Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Xombie X

Real Name Xombie X   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Xombie
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description NEVER TESTED ON ANIMALS
SAFE FOR COLOR TREATED HAIR
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2001, 20:36
Total Comments 988 (Graduate)
User ID 10527

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Half-Life 2/ATI Bundle?
52. Re: No subject Aug 3, 2003, 19:57 Xombie

Can someone clarify why people are saying the 9500 isn't a DX9 card?
Because the ATI website was advertising the 9600 as the first DX9 card. My mistake, though, I guess.

Not sure why Hellbinder took it so personally...

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. No subject Aug 3, 2003, 14:22 Xombie

Unless you only upgrade for FPS, you should DEFINITELY buy a 9800 over a 9500. The 9500 is DX8. Many of the things you see in the HL2 demos are DX9. With a 9500 you won't have to worry about getting better FPS, as you're going to automatically have graphical features barred from your use.  

21. Re: No subject Aug 3, 2003, 14:16 Xombie

Get a 9500 and spend the rest on ram, or better yet get a real sound card and stop using that cruddy onboard audio.
The 9500 isn't DX9, actually. So it won't be able to use all of HL2's features.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. White Wolf Jul 29, 2003, 11:11 Xombie

For you World of Darkness fans out there, I have some very important news:

http://www.timeofjudgment.com/

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. DAMMIT Jul 19, 2003, 13:06 Xombie

I soooo had this idea 7 months ago!
MMO's fit perfectly in an anthropological study. They are a culture within a subculture. They have their own values, rules, ettiquette, deviance, even their own economic systems. It's brilliant!
/me runs off to sue the University of Washington

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 13:08.

News Comments > Consolidation
3. Re: umm DUH Jul 18, 2003, 11:59 Xombie

I have a hard time understanding how their marketing department is going to convince people to pay over $250 for a single game
Well, considering that they convinced people to pay $200 for a single game already...

News Comments > Game Movies - More Half-Life 2
26. Quicktime versions Jul 18, 2003, 01:36 Xombie

Gamespot has copies of Quicktime versions of all the bink videos (actual direct feed, non-shaky) for those of you that want ff/rew.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/media.html

News Comments > Game Movies - More Half-Life 2
25. Re: hmmmm Jul 18, 2003, 01:34 Xombie

wtf pray tell are we all d/ling the already seen 500+ meg vid from E3????
Bink video > shakycam

News Comments > etc.
1. Retarded petition Jul 16, 2003, 11:51 Xombie

Fileplanet people getting their demos as exclusive is absolutely no different from magazines who get exclusives on their cover disks. And that's been happening for a decade.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy: Shadows of Undrentide
44. No subject Jul 2, 2003, 19:00 Xombie

Another thing: NWN was originally announced as multiplayer-only, when it was announced officially at GenCon '99:
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=postmessage&boardid=1&id=0&threadid=4360

42. Re: No subject Jul 2, 2003, 16:29 Xombie

I wonder how many people they suckered into getting it, expecting an awsome pnp experience and then they were told by assholes "dude0r, teh game is 4 teh online play."
How in the hell did you expect to get any sort of a PnP experience without a DM?

NWN wasn't sold as an "online rpg toolkit designed to let players make games."
No, that's not a fact. 3/4 of the hype about the game was the Aurora toolset. Hence the release of it before the game shipped. Also notice the back of the box.
It was well known by the gaming community that the big deal was the DM part. If you didn't know this, then you must have been living under a rock for the last four years, or simply didn't research the game before you bought it. Did you think they released TWO guides for the game just for fun? No. They released it because half the game was modules.
Anyone that expected BG3 wasn't looking at any previews, they were looking at the word "Bioware" on the box, and thought that it would be a typical Bioware game.

but at $80 (NWN + Shadows) I should be getting a game that makes Fallout or Planescape look like Paper Mario...
I don't care if it was even $200, or a million for that matter. If you expected on any level for Bioware to top classics like Fallout or Planescape then you were only tricking yourself, and it was no one's fault but your own.

Maybe you should actually stop rushing out to buy games simply for their developer.

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 16:36.

News Comments > Rise of Nations Postmortem
6. Re: *Sigh* The Death of Another Game Jul 2, 2003, 11:57 Xombie

Yeah. A "post mortem" is just a post-development analysis of how the development went.  

38. Re: Good extra content for developers Jul 2, 2003, 11:52 Xombie

I go and pay extra 10$ and register on some site to download some modules
Why would you have to pay extra? Or register, for that matter.
Most of the NWN modules in existence are available free, without registration, on NeverwinterVault.

34. Re: Good extra content for developers Jul 2, 2003, 11:28 Xombie

My opinion is simply that Bioware is just trying to cover the tracks of poor game design by saying the game is community driven.
No, the game was always intended to be community driven.
-This is why the OC's are separated into parts, and only a few things can carry over from one chapter to the next (so that people can start their groups on any chapter they want)
-The is the sole reason for only having one henchman (the OC was designed primarily for parties consisting of players).
-This was the reason why they put so much emphasis on the toolkit (which had a beta released before the game came out)
-This is the reason why bioware has "neverwinter wednesday" to provide more community resources (e.g. the release of knolls, kobolds, and the like in subsequent patches)

I could continue on this, if you'd like.
The game was meant primarily for multiplayer. The game design reflects this.

13. Re: Pick your name: Jul 1, 2003, 23:54 Xombie

Is this the expansion that adds actual role playing?
Actually, yeah. It does.
I'm sure you didn't expect that answer.

News Comments > The Case for Fallout 3
10. Re: Replaying Fallout Tactics Again Now. Jun 18, 2003, 20:58 Xombie

Yeah, too bad IPLY lost the DnD license, I would have liked to play Jefferson/BG3.
Why? Bioware made BG1 and BG2. Black Isle made IWD.

News Comments > Star Wars Galaxies Date & Subscriptions
51. No subject Jun 17, 2003, 18:15 Xombie

In other words, this game, after you have already purchased it at $50, will cost an additional $180 in order for you to be allowed to play the game, for only the next year. Or you can take Sony's generous offer and they will allow you to play your copy of the game for the next year for $144, again in addition to the purchase price.
And all this money garauntees that you can play a game that, by the nature of its current business model, will be buggy and nearly unplayable for at least that first $180 year you are paying for.

And what does this add up to? Paying almost $200 minimum in order to play a game that is nearly unplayable and 100x as buggy as a game that costs a fourth of the price.

This is why I don't like MMO's, and I'm guessing this is why so many MMO's are failing. Hopefully, the trend of failure will continue.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 18:23.

News Comments > Ultima Rumors
4. No subject Jun 16, 2003, 11:56 Xombie

Sweet!

It's the next game in the PC Ultima series.
-It's not Xbox, since EA hates Xbox.
-It isn't MMO, since then they'd be calling it UO and not Ultima.
-It isn't for Gamecube or PS2, since that would be silly.

News Comments > No Xbox Half-Life 2?
39. Re: Reality check Jun 9, 2003, 14:06 Xombie

Xbox will be around long after Valve has faded away into obscurity, just like every other narrow-franchise gamedev house has.
What are you talking about? The Xbox has only been around for, what? Two years? Valve has been famous for five years, and are coming out with one of the most anticipated games of all time.

Assuming the story is correct and not just a MS propaganda ploy, you don't succeed in business by pissing off the 8 billion pound gorilla.
You do if you're a 9 billion pound gorilla that has MS by the balls, in other words, if you're Valve. Valve's largest market is the PC. Even if they would put it on xbox, they'd just be doing it for a little extra gas money.

News Comments > No Xbox Half-Life 2?
38. Re: No subject Jun 9, 2003, 14:02 Xombie

I have a feeling HL-2 will be on X-Box, Valve just isn't ready for the announcement. There will be no exclusivity. It will be similar to Splinter Cell, PS2 will get it, but it will look and play like ass.
I see no logic behind that theory.

988 Comments. 50 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo