Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Xombie X

Real Name Xombie X   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Xombie
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description NEVER TESTED ON ANIMALS
SAFE FOR COLOR TREATED HAIR
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2001, 20:36
Total Comments 988 (Graduate)
User ID 10527

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gold - Deus Ex: Invisible War
30. Re: No subject Nov 26, 2003, 00:20 Xombie

Good lord, I haven't seen this much negativity toward a game based on a demo since Daikatana!
That's because Daikatana is the last time a demo was released before the game itself.

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 00:21.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Official statement Nov 25, 2003, 23:17 Xombie

They already said 100% of their resources will go into Thief 3 after releasing Invisible War. We will never see a significant patch, an SDK, or anything
When did they say that? I'd certainly like to read it.

24. Re: Deus Ex 2 Nov 25, 2003, 23:09 Xombie

In the original you had to worry about something called "hack skill" (what does that mean anyway?!? IT'S TOO CONFUSING!) and running out of time when hacking. It was complicated! Now all I do is walk up and press "use" on the pad and I hack it in a matter of seconds, without any sense of danger or threat to my intelligence!
All you had to do in the original was put a single point into hack skill, and then learn how to type/click fast. Seriously. Try it.

23. Re: No subject Nov 25, 2003, 23:07 Xombie

All the crying over this game is amusing. It's not as good as DX1
This has nothing to do with DX2, but...
Nothing will ever be as good as DX1. The fact is, that DX1 was so great because the community found ways to screw with the game itself. People are still doing things in DX1 that ISA specifically attempted to prevent the player from doing in the game. The lack of developer control and prhibitions put into the game design is what allowed the gameplay to become as great as it was.
It had shitty graphics (even for 2000, DX1's graphics were atrocious and they spent very little time on them), piss-poor voice acting, and a story that was ripped straight from "Paranoid Nerd Monthly".
What will happen with DX2, I don't know, I can't predict, and I can't even begin to observe since I'm stuck with my old-as-dirt GF2 until Christmas. But don't expect anyone soon to actually DESIGN a game better than DX1 on purpose. Even the the greatness of DX1's design was a fluke.

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 23:16.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Invisible War Demo Delay
36. Re: ugh... Nov 20, 2003, 18:31 Xombie

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 18:31.

News Comments > Deus Ex Movie/Interview
41. Re: WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SUPOSSED TO MEAN Nov 19, 2003, 04:43 Xombie

About it being "less polysyllabic"??!?!?!
He means the ridiculously complicated philosophical conversations that JC broke out into with everyone he met.
He had a political science debate with a goddamn bartender. How was that necessary to the story of the game? There's a big difference between intellectual and boring.
This comment was edited on Nov 19, 04:44.

News Comments > Deus Ex Movie/Interview
13. Re: FTP Video link? Nov 18, 2003, 16:46 Xombie

Good lord man, at least post a spoiler warning if you don't blank out the text when talking about the ending of a game. Some of us have still not gotten around to finishing the first game (I've been busy).
Dude, it's been out for three years.

News Comments > Gold - NWN: Hordes of the Underdark
25. Re: meh Nov 18, 2003, 14:44 Xombie

I think NWN sucked. The third-person view was horrible--you had to zoom in to see any detail; but, if you stayed zoomed in, you could miss something up ahead.
So you're saying that you hate any RPG except Morrowind?
In any instance, Bioware has unlocked the camera for HotU, and improved the graphics so that there are skies and the like.

I was personally bored out of my skull by Morrowind.

News Comments > Gold - NWN: Hordes of the Underdark
4. No subject Nov 17, 2003, 23:41 Xombie

Hooray for robes!!!  

News Comments > DX: Invisible War Interviews
71. Re: Deus Ex Fanboy Arrives Nov 16, 2003, 23:51 Xombie

I agree that it makes the interface look like it's on your eye, but more immersive? Now way! In fact it's exactly the opposite; the most immersive games are those that completely minimize or eliminate the interface (like URU).

When is the last time you heard of a design studio come out and say "For our next game we're going to try to make the interface larger, and obscure more of the viewing area with icons"?
Never. There isn't even such a thing in DX2, due to the opacity.

As for it fitting their design goals, well I'm sorry but the notion that "It's what Warren Spector wanted to accomplish, therefore it is right/good" doesn't wash with me.
I really don't care. He's complained about the interface from DX1 being too complicated and out of place since before DX2 was even announced.

I think it's pretty telling that the more opaque the interface gets, the more acceptable people find it.
Right. It tells that rational people can deal with a compromise, rather than whining until they get their way.

67. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2003, 18:39 Xombie

Yeah, I can see what you mean about the vision focus. However, while our eyes do function like that (or similar to that) in real life, I don't think its quite right a game.
Maybe the average game, but for Deus Ex, the design focus is put on immersion and conceptual realism.

I kind of think of this as permenent sniper mode. You field of view is more limited (from the centre of the screen to the inside edge of the HUD) and its more or less circular.
It isn't like sniper mode, though. In sniper mode, your vision is artificially/intentionally limited. Everything outside of the circle is blacked out. It is impossible to see the outside edge of the screen. What people are talking about with this HUD is that your attention is taken away from the outside edge. It's obvious that you still can see the outside edge if you want to, due to the transparency of the HUD and the fact that the vision outside the HUD isn't blacked out.

66. Re: Choices Nov 16, 2003, 18:34 Xombie

Forcing the player to make choices in games is good. It gives the player the feeling they are more in control, that their choices have actual consequences, that they have a hand in their destiny. In Deus Ex 2 we can no longer choose..
If you read the previews, especially the new IGN preview, you'll notice that they're adding other choices to the game, including the penalties of black-market biomods, and a choice wether or not to trust certain people (something that was aggrivatingly impossible in DX1), among other things.

65. Re: Deus Ex Fanboy Arrives Nov 16, 2003, 18:25 Xombie

The interface is awful. By putting it in a ring around the center of the screen, you're creating a visual barrier that makes it very hard for people to shift their attention to the edges of the screen...
The point of the interface is not ease of use. The point is is not interrupting the flow of play, and adding to immersiveness. No matter how much you preferred the DX1 interface, it worked against these principles.
The interface is obviously intended to make it appear like you have an interface on your eyeball. That is what they are attempting to accomplish, because it is the only option that conforms with their design goals (which are the same design concepts touted with DX1).

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 23:52.

64. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2003, 18:17 Xombie

Well, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that EVENTUALLY some president was going to go hunt for terrorists, I just don't think that Sheldon Pacotti realised it was going to happen approximately 3 months after his game was released
Again, notice the i
i itself.

40. Re: No subject Nov 16, 2003, 11:21 Xombie

Go back and replay Deus Ex. You'll be amazed how much of what occurs in the game has occured or at least resembles what has occured in the Post-9/11 world.

Check this out: http://members.lycos.co.uk/xombieftp/other/dx.jpg
It's from one of the newspapers at UNATCO on Liberty Island. Note the quote from the president.

31. Re: IM a bit worried... Nov 16, 2003, 01:19 Xombie

Damn editting...

Can someone please inform me as to how skill point allocation, information windows in your eyeballs, and aligning items with an inventory grid DON'T break the flow of gameplay?
If you were a cyborg secret agent, would you have those? No. You'd have removable augmentations, a circular UI that shows all necessary info without needing to fiddle around, and holsters for your weapons.

By the way, the length and interface of the first game are things that Warren has been lamenting in interviews since before the X-box was released. It was impossible to even finish DX running through it without spending an exceptional amount of time doing so.

30. Re: IM a bit worried... Nov 16, 2003, 01:12 Xombie

Can someone please inform me as to how skill point allocation, information windows in your eyeballs, and aligning items with an inventory grid DON'T break the flow of gameplay?
If you were a cyborg secret agent, would [i]yo/i] have those? No. You'd have removable augmentations, a circular UI that shows all necessary info without needing to fiddle around, and holsters for your weapons.

By the way, the length and interface of the first game are things that Warren has been lamenting in interviews since before the X-box was released.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 01:17.

News Comments > Temple of Elemental Evil Demo
22. Re: losers Nov 8, 2003, 01:48 Xombie

and no amount of patching is going to make ToEE any better...its a sad attempt at what '80s era SSI and Bioware already did/are doing much much better.
Recreate a classic D&D module into a turn-based RPG?
Maybe in your bizarro world...

News Comments > Black Day at Black Isle
17. Re: NDA Nov 8, 2003, 01:40 Xombie

Edit: Yeah, I definitely don't want anything to do with this thread.
This comment was edited on Nov 8, 01:45.

News Comments > Game Movies
1. DX2 trailer Nov 4, 2003, 22:45 Xombie

Aw hell yeah!

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 22:46.

988 Comments. 50 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo