Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Xombie X

Real Name Xombie X   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Xombie
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description NEVER TESTED ON ANIMALS
SAFE FOR COLOR TREATED HAIR
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2001, 20:36
Total Comments 988 (Graduate)
User ID 10527

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Preview
102. Re: Half-Life is great at what it does May 31, 2003, 02:48 Xombie

The more i look at the hud, the more it bothers me.
You mean the hud with the adjustable transparency?
(That's the only one that exists, btw...)

This comment was edited on May 31, 02:49.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Preview
101. Re: Half-Life is great at what it does May 31, 2003, 02:47 Xombie

Deus Ex does not have crap graphics
No, it did.

Tenebrae Deus Quake - yuck.
WTF? There's no levels there.

News Comments > Games on Trial
24. No subject May 30, 2003, 00:23 Xombie

Who gave this stupid ambulance chaser his bar?  

News Comments > Duke Nukem Whenever
31. Re: well... May 29, 2003, 18:08 Xombie

Saying you have more faith in Valve at this point is beyond moot.
How? It's his opinion.

News Comments > Breed SP Demo
87. No subject May 28, 2003, 08:55 Xombie

I kept getting stuck on hills (or sliding down them sideways for no reason), had enemies spawn three feet in front of me, two of my people died from being too stupid to take cover, and my heavy weapons dude got stuck on a flat surface and was unable to move.
And yet, when I got to the waypoint, I still heard a voice saying they would "wait here and secure the perimiter".

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Trailer
337. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 18:31 Xombie

While we are in nit pick mode, check out frame,LOL, 6:19 on the full half life video. This is the scene where Gordon beats down the zombie and knocks him into the water. What is the deal with the 2d green blood splatter? Lame!
I have no clue whatsoever.

Oh, and the crab zombies head looks plastic as well with that light reflection on top.
That would be the reflection off the wet blood.

336. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 18:27 Xombie

Mmmmmmmmm, Dues Ex 2! You could make the same comment about plastic sheen on that game. I doubt that will keep you from enjoying it.
I'm an Ion Storm fanboy. Not even God himself could stop me from liking DX2.

333. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 18:11 Xombie

Dues Ex, can it be finished without killing being done? Hmmmm. I didn't experience that. Can't say.
Alright, since it seems you aren't as marked out for DX as I am, I'll explain it to you:
Deus Ex was designed to allow the player to choose their own paths through levels and the game (and I'm referring to gameplay, not story, I'm not claiming the story was open-ended). Yet the way that the designers at Ion Storm intended the game, you had to kill three people in order to continue with the the game: Anna, Gunther, and a guy at Area 51...
HOWEVER, last year, someone succeeded in using Deus Ex's open-ended gameplay design to actually do what the designers intended as impossible: get through the game without harming a single person, including Gunther, Anna, and the guy at Area 51. Even Warren Spector himself had previously said this was impossible.
That is what Systematic Level Design is about. The player creates his/her own solutions to problems the game presents. This is what the physics and design of HL2 allows for.

I know that in Dues Ex 2 they stated that they improved alot on the differnt paths you can take and that 'yes', you can play the whole game stealth and not kill.
In Deus Ex 2, the designers are avoiding making the player kill anyone in order to continue with the game.

330. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 16:22 Xombie

No, the sheen is apparent on the metal of his armor, not his skin.
look at 1:19 into the raw footage of the D3 video on FilePlanet. You can see the "plastic sheen" problem the lighting causes on the Marine's skin (the ridge above his upper lip).

Yes, I have played Dues Ex.
Good. Now, yes or no: Can Deus Ex be finished without killing anyone? (think hard)

Ummm. are you admiting you were wrong about the Dolby 5.1 issue? LOL, Trent Reznor! You do know that was a silly comment.
No, I'm saying I'm right. When Trent left, he took ALL of his work with him. That includes all the 5.1 work he did.

So your saying they scrapped the Dolby 5.1 tech? They didn't get somebody else to take his place. hes was hired for his talent with making Errie sound fx. Please show me the article where its stated that this tech won't be in the game now
I never said the tech was scrapped. I'm saying the soundwork got scrapped.
http://www.theninhotline.com/
"Trent's music/sound will not be available for release in the retail game or in any further game demos."

This comment was edited on May 21, 16:24.

326. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 15:54 Xombie

Trent reznor was hired as a sound fx guy dufus. You should know that. He isnt the tech guy responsible for implementing true 5.1 dolby digital technology.
He was the one doing the sound design, including that which uses true 5.1 sound, "dufus".
True 5.1 sound is where the sound is designed to specifically take advantage of a 5.1 speaker setup, not just spread the default sounds out on 5 speakers and a bass.

The ragdoll physics in Doom are incredible. As are the Half Life physics
The ragdoll physics in both games look like crap. Ragdolling in all games right now looks like crap. No existing ragdoll system has yet to consider a muscle system in addition to a bone system. A human body does not turn into lighter-than-air silly putty when it dies.

You did say you havn't been proven wrong.
Then certainly you can post the full quote.

324. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 15:46 Xombie

True, you CAN do more within the invironment because of the games design.
Exactly. You can interact with the environment, use it to your advantage. You can play the game a hundred times and never play it the same way twice. The player can choose what to do, not just follow the developer's intentions.
This is Systematic Level Design. Read Harvey Smith's powerpoint on the subject on Gamasutra.

Move tables. Throw things. Nice gimmick.
Answer me a question, yes or no: Have you played Deus Ex?

I think we can both agree that WHITE is the most reflective color there is
A lab coat, when light is shined at it, makes a bright white color. NOT a reflective plastic sheen like that which is shown in the Doom 3 video.

Look at the Doom Marine. The plastic sheen is only on his armor(metal)
No, it's also on his skin. I already posted earlier the exact second where you can view an example of this.

This comment was edited on May 21, 15:48.

322. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 15:21 Xombie

Well, I guess a concrete judgement can't be made until the game has been played
Then don't read what I say if you have such a problem with me judging them.

Oh, and yea. What that guys said about the machine specs of the demo was true. Your still going to have to upgrade to play at the caliber you saw on the video. But it will be worth it.
You mean me?

321. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 15:19 Xombie

Xombie says he hasn't been proven wrong before???
No, he doesn't.

And why has nobody brought up the issue of sound? Is sound not important? Is it because Doom will be the first to bring us true Dolby Digital 5.1?
When Trent Reznor left the project, he took all of his soundwork with him.

the professional story writter for the game
That doesn't mean it will have a good story. Plenty of games in the past with professional storywriters turned out to have a crap story.

the incredible ragdoll physics...
"incredible" how? It looks to me they're no better than the Math engine's ragdoll physics.

320. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 15:11 Xombie

I didn't say anything about being all-positive. Just from what I have seen in the trailers, if DOOM3 got a 10 for it's graphics then HL2 would get a 7.5.
I beg to differ. Doom 3 has sacrificed detail in order to accomodate the lighting engine. Just look at the textures and the blarinly obvious low-poly parts of the models.

Can you explain to me how you can someone "have a bias, albeit a scattered one."??
I'm talking about your bias on certain parts of the games. You don't seem to have any "we'll wait and see" opinion on any part of the games. You have a bais towards Doom 3's graphics for instance, while not its story.

We should all pray that they were only trying to show the game in it's best possible light and that I will be able to play it reasonably on my Athlon 1600+XP with GF3 Ti200: I don't think so!! If I get a better fps with D3 than HL2 at the same res and qual then I will be royally pissed off.
Doom 3 doesn't need the system as much for its advanced graphics so much as its advanced rendering. It still uses the same tecniques today's games use in most places (Normal Mapping on low-poly models, hand-animated models, low-res textures at distance, etc.)
For HL2, you need a top of the line system because it seems to use features just added in DX9, the advanced AI, and especially for the physics. Not to mention they have deformable environments. Newell says that the deformable environments' LOD-based system won't require a beefy computer, but as someone who used to play Red Faction multiplayer, I'll believe that one when I see it.

318. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 15:02 Xombie

You defend Half Life2 with the same gusto that you bag Doom3.
And you act surprised about it in every reply you make to me.

Give us a break!! It is going to be the first game of it's kind to use this level of lighting.
That doesn't mean that it's OK to leave in side effects of the lighting tecniques, though.

Maybe there is this level of sheen when there isn't much ambient light to upset the direct path of the ceiling light to the sweaty forehead of the player model, or the slimy skins or the monsters from hell.
I would say that's a possibility, if it weren't for the fact that the same "sheen" effect is apparent on the lab coats of slmost every scientist in the video.
I think we can both agree that white labcoats aren't made of reflective surfaces.

How can you even begin to comment on the gameplay unless you have even sat down and started playing the game??
I'm not the first one to say I expect Doom 3's gameplay to be simplistic. Hell, a lot of Doom fans have come out in these threads and said it themselves.

What grade of gameplay is HalfLife2 going to have??
From the level of environmental interaction that Valve has already proven in their demo, it looks like they're using a type of Systematic Level Design.

What grade of gameplay does any game have. After all, they are all only games.
That's the poorest excuse for lazy game design I've ever seen.

News Comments > Washington's Game Law
26. No subject May 21, 2003, 01:18 Xombie

If you outlaw video games, then only the outlaws will have video games.  

302. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 01:16 Xombie

What interests me is what the designers have DONE with the tools at their disposal. HL2 seems to have a much greater variety in terms of locations, characters (monsters) and gameplay. That's enough to convince me that I will enjoy HL2 more.
It seems to me that Carmack is way out in front of the rest of id, and they're trying to trail behind him. His technology always has potential, but it's far more advanced than the technology it needs to truly use it. Just like one can look at Quake 3 and then look at JK2, and it's astounding that it's the same engine. What the Source engine seems to do is use perfectly the current ability of cards, rather than forcing sacrifices in order to achieve innovation in engine tech. It's reinventing the wheel, rather than attempting to create a prototype of what could replace it.

301. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 01:10 Xombie

I will admit that my opinions are as biased as the next person's. The difference between me and someone like Xombie is that I like both games and am trying to see the positive side of both and not dwell on the negative of either
You've said several times though things like "Doom 3's animations will be better than HL2's". That's most certainly not an all-positive viewpoint. The all-positive viewpoints we see are the ones who come in and say "both these games look superkickass", and that's all. You do indeed have a bias, albeit a scattered one.

Both are going to have some bad points, but I am not going to go out of my way to identify them before I even play either game because that will ultimately ruin my gaming experience.
That's you, though. I appreciate a game more when I analyze it and argue about it. It helps to see the details that I usually wouldn't notice and be able to appreciate.

Most of his issues are so trivial that, upon reading, I often ask myself, "WHO REALLY GIVES A F**K ABOUT THAT??"
Obviously, I do.

He likes to be the harbinger of bad news, but he gets too much joy in telling us how much this news is going to hurt.
The truth sometimes hurts. And it's not like I've never been proven wrong before. Hell, I certainly got bitchslapped on what I posted in a thread last month as soon as I heard Gabe Newell mention that the lighting in HL2 was using Pixel Shaders.

Xombie won't even accept the argument that we won't know, for sure, the true extent of each games problems until we actually play through them
Only because that's not really an argument. I'm willing to be wrong about stuff. That's the best way to learn things.

refer DOOM3 thread where he harped on about the PCGamer [BIBLE] article from last year when given this argument
All of my comments on the Doom 3 article from PC Gamer are in reference only to what the developers were quoted as saying.
I'd be stupid to trust any of PC Gamer's preview opinions.

I will be hoping the upgrade will be good enough to play any game using the D3 engine. I hope HL3 is one of those games, unless Valve write a game engine that does the best parts of HL2 and D3 at the same time.
Much of what Valve was still working on in the Source engine was cut in September of last year (their own internal deadline for the large engine work) and held off for HL3.

My only consolation in knowing that HL2 will not look as good as DOOM3 is that I should be able to play the damned game without buying any new hardware.
Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news once again, but that system that was demoing HL2 at E3 was top-of-the-line. Radeon 9800 and an Intel 3 ghz. And from the looks of it, the framerate didn't seem phenomenal in some of the heavy action sequences.

Can you please make a list of all the DOOM3 issues you know of so far??
I'll try it tomorrow.

299. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 00:44 Xombie

Mag's got a good point, and one that might also explain the amount of expression Alyx uses. It would seem that, when considering the G-man demo, that Valve programmed the AI with actions that show certain emotions. Alyx's expressions and body language are combonations of things that the AI does to show what appears to be "concern".  

298. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 00:40 Xombie

But you only like focussing on DOOM3's shortcomings and HalfLife2's strong points.
You seem to have missed the several posts in the other thread where I said that Doom has a great lighting engine. You also seem to have missed where I concurred with the oddness in HL2's ragdoll physics, and when I agreed that Alyx's arms being held out looked wrong.

My point here is only that it is possible to find issue with HL2's animation system
And I have agreed with some points on that.

"1-2-3"'s: As Alyx spins around she looks like she is folkdancing in a wheelchair.
You mean how her upper body turns? Look closer, and notice how her right shoulder dips down as she turns. She's actually just pivoting and slightly twisting to look behind her.

"Lara Croft-itis" is where the attractiveness of a female model in a game has more to do with an opinion of the game than the content (a la' "Tomb Raider"). I do not really believe you have it, but you do go on about Alyx's eyes.
I'm using her as an example of the eyes simply because that's the example that sticks out in my head: Not only was she the example used in the majority of articles I've read, but also because that's the only character that one saw for an extended period of time in the GameSpot demo movies (which didn't include the G-man demo). The same eye effect is actually included with every character.

Have you noticed that Alyx's model is significantly better done than the other characters, and I'm not just talking about how beautiful she is.
I think that G-man's model seems to have as much detail as Alyx.

So F**KING WHAT?? Even with this sheen the models are significantly better looking than the models in HL2. When they are moving you will not even notice the flat edges so much so it may not be such a big issue anyway.
If the polys are more obvious, then the models can hardly be said to be "better done".

Oh, Xombie. You have such a high opinion of yourself.
Why would I have a low opinion of myself?

I do not mean to be hostile.
I'm not sure where you grew up, but where I come from, telling someone to "grow some balls", to "get a life", and accusing them of "shooting their mouth off" isn't quite considered friendly.

But should we sit back and let you post your somewhat biased opinions, and then not pull you up about criticisms that can be applied to both games
I'm perfectly welcome to you doing that. I've been perfectly welcome to people disagreeing with me. What I'm not welcome to you doing is outright insulting me. It's unnecessary and serves only to incite a flame war. You do not need to tell me to "get a life" in order to prove your argument.

Anyone could spend their time picking faults with HL2, and there a lot of faults in both games. But who cares??
I do, because I enjoy analyzing games. I enjoy the concept and theory of game design. I like arguing about it. Just like there are people that will argue with you until they're blue in the face that Freddy is better than Jason.

As I said before: "in five years both of these games will look like shit."
And in five years, all of us nerds will be arguing about two different games.

988 Comments. 50 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo