HL2 animation surpass them. And yes, I'm stating this as fact. Not only does valve use a muscle system, which provides more realistic detail in both movement and facial expression, but they have also detailed the animation and models right down to the eyeballs.

personally I think Carmacks goal with doom3 is to take gaming a step closer to CG Movies (a'la shrek, toy-story, final fantasy, etc)
They certainly got the unrealistic plastic "sheen" problem down pat.

As a matter of fact id stated themselves that they used motion capture for the 'human' actors ingame.
Motion capture is industry standard, and humans only account for about 5% of the NPC's in D3 in any case.

245. Re: Doom III vs. Half-Life 2 (D3 vs. Source) May 19, 2003, 18:15 Xombie

Is it aboslutely neccesary to to decide which one is the best game?
No, but it's also not absolutely necessary to play video games.

This comment was edited on May 19, 18:15.

News Comments > DOOM III Trailer
334. Re: No subject May 19, 2003, 17:32 Xombie

Edit: I'm not going to feed the trolls anymore...

This comment was edited on May 19, 17:34.

330. Re: No subject May 19, 2003, 12:32 Xombie

Xombie can't make himself stop.
..says the person still posting.

328. Re: No subject May 19, 2003, 12:23 Xombie

I read it. It's where I quoted you from.
Read the last line.

This comment was edited on May 19, 12:30.

243. Re: Doom III vs. Half-Life 2 (D3 vs. Source) May 19, 2003, 11:57 Xombie

D3 with the immersion of the environment, the feeling of anticipation and the adreneline rush given how we've seen it used in D3) and HL2 with it's jaw-dropping effects that are sure to inspire new ways to think about gaming other than the techinical aspects, etc.
How does Doom 3 have immersion of the environment over Half Life 2?

SP vs. MP: D3 wins in SP. Source wins in MP. I believe that the SP "experience" is all about just that . . . being completely immersed in the game environment and given what I've seen, D3 wins here.
How?
It would seem to me that Half Life 2 has more advanced animation (dynamic, real time and muscle-based, rather than animated by hand), more detailed animation (e.g.- Alyx's eyes), more realistic look (e.g.- No plastic-like "sheen" on characters), an environment that is completely dynamic and physics-based (with the most realistic physics ever seen in any game to date), and doesn't even take you out of first person.

This comment was edited on May 19, 12:05.

325. No subject May 19, 2003, 11:53 Xombie

Hiroaki Zeta - You got here too late. Read 287.  

238. Re: Worked for me May 19, 2003, 09:18 Xombie

The thing with the flaming skulls in Doom is, they will be flying real fast when the game is going.
Yeah, but it doesn't stop with just the skulls. I've seen similar poor normal mapping on shots with lumbering zombies. Obviously they won't be moving quickly.
I'm not saying that there aren't similar low-poly characters in games like DX2 and HL2 (there are), but their artists have done a much better job of making the model textures in a way that hides them.

237. No subject May 19, 2003, 09:12 Xombie

How long do you think it will be before we hear the first person shout "Gravity Gun whore!"?  

988 Comments. 50 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo